Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Friday 8 December 2023

The Second Half of November, 2023 - Pt.1

I had, originally, intended to make this blog post cover the whole of the second half of November, but have come to the conclusion that it would be far too long for the comfort of my readers! This post, therefore, features my observations from 16th to 24th November inclusive.

Thursday, 16th November          Garden  :  Sence Valley Forest Park

In the morning we had the pleasure of visits from Goldcrest (UK's smallest, and least dangerous, garden bird), and the male Sparrowhawk (the most dangerous!).

I am still struggling to get a good shot of the Goldcrest. This, at that time, was the best of a bad bunch.

Goldcrest (Regulus regulus) - our garden
This day, the Sparrowhawk took one of our visiting Goldfinch. This may sound heartless, but I'd sooner the Sparrowhawk took a Goldfinch than any other species, as Goldfinch is by far the most numerous of our garden visitors. I am now doubting my original assessment of the sex of this Sparrowhawk. I thought it was an immature male, due to the rufous marking on the throat and white patches at the nape. However, the brown underside striping is showing no signs of turning rufous, and the bird seems rather large, and even attempted to take a Collared Dove, so I think that it's possibly a female.


Sparrowhawk (Accipiter nisus) - our garden
Lindsay wanted to try out her new three-wheeled walking assistance on sloping terrain and asked if I would like to accompany her - which, of course, I was delighted to do. We decided on a visit to Sence Valley Forest Park as it is well-supplied with benches for her to rest on. I took my camera with me 'just in case', but only found Black-headed Gull to photograph, which was a little unusual for this location. Two other birders on site also commented on this aspect.

Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) - Sence Valley FP
In the afternoon we had our next-door neighbour arrive at our front door, carrying a trug with a hedgehog in it. He'd found it wandering around the garden in daylight, and being worried by their dog. It was a small hog, and looked very much like the hog that I'd been keeping my eye on in our garden. I placed it in the hedgehog house that I was confident was not occupied - we have two in our garden, one of which was definitely being used - but it did not stay in there for long. It came out, and wandered across the back of our garden, disappearing into a corner where it had access into the garden of one of the properties at the rear.

That evening, I stepped into the gap when the speaker (Alan Cann) booked to talk to the Blackfordby Wildlife Group was unable to attend, due to catching Covid for the second time in three months! I was given enough time to revise my talk 'Speyside - a Place for All Seasons'. I'm pleased to report that it was well-received.

Friday, 17th November          Donisthorpe Woodland  :  Garden

My first-thing-in-the-morning trip into the garden to top up the bird and hedgehog feeders revealed a Hedgehog sleeping in one of the feeding stations, on top of the tray of Black Soldier-fly larvae. This is something that has never happened before. I had to assume that this was the hog that our neighbour had brought round the previous day. The garden cameras had revealed it feeding well in the other feeding station that night and moving around, seemingly OK, but maybe a little slower than usual. As it was a sunny day, I decided to leave it there as the feeding station is made from a large clear plastic storage box which would warm up a bit like a greenhouse would.

Lindsay is making good efforts to try and rehabilitate herself and, in the morning, I was pleased to accompany her to an area that she was not familiar with, and that was Donisthorpe Woodland. Little was seen, except by the isolated section of the old Ashby Canal.

Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) -Ashby Canal, Donisthorpe Woodland
Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) -Ashby Canal, Donisthorpe Woodland

That afternoon, I kept a relatively close watch on the garden in case the Hedgehog appeared, and even took a few shots while I did so.


Grey Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) - our garden

Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis) - our garden
Towards dusk, the Hedgehog emerged from the feeding station and, with an exceedingly unsteady gait, made its way to the hedghog house that it had so industriously built a nest in over the past few weeks. I could see no damage to the Hedgehog, but I was extremely worried, and made up my mind the I would seek help and advice the next day. Here is the hog at the entrance to its nest, just before it turned in.
 
Hedgehog (Erinaceus europaeus) - our garden

Saturday, 18th November          Garden
 
The garden cameras revealed that the worrying Hedgehog had not left its nest in the night. A call to The British Hedgehog Preservation Society, who were wonderfully helpful, had me removing the Hedgehog from its nest, and weighing it. I cannot remember what the weight was but it confirmed my suspicions that its weight was less than that required for it to safely survive hibernation. I was advised to take it to my nearest Hedgehog Rescue Centre for which contact details were given and, fortunately, was only 20 minutes away. It was received there by Shannen who kindly reassured me that it would be taken care of and I would be updated with its progress.

