Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Sunday 11 February 2024

The First Seven Days of February, 2024

This blog post is a relatively short one, covering just one visit out, and some garden observations.

Thursday, 1st February          Bluebell Arboretum, Smisby

The month got off to a bright start when I decided to make a visit to Bluebell Arboretum, Smisby, which is the first village you come to if you head directly north out of our home town of Ashby de la Zouch.

Bluebell Arboretum holds a sentimental attachment for me as it was the last place I visited with my mother before she died in 2004. Shortly after her death, I made a donation to the arboretum in her memory and, in return, I was offered a lifetime permit for Lindsay and I to visit the arboretum.

It had been a few years since I had last visited and, although the trees in the arboretum would be far from at their best, I thought that maybe I would find some interesting birds. I also felt the need for some quiet contemplation and was confident that the arboretum would be relatively devoid of people. This proved to be the case, but it was virtually devoid of birds too!

I resorted to photographing a bunch of Snowdrops.

Snowdrop (Galanthus nivalis) - Bluebell Arboretum
When I had last visited, my passion for dragonflies and damselflies had not yet developed. On this visit, I was pleased to note that there were small ponds which appeared to have very good potential for the Odonata. 

At one point a Robin came to introduce itself.

Robin (Erithacus rubecula) - Bluebell Wood
I did get a brief glimpse of a Moorhen disappearing into the undergrowth behind one of the ponds, but didn't manage any photos.

Having made a circuit of the arboretum, I found myself in need of the ablutions, so headed to the exit. Having done what needed to be done, I remembered that beyond the west end of the car park there was a lake and, in the past, it had been inhabited by a collection of ducks - clearly imported and pinioned. Out of curiosity, I started heading towards this when a voice called out "are you a tree man, or a birder" - it was the proprietor, Robert, and I stopped for a chat. He told me that, since his wife had died, he'd found that keeping the collection 'topped up' with birds had become difficult, and he'd allowed 'natural wastage' to occur. The only pinioned birds remaining were a pair of Pintail and a pair of Teal. 

I went to have a look, and found several ducks in the lake, including what were presumably the pinioned Pintail and Teal, but also included a few Shoveler and a pair of  Mandarin. Photography was difficult as there was a high chain-link fence in front of me, and other fencing intervening too in some areas.

Teal (Anas crecca) (male) - Bluebell Arboretum

Mandarin Duck (Aix galericulata) (male) - Bluebell Arboretum

I know that I have said this before, but I sometimes find myself surprised by how thin the heads of some species of duck are when viewed from the front - or, in this case, from the back!

Mandarin Duck (Aix galericulata) (female + male) - Bluebell Arboretum

Whereas the plumage of the male Mandarin is spectacular, I feel that the female Mandarin has a serene beauty.

To my mind, the drake Shoveler looked somewhat sinister as it swam away.

Shoveler (Spatula clypeata) (male) - Bluebell Arboretum
The drake Pintail is one of the most handsome of ducks.

Pintail (Anas acuta) (male) - Bluebell Arboretum
Pintail (Anas acuta) (female) - Bluebell Arboretum

I stopped to have another chat with Robert on my way back to the car and mentioned the Mandarins. Robert told me that he considered them a nuisance as he sometimes gets up to around fifty of them and they snaffle up any food that's put out before the other ducks can get to it. 

Bluebell Arboretum is now on my list of places to look for Odonata when the season comes around.

Friday, 2nd February          Garden

The visits by the female Blackcap are becoming less frequent, but we see her most days. She has a penchant for the blitzed peanut and lard mix that I make. Here she is, just about to pop into the jar (out of frame) containing that treat.

Blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla) (female) - our garden
We are starting to get a few more sightings of Long-tailed Tits, but they are not easy to photograph as they are never still.

Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus) - our garden

Saturday, 3rd February          Garden

Greenfinches are continuing to pay frequent visits to the garden and, currently, their numbers are second only to that of Goldfinches, with up to six being seen at a time. I think that it was fellow blogger Sonjia (blog 'BREATHTAKING') who commented that the Greenfinches where she is in Portugal can be quite posessive and aggressive at the feeders, and I responded that this was not the case in our garden in my experience. I now find that I am having to reverse that statement as they are now exhibiting that sort of behaviour to their congeners as well as to other species. Here's one  that's on its own.

Greenfinch (Chloris chloris) (male) - our garden

Sunday, 4th February          Garden

We had been seeing a female Siskin on a daily basis for some time, and I had remarked to Lindsay that I wish she'd find a mate. On this day, she brought a male with her. I was unsure at first sighting as the crown was not as dark as males of the species that I'm used to seeing.

Siskin (Spinus spinus) (male) - our garden


Here are the two together on one of our feeders.

Siskin (Spinus spinus) (male + female) - our garden


Tuesday, 6th February          Garden

This was one of our better days for birds visiting the garden with 17 species being observed. However, only the male Siskin was photographed. I'm not too happy about showing photos of birds on feeders, but this is a somewhat clearer shot of the male of the species than others I have managed so far this winter.

Siskin (Spinus spinus) (male) - our garden

Wednesday, 7th February          Garden

I was away for most of the afternoon on a medical visit, but still managed to record 16 bird species putting a foot down in our garden, and took a few photos too.

Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii) (male) - our garden
Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs) (female) - our garden

Siskin (Spinus spinus) (female) - our garden

 

This brings me to the end of this post. Busy times are ahead, so I may be away from Blogger for a while. In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature. Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard

 

20 comments:

  1. Hello Richard
    The short post is also very nice, the male mandarin duck looks really beautiful, and the picture of the back is also something great. Nice area, I hope there will be one or two more posts from you over the course of the year.
    all the best
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that there will be many more than 'one or two post over the course of the year' Frank! I had in mind that it might just be a little less frequent than my approximately weekly output, for a few months, and that my posts might be shorter too as I may not be getting out much - time will tell.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. There is nothing quite so stunning as a bluebell wood in the full flush of spring, so if you can snatch a moment when the Bluebell Arboretum lives up to its name, please go and take pictures for us all to enjoy. As a consequence of our truly bizarre winter we have had Snowdrops in the backyard for over a week now, about a month earlier than they normally appear here. Where they came from initially is a bit of a puzzle since we didn’t plant them, so I assume that squirrel gardeners were at work. They are lovely, however, and I am glad to have them. Mandarin Duck is spectacular. I have a book devoted entirely to Mandarin and Wood Duck with scores of incredible pictures and excellent text. It doesn’t get much better than these two, although the plumage of waterfowl throughout the world is invariably beautiful, even muted species like Gadwall. Hope that life doesn’t get too hectic in the next little while. Hoping for the best for Lindsay - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that there are Bluebells in the Bluebell Arboretum, David, but I'll post a photo if I find some!

      We too have snowdrops out in the garden, but that's not unusual for us at this time of year. Some of ours came from Lindsay's father's garden about forty year ago. However, they are also apppearing in places that I did not plant them. I too suspect an outside agent at work.

      On the subject of garden bulbs - a warning! Never be tempted to plant Grape Hyacinth (Muscari), as I have found to my cost. They are incredibly invasive and I shall again be trying to eradicate them this year.

      I'd never really thought about the beauty of waterfowl in general but, even with my limited experience I have to wholeheartedly agree with you - with a few exceptions - Muscovy Duck comes to mind, and some of the geese too.

      It all kicks off tomorrow, with Lindsay having her knee replacement. Thank you for your kind wishes which I will relay to Lindsay.

      My best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. I cannot help but believe the combination of the serenity of the arboretum and observing beautiful birds will act as a refreshing balm for your inner self. Gini and I continue to hold you and Lindsay in our thoughts.

    Your note to return for odonata sounds as though we are in for future delights.

    After reading through this blog and reviewing the photographs thrice, I can't help but feel that Spring is preparing to show off for us all very soon now. Fingers crossed that it will be sooner rather than later.

    Take good care, Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a quick note to say thank you for your kind words of encouragement, Wally, as I'm about to get ready to take Lindsay for her knee replacement this morning.

      It does look as if spring might show soon, although I think that we are in for a few cold spells before that happens. I'm looking forward to the season when insects are in abundance.

      My very best wishes to you and Gini - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Hi Richard
    Absolutely stunning of the birds, they are all beautiful. Especially the Blackcap, wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. The Blackcap has been a great excitement for me, and she's put in an appearance this morning. Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Hello Richard :=)
    Some of my favourite water birds are on your post today. The Pintail, Wood Duck, Mandarin, and Teal. Their feathers and markings are exquisitely beautiful. I had an outing with Eva today and we passed a picturesque place which I also made a mental note to visit later in the year, as it seems a promising place to look for Odonata near a stream, I'm sorry to read that your Greenfinch are now exhibiting unfriendly behaviour towards other birds as well as their own species. It's quite unpleasant to see. Is sixteen birds a record for how many birds visit your garden in a day?.The Siskin is a pretty little bird and I'm pleased she has found a partner.There is a male Chaffinch singing loudly each day, in my garden, and I am sure he is trying to attract a female. I have enjoyed seeing all your lovely photos Richard and pleased that the Sparrow Hawk seems to have moved on

    My very best wishes to Lindsay for a successful recovery from her resent surgery. and all the best to you Richard..
    Take care
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a quick note, Sonjia as I have to take Lindsay to hospital for her operation in an hour.

      It must have been wonderful for you to get out with Eva again and find a new place to explore. I hope that it gives you some great wildlife experiences.

      Sixteen species of bird in the garden in a day is not a record - I recorded twenty species on Saturday!

      My best wishes - take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Thankyou Richard for reminding me of the birds that I no longer see. I no longer have the legs for walking to these places in fact the bottom of the garden is about my limit.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry that you are not able to get out and about, Mike. Have you considered getting some sort of off-road mobility buggy? Bob Bushell (link to his blog on the right of my blog) does amazingly well with his.

      Best wishes - take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. The Bluebell Arboretum devoid of people for some quiet contemplation, sounds like heaven to me, but virtually devoid of birds, not so. However it was enjoyable enough to look through your variety of images.

    Hope your busy times ahead don't get too busy Richard.

    Kind Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to returning to Bluebell Arboretum, Pete,but probably not until the dragon season starts.

      Got Lindsay out of hospital late yesterday after her knee replacement - busy times are now in full swing!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Hi Richard!!! Lovely set of pictures... Beautiful birds.. Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana - your kind words are much-appreciated.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Me ha encantado como siempre. Gracias y besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Teresa. Por favor tenga mucho cuidado - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. A collection of very nice photographs of all these birds, in this natural and beautiful área.

    ReplyDelete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.