Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Tuesday 8 February 2022

The Last Knockings of January - 24th to 30th January, 2022

I did quite well during the last week in January, managing five trips out during the seven days. Here are some of the highlights from that week.

Monday, 24th January

Calke Park covers a very large area, and there are several possibilities for access other than via the main vehicular entrance. On this occasion, I decided to take a route that I had not done for a couple of years or more, and park in The Round Car Park near the south end of Staunton Harold Reservoir, walk down to the reservoir and then take the path that heads round the inflow to the west and continues into Calke Park, and then to the main car park at Calke Abbey. 

As I passed round the edge of the reservoir, I saw Coot, Tufted Duck, and a very distant Little Egret.

On entering Calke Park, the Goosander were not on the pool by the weir (Little Dogkennel Pond) where I have seen them recently.  Further into the park, I found a Red Deer stag taking a rest. 

Red Deer (Cervus elaphus) (male) - Calke Park
Having taken a left turn on the track, I found Fallow Deer with a group of three demonstrating some of the extensive colour variation found in this species. I am not sure if these were females or youngsters, although I suspect the former.

Fallow Deer (Dama dama) (female or young?) - Calke Park
When I arrived at the pool (Mere Pond) below the main hide and the abbey car park, I spotted a pair of Goosander sleeping on the far side of the water, sadly somewhat obscured by branches.

I was lucky enough to arrive at the hide in the main car park and find it unoccupied. I had about fifteen minutes on my own here before someone arrived and I felt the need to leave. During that time, I managed to photograph a few birds, including a Brambling. Although drinking from a man-made trough, I show my photos, mainly because of the beauty of the bird, and those fabulous markings on its back.

Great Tit (Parus major) - Calke Park

Treecreeper (Certhia familiaris) - Calke Park

Brambling (Fringilla montifringilla) (male) - Calke Park

Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus) - Calke Park
Having departed the hide, I noticed some Redwing that were not too far away for photography. Here is one of them.
 
Redwing (Turdus iliacus) - Calke Park
Setting off back towards my car, I found that the Goosander on Mere Pond were awake, and had been joined by another, giving me some photo opportunities, although the light was fading by now.
 
Goosander (Mergus merganser) (female) - Calke Park
Goosander (Mergus merganser) (male) - Calke Park
As I passed oalong the shore of the reservoir, a Great Crested Grebe took my attention.
 
Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus) - Staunton Harold Reservoir
Tuesday, 25th January
 
Until this winter, it was a rare occasion when we had a visit from Pied Wagtail. However, this winter we have had almost daily visits, especially when the weather is cold when a wagtail seems to be omnipresent. This day was really special, as we had an unprecedented three birds visiting us. I did manage a record shot with all three in frame.
 


Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii) - garden on 25th January, 2022
It is always a special day when we get a visit from the delightful Long-tailed Tits.
 

Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus) - garden on 25th January, 2022
That afternoon I returned to Calke Park, this time walking in from Staunton Lane, on a track from which, in the past, I have seen Little Owl, Mandarin, and Redstart - I had no such luck this time, however! I did see some Redwing, which were not very cooperatve.

Redwing (Turdus iliacus) - Calke Park
My walk took me to Calke Explore where I found the nearby hide vacant. This gave me a few photo opportunities, although nothing unusual was seen.
 
Great Tit (Parus major) - Calke Park
Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) - Calke Park
Robin (Erithacus rubecula) - Calke Park
Dunnock (Prunella modularis) - Calke Park
- it's not until you get close-up and personal that you see how attractive a Dunnock's face is with those 'rays' emanating from below the eye.
 
I left after about quarter of an hour as the light was failing, and set off over the hill to check out how easy it was to get to the hide in the main car park on foot. It turned out to be a pleasant walk. I got to the hide by the main car park and was, once again, lucky to find it unoccupied. I only stayed about 20 minutes as the area in front of the hide was in shade and light levels very low. I did, however, manage a few photos.
 
Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis) - Calke Perk
Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus) - Calke Park
Greenfinch (Carduelis chloris) (immature) - Calke Park
Brambling (Fringilla montifringilla) (female) - Calke Park
Near the hide, as I left, was a very fine Red Deer stag, having a rest.
 
Red Deer (Cervus elaphus) (male) - Calke Park
I needed to avail myself of the 'washroom' before heading back to my car. Everything at the abbey was closing down as I arrived, and my biggest surprise of the afternoon was the Grey Wagtail by the buildings. I wish that I'd been better prepared.
 
