Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Wednesday 6 April 2022

Owl Therapy - on 25th March, 2022

Since returning from the Isles of Scilly on 14th March, I have been somewhat preoccupied with trying to work through just short of three thousand photos shot during that break, and making a new door for a brick outbuilding, punctuated by what seems like a continual stream of medical visits. In fact I have just counted and have had visits to four different hospitals in that time, plus two other medical facilities. However, I am pleased to say that none of these seem to be concerning anything serious, although I am still awaiting completion of investigation on two counts.

Lindsay, unfortunately, has also had a few medical visits and her situation is rather more serious. The prognosis for her is that she will have a knee replacement later this year. We are hoping that this will alleviate her rapidly diminishing mobility.

This will be a relatively short blog post, just to keep the ball rolling while I sort out a report for my Isles of Scilly break.

On  Friday 25th March, I felt that I needed a break and so, having packed a picnic lunch, I set off eastwards to see if I could find a Little Owl. 

I was sorry to see a tree that, for many years, had been a favoured nesting site for Barn Owl had been destroyed in recent gales. 

Further on, at my Little Owl Site No.23, I found the barn that I regularly used to see owls at had been almost totally destroyed in the gales.

The disappointment continued when I found that a chain saw had been taken to the tree the was my LO Site No.37. I was no long fit for habitation.

I stopped for lunch at my favourite picnic site, which also happens to be my Little Owl Site No.34. No owl was showing at first, but part-way through my lunch, an owl appeared in the opening to the nest cavity.

Little Owl (Athene noctua) - my Site No.34
After my lunch, I set off once more and was soon approaching my LO Site No.42 - an owl was visible as I approached. With well-practiced fieldcraft I managed a shot of the owl, which was still in place as I left.
 
Little Owl (Athene noctua) - my Site No.42
Now feeling considerably happier than I was an hour previously, I felt that it was time to head a little further afield and set off for Eyebrook Reservoir.

Eyebrook was a pleasant experience although nothing outstanding was seen. The Cormorants were resting in their favourite place at the inlet end.

Cormorant (Phalacrocorax carbo) - Eyebrook Reservoir
A Mute Swan made a lot of noise and disturbance in its attempt to take flight.

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) - Eyebrook Reservoir
Several ducks were observed at a distance. A drake Teal always looks splendidly handsome.

Teal (Anas crecca) (male) - Eyebrook Reservoir
A pheasant wandered by at close-quarters.

Common Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) (male) - Eyebrook Reservoir
A Greylag Goose was also unfazed by my close presence.

Greylag Goose (Anser anser) - Eyebrook Reservoir
A Red-legged Partridge was being very secretive and was only occasionally seen when it put its head up above the grass.

Red-legged Partidge (Alectoris rufa)) - Eyebrook Reservoir
It occurred to me that, sadly, a third of the species that I photographed (pheasant and partridge) at Eyebrook Reservoir were there because someone had introduced them so that they could be shot. That partridge was probably still alive because it was so good at concealing itself. It did, however, eventually show itself a lot more fully.
 
Red-legged Partidge (Alectoris rufa)) - Eyebrook Reservoir
It was now time to head homeward. As I reached LO Site No.34 once more, the owl was in the nest cavity opening and with more light on it, so I wound down the window and took a shot from the road. Unfortunately, it did not turn to look at me.

Little Owl (Athene noctua) - my Site No.34
Nothing more of interest was seen on my way home. It had been a day of mixed feelings - sheer delight at seeing the owls, but sorrow at seeing the destruction of nest sites. I also found myself reflecting on how many times I had taken this route with John Truman who is, sadly, no longer with us. 

It will probably be about a week before I'm ready with my Isles of Scilly blog post. In the meantime, take good care of yourselves and Nature. Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard
 

22 comments:

  1. Lovely photos Richard. Wishing you both well medically and hope all works out well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc. I think that Lindsay's knee op later this year will be a little disrupting for both of us - might even interfere with my dragon season! - but we're confident that the long-term benefits will greatly outweigh the short-term inconvenience.

      Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. True to your word this time 'this will be a sort post', which is appropriately titled 'Owl Therapy', with one appearing in the opening to a nest cavity whilst munching your butties....Perfect.

    Hope things go in the right direction with yourself and Lindsey.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pete. For me, the sighting of an owl is one of life's greatest pleasures, and tends to be an emotional experience!

      We have every confidence that any problems will be resolved.

      My best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Hi Richard: Now that is a serious bout of medical appointments, but glad to hear that all is well pending the results of the final two visits. As for Lindsay's knee replacement, it will obviously not be something she will be looking forward to, but I know several people who have had knee replacements and without exception they have been delighted with the outcome and their vastly improved mobility. The initial disappointment with the Little Owls turned into good news I am glad to hear. I am taken by the Shelduck in the picture where the swan is taking off, and as you quite rightly point out a male Teal is a spectacular little duck. COVID is becoming rampant again here as a new strain takes over. Will this never end? Miriam and I send our best wishes to you and Lindsay and hope that all goes well. David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, those medical appointments were more of an inconvenience and distraction from getting on with what I really wanted to be doing, David. For Lindsay, however, the problems have been more serious and we are both relieved that something positive will be done about it. We too know of people who have had knee ops, and tomorrow Lindsay is going out for a coffee with one of her friends who had a successful replacement knee last year, and will have a long discussion with her.

      I was quite surprised that the Shelduck did not take evasive action as the swan thundered towards it. It didn't seem to bat an eyelid.

      Covid infections passed their highest ever level in UK about a month ago, and are still soaring. Recently, it was reckoned that approximately one in twelve persons in England currently had Covid! Fortunately, however, it seems that the consequences tend not to be so severe. Fingers remain crossed!

