Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Monday 14 February 2022

Sniping! - on 3rd February, 2022

It had been several months since I last paid a visit to Hicks Lodge, although it is only about one and a half miles (2km) from my home. This was partly due to the access path that I usually use being prone to flooding in the winter months. As we had recently enjoyed a short dry spell , I decided to give it a whirl.

Having parked in the Oakthorpe Colliery car park I headed up the track towards the main lake. I was very pleased to find that the path through the areas that were often flooded had been raised and drainage pipes ran underneath it.

On my way in, I spotted a Buzzard high up over the the distant woodland.

Common Buzzard (Buteo buteo) - Hicks Lodge 
My main reason for wanting to visit this site was to see if I could find Common Snipe as they are often here in good numbers in the winter. Via a somewhat circuitous route, I stealthily approached the edge nearest the small island on the main lake only to find, to my dismay, that it had been totally cleared of vegetation and was almost certainly totally unattractive to roosting Snipe.

It was time for a wander round the edge of the lake to see what might be around. Canada Goose were there in good numbers and, as usual, gave plenty of vocal warning before taking off to depart.

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) - Hicks Lodge
Canada Geese, as with other geese, also like to noisily announce their arrival.



Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) - Hicks Lodge
As I approached the western end of the main island on the lake, which was well-vegetated, I spotted a Snipe resting at the water's edge.

Common Snipe (Gallinago gallinago) - Hicks Lodge
The above image was heavily cropped from a shot with the lens at the full 500mm. Here's one that I have only cropped from top and bottom, just to set the scene:-

Common Snipe (Gallinago gallinago) - Hicks Lodge
I was a little surprised, on further examination of the shot, to find two other Snipe in the photo. The yellow lines, below, lead to them, but you probably will still not be able to see them!

Common Snipe (Gallinago gallinago) - Hicks Lodge
The same thing happened with the next Snipe that I found. This was my target bird.

Common Snipe (Gallinago gallinago) - Hicks Lodge
- and these two show a bird that I had not noticed to the left of my target.
 

Common Snipe (Gallinago gallinago) - Hicks Lodge

I then had a walk round the site before returning to this island with the Snipe, taking the opportunity to photograph a Great Crested Grebe as I did so.


Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus) - Hicks Lodge
Back at the island, I spotted what initially seemed to be two Snipe together, but then looked as if it could be three. Again, when studying my shots later, I found that there were at least five Snipe in frame - the one just to the right of the group of four (or maybe more?) is just visible.
 
Common Snipe (Gallinago gallinago) - Hicks Lodge
My last Snipe find was what I thought to be a single bird, but turned out to be two when the photos were studied.

Common Snipe (Gallinago gallinago) - Hicks Lodge
It was now time to wend my way homeward. I took some shots of Coot and Moorhen as I passed.

Coot (Fulica atra) - Hicks Lodge
Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) - Hicks Lodge

From by the hide, which was locked closed, I took some shots of the very distant Goosander. There was a male with six females. I also took some shots of Lapwing, which had come in to roost on the denuded island.

Goosander (Mergus merganser) (females + male) - Hicks Lodge
Lapwing (Vanellus vanellus) - Hicks Lodge
I'd just set off on the track which would take me back to my car, when I heard my name being called from behind me. It was my old pal 'Doc Martin', who I had not seen for a long while although we had been in contact. We had a much-appreciated chat for about twenty minutes before I had to depart as I was on cooking duty that afternoon.

As I passed down the track to my exit point, there were foraging geese on either side of the track. Photographing them through the hedge was a bit of a challenge, especially as the light had nearly gone.

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) - Hicks Lodge
Greylag Goose (Anser anser) - Hicks Lodge

It had been a highly enjoyable short visit, which included a stark reminder as to how cryptic a Common Snipe's plumage can be. With my binoculars, I thought that I'd seen six Snipe, but my camera witnessed twelve! If I'd had a 'scope, I might well have seen more.

That's it for this post. There will probably be another one from me in about a week. In the meantime, take good care of yourself and Nature - - - Richard

 

12 comments:

  1. Hi Richard! Awesome bird sightings,-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Richard, :=) Outstanding water fowl shots. Fantastic captures of the Canada Geese, the in flight shots are wonderful, and I love the landing picture. The Common Snipe is so well camouflaged that it is difficult to see in the tall grass which has the same colours as the Snipes plumage. Well spotted!
    Enjoy the rest of the week
    My best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sonjia. I'm delighted to know that you enjoyed this post, as it is a little different to ones that I have done lately.

      My very best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. It does my heart good, Richard to see CANADA Geese ruling the roost over there! Your experience with snipe mirrors my own to a great extent. They are very adept at remaining concealed, and I too have found additional birds when looking at photographs. Further than that, I remember a few years ago, taking a picture of a couple of Greater Yellowlegs posing nicely, and when I looked at the picture later (this was in the days of film!) I saw two Wilson's Snipe camouflaged in the vegetation behind them. That's perhaps why snipe are always such great birds to see! Best wishes to you and Lindsay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this neck of the woods, David, Canada Goose is probably the most numerous og the goose family. with Greylag lagging a little behind. I too am always excited by the sighting of a Snipe, as you may remember you witnessed when one walked in front of the hide that we were in at Low Newton in Northumberland. I have so many good memories from your visit!

      Sorry for the late reply. My very best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. A wonderful set of photos but I am amazed that you managed to see any of those Snipe their camouflage is so good. I often find it surprising what the camera has picked up when taking a photo that I did not know was there! Despite the one island being cleared, I am glad that you managed to track the Snipe down elsewhere. Lovely birds, something I will have to look out for when in the right place.
    Very best wishes to you and the family, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might easily have missed seeing the Snipe if I hadn't been confident that they'd be there somewhere, Diane. This site is well known for having good numbers of snipe at this time of year, and late in the day is a good time to spot them.

      We're currently battening down the hatches ready for what is reckoned to be one of the worst storms with the highest wind speeds for many years, due to hit in the early hours of the morning. Fingers are crossed!

      My very best wishes to you and Nigel - stay safe - - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Hello Richard, stunning photos of the Geese in flight! Love the Snipes, they are so well camouflaged. Therefore a great reward to discovver more and more of them.
    Good they fixed the path for being able to walk it and keep dry feet.
    Regards, from a verry stormy Belgium. Hope you did not have problems with it in England.
    Monday they come to fix the roof tiles here that were blown of the roof of our apartment.
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that you had problems with the roof tiles, Roos, but pleased to know that you are getting someone to fix it on Monday. Here, it seems to be extremely difficult to find anyone to any maintenance or building work - most of the tradesmen seem to have a waiting list of three to nine months! We escaped with just a small piece of roof trim blown off. However, we have a new storm ("Franklin") which started during the last hour, and fingers are crossed once more!

      Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hello Richard
    the plumage of the snipe is very well adapted to the vegetation, so it ensures its survival against predatory game, i can remember a photo of you where a little owl was sitting in a tree and you had to search for a long time to find it, something similar happened to me just looking for the snipe ... great contribution
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frank. I do not think that I will be posting any more challenging searches for a while. Hopefully, my next post will show everything clearly!

      My very best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.