Grey Wagtail (Motacilla cinerea) (1st winter) - Calke Abbey
Wednesday, 26th January
 
This day saw me having a short walk from the nearby village of Packington. It was not a productive walk, but an enjoyable one - until I came to go home and found I'd got a flat tyre! Our Smart doeas not have a spare and the emergency kit did not put enough into the tyre to drive on so I had to get Lindsay to come out and rescue me with a tyre inflator. It turns out that, somehow, the tyre had got split on the inside wall and a new tyre was required. 

I did get some shots of a Kestrel on a pole, and also some when it few off as I walked down the road.
 

Common Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) (female) - near Packington
Along this road is a property which has a very small front garden, in which I usually see a peacock. This bird seems to be totally unconstrained, and struts about freely.  On this occasion, I thought I'd take its photo. It obviously had expectatations, as it immediately strutted over to me as if to ask what reward it was going to receive for its cooperation.


Indian Peafowl (Pavo cristatus) (male) - near Packington
Thursday, 27thJanuary
 
On this day, I visited a local trail that I'd not been on for more than three years. This is the Ashby Woulds Trail which runs on the course of a disused railway line. I joined the trail at Donisthorpe and headed south towards Measham.

In an area where I had been lucky enought to see Glossy Ibis and Great Egret (together) in 2018, the most interesting thing I could find was a distant Egyptian Goose.

Egyptian Goose (Alopochen aegyptiaca) - from Ashby Woulds Trail
Just beyond this area, I noticed a board describing access to Woodland Farm. Having not been aware of this before, I took this side path. The path itself didn't provide anything of interest, but I found myself arriving at Jack's Pool and the lake at the western end of Saltersford Valley Country Park. Here, at the edge of the lake, I found a female Goosander. It's not often that I spot a Goosander out of the water.
 
Goosander (Mergus merganser) (female) = near Oakthorpe
On my retuirn journey, I saw what struck me as a strange sight - three Grey Heron in a field just standing there! It's a rubbish photo as there were intervening branches close to me, but I feel it is worth publishing here.
 
Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea) - from Ashby Woulds Trail
Friday, 28th January
 
This day, I had a very short excursion (but my fifth trip out in successive days!) to nearby Thortit Lake. I didn't find much to photograph, but couldn't resist this swan which had adopted what I find to be a very attractive pose with its wings arched over its back.
 
Mute Sawn (Cygnus olor) (male) - Thortit Lake
At one point, I was trying to track a flying heron with my camera, expecting it to land at the water's edge. I was not expecting it to fly into the relatively dense woodland of Willesley Wood and disappear from view.
 
Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea) - Willeslety Wood
Saturday, 29th January
 
Sightings of Siskin in the garden this winter have, sadly, been almost as rare as hen's teeth - and that's my excuse for publishing another 'bird on feeder' shot!
 
Goldfinch (Carduelis cartduelis) + Siskin (Carduelis spinus) (male) - garden on 29th January, 2022
Sunday, 30th January, 2021
 
It had been another good week for garden birds, with 24 species visiting. The regular Goldcrest was last seen on 26th January, but we were, and still are, getting regular visits from Brambling and Blackcap. I'll end this post with a shot of a Blackcap, a species that, until this winter, has rarely graced our garden.

Blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla) (male) - garden on 30th January, 2022

That's it for now. I have a suspicion that my next blog post might feature a single recent visit - but that may change. In the meantime, take good care of yourselves and Nature - something that our government seems to be incapable of doing! Best wishes - - - Richard


21 comments:

  1. Excellent post Richard. What a great set of shots with some real quality in there. Too many to name but love the Brambling shots. Top birds. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a real delight, having the Bramblings back this winter, Marc. We're still seeing male and female on a daily basis. I'm hoping that they'll hang around for a while. as we did once have another good winter (even better than this one) when they were still with us until the males were nearly fully black-mantled.

      Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Five from seven in the same week Richard. I have been known to often do three in the past, rarely four, but your five!

    As ever an excellent marathon records and images. Continue to take care Richard, you never know.

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, that week was followed by one when I only got out once, Pete, but at least that was one of my more interesting walks.

