Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Wednesday 28 June 2023

Anglian Adventures, Day 1 - 14th June, 2023

I had last visited Norfolk in July, 2019. Although I felt a little strange in the chest on the way there on that occasion, little did I know that I was experiencing the start of what was going to end up as pneumonia and pleurisy, and land me in hospital for two weeks soon after I returned home. 

Note from me:

Oh Dear! It seems that some people missunderstood my opening statement - I was ill in 2019, not this year. Sorry if I caused anyone any consternation!

I was eager to return to  Norfolk at a similar time of year, but Covid restrictions put paid to any such visits in 2020 and 2021, and a dire weather forecast for a booked visit in 2022 resulted in me cancelling my accommodation at short notice.

At the beginning of this year, determined to return,  I booked myself three nights accommodation at the Travelodge, Acle, and eagerly awaited the approaching dates, wondering if the weather would play ball on this occasion, and whether Lindsay would be in a condition with her mobility that she could be confidently left at home on her own.

By now, you will have realised that all worked in my favour!

I guess I ought to mention my reasons for wanting to make this visit. My main objectives were to find and photograph the Norfolk Hawker dragonfly, Variable Damselfly, and the Swallowtail butterfly, with secondary objectives being Scarce Chaser dragonfly, White Admiral butterfly, and Barn Owl. 

Wednesday, 14th June                    Home to Strumpshaw Fen

I set off from home at about 10.45 for the long drive to Norfolk. As the journey would get me there before check-in availability at the Travelodge, I headed straight to Strumpshaw Fen, arriving there at 14.15. I had a quick picnic lunch in the car park before heading to nearby Tinker's Lane, as this is somewhere where I have found Norfolk Hawker and Swallowtail before.

Before I got to the lane, I found a rather tatty Brimstone butterfly beside the road. I can't make my mind up as to whether this one is ovipositing.

Brimstone (Gonepteryx rhamni) (female) - Strumpshaw Fen
Having started down Tinker's Lane, although I  could see a few people obviously looking at something further down the lane, I popped into an area of rough grassland that had been productive on my previous visit. Here there were at least two Norfolk Hawkers, but they were low in the very tall grass, flying up when I  approached, and then settling back down low in the grass some distance away. I played cat and mouse with them for about ten minutes with absolutely no results before giving up and going to see what the attraction was further on.

The persons I had seen were watching a Swallowtail on the branches of a dead shrub about 20 metres away. This flew away while they were pointing it out to me. However, it was quickly found again in the garden of the nearby 'Doctor's House' - sadly the doctor, who was a great champion of the Swallowtails, passed away a few years ago, but the garden still attracts these fabulous butterflies. I did manage a few extremely distant record shots here.

Swallowtail (Papilio machaon) - from Tinker's Lane, Strumpshaw Fen

I then continued a short way down the lane to where it does a sharp left turn and arrives at a level crossing over the railway. Having crossed the line, I was now on the Strumpshaw Fen nature reserve. 

I'd only gone a few metres into the reserve when I was startled by a sudden sound behind me. I turned round to find a female Mallard had flown in and landed about three metres away.

Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) (female) - Strumpshaw Fen
I was now approaching the area where, on my previous visit, I had found Variable Damselfly, so found myself scanning all the blue damselflies I spotted. This Azure Damselfly has probably the worst case of Water Mite infestation that I have seen on a damselfly.

Azure Damselfly (Coenagrion puella) (male) - Strumpshaw Fen

Further on, I  was once again alerted to the presence of a Swallowtail high up in a tree. Until then, I was unaware of the Swallowtail's penchant for roosting high up in trees. This individual was far more photographable than the previous one.

Swallowtail (Papilio machaon) - Strumpshaw Fen
There is a straight section of path, known as the Lackford Run, which runs along the north-western edge of the reserve. This had been quite productive on previous visits, but was almost completely bereft of wildlife on this occasion. Things started changing for the better, however, when I reached the River Yare (which is tidal at this point) and headed south-west.

It seemed that, at nearly every step, my progress was closely monitored by a species of large hoverfly which took up position about a metre in front of my face. Eventually, I persuaded one to settle and got some photos. This was Volucella pellucens - an extremely common, but impressive, hoverfly, and one that I don't think that I've photographed before.

