Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Saturday 7 August 2021

Puddledyke - on 4th August, 2021

I have been so far behind with my photo processing and blog posts, partly due to the huge number of photos that I have taken, but also due to monumental work being needed in both our front and back gardens. This was not helped by a week away in the New Forest in Hampshire where a few thousand photos were taken - mainly of dragonflies and damselflies - I shall start work on a blog post covering that visit soon.  And then there's a whole lot of catching up with what's been happening around our garden and nearby locations, again with plenty of dragon interest. The solution is to provide you with a quick blog post while I get to work on posts that will be a little more involved.

This post covers a visit earlier this week to a location which is known as Puddledyke. Puddledyke is a small lake that came into existence as a source of puddled clay for the foundations of the nearby dam that was built to create Cropston Reservoir. Until a few years ago, it was a managed fishing lake, but it has now fallen into disuse. However, there are five small 'fishing pegs' still extant which are in reasonable condition, although access to them is not so great.

Last year (2020) at about this time, I found my first ever Small Red-eyed Damselfly at this location - a species that is rather rare in Leicestershire and Rutland. I was determined, therefore, to return this year to see if there was a breeding colony.

I arrived to find the site more overgrown than I have previously experienced. The lake is only really visible from the fishing pegs and these are all accessed by a steep drop of approximately 4ft (1.2metres) via 'steps' roughly hewn into the clay. These can be treacherous in wet conditions - it was, however, not wet that was a problem this day, but long grass growing over the steps and hiding them, which meant that every step had to be gingerly felt for before committing one's weight. The platforms which form the pegs are approximately 1.5 metres square and vegetation has grown to partially envelope them, so the viewing vista is not that good. Add to the above information the fact that my balance seems to have deteriorated in the past few months and I also have difficulty in steadily rising from kneeling or sitting on the deck, and you can see that the conditions were a little limiting!

The first peg didn't produce anything other than a brief sighting of a passing male Migrant Hawker. 

The second peg was a little better as there was a male Ruddy Darter with an established territory, and a few Emerald Damselflies.

Ruddy Darter (Sympetrum sanguineum) (male) - Puddledyke
Emerald Damselfly (Lestes sponsa) (male) - Puddledyke
The third peg had various damselflies , but photography here was difficult. I did manage a very poor record shot of a pair of Emerald Damselfly in tandem.

Emerald Damselfly (Lestes sponsa) (male+female) - Puddledyke
The fourth peg, which is where I had the Small Red-eyed Damselfly last year, turned up trumps, but not with that species. As I landed rather inelegantly on the platform a rustle from beside me drew my attention to a Brown Hawker flying away from the bushes on my right. It flew around for a while and then came back and settled, although not in the best of positions. Remember - I had very little room to manoeuvre.

Brown Hawker (Aeshna grandis) (female) - Puddledyke
Brown Hawker has a reputation for constantly being on the wing, with unpredictable flight patterns, and rarely settling for a photo. I get opportunities most years, but usually of ovipositing females. It is rarely that I get close to a perched one. I was, therefore, delighted when this one left her position and moved to a slightly less cluttered one a little closer to me.
 
Brown Hawker (Aeshna grandis) (female) - Puddledyke
She moved again, but this time to a rather inconvenient position and then flew under the peg that I was standing on and disappeared into the shrubs beside me. It was time for me to move on to check out peg No.5.
 
Peg No.5 had very little in the way of odonata activity round it, but it did give me an appreciated opportunity to photograph a female Emerald Damselfly.
 
Emerald Damselfly (Lestes sponsa) (female) - Puddledyke
I now felt it was time to explore the path that headed north from the east side of the lake in the hope that it might give views from the west side. However it just kept heading north and I turned back when I arrived at an open field of short grass.
 
There's a small meadow that runs along the east side of the lake and has a tall hedgerow with mature trees on its eastern side. Last year I had my eye on harvesting sloes from this hedgerow to make sloe gin, but then lockdown came. Maybe I'll do better this year. I have also occasionally noticed dragonflies flying up from the lake and heading up high into the trees of this hedgerow. I decided, therefore, that it was worth a look. I'm pleased to say that this paid off in the form of an immature male Migrant Hawker. I'm guessing that it was probably at a height of about  six or seven metres, and probably about four metres back from the front of the hedge, so I was not able to get close, but it was good to see.


Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta) (immature male) - Puddledyke
I then made up my mind to do a return circuit of the fishing pegs. At peg No.1 I saw a male Migrant Hawker fly past and disappear round the corner, but attemps to find it again failed.
 
Little was seen then until I reached peg No.4 once more. Here I took some shots of a distant Ruddy Darter.
 
Ruddy Darter (Sympetrum sanguineum) (male) - Puddledyke
I also spent a little more time concentrating on the damselflies in the hope of spotting a Small Red-eyed Damselfly - an objective in which I failed.
 
