Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Sunday 31 December 2023

December, Pt.1 - 1st to 14th December, 2023

I hope you had a great Christmas, and take this opportunity to wish you a Happy and Healthy New Year.

I'm ending the year with an account of my wildlife sightings and photography in the first part of December. This almost exclusively consists of sightings of birds in our garden! I hope that you don't find the lack of variety too boring!

Friday, 1st December          Garden

This was a frosty day starting at -3°C and only rising to 0°C, but sunny for most of the day.

During most winters, we get a little fed up with the Starlings that tend to arrive in great numbers, consume all the bird food,  and noisily frighten away the smaller birds. It is a relief when, eventually, they depart to somewhere else. However, this year we are seeing very few and are now getting excited when they do appear.

Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) - our garden

We were still getting regular visits from Pied Wagtail.

Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii) (male) - our garden
The above photos might make it look as if the weather was pleasantly warm and sunny but, where the sun wasn't shining, it looked a little different. Below, in photos taken in the afternoon, you can see the depth of the frost.

Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii) (male) - our garden
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii) (female) - our garden


Saturday, 2nd December          Garden

It was frosty again, with -3°C rising to 0°C, but freezing fog and mist for much of day. We were out visiting our son for much of the afternoon. I did manage to get some shots through my study window of a male Pied Wagtail on a frost-free perch only about 7 metres from my seat.

Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii) (male) - our garden

Sunday, 3rd December          Garden

We awoke to a light covering of snow. The birds were impatient for me to go out and feed them. It warmed a little during the rather dull day, through which it drizzled with rain for most of the time, although some of the snow remained until the end.

Goldcrest (Regulus regulus) - our garden
Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus) - our garden

Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula) (male) - our garden


Wednesday, 6th December

There was a very heavy frost in the morning, but the day was sunny, which raised temperature from -5°C to 1°C.

We had two Stock Doves visit on this day. Here is one of them.

Stock Dove (Columba oenas) - our garden
A male Bullfinch was still a regular visitor.

Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula) (male) - our garden
That night, the temperature was forecast to rise to 5°C during the night

Saturday, 9th December

After two very wet days, the day again started wet, but a few degrees warmer than it had been, rising to 8°C by mid day, when we had some sun. I photographed the Sparrowhawk that alighted briefly in our Rowan.

Sparrowhawk (Accipiter nisus) (male) - our garden
However it soon turned windy, with wind speeds up to 45 mph (72 kph).

Sunday, 10th December

The day started quite bright.  In the late afternoon I went to the location of my most recently found Little Owl site, which I had not visited since the spring, and was disappointed to see that the nest tree, and all the other trees on that particular edge of the field, had been completely removed. I had hoped to see some winter thrushes here too, but I only saw about half a dozen Fieldfare as they noisily flew across the road in the far distance.

The only thing I photographed was a heron that had been behind a fence on the far side of a horse paddock, but took flight.

Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea) - near Normanton le Heath
Tuesday, 12th December          Garden

A very dull damp day, but having three male Bullfinches visit was exciting. We've had five Bullfinches before (male, female, and three juveniles), but three adult males together was a first. I managed just one record shot with all three in it!


Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula) (male) - our garden


Wednesday, 13th December          Garden

A dull, but mild day. The Sparrowhawk was back.

Sparrowhawk (Accipiter nisus) (male) - our garden
We get visits from Greenfinch most days at the moment - usually just one or two, but we have had up to four. This is a species that seems to be recovering. having been devastated by a virus a few decades ago.

Greenfinch (Chloris chloris) (female) - our garden
Just the one Bullfinch was spotted this day, but it did pose for a photo. It is a long while since we last saw a female Bullfinch in the garden, but fingers are crossed.

Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula) (male) - our garden
Thursday, 14th December          Garden

Dull and wet weather removed any incentive to go out, and I was glad that I stayed at home as we had four wagtails visit that day. The first item that I photographed, however, was a heron on the back neighbours' roof, while we were having breakfast.

Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea) -from our house
Later in the morning, a Bullfinch visited. Without a shadow of doubt, Bullfinch is the most messy eater of all the garden birds!

Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula) (male) - our garden
A few minutes later, the Bullfinch was still here when what I originally thought was a White Wagtail arrived, but my local birding expert, Rhys Dandy reckons it was a female Pied Wagtail. Assuming this is the case, it would appear to be a 1st winter bird. White Wagtail is the nominate bird of this species, with Pied Wagtail being a race of the species, largely common to the UK.

Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii) (female) - our garden
Almost immediately, it was joined by a Grey Wagtail, and this time I got a few more shots than I managed on its previous visit. This one seemed to have a much darker breast than I'm used to seeing. I think that it is a 1st winter bird.

Grey Wagtail (Motacilla cinerea) (1st winter) - our garden
Later in the day, a pair of Pied Wagtail arrived, with the female being a different bird to the earlier bird as it had a black (rather than pale grey) crown. However, I only got shots of the male on this occasion.

Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii) (male) - our garden
We also had a Stock Dove pay us a visit.

Stock Dove (Columba oenas) - our garden

This brings me to the end of what (for us) was a rather special special day, even if the weather was lousy.

It also brings me to the end of this blog post, which I hope has not bored you with too many images of Wagtails and Bullfinch (both of which are rather special for us) and it just remains for me to wish you all the very best in health and happiness for 2024. Please take good care of yourselves and Nature - - - Richard


16 comments:

  1. Three male Bullfinches together is very special, Richard, and I am glad that your camera was cocked to record all three in one shot. It is a spectacular bird by any measure. Your garden really is a bit of a mini oasis and ensures that you are never a day without nature. I have been having Raccoon woes recently. If I forget to bring in my feeders at night they are invariably dashed to the ground, dented and dinged a little more, with all the seed consumed, of course. I can’t wait for it to get really cold when the Raccoons will hole up and cease their nightly wanderings. Winter is but a memory here. Best wishes to you, Lindsay and your entire family for 2024. May the Bullfinches keep you company all year long. David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that maybe Bullfinch males have a tendency to form groups, David. Although I have not seen this locally, I do remember seeing a group of maybe twenty males in January in Scotland several years ago.