Hoverfly (Volucella pellucens) (male) - Strumpshaw Fen

On the landward side of the path, I found another of my target species - Variable Damselfly. The male of the species is very similar to that of the Azure Damselfly. The main distiguishing features are a 'broken' antihumeral stripe and a pale blue bar between the two blue eye-spots on the Variable.

Variable Damselfly (Coenagrion pulchellum) (male) - Strumpshaw Fen
Beside the river, I found one (or rather two) of my 'secondary targets' - Scarce Chaser. This was a pair 'in cop'. They were a bit out of reach for a good shot. The female of the species is recognisable by the smokey dark marks on the wing-tips. In the male, these marks are much paler or absent - as in this male. It can't be seen here, but the female has an abdomen which is, basically, bright orange on top.

Scarce Chaser (Libellula fulva) (male+female in cop) - Strumpshaw Fen
Further on, there was a lone male.

Scarce Chaser (Libellula fulva) (male) - Strumpshaw Fen
A female Banded Demoiselle played hard-to-get, and this is the best that I could manage.

Banded Demoiselle (Calopteryx splendens) (female) - Strumpshaw Fen
I then arrived at the Tower Hide and it was time to sit down and take a rest. The first impression was that the area in front of the hide was overrun by Mallards. However, a few other species were present. The order of the day seemed to be adults with young.

The single chick following this Great Crested Grebe, seemed to be having buoyancy issues!

Great Crest Grebe (Podiceps cristatus) (adult + chick) - Strumpshaw Fen
This female Mallard had all seven of her chicks neatly lined-up for an inspection.

Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) (female + chicks) - Strumpshaw Fen
And this pair of Mute Swans were being closely followed by their brood.
 
Mute Swan (cygnus olor) (male+ female + cygnets) - Strumpshaw Fen


I stayed in the hide for about fifteen minutes, before deciding to leave. It seems that the sitting had not done me any good as my back gave me shooting pains as I descended the steps from the hide.

Shortly after leaving the hide, I was pleased to find a female Variable Damselfly. The main distinguishing feature is, again, that pale thin band between the eye-spots. The female comes in two colour forms - 'dark' and 'blue'. This one was of the blue form.

Variable Damselfly (Coenagrion pulchellum) (female) - Strumpshaw Fen
The most numerous butterfly species was Red Admiral.

Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta) - Strumpshaw Fen
I also found a male Scarce Chaser which exhibited the pale marks at the wing-tips, as mentioned above.

Scarce Chaser (Libellula fulva) (male) - Strumpshaw Fen
I'd been seeing a few small day-flying moths, but not managing to get any shots of them. Eventually I got one.  
 
Small China-mark (Cataclysta lemnata) (male) - Strumpshaw Fen
I was still not having much luck with Norfolk Hawkers, although I had  enjoyed a few brief distant views.  I then arrived at a point where two were interacting with each other and seemed to be staying in one locality.I must have stood there for about a quarter of an hour, trying to get flight shots, and failing. A gentleman came along and we chatted a while, both wanting to photograph these beautiful dragonflies. After maybe ten minutes, he left and I concentrated on the mission for a while. Eventually, one shot into a nearby tree, and I was able to pinpoint where it had gone in. You can probably imagine my surprise when I found four Norfolk Hawkers together! As far as I can make out, all four were females.

Norfolk Hawker (Aeshna isoceles) (4 x females?) - Strumpshaw Fen
I stayed there a while longer and a male arrived and settled in a different part of the same tree.



Norfolk Hawker (Aeshna isoceles) (male) - Strumpshaw Fen

I went back to look at the four, and found that they were now three.

Norfolk Hawker (Aeshna isoceles) (3 x females?) - Strumpshaw Fen
My attention was diverted by the arrival of a Banded Demoiselle, this time a male.

Banded Demoiselle (Calopteryx splendens) (male) - Strumpshaw Fen
When I turned back to the Norfolk Hawkers, I was just in time to see a fourth join them.

