Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Thursday 6 July 2023

Anglian Adventures, Day 2 - 15th June, 2023

My previous blog post, (which you can find here: - https://peglerbirding.blogspot.com/2023/06/anglian-adventures-day-1-14th-june-2023.html) stated that the previous evening I had set my alarm for 05.00 so that I could return to Strumpshaw Fen for a pre-breakfast visit in the hope of photographing a Barn Owl. I now find, looking at my notes, that this was not that day! All will be revealed at a later date.

Thursday, 15th June                    Hickling Broad ; Trimingham ; Wheatfen ; Strumpshaw Fen

Having had a relatively long day the previous day, I had set the alarm for 06.45. A quick trip to the M&S Foodstore to get some cold milk to have with the cereal and dried fruit that I'd brought with me for breakfast, and some items for a picnic lunch set me up for the day.

I had been told that Norfolk Wildlife Trust's Hickling Broad was a great place for Swallowtail butterfly and, as I'd never been there before, that is where I went, arriving at about 08.15. The Visitor Centre was not open, but some of the staff (volunteers?) were on site, and gave me some pointers as to where I might go to find things. I was also told that the Swallowtails were late this year and a bit thin on the ground.

I set off down the track that I was told led to the Raptor Roost. To check the settings of my camera, I took quick shot of a Goldfinch.

Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis) - Hickling Broad
I was soon passing by some promising-looking wetland habitat on my right.

Wetland - NWT Hickling Broad
I was on one of the viewing platforms and starting to spot a few interesting birds. There were two  Great White Egret in the distance, one of which was a male in breeding condition with a dark bill.

Great White Egret (Ardea alba) - Hickling Broad

I'd just photographed the egrets when a couple came from the opposite direction and asked if I'd spotted the Black-winged Stilts that were in the distance. I hadn't and, as I have only ever once seen this species, and that was in Morrocco, I was somewhat excited! I did manage some distant record shots.


Black-winged Stilt (Himantopus himantopus) - Hickling Broad
The viewing platform had a notice which stated that only two people should be on it at any one time and, as this couple had so kindly shown me the stilts and they were both eager to get more views, I vacated the platform and headed further down the trail, taking a few photos as I went.

Reed Warbler (Acrocephalus scirpaceus) - Hickling Broad
Red-eyed Damselfly (Erythromma najas) (female) - Hickling Broad

I thought that I reached the end of the trail, with no Raptor Viewpoint having been seen, so turned back. I subsequently found that I should have turned left at the end and continued a while.

More birds were spotted on the way back to my starting point, although the stilts were no longer there.

Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) - Hickling Broad
Whitethroat (Sylvia communis) - Hickling Broad

The Visitor Centre was still not open by the time I returned, so I headed into a different area of the reserve without the benefit of a site-map in my hand. I took the trail that passes Cadbury Hide, finding the occasional dragonfly along the way.

Four-spotted Chaser (Libellula quadrimaculata) (female) - Hickling Broad
Black-tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) (male) - Hickling Broad

Black-tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) (female) - Hickling Broad
As I approached the junction where the short trail to Secker's Hide departs to the left, I spotted a dragonfly whose behaviour led me to believe that it was looking for somewhere to settle. It must have been ten or fifteen minutes before it did so, but the wait was worthwhile. It was an immature male Hairy Dragonfly.

Hairy Dragonfly (Brachytron pratense) (immature Male) - Hickling Broad
I then went along into Secker's Hide, where I found a few people watching a Swallowtail on Thistles. Before I could train my camera on it, it flew to a rather more distant thistle. I attempted a few shots here which really came to nothing, but also took some video, which is a little better.

In spite of being told that it would soon be back in front of the hide, it had still not returned after about half an hour. However, the people that had alerted me to the stilts earlier were in Secker's Hide, and informed me that they'd seen Bee-eaters at Trimingham, and I made my mind up to see if I could find them.

Having left the hide, I found a few more dragonflies, including my first Ruddy Darter of the year, and a Black-tailed Skimmer against a dark background, before I took a long circuitous walk along the woodland trail, which is described informal seasonal path, back to the Visitor Centre.

