Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Sunday 4 February 2024

The Last Ten Days of January, 2024

Much of my time so far this year, as in the latter part of 2023, has been spent on domestic duties, having to take on much of Lindsay's share, due to her relative incapacity. Towards the end of the month, I started to feel that I needed to get out more, if only for short spells, in order to regain some of my sanity. This resulted in me visting four local locations on three separate days. At no time was I away from home for more than two hours.

The first part of this period resulted in sightings of very common species. However, things warmed up a little in the last few days of January.

Monday, 22nd January          Garden

Although we had the pleasure of Siskin and Blackcap females visiting this day, the only photos I took were of a Blackbird. Although a common species, we have seen a worrying decline over the past couple of years in the numbers of this bird visiting our garden. This female is on the edge of our birdbath, before taking a drink.

Blackbird (Turdus merula) (female) - our garden
Friday, 26th January          Garden  :  Saltersford Valley Country Park  :  Oakthorpe

The Siskin and Blackcap were still with us but, again, no photos. I did, however, manage to grab a few shots of a Wren from my study window. As you can see, it had been a while since I last tidied up the garden!

Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes) - our garden
That afternoon, I took some time out, heading to Saltersford Valley Country Park. On my previous visit, I had found the boardwalk section of the area closed off, due to flooding. I was disappointed to find this area was still closed off - with no reason visible. I did take a walk round the remainder of the area that was open and saw very little of interest, only photographing a confiding Robin, and a distant Coot.

Robin (Erithacus rubecula) - Saltersford Valley CP
Coot (Fulica atra) - Saltersford Valley CP

Being a little dischuffed with my visit to Saltersford Valley, and having only been out for a short while, I set off to visit the nearby location, by Oakthorp, where I'd recently seen the Yellow-browed Warbler and more recently photographed Fieldfare, in the hope of getting better Fieldfare images. I only saw one Fieldfare in the distance, which fled when a couple with a dog passed by it. I did, however, spot a Goldcrest, and spent about half an hour trying to photograph it, but failing miserably. The best that I could do was get a couple of record shots of it in flight.
 
Goldcrest (Regulus regulus) - near Oakthorpe

It was then time to head back to Lindsay, only 10 minutes away.
 
Saturday 27th January          Donisthorpe Woodland

The following day I paid a short visit to Donisthorpe Woodland, just down the road from home. Part of this area is alongside a now isolated section of the old Ashby Canal. I passed alongside the canal for a while, only spotting a Mallard on the far side of the canal and a Great Tit in the edge of the woodland, opposite the canal.

Great Tit (Parus major) - Donisthorpe Woodland

Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) (male)

I then took a circuitous route which took me along the edge of the Moira Furnace site, and then back to my car. I saw disappointingly little during my walk, only stopping to photograph some teazels, a Blackbird, and another Great Tit, which I shan't bother you with here.
 
Teasels are the dead flowerheads of plants of the genus Dipsacus. They are still used by some people for carding wool but, for me, they are an architecturally atractive plant

Teasel (Dipsacus sp.) - Donisthorpe Woodland

Blackbird (Turdus merula) (male) -Donisithorpe Woodland

Sunday, 28th January          Garden  :  Longmoor Lake

This was a good day for visits by birds to our garden, with 18 species setting a foot down. These included 8 Long-tailed Tits - always fun to watch.
 
Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus) - our garden

Most exciting, however, was the appearance of a Reed Bunting. We last saw this species in the garden in February 2023, when a female visited. These shots were taken from my studty window.
 
Reed Bunting (Emberiza schoeniclus) (male) - our garden

That afternoon, I made a quick visit to Longmoor Lake. This lake is situated in the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Wood, which is close to our home. In the early days of this wood, when the trees were mere saplings, the area was good for birds, including Barn Owl and Tawny Owl.  However, the trees have grown rapidly, and are so densely placed that it seems to have made it unattractive to the birds. I saw virtually nothing until I reached the lake, some one and a half kilometres from the car park.

I spent a few minutes in the hide and saw that Canada Geese and Greylag  Geese were there in good numbers, as were Wigeon. I took some photos from the hide but didn't stop long as my time was limited.
 
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) - Longmoor Lake

Greylag Goose (Ansa ansa) - Longmoor Lake
I then walked to the far end of the lake, taking a few more photos as I went.

