Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Tuesday 15 March 2022

Local Visits in February, Pt.2 - 2022

I did not get out much in February, mainly due to adverse weather conditions. Previous blog posts have already covered excursions in early February. Here is a short account of those that I made later in the month.

Saturday, 12th February                 Ashby Woulds Trail

I'd been informed of Earthstar fungi along the disused railway course near my home which is now part of the Ashby Woulds Trail. I am not at all knowledgeable about fungi, but this particular species appealed to me because of its unusual form, and so I decided to take a look. In the event, I found something that I thought might have been one, and I have since been informed that it was one, but a very old specimen that had its 'rays' peeled back and decayed to the extent that they were almost non-existent.

Collared Earthstar (Geastrum triplex) - Ashby Woulds Trail
Being a tad disappointed, I continued my search and soon found myself elated by the sight of a species of fungus that I have always wanted to see since coming across a picture of it - the Scarlet Elf Cup. I found several patches of this. It was a dull day, and there was relatively dense tree coverage so the light was difficult for photography. I did manage a few shots.


Scarlet Elf Cup (Sarcoscypha austriaca) - Ashby Woulds Trail
I understand that Scarlet Elf Cup makes for good eating, but it would seem a shame to pick such a beautiful thing - and Lindsay would never trust a fungus that I foraged, even if this is relatively unmistakable!

I photographed a couple of other fungal items but have absolutely no idea what they are.

unidentified fungus No.1 - Ashby Woulds Trail

unidentified fungus No.2 - Ashby Woulds Trail
Wednesday, 23rd February                       Hicks Lodge
 
I had limited time available this day due to two scheduled deliveries of materials for a garden construction project, and the delivery and installation (which failed!) of an oven for the kitchen. I did, however, manage to get out for a walk to Hicks Lodge.
 
In an earlier post I commented on how the small island on the main lake had been totally denuded of foliage and was no longer a haven for Snipe. All I'd seen on it were a few Lapwing and a gull or two. I was, therefore, surprised to see it almost covered by gulls on this occasion! I had a scan of the occupants, and only detected Black-headed Gulls.
 
'Gull Island' - Hicks Lodge
Although nothing outstanding was seen, the light was quite favourable for photography.
 
Coot (Fulica atra) - Hicks Lodge
Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) - Hicks Lodge
Oystercatcher (Haematopus ostralegus) - Hicks Lodge
Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) - Hicks Lodge
....... and one for David! :-
 
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) - Hicks Lodge
Friday, 25th February                   Little Owl Site No.54 and environs
 
I'd made several visits to the site where, in January, I'd had my first sighting of Little Owl in 2022, and a totally new site for me. Sadl;y, I'd not managed to see the owl again, and was starting to think that this was a chance one-off sighting.
 
It was just over a kilometre from where I park my car to the place from where I'd seen the Little Owl.  As I walked along the lane, I was hearing the chatter of Fieldfare. A few flew overhead from time to time and some landed briefly in a tree at some distance. I grabbed a shot, and it was only when I came to view the shots on my PC that I found that I'd actually photographed a lone Redwing!
 
Redwing (Turdus iliacus) - near my LO Site No.54
To my absolute delight, when I arrived at the point from which I could view where I'd seen the Little Owl, an owl was sitting in almost exactly the same place.
 
Little Owl (Athene noctua) - my Site No.54
The owl was over 100 metres from a point from which it can be viewed, and there is no access to anywhere nearer. Unless I catch it away from this position, I do not stand much chance of getting any better shots, and as soon as the tree comes into leaf it will become invisible.
 
As I passed along the lane on my way back to the car, I stopped to photograph a distant Buzzard.

Common Buzzard (Buteo buteo) - near my LO Site No.54
A little further on I was in Fieldfare country once more. I managed to photograph one that was momentarily in a tree ahead of me.
 
Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris) - near my LO Site No.54
I then noticed a number of Fieldfare on the ground on the far side of a paddock adjacent to the lane. This one was a little closer.
 
Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris) - near my LO Site No.54
I noticed one bird with the the group which, head-on, looked very different to the others, and appeared to be somewhat rufous with dark patches to the side of the breast. I started wondering if I had found an exotic thrush amongst them. My binoculars were not powerful enough to see clearly what I was looking at. The bird stayed adjacent to the far fence and I spent quite some time trying to get shots of it. It was only when I got home again and examined my photos that the penny dropped. I don't see Fieldfare very often and, when I do, they are invariably in winter plumage. This was a Fieldfare that was well into breeding plumage. At this distance, I did not get good shots, but the following two might help you understand the situation.
 

Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris) - near my LO Site No.54
The most common gull in these parts is, by far, the Black-headed Gull. This is probably because at this location I was about as far from the sea as it is possible to get in England. Just to keep my hand in, I attempted a shot as one passed overhead.
 
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) - near my LO Site No.54
 
This brings me to the end of my blog post. As Lindsay and I have just returned from a week on the Isles of Scilly, I am hoping that my next blog post will feature at least part of that visit.
 
Until then, I wish you all the best - take good care of yourselves and Nature - thank you for dropping by - - - Richard

 

34 comments:

  1. Hi Richard
    The Scarlet Elf Cup is fabulous, the Elvish getting a drink, ha ha. The Oystercatcher flying is beautiful, and the Fieldfares, they are splendid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. Your comment stirs up Tolkienish images in my mind! I'm pleased that you enjoyed the Oystercatcher and Fieldfares. I expect that they've all gone from the local area now.

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. As ever, an excellent account of your later February trips Richard.

    My daughter found the Scarlet Elfcup on a walk just a few weeks ago, a beautiful thing as you say, but apparently they can be confused with Ruby Elfcup, and not separable with out a microscope, but the Scarlet is more common.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither of the two books I have on fungi include the Ruby Elfcup, Pete. I must look into that further.

      Berst wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. Quite a bit about the Scarlet and Ruby Elfcups here https://www.first-nature.com/fungi/sarcoscypha-austriaca.php

      Don't know whether or not the link works Richard, but as you can see the website is First Nature.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for that, Pete - very interesting!

      Delete
  3. Hello Richard:
    We have Scarlet Elf Cup here and I had no idea it was edible. Not that it would have made any difference, because it adorns the woodland so beautifully, and it would be a shame to pick it. I do pick honey mushrooms in the fall, however, and they are delicious. Seeing these images from Hicks Lodge brings back happy memories for me since I remember it was the first place you took Miriam and me after we arrived at Ashby-de-la-Zouche. Wrong time of the year for Fieldfares, unfortunately. I have never seen one, nor a Redwing. And I am very partial to Turdus thrushes. Best wishes to you and Lindsay, David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it should be Ashby-de-la-Zouch.

      Delete
    2. As far as I'm concerned, David, the edible aspect of wild fungi is a minefield that I'm not ready to enter any time soon.

      I had forgotten that I took you to Hicks Lodge. I gets a bit busier there these days and, for that reason, is not quite as attractive as it used to be.

      I am surprised that Fieldfare and Redwing are not on your life list. I'm now wondering if your world-wide travels have not included Scandinavia.

      Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
    3. Zouch is the current spelling, David, but I believe it used to be Zouche, so no error on your part.

      Delete
    4. Scandinavia is sadly lacking on my list of areas visited. I am quite sure that if I came to Britain in the winter Fieldfare and Redwing would be easy to see, but I suspect that is not in the cards. Miriam has pretty much sworn off overseas travel in recent years, especially those involving long flights or connecting flights, so I am happy that she is now musing a little about the two of us going to Iceland together. She went there three years ago, before COVID, with her daughter but we would probably go for two weeks and do a much more thorough exploration of the island. Time (and COVID) will tell! It's a direct flight from Toronto of less than five hours so it's doable.

      Delete
    5. Iceland is a place that I quite like the idea of visiting, David, now that they are intending to stop the annual whaling licences in 2024. It seems that there is little demand now and the practice has virtually come to a halt anyway.

      Delete
  4. Hi Richard! Wonderful posting! Awesome birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. I expect that those thrushes will be quite familiar to you as summer occupants? Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Hello Richard,
    even the short walks are tough, I would have walked past the owl... but you know the spots and have that specific look :-) nice post
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to get more sightings of that owl, Frank, but I know that it is going to be difficult!
      Best wishes from a beautifully sunny England - - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. You may not have been able to get out much in the latter part of the month, but you certainly made the most of the times you DID make it out!