Ruddy Darter (Sympetrum sanguineum) (female) - Hickiling Broad
Black-tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) (female) - Hickling Broad
Back at the Visitor Centre, I paid my dues, returned to my car, and set off for Trimingham, arriving at about noon. In need of some refreshment, I had a quick picnic lunch before heading over to the designated viewpoint. 

I had only seen Bee-eaters in UK six years ago, when there were several of them at a site quite close to my home, so this was a really exciting opportunity for me. This Trimingham site was first seen to be used by Bee-eaters last year, and two chicks were raised. This year, was the first ever time this species has been recorded returning a site in UK. On arrival, I saw two of the birds up on wires at quite a distance. They didn't come any closer, so I only got record shots.



Bee-eater (Merops apiaster) - Trimingham

The nest site, which was in an old quarry, was visible from a position only a few metres from where I'd been viewing the birds on the wires. This location was, however, even further away. This is what the site looked like in a photo with my lens at its full 400mm stretch - there is a bird in the centre of the frame!

Trimingham Quarry
So here's the bird via a very heavy crop of the image.

Bee-eater (Merops apiaster) - Trimingham
Sadly, I have recently learned that the nest has failed, with Stoats being seen nearby and suspected of having predated the nestlings. However, that report also stated that the birds were being seen performing courtship behaviour again and it was hoped that they'd try for a second brood.

On my previous visit to Norfolk I'd been told of a highly recommended nature reserve - Wheatfen, managed by the Ted Ellis Trust. Wheatfen is literally directly over the River Yare from Strumpshaw Fen, so 70 metres as the crow flies, but 13 miles (21 km) by road! I set off for there, arriving at around 13.40.

Having parked my car and had a quick chat with the person manning the information centre there, I headed into the reserve. I soon found a bunch of flowers that had been put there, presumably to attract Swallowtail butterflies, but a Brimstone was making use of them.

Brimstone (Gonepteryx rhamni) (male) - Wheatfen
A bit further on, a heron was in a field beside the reserve.

Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea) - Wheatfen
A bright blue-green, but quite small, beetle caught my eye. I hope that I've got the ID correct!

beetle (Phyllobius pomaceus) - Wheatfen
I was on site for all but an hour before I saw my first dragonfly! But, as I got nearer to the River Yare, things took a major turn for the better. It seems that Wheatfen is a real hot-spot for Scarce Chaser.

The first image, below, shows a reasonably fresh male on which you can just detect the faint smokey patches on the wing-tips as exhibited by some males. The second image shows a mature male with the wear on the middle abdomen segments bearing witness to a good number of mating encounters.


Scarce Chaser (Libellula fulva) (male) - Wheatfen
A distant Red-eyed Damselfly was on a lily-pad.
 
Red-eyed Damselfly (Erythromma najas) (male) - Wheatfen

I'd passed alongside the river and was now heading inward again and shortly reached a point where a track went off to the right to link up with the path that I'd originally come down. I turned onto this track, spotting a couple of people standing on the track further down. I stopped long before I got to them as I'd seen a patrolling Norfolk Hawker, and spent some time trying to get flight photos. I nearly managed one, as you can see in this next shot!
 
Norfolk Hawker (Aeshna isoceles) (male) - Wheatfen

By now, my arms were aching and so I continued to where those two people were. They kindly informed me that, when I first hove into view, they'd been watching a Swallowtail on the bunch of flowers attached to a post just a few metres from them. It had now gone.
 
Norfolk Hawkers were interacting with Scarce Chasers along this stretch, and both were settling from time to time, so I was kept entertained for a while. There  were a couple of Banded Demoiselle too. The first of the Norfolk hawkers, below, seems to have a long string of poo dangling from its rear!



Norfolk Hawker (Aeshna isoceles) (male) - Wheatfen
Banded Demoiselle (Calopteryx splendens) (male) - Wheatfen

Banded Demoiselle (Calopteryx splendens) (female) - Wheatfen


Scarce Chaser (Libellula fulva) (male) - Wheatfen

I had not, before, noted how black was the frons of a male Scarce Chaser. I found myself quite surprised by this.

It was now time to be heading back to the car as I needed to think about something to eat that evening. On the way back, at one point, I was loudly warned-off by a pair of Mute Swans who had young cygnets.

