Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Sunday 1 January 2023

Observations from 24th November to 8th December, 2022

Header image - while this post is current - White Wagtail (Motacilla alba)  in our garden on 2nd December, 2022.

I'm going to try and get back into blogging again as things are easing a little at home, with Lindsay making progress, following her knee replacement on 9th December. This blog post will mainly feature observations of wildlife in our garden, but I did have one afternoon out birding during this period.

Thursday, 24th November                  our garden

We had visits from Sparrowhawk and Stock Dove (2) this day, although neither were photographed. Of the other twelve species of bird that visited the garden - a relatively average number for this time of year - I only photographed a Magpie. Although the shot doesn't show the wonderful irridescent colours that appear in a Magpie's plumage, I rather like the setting of the shot.

Magpie (Pica pica) - garden on 24th November, 2022
Friday, 25th November                   Thornton Reservoir

There had been reports of a female Common Scoter at Thornton Reservoir. I'd not been to Thornton Reservoir for probably a couple of years or more, and as it is quite close to home, that is where I set off to in the afternoon. 

As I got out of my car in the car park, which is close to the water's edge, it was obvious that the birds here had been well fed by visitors, as they crowded round me when I went to see what was around. Many of these birds seemed to be ducks and geese of dubious providence.

It was sunny, and the light was strong, but quite low, making photography a little difficult for much of the time. I had decided on a walk round the whole of the perimeter of the reservoir, and gave some thought as to which direction I should take in order to minimise adverse light. I decided on a clockwise direction, but suspect that this might have been the wrong decision.

By the car park, a Black-headed Gull - extremely common on our inland lakes and reservoirs - looked splendid in the sunlight.

Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) - Thornton Reservoir

A little further on, through the trees, I started seeing Little Grebes. The light was a little more difficult here with the dappled shade from the trees.

Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) - Thornton Reservoir
Moorhens presented themselves in somewhat better light.


Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) - Thornton Reservoir

Other birds were seen, but not adquately photographed, and I had got three quarters of the way round the reservoir when I met a gentleman who was also there to photograph the birds. We got into conversation, and he told me of a dark bird he'd seen on the water near the southern end of the dam, shortly after his arrival. It dived before he could raise his camera and he didn't see it surface again. He was also a dragonfly enthusiast.  Time for me to return home was approaching and my new aquaintance asked if he could accompany me back to the southern end of the reservoir - a request that I was delighted to accept. Views to the water were into the sun, but I did manage a few shots.

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) - Thornton Reservoir
Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) - Thornton Reservoir
Having parted company on reaching the dam, I headed north across the dam to my car, checking over the dam wall from time to time, but seeing nothing of interest. I got to my car and noticed Andy Smith ('Mr. Thornton Reservoir') scanning for birds, and went over to say hello and ask after the Common Scoter. Andy kindly pointed out that the scoter was over near the far side of the reservoir, pretty-much where my earlier companion had seen his diving bird. Andy also said that he had been timing its dives and it was usually down for around a minute each time! It seems likely, then, that this had been the bird that my companion had seen earlier and I was pleased to be able to communicate this information to him at a later date. Here's my very heavily cropped record shot of the scoter.

Common Scoter (Melanitta nigra) (female) - Thornton Reservoir
It had been a useful and enjoyable afternoon out, but I was not aware that this would be my last photographic outing for well over a month!

Saturday, 26th November               our garden

The Grey Wagtail that had been giving us so much pleasure was still with us.

Grey Wagtail (Motacilla cinerea) - garden on 26th November, 2022

Sunday, 27th November                   to Rutland Water 

This was not a photographic outing, although I did take my camera, but a meet up with my brother who lives in Cambridge for a chat and exchange of Christmas presents. I did take my usual owling route to get to Rutland Water, but no owls were seen.

At Rutland Water, while waiting for my brother to arrive, I was intrigued by a clump of rather large (maybe 15cm across) fungi at the edge of the car park. I'm unable to come up with a specific identity for these but believe them to be an Agaricus species.


fungi (Agaricus sp.?) - Rutland Egleton car park
On the way back I took my owling route once more for the first part of my journey. Again, no owls were seen, but a Great Spotted Woopecker was in the tree at my Little Owl Site No.34.

Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major) (male) - my Little Owl Site No.34
Monday, 28 November                    our garden

I'd recently rebuilt, and slightly repositioned, one of our bird feeding stations as the previous incarnation was not getting as much use as I would have liked. This seems to have worked as it is now being used quite regularly and is only about 4 metres from my study window. It has not yet attracted any rarities, but has given me a few shots of common birds.

Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs) (female) - garden on 28th November, 2022

Great Tit (Parus major) - garden on 28th November, 2022

Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis) - garden on 28th November, 2022
We don't often see Wren in the garden these days, so it was good to get a record shot of a visit this day.

Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes) - garden on 28th November, 2022

Thursday, 1st December                    garden

My redesigned feeder station has proven to be attractive to squirrels too.