That afternoon I photographed some of the avian visitors to our garden, still, frustratingly, not managing to get a good shot of Goldcrest. One day, one will visit when it's not dull weather. I do love the glum appearance of a Goldcrest head-on.


Goldcrest (Regulus regulus) - our garden
Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus) - our garden

Coal Tit (Periparus ater) - our garden
Early the following day, I had a message from Shannon to say "Sadly the hedgehog didn't make it over night, I was very shocked this morning". She had fully expected it to be OK.

Monday, 20th November          Donisthorpe Woodland

I returned to Donisthorpe Woodland, accompanying Lindsay on another of her short walks. At one point, I found myself needing to sneak off into the trees to answer the call of nature. This resulted in me finding two Treecreepers. Some of my best finds, including a Long-eared Owl, have been due to me having to disappear off the beaten track to answer the call - age does have some benefits!
 
Treecreeper (Certhia familiaris) - Donisthorpe Woodland

Thursday, 23rd November          Hicks Lodge
 
Prompted by reports of Mealy Redpoll, amongst larger numbers of Lesser Redpoll, I set off for Hicks Lodge, which is only about 2 miles (3 km) from our home. I parked at Oakthorpe Colliery and walked in from the south of the site. 

I didn't find any redpolls, but there were other birds to be seen, although nothing of great note.

From the trail in, there were Canada Geese in their usual foraging/roosting field to the west of the trail. 

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) - Hicks Lodge

As I reached the lake, a group of Canada Geese headed towards the lake from their foraging/roosting field.

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) - Hicks Lodge
The birds on the lake were mainly quite distant, and the weather was dull, so photography was a challenge. This is the best I could manage of a drake Pochard.

Pochard (Aythya ferina) (male) - Hicks Lodge
There were a few Great Crested Grebe around, but they stayed very distant.

Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus) - Hicks Lodge

A group of four Little Grebe were somewhat closer, staying close to the near side of the northern island.

Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) - Hicks Lodge
I thought that I could see something on the near bank of the island, and wondered if it was a lurking Snipe as they have favoured this location in the past. However, I could not make it out properly with my binoculars, so took some shots with the camera that I could zoom in on. I soon saw that it was just a bit of pale shrub. I don't know what made me scan along these photos, rather than discard them, when I got home but I did, and found a Snipe!

The photo, below, is an uncropped in width (but resampled to fit on the blog page) image with the lens at 400 mm, so you can see that it was a distance away. Can you see the Snipe?
 
Here's a cropped image, so you can probably find it now.
 
Snipe (Gallinago gallinago) - Hicks Lodge
As I started back towards my car, I took some shots of a Mute Swan.

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) - Hicks Lodge

I was a little disappointed by the lack of Redpoll sightings and the dull weather, but I'd still had an enjoyable time.

Friday, 24th November          Garden

In the morning, I had another attempt to photograph Goldcrest in the garden. Although it turned out to be a sunny day, the sun had not yet got round to being on the bushes favoured the Goldcrest. Nevertheless, I did manage some slightly better images than those that had resulted from my previous recent efforts.


Goldcrest (Regulus regulus) - our garden

That afternoon, I made a visit to Rutland Water - an event which was covered by my previous blog post.
 

If all goes according to plan, my next post will feature garden observations from the last few days of November.

In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature. Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard


28 comments:

  1. Ah! This Great Crested Kinglet (Regulus regulus) seems to be giving you a lot of trouble! But I admire the dexterity with which you capture the movements of this bird.
    Sorry for the hedgehog, unfortunately, we see a lot of them crushed on the roads, people are not aware of their stupid actions. In my garden, some time ago, we were surprised to discover 4 babies who quickly scattered into the wild, I don't know if we should keep them in a crate for a bit and feed them but I don't think so . Thank you for the photos ! Never seen a Treecreeper (Certhia familiaris) Kind regards, Philfff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say it was hard work trying to photograph the Goldcrest/Kinglet, Philfff but, in reality, all those shots were taken when I was comfortably sitting in a chair in our conservatory!