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) (cygnets) - Wheatfen

A little further on, I found a pair of Scarce Chaser, busy working on the next generation.

Scarce Chaser (Libellula fulva) (male+female in cop) - Wheatfen

I got back to my car and, while I was setting up the satnav to take me to 'the Scottish restaurant', I noticed a female Scarce Chaser, just in front of the car. She seemed to be in pristine condition and nicely placed - quite unusual for a female of this species!


Scarce Chaser (Libellula fulva) (female) - Wheatfen

You can clearly see the strong smokey marks on the wing-tips. Nearby was an equally obliging male of the species, without any discernable such marks.


Scarce Chaser (Libellula fulva) (male) - Wheatfen
After a quick light meal at 'the Scottish restaurant', as I was now only three miles from Strumpshaw Fen, I made an evening visit there. My main objective was to see if the Norfolk Hawkers were using the same place to roost that I'd observed the previous day.
 
As I left the car park to go into the reserve, I spotted a large beetle on the road. 
 
Lesser Stag Beetle (Dorcus parallelipipedus) - by Strumpshaw Fen

There was no sign of Norfolk Hawkers around the area where I'd seen them roosting the previous day, but I did get some shots of a handsome Banded Demoiselle.
 
Banded Demoiselle (Calopteryx splendens) (male) -Strumpshaw Fen
I started back to my car, wanting a relatively early night as I'd had a rather tiring day. My gizmo tells me that I walked over 9 miles (14km) that day - much more than I'm used to!
 
As I headed back along the trail, a deer jumped out of the vegetation beside me and headed off through the reeds. I was quite startled, and only managed shots of a disappearing backside. However, when I got to the junction where a trail went off to access the Meadow Trail, the deer was coming out of the reeds onto the path. My original thought that it was a Muntjac - in fact I thought that Muntjac and Chinese Water Deer were one and the same thing, but I now know that this is not the case and this was a Chinese Water Deer - just look at those tusks!
 
Chinese Water Deer (Hydropotes inermis) - Strumpshaw Fen

Although, obviously, not native, it seems that they are considered to be beneficial to the environment on the reserve.
 
I then headed back to the Travelodge, and setting my alarm for 05.00 - or so I thought! - turned in early for a much-needed shut-eye session. Thus ended an absolutely fascinating day.


This has been a rather long post, so thank you for getting this far! My next post, featuring Day 3, should be a little shorter and, hopefully, available in about a week's time.

In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature.

With my best wishes - - - Richard


20 comments:

  1. I don’t know where to start here, Richard. What a fabulous day from so many perspectives and your pictures are stunning. It is ironic that only a couple of days ago a friend sent me a link to a UK report of bee-eaters nesting in Britain. It was part of a greater story of global warming and its various manifestations, but it caught my attention, as you might imagine. I had no idea until I read your account here that they had appeared close to home. Bee-eaters in general are about as attractive a family as one might imagine, and to have them breeding in the UK seems quite magical. Damn those stoats! I hope the next attempt is successful. Norfolk seems to be a very special place for wildlife in general. Glad that Lindsay was self-sufficient and that enabled you to get away for a few days. All the best - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is just a very small positive side to global warming in my opinion, David, and that is that it is bringing new species to our shores. However, we are losing existing species far quicker than we are gaining new species and I fear that soon there will be nothing left - anywhere! It seems that too few people are prepared to accept that we need to moderate our lifestyles, and accept that it might involve a reduction in our perceived standard of living. They then moan when systems start collapsing round them. Sadly, we live in a 'because I'm worth it' age.

      Having said my piece, yes, Norfolk is an amazing place for wildlife, but I can't lose sight of the fact that it has the worst wildlife crime record of any county in England.

      Lindsay is now making great progress with her recovery, and her spirits are improving daily.
      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Now it's MY turn to say "WOW" and go lay down for awhile!

    What incredible diversity in birds and odonata! Spectacular photographs, Richard. I am always fascinated that we enjoy similar species but how different they appear on our respective sides of the planet.

    A nine mile day! No wonder you were relieved to get back to that Travelodge. I suspect we will soon hear about setting alarm clocks. (Been there - done that!)