    Fabulous fungi! It's still a world mostly foreign to me. I hope to be more observant this year.

    All of the bird images are simply gorgeous. I am especially partial to the Oystercatcher against the sky. Also, the Fieldfare is a terrific example of the Thrush family.

    Your post certainly makes me feel that Spring is hurtling headlong toward us and I say "Hurry up"!

    Thank you so much, Richard for sharing the results of your excursions.

    Gini and I are doing great and hope the same may be said for you and Lindsay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels even more Spring-like today, Wally, with warm sunshine and two species of butterfly in the garden.

      I do not see myself delving deeply into the world of fungi anytime soon. I have enough trouble with ID of taxa that I'm more passionate about!

      We're not doing too badly, thank you, although Lindsay is having major mobility problems with a knee which is currently under investigation. It's good to know that you're OK over there.

      Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Beautiful local birds. Almost the same as in our country. Beautiful blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geographically, we are not so very far apart, Caroline, so we will share many birds with you. However, I suspect that you are a bit nearer to the see than I am, as I do not often see sea birds!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Hello Richard, :=) The Scarlet Elf Cup was a wonderful find. Although there are numerous fungi on the farm, I have never seen this beautiful fungus. I would not have picked it either, it would have been a shame to disturb it from the bed of moss. I think the small island is quite unusual, it's name would indicate that gulls are used to occupying this space, and it's a lovely photo.Your in flight capture of the Oystercatcher is stunning, and not a bird I have seen flying before. It's just one of the many beautiful birds you photographed, and I enjoyed seeing, especially the Little Owl. I miss seeing them, now that my travelling days seem to be over. Thank you for a most enjoyable post Richard.
    Have a good day and my best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your very kind words, Sonjia.

      I don't think that small island has any recognised name - I only named it 'Gull Island' because of my observation and photo that day!

      Oystercatchers in flight can be a wonderful sight, especially when there are several together.

      I hope that you are now fully recovered from your tummy bug - best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Sorry, I am doing a very bad job of keeping up with blogs!! Magical bits of fungi, we have lots around here but I have no idea what they all are!!!

    The Fieldfare are fabulous I will swop you one for a Cirl Bunting :-)

    Take care and I am delighted that you managed to get away for a week, we so need a good holiday!

    Keep safe, and best wishes to you and the family. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No apology necessary, Diane - I fully understand!

      I'd happily swap a Fieldfare for one of your Cirl Buntings, but I fear the opportunity will have passed, as I think that the Fieldfare have mostly departed to their summer residences.

      I hope you both get your much-needed holiday soon. Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. I hope that all is well and that your trip to Hospital went as well, or better than planned. Thinking of you. By the way, the Cirl Bunting seems to have become a regular! Cheers, Diane

      Delete
    3. I'm fine thank you Diane. It was a minor op that was going to be done under general anaesthetic, but they switched to doing it under local anaesthetic at the eleventh hour. Just waiting to hear what the lump they removed was. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Hi Richard,
    what beautiful mushrooms you show here. You would almost think we were in autumn hihi.....
    But there are also enough birds in it. Also in the Netherlands there are now many Fieldfares and Redwings. You were able to take beautiful photos. Your little owl makes me discolor a bit again (healthy jealous). It was once again enjoying this beautiful series.

    Kind regards,
    Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to hear from you Helma! Sorry that I make you a bit jealous with the Little Owl. I used to see them very often, but now they are quite difficult to find because, sadly, their numbers have dropped dramatically.

      Thank you for dropping by. Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. Hello Richard, hope you had a great time on the Isles of Scilly. This post is wonderful and with some great photos. The photo with the Canada goose in your header is wonderful.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a very enjoyable time, in spite of bad weather, thank you. Unfortunately it meant the photographic opportunities were not so good, however. I do like to take photos of birds in flight - because that is what birds do!!! I'm not so good at it, but sometimes it works out OK as with the Canada Geese.

      I hope you are OK and in good spirits. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  12. Hello Richard, I am so sorry that you had so much trouble in visiting my blog, but thank you for trying, and I am delighted that you managed to convince Norton that their stringent anti-virus methods of protection, in my case were unfounded, and my blog is perfectly harmless to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleased to get it sorted out, Sonjia, as I would hate to be excluded from visiting your blog!!! Best wishes - - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.