Wigeon (Anas penelope) (male + female) - Longmoor Lake

I went a little beyond the far end of the lake, before turning back. Immediately I did so, some Long-tailed Tits moved through the hedge beside me. The light was poor, but I did manage a shot that is just about useable. 

Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus) -by Longmoor Lake

On the way back, dusk was beginning to fall. I photographed an immature Mute Swan that looked as if it was hoping that I'd feed it, but it soon gave up.

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) (immature) - Longmoor Lake

It was that time of the afternoon when the geese decide that it is time to return to their night roosts. There is plenty of warning when this is going to happen as their calls build up to a very noisy crescendo before they take off in groups.

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) - Longmoor Lake

I took a shorter route back to my car, arriving home at the expected time.

Tuesday, 30th January          Staunton Harold

It was only two days before I managed another brief trip out, prompted by a report of a Cattle Egret in a pasture with sheep, opposite the hall at Staunton Harold, and less than ten minutes from our home.
 
Having parked my car, I walked up the road past the sheep pasture, and a little further, before turning back without seeing the egret. Arriving at the public footpath that leaves the road and goes uo the hill through the pasture, I decided to give it a try in case the bird was skulking over the brow of the hill - it wasn't.

As I descended on this footpath, I scanned over the nearby lake, looking at the swans and gulls that were on the grass on the far side of the lake - and there, to my surprise, was the egret, at the water's edge, in a position where it would be clearly visible from the road that leads to the hall.

As I crossed the causeway between the two lakes, I took a shot of a Coot.

Coot (Fulica atra) - Staunton Harold
A little further on, the road takes a curve to the right that brings it closer to the lake, and the egret was clearly visible from there. I got in quite a few shots before it decided to return to where it had originally been seen - the sheep pasture. You may be able to detect that this bird is showing a hint of colour on the forehead - the start of breeding plumage.




Cattle Egret (Bubulcus ibis) - Staunton Harold
Given more time, I would have walked up the road to take some photos of it in the sheep pasture, but I needed to get back to base to check that all was OK with Lindsay.
 
No photography was attempted on the last day of the month, although we had a good number of birds visiting the garden.


Currently, I have no idea when my next blog post will be as we have a plethora of medical visits coming up in the next fortnight, culminating, if all goes to plan, with Lindsay having a second replacement knee on 12th February. I can see that I'm going to be rather busy for a while!

In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature. Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard

17 comments:

  1. I have little doubt, Richard, that getting out, if only for short intervals, is therapeutic and very necessary. We all hope that Lindsay’s knee operation will propel you both toward a resumption of a more normal life and that the load will once again be shared. The birds in general may not have been spectacular but that’s hardly the point is it? Old friends are always pleasing and the mere thought of Long-tailed Tits in our yard, for most of us, would kick our salivary glands into high gear! I remember so clearly, sitting in your conservatory and watching them and it was little short of magical. The weather is crazy here. Yesterday, Miriam and I were out and saw a road-killed skunk - unheard of in February. But most days it’s more like early April! Best wishes to you and Lindsay - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting out into nature, even if only for an hour or two, certainly helps lift the spirits, David.

      Our weather seems to be somewhat out of control too. We get a week of 10° to 18°c then a week of -5° to 0°, then it's back to 10° and the cycle repeats. Seems that when it's cold it sends to be sunny, and when it's warm it's cloudy and wet. The winds are rather prominent too - these named storms are breaking all records with their frequency, and have been some of the strongest in memory.

      Thank you for your kind thoughts. Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Good....to look through the results of your visits to the four locations Richard, and also good to see you kept your shutter finger in action on the camera, and good that the day warmed up nicely with the Cattle Egret.

    Sincerely hope things things are on the up, in particular Lindsey's issues .

    Kind Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pete. Were keeping our fingers crossed that all goes well and that life will start to get back to normal in a few week's time.