    I was really taken with the Norfolk Hawker and Scarce Chaser since I have not seen images of them before now.

    Looking forward to the next installment of your adventure!

    Gini and I are enjoying the heat and humidity of our sub-tropical paradise but are still very thankful for the invention of air-conditioning. We hope the new weekend brings good things to both you and Lindsay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really refreshing to visit an area with such a variety of subjects to point the camera at, Wally. I always take note when you, or David Gascoigne, publish images of species of the same genera as those found in UK and I make comparison of their similarities. However, somehow, yours and David's tend to look more exotic!

      Day 3 of the adventure, although spent at just one location, resulted in a walking distance that fell not far short of the nine miles - just under eight and a half miles!

      I don't envy your hot and humid conditions, but we also have cause to be thankful for air-conditioning on some of our hotter nights - one of our better investments in recent years. We use air-source heat pumps for heating and cooling.

      We're looking forward to the weekend as we will have our daughter and granddaughter with us. My best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Hello Richard,
    if you, like you, spend so much of the day out in nature and take a close look around you can discover many things that you would normally walk past, the dragonflies are of course my top photos again, very nice details, including the water deer, never seen before, wanted definitely with you in this post ;-)) Thanks for showing
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I see a deer, of any species, Frank, I always think of you and your blog with your wonderful observations of deer.

      I am pleased to know that you like the dragonflies as there are many more to come in future blog posts!

      My best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. What a lovely post, Richard! I really like the dragonflies but the first goldfinch captivated me.
    Bee eaters are so common in my province, but it also surprises me that they breed in southern England :O
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although it was exciting for me to see the Bee-eaters, and to know that they are breeding, Guillermo, it is surely a consequence of global warming, and very worrying.

      Thank you for your visit. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Wow, now that's a blog entry. I feel like I have just been around Norfolk for a few days. what a super selection of photos. Those dragonfly shots are excellent, as are all of them really. I applaud you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind comments, Marc. They mean a lot to me as your dragonfly photography sets the standards that I aspire to.

      My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Black-winged Stilt is my favourite Richard, and the Bee-eaters are wonderful, I would love to see one, magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really special for me to see those two species, Bob. It would have been nice if they had been a bit closer, but at least I managed some record shots. My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Chinese Water Deer, wow never even heard of them before and I have never seen a deer with tusks like that! The bee-eaters are beautiful, interesting seeing how small it is next to a magpie.
    Sadly I never seem to go anywhere much near water and it is rare for me to see dragonflies or damsels so it is a pleasure to see your fabulous photos.
    I hope Lindsay is doing well. Very best wishes to you both and the family. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Chinese Water Deer does look rather strange with those tusks, doesn't it, Diane.

      I guess that I'm rather lucky, having several places close to home with water - canal, brook, reservoir, lake, etc. , but I still feel the need to travel to find the most interesting things to photograph.

      Lindsay is doing really well now, thank you, and it seems like every day sees an element of improvement.

      I hope that all is well with you both.

      Best wishes - - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Hi Richard... Great macro and beautiful pictures... I love Reed Warbler and Whitethroat... Best wishes from Madrid... VERY HOT!!!...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana. I hope that you are able to find somewhere where you can keep cool. We do not have that problem here at the moment as it is quite windy with daily showers of rain.

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hello Richard, what a great post with great variation of birds, insects and other animals. So the Bee eaters are also breeding in GB. It is a nice bird but rings the bell of climate change. It is happening right in front of our eyes.
    Take care,
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just been to your own fabulous blog post on Bee-eaters, Roos. Yes, it is very worrying that the fact of them going further north to breed than they have in the past is a strong indicator of the threat posed by climate change. It is time that we had some sensible response from all the governments on this planet.

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Hi Richard, great series of bird and insects photos. The bee eater is especially beautiful which we don't have here in Sweden. But I have noticed that many goes to Hungary to photograph these birds but you have it on "homeland" too that's great !
    Greetings Lasse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit and kind words, Lasse. Although they are a wonderful bird to see, it is worrying that they now feel the need to travel further north to find the right breeding conditions.

      My best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.