      Sometimes it can be very difficult to know what to do when you find a hedgehog in an unusual situation. As a general rule, if they are out during the daytime, it usually means that they have a problem. We are lucky that we have people who can easily be contacted for advice, and a relatively local hedgehog rescue centre where they can care for hogs that need special attention.

      Treecreeper is a quite common bird in this region, but I do not see them very often. They are delightful to watch.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Hello Richard :=)

    What a treasure chest of delightful gems. The Goldcrest, Treecreeper, Goldfinch, Grey Squirrel, Long-tailed tits, and the beautiful Mute Swan captures to name a few of the gems, are all wonderful images, and all the drama of the Sparrow Hawk in action are fabulous captures! It was sad news about the Hedgehog, they don't have an easy life.

    At least I can make you envious about my Firecrests :=) but the Goldcrest is equally as lovely.
    Enjoy your weekend Richard
    All the best
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your visit and your very kind words are much-appreciated, Sonjia.

      Sadly, the Hedgehog population in UK is declining rapidly, and causing great concern to those, like me, who treasure them. There are initiatives to try and improve their situation but too few people are aware of them or even care enough to do anything about it. Yet another instance of man trashing the planet without a thought for its future.

      My very best wishes - take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Lots of interest here, Richard. Sonjia can make us envious with her Firecrest, but a Goldcrest in the garden is not too shabby either! Miriam is, of course, entranced with the hedgehogs (as am I for that matter), but I have to say that for me the drama of the Sparrowhawk with prey tops everything else. Your picture really captures the drama of it all, the endless saga of predator and prey, and sad though we may feel for the goldfinch, it is a rivetting image that is seminal in every way. Glad to hear that Lindsay is making progress. May it continue thus. Best wishes to you both - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In UK, as you are probably aware, David, Goldcrest is not a rare bird, whereas a sighting of Firecrest is rare enough that it will attract birders from the surrounding area. On my few encounters with Firecrest, I have found them slightly easier to photograph than Goldcrest as they seem to be less nervous birds.

      The Sparrowhawk is still visiting but hasn't graced me with any more action shot appearances.

      I'm off out for a trundle with Lindsay in a few minutes - back to Donisthorpe Woodland - so I'll close now and get ready.

      Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. That dramatic Sparrowhawk photo is fantastic. I feel sorry for the Goldfinch but this is how life on our planet is, predator eats prey and life goes on, and we admire them both.
    Do you get many Hedgehogs in your area? I'm thinking about building a small hedhehog house in my future garden, as I know they can sometimes come round and visit. Did you build it yourself?
    Best wishes!
    Guillermo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Guillermo. Yes we do get a few Hedgehogs in the garden. Sometimes I see as many as three different ones on the garden trail cams in one night. I have two Hedgehog feeding stations which I made myself and two Hedgehog houses for them to sleep/hibernate in which I bought from the local Hedgehog Rescue Centre. The Hedgehog houses are similar in design to the ones shown on this leaflet:- https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/hedgehog-homes/. My houses are not covered with soil but placed under bushes. The feeding stations are to the same basic shape but with the main box made from a clear plastic storage box with a 13cm x 13cm hole cut in the end at the bottom of one long side (lid uppermost). I then make an entrance tunnel with two house bricks as sides and a roofing tile on top. This arrangement stops cats getting at the food which I put in mesh trays at the far end of the box. I feed Black Soldier-fly larvae, but chicken-based cat biscuits can be used also. Having the lid on top makes it easy to fill up the food without dismantling the whole thing. It is important to have clean water available for the hogs, and I put a dish (I use a plastic dish designed to put a plant pot in) of water just outside the station. I hope that this information is useful to you.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much for all the invaluable information! I'll take it all into account when I make my new garden (I hope it doesn't take too long). I also collaborate with a nature charity which focuses on the reforestation of our local ecosystems and we have a small ground where we cultivate the plants that we end up reintroducing in nature and where there is also a small educational garden and I will try to convince my mates to build one of those hedgehog houses. I think they mainly hide in rabbit burrows but it might be interesting to see if they occupy it in the area. Last year a friend piled up some pallets and we saw a young ladder snake inside, but it was mainly geckos that turned it their home. If we end up making one hedhehog house I'll tell you about it!