Norfolk Hawker (Aeshna isoceles) (4 x females?) - Strumpshaw Fen


I was now feeling quite weary, and it was time to start back towards the car park and find myself some sustenance for the evening. I'd not gon far before I came across an obliging male Black-tailed Skimmer. The male of this species is superficially similar to that of the Scarce Chaser, but it has green eyes (rather than blue-grey) and a greater expanse of black on the rear of the abdomen.

Black-tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) (male) - Strumpshaw Fen
I'd planned to have a snack at the Scottish restaurant on my way to the Travelodge, but my satnav decided that it would take me on a different route back than on previous occasions, so I missed it. Having checked in at the Travelodge, I ended up crossing the car park to the 24 hour M&S Food Store and buying myself a 'meal deal' of a sandwich, side, and drink, which I consumed in my room.

That night, I turned in early, setting my alarm for 05.00 so that I could return to Strumpshaw Fen for a pre- breakfast visit in the hope of photographing a Barn Owl. At least, that's what I thought I'd done - all will be revealed in my next blog post if things go to plan.

I will try to prepare my report of Day 2 for publication in about a week's time, but it's beginning to look a bit dubious. It will probably be shorter on words, and longer on photos. In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature.

Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard


29 comments:

  1. Me ha encantado el reportaje, las fotografías te quedaron preciosas. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias por su visita y amables palabras, Teresa.

      Mis mejores deseos - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. First and foremost - we trust you have nearly recovered! My goodness that could have been very serious while traveling.

    Congratulations on finding some outstanding subjects! Spotting four Norfolk Hawkers in one view must have made your heart beat a bit faster! Then the obliging male showed up for his portrait, too!

    The Swallowtail is certainly a beauty! Then you added damsels, more dragons, waterfowl and chicks. I'm tired just thinking about it all.

    As much as Gini and I are anticipating the next segment, we are very concerned that you were ill during the whole trip. Take extra care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you later discovered, Wally, the illness was in 2019. However, I am still not fully recovered from that session. I had what is referred to as complex pleural effusions. They were not able to drain the pleural cavity so I still have the pussy residue there, although no longer infected. I am on permanent pain-killers and anti-inflamatories to keep it relatively dormant, but it still gives me daily discomfort.

      Thank you for your concern!

      My very best wishes to you and Gini - - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Hello Richard
    Hearing about the pneumonia is not good news, but the good thing is your pictures, four beautiful specimens in one picture.. Only professionals can get such a picture. It was a pleasure to read your post again
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very lucky to get those four dragonflies in one frame, Frank, and it was one of the highlights of the four days that I was away.

      Thank you for your kind words - best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Some wonderful insect shots Richard. Been a few years since I've seen the British race of Swallowtail, though see the continental form on the continent most years. Fortunately we now have Norfolk Hawkers in London & even Scarce Chasers are beginning to appear in the periphery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, once again, for your kind and encouraging words.

      I used to enjoy seeing Swallowtail and Scarce Swallowtail on my frequent (10 to 15 times a year) continental visits before I retired, but it must be getting on for 15 years now since I last left UK.

      I was aware that Norfolk Hawkers were in Kent, but not that they were now being seen in London.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Hi Richard! Great observations and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful set of photos and I love the Hawker, something I have yet to see! So glad that you managed to return, pneumonia is no fun I have had it 3 times. The Common Swallowtail is beautiful, I have just been chasing a Scarce Swallowtail around the garden, not that it really is scarce here!
    I hope all is well. Take care and very best wishes to you, Lindsay and the family, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pneumonia three times sounds like a nighmare, Diane. I hope you don't meet it again.

      Whenever I have seen a Scarce Swallowtail when in Europe, I have got very excited. Yes, some of these 'common names' need updating. Scarce Swallowtails and Scarce Chasers (saw more of those than any other dragonfly species in Norfolk) that aren't scarce, and Common Gulls that aren't common and I've only ever seen in Scotland.

