Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Sunday 3 March 2024

All's Well That Ends Well - February 26th, 2024

Lindsay's recovery from her knee replacement is progressing nicely, and she now has enough confidence that she is happy for me to go out and leave her for up to three hours, provided that I'm at the end of a telephone and not too far away time-wise. In fact, she is now encouraging me to take time out.

On this day, having made sure that she was well equipped with all that she might need during my absence, I set off in the middle of the afternoon for a location that is about half an hour from our home. The weather forecast was for sunny periods with occasional showers, and this is what it turned out to be.

I am not going to divulge the name of the location that I headed to, as the regulars there do not want it to become overcrowded. 

I arrived to find just one other person on site. Like me, he was there hoping to get some photographs and had been there for about an hour without seeing anything of interest.

Soon after I arrived, a Wren made its presence known with its ridiculously loud voice for such a tiny bird.

Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes) - undisclosed location
After I had been there for about half an hour, another gentleman arrived porting a camera. Over the next hour, I took a few photos of two of three other species of bird that came into view, mainly to check on camera settings and excercise my shutter finger.

Coot (Fulica atra) - undisclosed site
Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) - undisclosed site

The person that had arrived last decided that the light had gone and, as nothing was happening, he'd depart. He had only been gone about five minutes, and I had just said to my original companion that I was going to have to head off myself in five minutes, when a Kingfisher arrived on the scene and landed on a post in the middle of the water.

Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis) (male) - undisclosed site
I quickly messaged Lindsay to check that it was OK if I was a few minutes late - it was!

The Kingfisher left the post and flew into a tree at the edge of the water. Sadly it was partially obscured by branches, but the effect of the 'flowers' was rather attractive.

Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis) (male) - undisclosed site
It did dive and caught a fish. I missed photographing the dive, and when it returned to the tree with the fish, my camera misfocused, so those shots were scrapped.

It then flew to a stick in the water that was nearer to our position. I'm rather pleased that the light on the water was such that the distance between the bird and the water resulted in a plain background. I realise that it might look as if the background has been 'photoshopped' out, but the only processes applied (other than a crop) were altering the 'colour balance' and the 'brightness, contrast, intensity' - the light was not good at this time!


Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis) (male) - undisclosed site
The bird then briefly flew to another stick in the water, but didn't stop long enough for a shot, before heading back to its original perch in the middle of the water.
 
Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis) (male) - undisclosed site

From there, it soon disappeared behind some distant reeds, but we didn't have to wait very long before it emerged and settled in some reeds where it was visible - albeit at quite a great distance.

Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis) (male) - undisclosed site
It stayed there for some time before it flew, and disappeared behind reeds even further away. It was now time to head home and I was just saying goodbye to my companion when I noticed a Barn Owl, off to my left. 

We both moved to a place a few metres away where we could see it more clearly, and I managed some very distant flight shots which were just about usable

Barn Owl (Tyto alba) - undisclosed site
It then settled on a dead branch for a while.


Barn Owl (Tyto alba) - undisclosed site


I got another opportunity for flight shots, but didn't fare any better as it was at some distance and against trees, making focus difficult.

Barn Owl (Tyto alba) - undisclosed site

It next settled high in an even more distant tree, before disappearing down a path that we were going to have to take in order to get to our cars.

Barn Owl (Tyto alba) - undisclosed site

We looked out for it as we headed back to our cars, but didn't spot it.

Thus ended a visit that started off disappointingly, but ended up being one of the most enjoyable and rewarding sessions that I've had for many months.

My next blog post will probably be back to happenings in our garden, as the weather forecast is for another rather wet spell.

In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature. Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard

24 comments:

  1. A double-whammy of good news here, Richard - Lindsay is responding well, so that enables you to venture a little farther afield for a little longer. Thank goodness for cell phones you might be heard to say. As for these sightings it would be successful day for me (and I suspect many others) to have an encounter like this with a kingfisher, to have it followed up with a Barn Owl; two five-star birds by anyone's reckoning. Anything is else is peripheral and a cherry on top of the whipped cream on top of the icing on the cake. Keep getting stronger, Lindsay; keep taking pictures, Richard. With very best wishes from Ontario where tomorrow the temperature is predicted to soar to a ridiculous seventeen degrees - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That really is a silly temperature, David! Our temperatures have recently been passing through a 'normal for the time of year' spell, with a heavy frost this morning, but tommorow is expected to peak at a balmy 9°.

      Lindsay continues to make good progress with her achieving a new milestone nearly every day. My own situation is still unresolved five months down the line.

      I'm very much looking forward to your Cuba reports.