      In spite of what the government are telling us, Covid infections are increasing alarmingly in this area. Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos as ever. Certainly been a bumper year for Brambling. Haven't seen them locally but quite a few places I've visited such as the Lea Valley & at Lynford Arboretum in Norfolk. Have heard of a flock exceeding a thousand birds in crops near Reigate, Surrey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem to be a bumper year for Brambling. We have had large groups of several hundred reported in Leicestershire but I haven't been to see them as I wanted to avoid the crowds. I guess that there must have been a large influx from mainland Europe. I'm hoping that they'll stay around for a while

      Delete
  4. The plumage on the Brambling is unbelievably beautiful, Richard, and I am sure I am not the only one who is glad that you were able to show it to us. The other thing that impresses me instantly is the magnificent stag Red Deer; that is one spectacular creature and seems to be in absolute peak condition. The ladies will be unable to resist him! It's great to have a spot like Calke Park so close to home. Best wishes to you and Lindsay. David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if you remember, David, but I had the pleasure of taking you and Miriam into Calke Park when you visited. We didn't go far in, but it was on the track that I mention above, from which I have seen Redstart, Little Owl and Mandarin. I'm pretty sure that it was on that occasion that I spotted the Redstart where I was used to seeing Little Owl, and then Miriam, with her eagle-eyes, spotted a Little Owl at the base of a tree, where I'd not seen one before. Happy memories of your visit will always remain.

      Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. I do remember that whole sequence, Richard. In fact now that you remind me I will reread my blog post sometime this afternoon.

      Delete
  5. The last week of January reads like a chapter from "Richard's Greatest Hits" album of birding! Not content with the diverse avian collection visiting your garden, off you went, hither and yon, to find beautiful birds begging to be photographed!

    Seriously, Richard, we are extremely heartened you were able to get out for five days in one week to enjoy, well, just being OUT! Being cooped up due to weather, disease and whatever else conspires to keep us from birding takes a toll on our psyche.

    This superb collection of photographs makes me want to jump up and head out to see what I can find! But I shall attempt to stifle the feeling at least until I finish typing this.

    You are correct about the close-up of the Dunnock! What exquisite detail showing the facial patterns and plumage.

    Gini and I hope you and Lindsay are off to a good start in a brand new month! You have set the bar quite high with this January summary and we can't wait to see what's next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For various reasons, Wally, the first week of February resulted in only one birding outing, but it was a relatively good one, although nowhere near up to your standards! This week has, thus far, been totally unproductive, although I am working towards going out this afternoon with fingers crossed.

      Thank you for all your kind words. Wishing you and Gini all the best - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Wow! There is everything wonderful to describe! Absolutely awesome subjects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing collection of birds but the Long-tailed Tits are a winner, they are just so cute. That is an incredible shot of the Dunnock. I see one here from time to time, but it is generally in hiding and almost impossible to get photos of though I did get lucky the other day.

    I follow a post that is Nature in the Dordogne, they seem to get so many Bramblings there, I have yet to set eyes on one! Admittedly they are all jealous of 'my' Cirl Bunting 😉

    Keep safe and enjoy your birding. Best wishes to you and the family Diane
    P.S. I hear the Little Owls outside, it sounds like 3 calling in different directions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that if any bird deserves the title of 'cute' it is the Long-tailed Tit, Diane. It's not just their appearance, but their behaviour too!

      I'm encouraged by your continued hearing of calling Little Owls. I shall be looking forward to you showing us some shots of some soon. They should be getting more active fairly soon now.

      My very best wishes to you and Nigel - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Hello Richard
    January is over and you have made great trips, plus the beautiful pictures, I like everything very much... here with me only rain, rain, rain... and cloudy weather, which doesn't allow for high-contrast pictures... but spring is here in the starting blocks... thanks for showing, stay healthy
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't had too much rain lately, Frank, but it has been dull, sometimes foggy, and often with a strong cold wind. I try and get all my jobs done when the weather is not so good, so that I have time available when the weather is better - but it does not always work that way!

      Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Beautiful images Richard, love the Bramblings and the Treecreeper, fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're very lucky this year, Bob. The Bramblings are still with us. In fact, today was our best day as we had two males and a female in the garden. Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Hello Richard, : What a bumper selection of beautiful birds. I enjoyed your visit to Calke Park, and the wild life you were able to photograph there. The Stag Red Deer is an impressive creature, and i loved the image of the female deer all gathered together, and the male and female Goosander. The plumage of the Brambling is shown in all its glory in your pictures, as is the beautiful close up of the Dunnock. I can't remember when I saw a sweeter picture than the two Long-tailed Tits, just a beautiful picture, and of course the charming vogtails, and voggster!! You made me smile with your story::=)) last but not least I'm pleased to see that the male Blackcap is still visiting your garden, your capture is beautiful.
    Thank you once again for a most delightful visit.
    Best wishes, and stay safe.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kinds words, Sonjia. Anyone who reads your comment mentioning vogtails will wonder what that's all about. Maybe I should publish the story here, although I think that I possibly did when I wrote my blog report on that visit to Scotland so many years ago.

      Take good care and stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.