      Best wishes to you and KT - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. It’s a great collection of photos that you’ve picked up on your walks! I like the Reed Bunting (Emberiza schoeniclus) with its tiger plumage! Blackbirds are also found in my garden, I find them further away in the neighboring forest. Be well see you soon !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Philfff. I too find the Reed Bunting to be a very attractive species - both male and female - but maybe the female has the edge!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Hello Richard,
    You did a great job with the header and the pictures, I always have problems with the white balance... all the best
    Keep your fingers crossed, health comes first.
    Greetings to you and Lindsay
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank

      It is confession time! When I first got a digital SLR I used to set the camera for 'auto white-balance' but found that I got very variable results that were not easily rectified - and then a very accomplished photographer advised me to go for a fixed white balance and I have stuck to that ever since. My white balance is set to a colour temperature of K5500. Yes, when I take shots in dull weather or shade, my photos have a blue shade, but I easily fix that in the post-processing stage. In the winter, maybe 10%-20% of my shots need that adjustment. I do quite a lot of post-processing. Virtually every one of my photos that I present is cropped from the original - sometimes very heavily (maybe only 10% of the original!). I also do some adjustment of brightness and intensity on some of the shots that have been taken in dull weather, so it looks as if the light was better than it actually was!

      Thank you for your words of encouragement. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. I accidentally deleted Frank's response to my reply, above - sorry Frank! However, I have managed to retrieve the text from my notification e-mail, which is as follows:- "Hello Richard,
      Thanks for the confession..;-)) I also set the white balance manually so that I can always react to the respective situation, but I have to tell you that I don't edit anything except brightness, I don't have the peace of mind for such work I'm more of a hyperactive person and can't sit still for long.
      Greetings Frank" - thank you for that information, Frank - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. My apologies, Richard. I thought I had commented but apparently did not. I blame age. (For everything!)

    As David mentioned, the getting out is the thing. Nature provides a balm for the soul as nothing else can. Making our photographs is really secondary to allowing the experience to provide us with satisfaction.

    In your case, it doesn't hurt that you have given us some jewels to savor as a cold wind and pelting rain make getting out less than pleasant for some of us. Each of us shall see better days. Hopefully soon.

    Gini skipped all the lovely birds and focused immediately on the Teasel. "I want some of THAT!" Her experience as a florist conjured up all sorts of artistic arrangements using that amazing plant.

    Me, I'm going back over all the photos to enjoy each one.

    We're good. Hope you two can soon sing the same refrain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely no apologies necessary, Wally - I too find myself blaming my age for a multitude of omissions and failings.

      I can understand Gini's attraction to Teasels. The live flower heads are even more beautiful than the dried up dead ones. If there was a legal and inexpensive way of shipping some Teasels to Gini it would be my pleasure to do so.

      Hoping to be able to report with good news from this end in a couple of week's time. Best wishes to you and Gini - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hello Richard, indeed going out is best for the peace of mind and health. Sadly the weather is not very coöperative. But we are on our way to Spring and hope for more sunshine. Reading about a second knee replacement for Lindsay. I understand it will take all your time to stand by her so less time for nature. I do hope this time recovery will go better than the first time. Wishing Lindsay a speedy recovery. And all the best for you both.
    Warm regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your much-appreciated kind words, Roos. I hope that you soon find yourself in a better state of mind in these difficult times.

      With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      (QvQ)
      (......)
      --"---"--

      Delete
  7. Hello Richard :=)
    Sorry for the delay in getting here, doctor's and hospital appointments had to be attended to first. I wish that I could see the pretty Long.tailed Tit in the trees in my garden.What is it that attracts them to yours? I know that they exist in the forest but they seem very shy birds, not at all like the ones you see. Lovely photos of the Reed Bunting and Cattle Egret. The Canada Geese in flight is a great shot. I appreciate your need to get outdoors in the fresh air if only for a short walk and I'm pleased you were able to have several outings Your garden birds are not in short supply however and you photographed the Robin, Wren, and Female Blackbird beautifully. I do hope that future events give you more respite and that Lindsay's surgery is successful.
    All the best
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind wishes, Sonjia. I fully understand how doctor's and hospital appointments get in the way of life - I have five of them in the next 7 days, four of which require travel. Three of these are for Lindsay, who needs me to take her there. I hope that your own situation is now settling down to a more comfortable level.

      The Long-tailed Tits never stay for long. They pass through, often in a mixed flock including Blue Tits and Great Tits. When they do feed they take sunflower hearts - either from a tray, or from a cylindrical seed feeder.

      My very best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Me encantaron tus recorridos, las fotografías se ven preciosas. Deseando que todo vaya muy bien para Lindsay y para ti. Te dejo abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias por tus muy apreciados buenos deseos, Teresa. Dentro de quince días deberíamos tener una idea más clara de lo que nos depara el futuro inmediato a ambos.

      Mis mejores deseos - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.