      My very best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Hello Richard :=)
    Such thrilling unexpected moments! Superb shots of the beautiful and cooperative Kingfisher I have only seen one once in my life Richard and still have very vivid memories of the sighting. The Barn Owl was a bonus, and you must have been delighted with the day's outcome.It's also good news that Lindsay continues to improve.
    My best wishes to you both
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a very exciting session for me, Sonjia, and one that will take some beating. Thank you for your much-appreciated kind words - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Wow, the Kingfisher are absolutely stunning Richard, so close. Brilliant photographs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob - I'm delighted that you enjoyed the post. Take good care - best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Delighted to hear that Lindsay is doing well, hopefully recovery this time will not have the hiccups that the first knee caused,

    So glad that you stayed for that extra 5 minutes, the kingfisher photos are superb and I enjoyed every one of them, Having said that, the Barn Owl still has to be my favourite, A few years since I have now seen one but I am looking forward to hearing the Little Owl when we get back home.

    My very best wishes to you both and hoping that you will soon have better news for yourself.

    Wishing you both all the very best, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane - your visit is very much appreciated, especially as I know that you are suffering with very slow internet connection there!

      These encounters with the Kingfisher and Barn Owl certainly helped me keep my head above water in the current circumstances.

      I hope that the Little Owls are there to greet you when you gat home, but I suspect that you're going to be very busy sorting out your garden after such a long absence!

      My very best wishes to you and Nigel - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Thanks to Lindsey and her thoughtful and kind hearted suggestion that you 'get out', you had good rewards and made good use of your camera at the undisclosed site with Kingfisher and Barn Owl on film.

    Kind Regards also to Lindsey and her continuing improvement....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsay is absolutely wonderful when it comes to encouraging me to get on with life during her convalescence, Pete. At the current rate of progress, I might even be able to take a full day out in a month or so, allowing me to return to some of my favourite haunts.

      My best wishes to you and KT - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Lovely, interesting post David. Regards to Lindsey on her continuing improvement. Take care,
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mike. I will pass your regards on to Lindsay. Take good care - - - Richard (a.k.a David!)

      Delete
  7. Hello Richard,
    Nice news about Lindsay's recovery, nice news from you too... sensational the kingfisher, I would have gone home with a proud chest and then you get the barn owl in front of the camera... perfect... all ends well, all is well ...
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes things just come together, Frank, and we have to cherish those moments.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Gini and I are both really pleased to hear Lindsay is doing well. We'll keep thinking positive thoughts as her recovery progresses.

    Your outing once again proves that patience pays. Nothing exciting happening, almost ready to pack it in and here comes a flying jewel to perch atop a bare branch - just for you. That distant shot of the bright Kingfisher among the brown reeds is quite special. Now satisfied the day has been a good one, our intrepid photographer prepares to head home, only to be stopped in his tracks by a Barn Owl!

    I would be feeling as if I had won the Birding Lottery!

    Well done, Richard. I really enjoyed being with you, virtually, on a special outing.

    All good here. Too much to photograph - not enough time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience certainly does have its benefits, Wally, as this particular session shows, but at my age it helps if there's a little comfort to accompany the patience! I felt sorry for the poor soul who departed five minutes prior to the Kingfisher's appearance - the light was not too difficult as, I believe, my images show.

      Thank you, both, for your positive thoughts - they seem to be working.

      My very best wishes to you and Gini - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Fue un buen avistamiento, me encanta el martín pescado y la lechuza común, por aquí los suelo ver bastante. Me alegra que Lindsay se esté recuperando bien, pronto me tocará a mí en la rodilla derecha. Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Espero que tu experiencia con tu nueva rodilla derecha, Teresa, sea tan buena como la de Lindsay con su nueva rodilla izquierda. ¡Después de sólo tres semanas y media, camina mejor que en algunos años!

      Cuidate mucho - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Zajrzałam do ciebie z bloga Davida. Poszukuję poszukiwaczy, obserwatorów, szukam ciekawych fotografii. Dobrze, że tu trafiłam, bo zobaczyłam moje ulubione ptaki: zimorodka i płomykówke, którą widziałam tylko w nocy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dziękuję za wizytę Ludmiła. Bardzo się cieszę, że spodobały Ci się moje zdjęcia zimorodka i płomykówki.

      Z najlepszymi życzeniami z Anglii - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. Lovely pictures of the Kingfisher and Barn Owl - thanks for sharing.
    Yes Wrens do make an incredible noise for such a small bird.
    Saw my first butterfly of the year last Wednesday(Small Tortoiseshell) and had first moth last night ((Common Quaker) so things are waking up but bitterly cold easterly wind up here today.

    Ian Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ian. My first (and only, so far) butterfly this year was a Brimstone on 15th February. Was your Common Quaker seen 'in the wild' or did you have a moth trap out? I've not deployed a moth trap so far this year as things have been a little busy. We too have been having those cold easterlies - not very pleasant at all!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. The Common Quaker was in my moth trap.

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.