      Delete
    3. I wish you all the best with your new garden and any efforts you make to improve the wellbeing of Hedgehogs, Guillermo. Please let me know how the project progresses.

      Delete
  5. Your detailed observations from the second half of November offer a glimpse into the natural world, from the delicate Goldcrest to the majestic but elusive Sparrowhawk. The struggle to capture the perfect shot of the Goldcrest adds an element of challenge and excitement to your birdwatching endeavors. I'm curious to hear more about your experiences and sightings during this period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit and your kind words, Melody. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. You had a busy November!

    As with the rest of your fans, I think the series of the Goldcrest is terrific! Love that head-on shot. The images of the Sparrowhawk are really special. A magnificent raptor at work.

    You had me straining my eyes to locate the Snipe. But any time I can spot a Snipe it's worth a bit of strain.

    A Treecreeper! Now, that would have my day. And an owl thrown in for good measure. Nice.

    Gini and I are thrilled that Lindsay appears to making good progress. We hope you both continue to adjust, as we all do, to what life throws our way.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to know you found the Snipe, Wally, but I'm struggling to find the owl! Now I'm wondering if I missed something in one of my images, or if you're teasing me? Plese let me know!

      My very best wishes to you and Gini - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Absolutely stunning Richard, the Treecreeper, Goldcrest, and Snipe, brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. It's always a pleasure to hear from you. Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. I think I have to visit, you have birds that I would just love to see here. The Goldcrest is adorable. I have seen one Tree Creeper here at a distance in the 18 years we have lived here. I have never seen a Coal Tit and the only Long-tailed Tit I have ever seen was for South of our house. We do see the odd Sparrowhawk here but it generally takes a dove if anything. We have far too many of them anyway!!
    My very best wishes to you both, take care. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane. Even if you visited for a month, you would be extremely lucky to see Tree-creeper and Goldcrest. There's a small chance that you might see Long-tailed Tit, however, and the odds on Coal Tit would probably be better than evens. We do get a good range of birds visiting our garden. I'm currently recording between 15 and 18 species putting a foot down in our garden (I don't record fly-overs) most days that I'm not out and about.

      I hope Nigel is more comfortable now, and all is good there. My best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. Over the 18 years since we bought the house here I have recorded 46 different species in the garden. Some were just a one off visit never to be seen again, or not by me anyway. N is struggling! Cheers Diane

      Delete
    3. That's an impressive tally of bird species, Diane. I am not sure what our stands at - perhaps I should take a look!

      So sorry to hear that Nigel's having a tough time of it. I hope that things get better soon.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
    4. Just done a quick check and, to my surprise, we've had 49 species land in our garden.

      Delete
  9. Hello Richard,
    I'm very pleased that Lindsay is making good progress, that's very good news, it's a shame that the hedgehog didn't survive the whole thing, that's sad news again... and the sparrowhawk with its prey, the highlight, as cruel as it looks, it looks so fascinating is the sight, photographed first-class.
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not sure about including that image of the Sparrowhawk with its wings blurred, Frank, but I am glad I did as it seems to get people's approval - I guess the blur conveys the sense of action.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. LOD with my response to your post again Richard, with another of your variable collections and illustrations. A pity about the Hedgehog, although you had hopes it would be OK, the early signs didn't look good.

    I initially thought how you would know about Speyside - A Place For All Seasons, to do a talk on the subject, then I remembered you was a tour guide. Well done Richard.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until we discovered the Outer Hebrides, Pete, Lindsay and I visited Speyside once or twice a year for a number of years and got to know the wildlife round there quite well. That Speyside talk was the second in my short portfolio of talks, the first of which was 'The Little Owls of Leicestershire - and some that aren't so little'.

      My 13 years of having my own tour company (for which I personally guided most of the tours) was purely for railway enthusiasts, and nothing to do with wildlife, although it was seeing the wildlife on these tours that re-kindled a latent interest in wildlife.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. Como te digo siempre, un placer pasear contigo para ver esas bellezas. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tu compañía es siempre un placer, Teresa, gracias por venir. Con mis mejores deseos - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.