Emerald Damselfly (Lestes sponsa) (male) - Puddledyke
Azure Damselfly (Coenagrion puella) (male) - Puddledyke
The biggest surprise came when the Brown Hawker reappeared and, having settled in a couple of difficult places for photography, clearly came to check me out and, presumably having decided I was not a threat, settled on the peg approximately a foot (30cm) from my feet! These are not the best of photos, but they do represent a remarkable situation.
 

Brown Hawker (Aeshna grandis) (female) - Puddledyke
I had been on site for a little over an hour and a half when solid black cloud and wind rolled in and it was time to head home after a highly enjoyable, and somewhat memorable, short dragon hunting session.
 
 
I'll now start work on my next post which I hope will not be too long in the making. Until then, thank you for your visit. Take good care and stay safe. - - - Richard
 
 

24 comments:

  1. A cracking post Richard with a whole stack of beautiful photos. Love the Brown Hawker shots. A species I try to capture every year but fail every year. Keep up the good work and blog. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc. I think that we must be particularly lucky in these parts. Brown Hawker is not a species that I can go out specifically to photograph, but they do cooperate from time to time.

      Wishing you the best of luck - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Brown Hawker close up, all them need mentions. but, you have done it, look after yourself Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. I'm doing my best to get out and about and still staying safe, and I hope that you are doing the same.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Hello Richard, Some great photos you were able to make of the Dragonflies and Damselflies. The Brown Hawker is one I never saw. What a beauty. And more to come I understand, succes with sorting out all the pictures you took.
    And news from my part via David is ok with me. Thank you so much.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roos. The Brown Hawker is quite common in England, but not usually very easy to photograph. I was lucky on this occasion!

      I am pleased to report that I am now up to date with my photo processing. I now just have to catch up with my blog posts.

      My very best wishes to you - my fingers are crossed - Richard

      Delete
  4. Nice post, Richard, with some first class macro work. Puddledyke (sounds like a name Edward Lear might have come up with!) is evidently a great spot for odenata. I suspect that this is the maximum flight period for the species you cover in this post. Your shots of Brown Hawker seem to be eliciting cries of envy from some of the other commenters. I try not to get into the business of picking "favourites" but I find the Emerald Damselfly (shown in the guide I use as Common Spreadwing) exceptionally attractive. it's great to be out and about isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Puddledyke is not usually the best of places to photograph odonata, David, and I usually pop in for a visit on my way to other more productive places, and this had been my intention on this occasion. However, time ran away with me and then the weather collapsed so I never moved on.

      Emerald Damselfly can look absolutely splendid in the right setting, but that would be difficult at this location. My go-to guide also mentions Common Spreadwing as an alternative name for this species, but Emerald Damselfly is the norm in UK.

      Yes, it is great to be able to roam once more - if only we had the weather to make it worthwhile!

      Delete
    2. Thank goodness for scientific names!

      Delete
  5. Your physical efforts were well rewarded!

    I fully appreciate the images of the Brown Hawker since it seems to have cooperated a bit by actually perching. All of these photographs are simply marvelous, Richard!

    Now, you have me feeling guilty for not being outdoors chasing odes today! My only excuse is that I am allergic to lightning. Tomorrow is another day ....

    Gini and I hope you and Lindsay have a wonderful new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that I'd want to be out in the countryside when lightning is around either, Wally. I do like to watch it from a safe position, however, and photographing it is a fun challenge too!

      Thank you for your kind words and wishes. It looks as if we're in for a dull wet week (and we may even have some lightning of our own!). I hope that your week will be more productive and enjoyable.

      Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hello Richard
    enchanting creatures always a highlight to see them, first-class photos
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frank. Watching dragonflies and damselflies is one of my greatest pleasures, and it usually means that I am enjoying warm sunshine at the same time too - what better way is there to soothe the troubled mind!

      Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Lovely subject fine photography, wonderfully put together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those kind words, Dave. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Hello Richard,
    I admire the people who photograph dragonflies. It is a subject that I never have much luck with. Excellent pictures. Take care.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mike. Apart from being in the right place in the right weather conditions, it is also a a matter of luck - and quite a degree of patience!

      Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hi Richard, beautiful serie dragonflies. Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a superb set of photos, I feel like they are popping out from the screen and that macro shot is just amazing. Glad that you managed the steps with no disasters, these photos make it all worthwhile, but without you patience and skill we would not get to see these insects at such close quarters. Thanks for taking us along.
    Keep safe, very good wishes to you both, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those kind words are very much appreciated, Diane. Thank you for taking the trouble of enduring your horrifically slow internet in order to visit! I'm sorry, but my next post is going to be a bit longer, with more photos.

      Best wishes to you both. Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.