      Best wishes to you and Miriam - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Absolutely awesome bird sightings. Hopefully you're feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne, I'm fine now, and hoping that I stay that way! Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Hello Richard, Hospital visits you had to go to seem to be ok for you until you hear the results of the last two vissits, I do hope these will be ok as well. A new knee for Lindsay in the end will be only a blessing to be more mobile again is just great.
    Glad you found LO's again, to bad that because of harsh weather conditions and a enthousiastic person with a chainsaw reduced the nest locations for the LO's. Hope they will find new housing.
    Take care,
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Roos! Sadly, Little Owls are in serious decline in UK. Sometimes John and I would go out and see ten in a day. Now I think myself lucky if I see just one. The reasons for their loss are several, with the greatest probably being the serious decline in their invertebrate food source. However, the loss of nest sites with old buildings either being torn down or converted to modern dwellings, and trees (particularly Ash trees) also being lost. Climate change, making the ground either too dry and hard, or too wet, for them to find worms has been a problem in recent years. There is also some suspicion that the gene pool is too small - Little Owls in UK were introduced in the late 1800s/early 1900s for pest control, and the current population primarily originated with those few birds.

      My very best wishes- stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hello Richard, :=) So sorry to learn of your many hospital visits, all that waiting is tiresome, which has been my experience in hospitals, although a health necessity, and we must be grateful.I hope you receive good news from the results of your last two exams. Lindsay's future operation will greatly benefit her life in every way, so pleased for you both that the op will be this year.

    I like the title of your post Owl Therapy. It surely is a most beautiful and uplifting sight to see a Little Owl. Lovely captures Richard. It is so sad that due to all the things you mention, they are in decline. It seems everything is against them thriving in the wild.I hope the ones that lost their nesting sites found somewhere suitable to live. The male Teal is a handsome duck, and so is the Pheasant. We used to see partridge on the farm at one time, but I haven't seen them in a while. Lovely photos of all the birds. I enjoyed your post very much.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that Lindsay's op will be a life-changer for her as she has become so very limited in her mobility this year. She has already made it clear to me that she expects to be waited on, hand and foot, when she's convalescing afterwards!

      For me, owls are always an emotional experience, especially when the owl is a Little Owl!

      I used to see Grey Partridge regularly on what I used to refer to as 'my local patch', but the farmer used to let a guy with a gun shoot on his land, and I suspect that he managed to extirpate them.

      Thank you for your visit, and kind words. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photos Richard, especially the little owl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caroline. There's nothing quite like a Little Owl to warm the heart!

      Delete
  8. The Little Owl are excellent Richard, but I am fond of Red-legged Partridge, love them. And also the Teal, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too like Red-legged Partridge, Bob - to look at and photograph, but not to eat! The same goes for Teal.

      Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hello Richard
    Therapy is the right word, who can think of something bad with these little owls... only good thoughts come up... I look into such tree openings on my rounds but unfortunately always without success... here with us it's the bark beetle you see it's so bad that many many trees have fallen over and free up natural nesting holes for owls... that has something good about dying trees... nature is crazy...
    Great pictures for me definitely a therapy ;-))
    Greetings Frank
    All the best for Lindsay's surgery, my wife also got a new knee and that's all I can say. it kept getting better...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you manage to find a Little Owl soon, Frank. Their preferred habitat is pastureland with just a few trees and a nest place that gives them a good all-round view so that they can spot an approaching predator. Their main enemies in UK are Sparrowhawks and Buzzards. They also have problems with Jackdaws and Stock Doves taking over their nests.

      Lindsay has been told that she will probably be waiting three to six months for her surgery. We hope that it will be soon.

      Thank you for your kind words. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. As always an amazing set of photos. Please do not put all the photos from the Isles of Scilly on at once I will never be able to download the post!. 'Our' Little Owls are around daily, but seeing them is quite another thing, thankfully they are quite vocal.

    So sorry to hear about Lindsay. A friend here has just had a knee replacement, the whole recovery has taken much longer than he planned! He spends his life in a hide taking photos and crawling around just was not possible for several months! Fingers crossed that all will go well for Lindsay.

    Very best wishes to you and the family. I hope all your problems are now at an end. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, Diane, but the Isles of Scilly blog posts will be rather heavy on photos. I will, however, spread them over two posts.

      I'm pleased to know that you are still hearing the Little Owls, even if you are not seeing them.

      I'm still waiting to hear what the lump removed from my nose on 31st March was - no, it wasn't my head, although sometimes it feels like it! I guess that if I have not heard by now, it wasn't anything serious.With best wishes to you and Nigel - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. If only we could all experience a bit of "owl therapy" on a regular basis, the planet would be a far more pleasant place!

    Virtual therapy is better than none at all, so thank you for these wonderful images! I know it's upsetting to find former nest sites missing or destroyed, but wild creatures are pretty resilient. Hopefully, new generations of birders will continue to locate the new nesting owls, monitor their progress and attempt to figure out a way to ensure their survival. Your efforts, Richard, play a vital role in motivating future "Owl Therapists"!

    We can relate to increased numbers of medical visits! Gini often says "getting old is not for the faint of heart"! She, too, may need a knee replacement so we empathize with you both and hope all will be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it hard to understand, Wally, how owls have, in the past, been considered as harbingers of doom. They are such wonderful creatures to observe, whether they be stationary or in flight.

      Gini's statement is spot-on! However, I do consider ourselves to be fortunate in having reached a ripe old age without serious detriment to the enjoyment of life.

      I'll keep my fingers crossed for Gini's knee situation.

      Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.