Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Sunday 31 March 2024

Calke Unbottled Again - 22nd March, 2024

Before I dive into the meat of this blog post, I'd just like to give an update on matters in the Pegler household. My regular readers will know that Lindsay has been going through a rough time this past eighteen months. This was due to a knee replacement that didn't go according to plan, leading to a drastic failure of her other knee which was compensating for the first one. We had to have her second knee replaced privately in February as it was looking like a two year waiting list for it to be done under our National Health Service. Couple this with a painfully arthritic hip which is also booked for a replacement, she has been through a lot. However, things are very much on the up, and her mobility and comfort are increasing day by day.

You may also have noticed that there has been the occasional reference by some of my followers to my own condition. I will explain.

Early in October, I sought medical advice on some problems I was having, which turned out to be sciatica. However, during that consultation, some of my symptoms, including weight loss, raised the possibility of me having cancer. This was obviously a great worry, particularly as I was concerned about the continuity of me being able to look after Lindsay in her state of disability. It took a month for me to be given an appointment for an x-ray to investigate the situation and the results were inconclusive. It was then decided that I needed an ultrasound scan. This resulted in nearly another month of delay for an appointment that I attended, only to be told that they couldn't do the scan because someone had forgotten to tell me that I had to fast for six hours beforehand. It was another six weeks before they could give me another appointment. When the scan came through, they showed a thickening of the liver and gallbladder and I was told that cancer could still not be ruled out.  I was then advised that I needed a CT scan. The appointment came through for 12th February. After the scan I was told that it would take two to three weeks for the results to come through. By this time I was getting considerably uncomfortable - both physically and mentally. When they did come through, I was relieved to be told that I probably did not have cancer, but that I had calcification of the gallbladder and gall stones too. I was given an appointment with a surgeon on 11th March who said that there was no sign of cancer, but that I needed to have my gallbladder removed. This was, of course, great news. The operation is now scheduled for late April and, if all goes to plan, should be via keyhole surgery, with me being discharged the same day. I am now quite relaxed mentally but, because the pain had greatly increased in the past four weeks and was interfering with my sleep and making me feel quite ill, am now on painkillers and anti-inflammatories.

Because of all of the above, my excursions out have all been quite short and to places requiring the minimum of physical exertion.

This blog post concerns one of those excursions where I did a reasonable amount of walking, but all on the flat. 

Friday, 22nd March          Staunton Harold  :  Calke Park

A fine weather afternoon was forecast, and I felt the need for some bird photography, with one or both of the hides at Calk Park being my chosen destination.

Due to a long-term road closure a long diversion was in place, but I managed to short-cut this by passing through the grounds of Staunton Harold. It occurred to me that, while I did so, I could call in to see if the Cattle Egret was still here. When I got to the location, I found that the sheep had all gone and there was no sign of the Cattle Egret, which had favoured the sheep pasture.

My route then took me to a corner from which it is possible to walk into Calke Park. A few hundred metres up the lane from the gate was where I once had a Little Owl site. My last sighting of an owl here was in July 2015 when I took Canadian friends Miriam and David there, and Miriam was the first to spot an owl. Sadly, on this day, I found that the tree that had been occupied by the owls had totally decayed to nothing. The nearby wet area which sometimes hosts Mandarin Duck was also devoid of any birds.

I returned to my car and drove round to the main entrance to Calke Park, parked in the Calke Explore car park, and trotted off to the nearby hide. As I approached the hide, I found my first hoverfly of the year, on the boardwalk - a Tapered Dronefly.

Tapered Dronefly (Eristalis pertinax) (male) - Calke Park
There were just two people (a couple) in the hide when I arrived and they turned out to be amiable companions. There were plenty of birds visible from the hide - mainly of common species. I was soon exercising my shutter finger.

Reed Bunting (Emberiza schoeniclus) (male) - Calke Park

I had not been in the hide long, when one of my companions drew my attention to a Water Rail that was approaching down the watercourse that passes near to the hide. I will now be giving you a bit of an overload of Water Rail images, as this is a species that I do not often get the opportunity to photograph, and this was probably my best ever views of a Water Rail.