      Thankfully, we do not have a Raccoon problem here, although Grey Squirrel can, occasionally, be destructive to plastic feeders in order to access food.

      I'm confident that this will be recorded as one of the warmest wettest winters ever in UK - and still those that govern us are dragging their heels over climate change.

      My very best wishes to you and Miriam for a year filled with wildlife and happiness - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Hello Richard,
    wish you a happy new year too...
    to the pictures; The sparrowhawk now knows where to get good food, the bullfinches with their great colors look great, great weather, we have constant rain with extreme flooding... not a good time to take pictures..
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frank. So far, this year is not looking too good, with us too having constant rain. The Bullfinches are not impressed!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Your garden is obviously a prime location for some 'local' bird watching Richard, in particularly during the wet and windy weather we are experiencing over the latter part of 2023. The Bullfinches and Goldfinches make a pretty and colourful foursome on the feeders.

    Sincere Best Wishes for 2024....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply, Pete - the world has been a bit crazy the past few days.

      We too have had some extremely wet weather and virtually all the major local nature reserves have shut down because of flooding, with a lot of the minor nature reserves also virtually impassable. Having the birds in the garden has been a blessing, but I've not been able to give them much attention in the past few days.

      With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Stunning set of photos, I would love to see wagtails in our garden, I think I have spotted a couple once, many years back now! I do love the sparrowhawk, but I am happy to say over the years I have only seen one here twice. I have yet to see a Bullfinch, day be one day.

    Take care and thinking of you tomorrow. May 2024 be a healthy year and a good one for you both. Very best wishes Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane. The wagtails seem to have gone again although we did have a very brief visit by a female Pied Wagtail on Monday, but she didn't come down to feed. We are still getting a male Bullfinch, but not every day.

      I had the scan yesterday, and the doctor wants to talk to me tomorrow morning - I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The good news is that I ordered a stair lift yesterday so that Lindsay can get upstairs - and it is being fitted tomorrow! If only the NHS could do things as quickly.

      Sorry that I am so late in replying. You can probably gather, from the above, that I have been a bit busy lately while trying to keep on top of all the domestic duties.

      My very best wishes to you and Nigel - have a wonderful 2024 - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year 2024! Your garden is truly a marvel! At home, we also have all these birds but we don't have the opportunity to see them up close. We call Motacilla cinerea, the wagtail of streams (magnificent yellow) and Motacilla alba, the gray wagtail. Good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Philfff. A Happy New Year to you too. I have noticed before that the common names of the various species of wagtail can cause some confusion. I was watching Motacilla cinerea by a river in Scotland when a Dutch couple with binoculars arrived. I pointed out to them that there was a Grey Wagtail in a bush beside the the river, and the lady looked at me as if I was an idiot and said " No - it is a Yellow Vogtail". On the rare occasions that my wife and I see a Grey Wagtail, we refer to it as 'the Voggster'.

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Amigo Richard, nunca me canso de ver tus reportajes, me encantan todas las aves, tus fotografías están preciosas. Espero verte muchos años más por tu blog. Abrazos fuertes y feliz 2024.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Querida Teresa. Siempre es un placer saber de ti e intentaré no decepcionarte en 2024. Espero visitar tu blog durante todo el año. Con mis mejores deseos - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. This is almost a Bullfinch/Wagtail overload event. That is NOT a complaint.
    Even with the weather not cooperating most of the time, your very special garden space attracted a great selection of bird life for your (and our) holiday viewing pleasure.

    Gini and I have enjoyed family over the holidays and are eager to get back on track and see our favorite doctors. (Cue laugh track.)

    We truly hope you and Lindsay are beginning the New Year in good spirits and we look forward to more garden delights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for excusing me for presenting a plethora of Bullfinch/Wagtail images, Wally. I try to keep things varied, but when I can't get out, the options are limited.

      I think that, over the holiday period, our medical visits have been way above our average frequency, and it doesn't look like there will be respite anytime soon. We're still managing to keep our heads above water, however. It would help if we could have a few more dry weather days - floods are all around us at the moment.

      My very best wishes to you and Gini - I hope that 2024 is a splendid one for you both - take good care - - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Hello Richard:=)
    "Where there's a Will there's a Wey" ha ha, a priceless comment Richard.Thank you for the chuckles.

    How could anyone be bored with the sight of Bullfinches and Wagtails. They are both beautiful birds, and the Grey Wagtail made an appearance without being chased away this time, and you took lovely photos of them and all the birds of course. I smiled to see a Heron on your neighbours roof,.an unusual occurrence for sure, and the stunning Sparrowhawk knows where he is most likely to get a meal, the pigeons had better be vigilant! I see up to ten Greenfinch every day, but there is always a bully who chases away the others and wants the feeder all to himself, when at least four could easily perch around it. It's also a messy eater, but we love them just the same.:=)
    I hope it was good news you received from your doctor Richard.
    Wishing you and Lindsay a very Happy New Year

    All the best
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased that I could provide you with some amusement Sonjia.

      Up to ten Greenfinch each day is quite remarkable. The bullies in our garden are the Goldfinches (fiesty little birds) and the Robins.

      The news from the doctor was inconclusive, and I have to go for an MRI scan - I hope I'm not waiting for too long. Thank you for your concern.

      My very best wishes for a wonderful New Year for you - take good care - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.