Grey Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) - garden on 1st December, 2022
Friday, 2nd December                    garden

I have, in previous posts, stated that the more common Pied Wagtail is rarely seen in our garden and we have had more sightings of Grey Wagtail than Pied. For the first time ever, on this day we had a visit by what I believe is a White Wagtail, although it does look a little dark in this light - my header image, while this post is current, shows the same bird on the same day. These are winter visitors from the continent. This bird has now been a regular visitor over the Christmas period.

White Wagtail (Motacilla alba) - garden on 2nd December, 2022
Wednesday, 7th December          garden

Every winter, I keep my eyes open for the arrival of winter thrushes to the garden. If we are lucky, we get an occasional visit from Redwing, Fieldfare and Mistle Thrush and, if we are very lucky, we might have a Song Thrush visit us too. On this day, we had our first visit of the winter by Redwing.

Redwing (Turdus iliacus) - garden on 7th December, 2022
Thursday, 6th December                    garden

Frustratingly, we had an unusually high tally of birds visiting the garden this day as cold weather set in. The frustration was because I was going to be away from home for a day or two as Lindsay had to check in at the hospital the next day at 07.00 and, as it was some distance from home, with a dire weather forecast, we felt the need to stay overnight closer to the hospital.

In spite of  making preparations for the above event, I managed to record 20 species of bird setting foot in our garden, and was also able to photograph a few of them.

Robin (Erithacus rubecula) - garden on 8th December, 2022
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii) - garden on 8th December, 2022
Grey Wagtail (Motacilla cinerea) - garden on 8th December, 2022
Stock Dove (Columba oenas) - garden on 8th December, 2022

Redwing (Turdus iliacus) - garden on 8th December, 2022
Carrion Crow (Corvus corone) - garden on 8th December, 2022
Blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla) (male) - garden on 8th December, 2022
Sparrowhawk (Accipiter nisus) (female) - garden on 8th December, 2022

After our evening meal we set off in the car for a night in Rhodesia - no, not THAT Rhodesia, but a place in the north of Nottinghamshire, just west of Worksop. The brand-new Premier Inn there had only opened three weeks previously and was more 'hi-tech' than any hotel I've been in before. This was to be my base for the next 48 hours as I awaited a call to collect Lindsay from the hospital after her operation.

This brings me to the end of this account. My time is still rather limited at present and it will be some time before Lindsay is not dependent on my services, so please excuse late visits and responses. However, things are progressing nicely now, and the future looks bright.

I suspect that it will be a week or two before my next blog post, but there's already a stack of material from my garden observations awaiting sorting. 

In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature. Thank you for dropping by.

 and

I WISH YOU A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR

  Richard

P.S.   - Blogger now seems to be playing silly devils with photo captions. For most of the later captions in this blog post it would only give me much small or larger fonts than my usual font size.

25 comments:

  1. Hi Richard! Wonderful nature observations. It's great that your wife is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If your experience is typical, Richard, Sparrowhawk visits backyards far more frequently that the similar Cooper's Hawk does here. I have not seen one at all (here) so far this winter. From time to time all the birds scatter and I check carefully for a Cooper's Hawk or a Merlin, but no luck to date. I find the shot of the Carrion Crow exceptionally pleasing. Getting that sort of detail on the plumage of an all black bird is very difficult it seems to me. I am glad to hear that you are taking good care of Lindsay. You will be able to add domestic servant to your resumé! A friend of ours who had a knee replacement about six years ago walks daily and her standard route is 5 km. Tell Lindsay that's the kind of mobility she can look forward to! Happy New Year! David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We often go for many months without seeing a Sparrowhawk, David,and then it seems that one finds us and makes relatively frequent visits until the other birds get wise and depart, causing it to seek new hunting grounds, and then the other birds return.

      I prefer to think of myself as the wise butler, and chef, rather than domestic servant, and I'm pleased to say that Lindsay is most appreciative. I did tell her of your friend and her 5 km route and Lindsay's response was something along the lines of "that'll be a first".

      Happy New Year to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. You certainly offered up a terrific buffet to begin our New Year's birding feast!

    The smaller birds are not easy to photograph well but you demonstrate that it CAN be done. What a nice collection of Wagtails! I'm quite jealous of the detail you obtained with the Sparrowhawk.

    We continue to hope life begins a return to normalcy for both you and Lindsay. No doubt it won't be long before she'll be trying to persuade you to join her in some sort of marathon!

    All is well here. First day of the new year began with a thick blanket of fog. I was out at sunrise but couldn't find the sun anywhere. Made attempts at "mood" shots in the pea soup.

    Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remarkably, Wally, we had those three species of Wagtail all here in the garden by 09.00 this morning - only the second time that we've had all three in one day. Sadly, no photos taken.

      For some reason, I hadn't appreciated that you might get foggy days. It's something that I associate with cold winter days here. We've got bright sunshine at the moment.

      A Very Happy New Year to you and Gini - - - Richardf

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year .2023 Richard and Lesley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob, and a Happy New Year to you and the family too. Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Another interesting variety of birds to peruse Richard. The Great Spotted Woodpecker image is the best I've seen in ages, showing the bird in its natural environment on a huge and beautiful tree, and not a studio-like full frame portrait. Good to hear Lindsey is making progress.

    HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU BOTH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fully aware of, and empathise with, your liking for photos that show birds in their natural environment, Pete. However there are several factors that result in me majoring on full-frame portrait shots. One is that I get great pleasure from being able to see things in detail that I would not be able to with the naked eye. Another major factor is one of background. I see little merit in showing a bird as a small entity in a large patch of featureless water or sky - unless it's a record shot of a rare bird. More often than not, however, its a question of having to pick the bird out from an intrusive or confusing background, or out of focus items in the foreground. As virtually all my photography is opportunist, rather than staged, this last factor is probably the biggest one.

      A Happy New Year to you and KT too - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. Richard....It is important that I respond to your comments about my 'full frame portraits'.

      Quite ironic that I hadn't realised the rest of your post contained a plethora of such images before making my views known. To put the record straight for the benefit of not only yourself, but to all your many viewers, my comments were in no way a criticism of your approach to wildlife photography which I admire and respect, but merely a personnel preference.

      My apologies for any misunderstanding caused by all this Richard....Pete.

      Delete
    3. Hi Pete. I assure you that I was in no way upset by, or took offence at, what you wrote. My response was intended to convey my understanding of your preference which was not as far from my own preference than you might think, but I did take the opportunity to explain why my output is what it is. I am sorry that my response to your original comment caused you discomfort. Such are the dangers of this form of communication ! You are, and will remain, one of my most valued online friends. Please feel free to speak your mind - I would prefer it that way! With much appreciation - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hi you two, so glad to hear that you Lindsay are at last on the mend. Hopefully you will very soon be out and about.
    A wonderful set of photos and that last one of the Sparrowhawk is amazing. We had a sparrowhawk here yesterday, but we only realised it was about when in its chase it hit our window despite it have stick-ons all over it. We both rushed outside, but apart from a few feathers on the ground it seemed to have survived. I hope what ever it was chasing did so as well!
    A very Happy New Year to you both. May 2023 it be a healthy and happy year. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Sparrowhawk hitting the window could do some damage, Diane, and not just to the Sparrowhawk! It's always a thrill to see such skilled predators, but one always worries that they might take the star bird that's visiting at that time.

      My very best wishes to you and Nigel for 2023. May it be a happy and healthy one for you both - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Hello Richard
    Unfortunately your translated tool doesn't work so I couldn't translate and understand the whole text.
    I wish you and Lindsay a happy and above all healthy new year 2023..
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank. I have tried the translation tool several time, and it works for German every time! The one at the top of the page seems to have changed, however. You have to select the language and then press the 'translate' button beside it. There is also a 'translate' button at the right of the page near the top, and this also works for me.

      Thank you for your kind wishes - I hope that 2023 is an excellent year for you in health and happiness - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. Hallo Frank. Ich habe das Ãœbersetzungstool mehrmals ausprobiert und es funktioniert jedes Mal für Deutsch! Der oben auf der Seite scheint sich jedoch geändert zu haben. Sie müssen die Sprache auswählen und dann auf die Schaltfläche „Ãœbersetzen“ daneben klicken. Es gibt auch einen „Ãœbersetzen“-Button rechts auf der Seite oben, und das funktioniert auch für mich.

      Vielen Dank für Ihre freundlichen Wünsche – ich hoffe, dass 2023 ein ausgezeichnetes Jahr für Sie in Gesundheit und Glück wird – – – Richard

      Delete
  8. better watch out for those imported grey squirrels they are a nemesis to our(US) smaller owls, and seem to be quite bold with larger owls too (even if they are prey at times), seems at least one can evict a tawny owl. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMMD10EJ-s8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scott. Grey Squirrels can be a bit of a problem for owls, but for our Little Owls the main problem is other birds evicting them from their nests.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hello Richard, I am so glad to read that Lindsay is doing much much better and you there for gould get out spotting birds. The amount of birds you saw in your garden and out are wonderful. I like the Redwing verry much and the Sparrowhawk are wonderful and the Greay Wagtail. I wish you all the best for the New Year but most health and than ofcourse great observations and photos of birds and mamals. Take care.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply (again!), Roos, and thank you for your kind words. The last few days have been a bit crazy as Lindsay had a set-back with an infection getting worse in spite of three courses of antibiotic. She is now on intrevenous antibiotic and we hope things will get better again.

      It was a real privilege having these birds visit during the cold spell we had. However, the berries have gone from the trees, the weather is not as cold, and the winter visitors have mostly departed again.

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Hi Richard, I forget, the Sparrowhawk is fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Richard!!! Lovely serie of pictures...the Sparrowhawk portrait is wonderful!!... The landscape picture is in Castilla Spain...The Pedrosa beech forest... Happy 2023

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased to know you enjoyed them, Ana - thank you. Thank you also for telling me the location of that wonderful landscape on your blog - I wish that I could be there!

      My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.