Water Rail (Rallus aquaticus) - Calke Park

There is something magical and enchanting about the movement of a Water Rail, and so I was pleased to get some video from this session too.


Water Rail (Rallus aquaticus) - Calke Park
Eventually the Water Rail departed whence it came, and I settled in to photographing the other birds.

Robin put in a few appearances.

Robin (Erithacus rubecula) - Calke Park
I have a soft spot for Dunnocks. The markings on the face are beautiful, although they do not show so well in these images.


Dunnock (Prunella modularis) - Calke Park
Reed Bunting (male and female) made frequent visits. My personal preference in the beauty stakes is for the female.

Reed Bunting (Emberiza schoeniclus) (male) - Calke Park

Reed Bunting (Emberiza schoeniclus) (female) - Calke Park

Five species of tit were seen, but I failed to get shots of Coal Tit and Long-tailed Tit. 

Great Tit (Parus major) - Calke Park


Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus) - Calke Park
I was most excited, however, to see that Marsh Tits were doing well here. This Red-listed species is considered, locally, to be an "uncommon resident breeder".


Marsh Tit (Poecile palustris) - Calke Park
It was approaching 4 p.m. and the low sun behind the hide caused a shadow to be cast in front of the hide that covered much of the area where photographs might be taken. It was now time to leave, but I did photograph one of the squirrels that was, from time to time, arriving and scattering the birds from the area.

Grey Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) - Calke Park

It had been a most enjoyable and rewarding afternoon out, and I came back feeling invigorated.


I believe that my next blog post will be a mop-up of some of my other March observations. In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature. Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard


20 comments:

  1. Good news on the health front, Richard, and the visit to Calke Park was probably the tonic you needed. The shots, and the videos of the Water Rail are quite wonderful; as you say a species you don't come across every day, and especially so cooperative an individual. We are certainly indebted to you for bringing us a lovely selection of tits, never a bad thing I am sure you will agree. Best wishes to you both - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it is good to go somewhere where one just knows that it is likely to be productive, such as Calke Park, David. Sadly, there are not many such places close to home. It is, however, equally (if not more) rewarding to find something special in a place that is not usually so blessed with plenty of birds and other wildlife. Maybe I'll front my next blog post with more tits - just for you David.

      Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. An excellent forward to your post to bring followers up to date re 'matters in the Peglar household'.

    Your encounter with the Water Rail is well documented with some great footage, not an easy subject to find let alone to film.

    Hope things continue to be on the up Richard, and my Kind Regards to Lindsey also.

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Water Rail session was the birding highlight of March for me, Pete. I'm hoping that April will bring in some interest - maybe in the form of my first odonata for the year?

      Best wishes from central England where the sun has decided to shine on this bank holiday Monday afternoon - maybe I should go out for a short while. Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. We had a big sigh of relief here concerning your health update. Hopefully, the upcoming procedure will provide relief for the pain you've been suffering. You both will continue to be in our thoughts.

    It seems your shutter finger has not forgotten how to achieve excellent photographs. What a wonderful series! Any outing which includes observing a rail would be a memorable one for me. To be able to include such incredible photographs would be icing on the cake.

    Your initial image of the hoverfly is outstanding.

    Gini and I hope your new week will be a good one as we wish you and Lindsay all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping for a speedy recovery from that op, Wally, as we're booked to have a vacation in the Outer Hebrides shortly afterwards, which involves me driving nearly 500 miles each way!

      At last, the insect season is arriving here, with butterflies, bees, and hoverflies already on the wing. I'm hoping for the first odos towards the end of the month - fingers are crossed!

      This week it's just two booked medical visits (so far!) - LIndsay to talk to a surgeon about her hip operation (at last, that seems to be getting under way), and me to have another injection into my right eye to stave off wet macular degeneration. Ah, the joys of getting old!