      All is good here, thank you, and I hope that the same can be said of you and Nigel. Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. It seems that others have misread your post and think you have pneumonia now, Richard. Thank goodness that is not the case. I remember well the suffering you went through with it at the time. Glad that this sojourn in Norfolk was productive; the four Northern Hawkers together must have been a highlight amongst highlights I would think. Our outdoor activity has been curtailed a little of late as we have been blanketed by smoke from the forest fires raging in the north. I actually cancelled an outing this morning due to poor air quality. I can't wait for summer to be over and cool temperatures to return. So much of the boreal forest has been destroyed I can barely imagine the impact on migrants returning to breed next spring. The Apocalypse is beginning it seems. All good wishes to you and Lindsay - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those four Norfolk Hawkers vied with two other sightings for top place during my stay in Norfolk, David, but you'll have to wait until my next post to learn what the other two were!

      I've now added a note after my opening paragraph, clarifying the date situation. Thank you for the prompt.

      I had been wondering if the polution from the forest fires was reaching you, and am deeply saddened to hear that it now has. As you have stated, the implications for wildlife, both short-term and long-term, are extremely worrying. I can't help but reflect that this planet would be a better place without humans.

      My very best wishes to you and Miriam from us both - - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. David is correct. I missed the very fist sentence of your post where you clearly state you were ill in 2019. And I do remember that bout you had. Hopefully, that will never be repeated!
    Thanks to David for reminding me to actually read "all" of the words! In my defense, I was excited about getting to the pictures.

    Gini and I still hope you and Lindsay are both healthy and preparing to enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that you were not the only person to misunderstand the situation, Wally, and I've taken steps to clarify the situation.

      We're doing just fine here, thank you, and now recovering from a busy day yesterday with family, celebrating our son's birthday for which I produced the evening meal.

      Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hello Richard, glad you spoke of your illness from 2019 glad you wrote it in red so no mistake there. Now your photos of this trip. Stunning and what great encounters. But the most impressing are the Norfolk Hawkers together on the branches. Never saw that!!!!
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Norfolk Hawkers are a beautiful dragonfly, and have a reputation for tirelessly patrolling water channels without resting, Roos, so I was extremely luck to find four together. Thank you for your visit and kind words.

      My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. I'm glad you got over your illness well four years ago. As I was reading I thought oh no, I hope he's well, and then I read the sentenced in red.
    Your excursion seems really interesting. I really like the Norfolk Hawkers, I don't think I've ever seen one of those. We get a lot of black-tailed skimmers at the botanic garden where I work. If you're interested, I wrote about the dragonflies and damselflies here on the Yorkshire Dragonfly Group bulletin two years ago: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/357826458_Dragonflies_of_the_botanic_garden_of_Castilla-La_Mancha_Spain_in_2020_Skimmer_-_Bulletin_of_the_Yorkshire_Dragonfly_Group_2021

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Guillermo. The Norfolk Hawker, sometimes known as the Green-eyed Hawker, is present in a few areas on the western side of Spain. It is, however, more common in areas to the eastern side of Europe.

      I have downloaded that article, and shall read it with interest when I have time to give it the attention that it deserves.

      Thank you, and best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. I have now read that very interesting piece that you wrote for the Yorkshire Dragonfly Group. Your Botanic Garden seems like a fabulous place to visit, Guillermo, and a wonderful place to work too!

      Delete
  11. Super set of shots Richard. That Swallowtail against the blue sky is beautiful. A cracking set of Norfolk shots too. Lovely detail. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really delighted to get the Swallowtail against the blue sky, Marc, and happy that the camera coped with it well at the distance it was at. This day was a really good start to my four-day break.

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - - Richard

      Delete
  12. Fabulous Richard, the Swallowtail are my favourite, love it. Has you new used a lens?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. A few months ago I switched from Nikon to Canon. I now have a Canon R7 mirrorless camera body and an RF100-400 lens. I am pleased with the results, but wondering how the lens, with a maximum aperture of F8, will perform in winter's lower light levels.

      Best wishes to you and the family - - - Richard

      Delete
  13. Hi Richard!!! Excellent and varied captures..Happy week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana - I hope that you have a splendid week too!

      Delete
  14. Hi Richard, beautiful photos of Norfolk. I hope you feel better now. Have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caroline. It was my previous visit - four years ago! - that I was ill. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.