      Thank you for your supportive words. My very best wishes to you and Gini - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Great news to hear that both of you appear to be on the mend and doing well after receiving good news. Lovely Water Rail images. Not an easy bird to photograph. I've been trying to import a few videos but can't email them to myself as the files are too big. The only way I can think of is to video the video with my phone but I can only have a 10 second video. How do you do your? Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marc. I'm not sure why you are trying to email videos to yourself. Do I take it that your videos that you are trying to import were taken on your phone? The videos in this post were taken on my camera, so were fed from the memory card into my PC via a card reader, just like the stills are transferred. I use the same method for extracting video from the trail cams deployed in the garden. On the rare occasion that I take shots (video or stills) with my phone (Android), I just connect the phone to the PC via a USB cable. Please feel free to DM me via Twitter (I refuse to call it 'X') if you want to discuss it further.

      Best wishes - take care - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Hello Richard,
    After reading the introduction, I was already reassured that there was no cancer to be found with you, the rail came very close to you and you got very nice pictures, but the robin is my favorite.
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frank. I fully understand your liking the Robin - they are always a delight to see and, thankfully, they are seen virtually every time I go out into the countryside, as well as daily in our garden.

      My best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. I am sure that a day out at the hide improved your spirits. I have never seen a Water Rail, so I was delighted to see all the photos and especially the videos that I can now see since we got cable last year. I do love Dunnocks, we have, what I think is only one here that pops in occasionally but it is very shy and spends most of its time hiding from me.

    We are back home now and so much to do but the continuous rain is not helping. I will eventually catch up but so many photos to go through. I did do a quick blog last night and I will try to do some more reasonably soon.

    I will be thinking of you on the 26th, I have another friend in France who has just had the same op here but I am waiting to hear from him.

    Wishing you both all the best and better health. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to see you safely back home again, Diane - thank you for taking the time to drop by, when I know you will be extremely busy after such a long time away.

      I don't know if you are aware that Dunnocks are, unusually for most birds, polygamous by nature. They are always a delight to see, and we consider ourselves lucky that they are frequent visitors to our garden.

      Sorry for the delay in replying - was a bit incapacitated by an eye injection yesterday.

      My very best wishes to you and Nigel - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. I often wonder if the one Dunnock that I spot very occasionally in our garden is not the same one all the time. Maybe he keeps his harem under control :-))) Take it easy, D

      Delete
  7. Me alegra saber que todo está bien y tus resultados hagan salidos negativos de cáncer, también que Lindsay se esté recuperando bien. Yo estoy esperando mí operación de prótesis de rodilla. Tu reportaje es precioso, me ha encantado. Abrazos amigo Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Espero que no tengas que esperar mucho para operarte la rodilla, Teresa, y que cuando la tengas sea tan exitosa como la de Lindsay. Cruzaré los dedos por ti. Gracias por sus amables palabras.

      Mis mejores deseos desde una Inglaterra cálida pero con mucho viento. Cuídense mucho. - - - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Hello Richard :=)
    I am greatly relieved that your anxiety is now over since receiving the good news about the state of your health. I wish you well when you have your surgery this month.and I hope pain free before too long..Now
    back to your photos. All the Tit family are beautifully photographed and so is the Robin and Dunnock, all lovely little birds to see, but I think the Water Rail is the star of your post today Richard. It is such a secretive bird, and you did so well to capture all these fabulous photo's and videos of this very attractive bird. When I'm excited about seeing a bird I also post loads of photos, and I loved every one of yours.
    All the best to you and Lindsay.
    Take care
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sonjia. The Water Rail sighting was a real highlight for me. I might go back there sometime soon to see if I can see one gain.

      I'm really looking forward to my operation - less than three weeks to go now, unless something crops up!

      My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hi Richard, get well soon you and Lindsay. Nice photos of the birds and squirrels. Have a nice weekend !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caroline. At last we are getting some warm and realtively dry weather here and I am able to do some work in the garden. However, the winds are very strong, and it looks af if it will stay that way for a few days.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.