Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Sunday 31 December 2017

Boxing Day - 26th December, 2017

Lindsay and I usually have a picnic lunch in the countryside at some time round Christmas Day. This was, for a number of years, on Christmas Day itself. However, for the past two years we have been invited to our daughter Melanie's house for Christmas lunch, so have had our picnic on Christmas Eve. This year Melanie wanted to do things differently with the main meal on Christmas Eve, and a buffet lunch on Christmas Day. Lindsay and I, therefore, postponed our picnic to Boxing Day lunch.

Lindsay requested that we go to Cannock Chase as she hadn't been there so far this year.  It's a place we are both fond of and it can, occasionally, throw up some interesting birds. The day dawned mild and sunny and I was concerned that the place might be a little busy. However it was even busier than we feared! On arrival at the car park there was just one space available and it was furthest from the bird action. We persevered for a while, attacking our picnic lunch. Eventually a space became free near to where the birds were feeding, but we both had a very limited field of view, and that was mainly through the car windscreen, and there were so many people around that the more interesting birds were staying away. It was just the more common tits plus Dunnocks and Chaffinches, and the occasional Bullfinch and Nuthatch, to keep us amused, and a solitary sighting of a Willow Tit to cause excitement. There was only one place I could get any sort of photo if a bird landed there - and that wasn't ideal for light or background. I took shots of several species in exactly the same position, so will only offer one:-

Great Tit (Parus major) - Cannock Chase
I even tried taking some shots through the windscreen, but this is never satisfactory. I just about managed a Robin!

Robin (Erithacus rubecula)  - Cannock Chase
We weren't there for long before we decided to give up and head off for a mug of tea at Springslade Lodge. Lindsay had been hoping to see some deer, but we'd come to the conclusion that there were so many people wandering around that we didn't stand a chance. However. we'd only got a couple of hundred metres from our parking spot when Lindsay spotted one in the trees beside the road.

Roe Deer (Capreolus capreolus) (female) - Cannock Chase
When we arrived at Springslade Lodge we found the place was packed and we had to wait a while and take a seat outside on the terrace to drink our tea. It was then time to head homeward.

In the past, Whitemoor Haye has been a good place for birds, with a large swan roost each winter which regularly turns up Whoopers and Bewicks, and has also been good for Corn Bunting. I'd not been there this year so we made a small diversion to check it out. I was quite upset to see the whole area has undergone massive earthworks, but can find no information as to what these pertain. We continued a circular drive round, seeing only four Mute Swans and little in the way of passerines. We then turned a corner and I immediately spotted a Buzzard in the hedge on my side of the single-track road. I slewed the car round at around 30° across the road, turned off the engine and took a shot, expecting the bird to do the usual thing of taking off as soon as I poked my lens out of the window - it did no such thing!

I started the car again and moved a little closer and took more shots. It didn't budge!

Common Buzzard (Buteo buteo) (juvenile) - Whitemoor Haye
I started the car once more and edged a little closer. I was probably less than 10 metres away now, and still it stayed.


Common Buzzard (Buteo buteo) (juvenile) - Whitemoor Haye
I felt sure it would go when I started the car yet again, and got the distance down to  around six metres - but it didn't!

Common Buzzard (Buteo buteo) (juvenile) - Whitemoor Haye
Unbelievably it stayed there when I again started the car and stopped opposite it, probably at less than 4 metres distance. It was only when it saw my amazed face looking at it that it lazily took to the air and departed. I suspect that I'll never get as close to a wild Buzzard as this ever again, and that I only had this privilege because it was a juvenile. Here's a shot of it departing.

Common Buzzard (Buteo buteo) (juvenile) - Whitemoor Haye
When I came to check my camera I was worried to see that I was still set up for shooting in the shade of woodland. My shots had been taken at an unnecessarily high ISO value (800) and consequently at a rather high shutter speed (1/5000s). My set-up does not usually work well at high shutter speeds (I don't know why!), but I seem to have got away with it, and it will have helped with that last shot. I do, however, think I'd have done better shooting at ISO 200 for those static shots.

Closer to home we stopped in the car park a Oakthorpe Colliery as it was probably years since Lindsay had been there. On this occasion there were only common birds coming to the feeders, and the Willow Tits were not seen. Here's a couple from that session.

Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus) - Oakthorpe Colliery
Coal Tit (Periparus ater) - Oakthorpe Colliery
After this it was a five minute journey to our home. We'd had a most enjoyable day, even if only common birds had been seen, but the Buzzard had been a real bonus. We did, however, make a mental note not to go anywhere quite so 'public' on Boxing Day next year, especially if the weather is fine!

I take this opportunity to wish my readers A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR! If you are making New Year resolutions, please include a commitment to work towards making this planet a better place, particularly for its wildlife - it's time we all made amends for past abuse.

Thank you for dropping by.

30 comments:

  1. Sounds like a day that started out with great frustration turning out well, Richard, and your encounter with the Buzzard is memorable indeed. I guess the moral of this story, if there is one, is to go somewhere not as much on the public radar, but even more get out of the car and walk! There is a chance to see more and photography is not hampered by dirty windshields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't desperately frustrating, David, but a little disappointing. We'd have been even worse off it we'd had got out and walked. I tried this, out of necessity, at one point and found it difficult to find a bushy 10 metre square without at least one family walking by. These were, of course, disturbing the birds. The problem with photography through the car windshield is not one of dirt, but of the curvature in the glass upsetting the optic qualities.

      With love and best wishes for 2018 to you both - - Richard

      Delete
  2. That was a great encounter with the Buzzard Richard. The Roe Deer was also so close good spotting. And ofcourse I agree with you that we should do much more for the planet and its wildlife. I do my best. For you and Lindsay also the best wishes for the New Year 2018.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That encounter was an absolute delight, Roos. It was Lindsay's eagle-eye that spotted the deer!

      In the last six months I think that a lot of people have started to realise just what a serious state our planet is in. Sadly, it seems to be people in high places that are in denial. We have to make them realise that they are wrong, and that they are likely to find their position untenable if they don't do something about it - NOW!

      I'm hoping that 2018 will be a turning point for the fortunes of the planet.

      I wish you and your family a very happy and wildlife-filled New Year - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Hello Richard,
    Great post, congratulations for the buzzard pictures!
    That flight one is brilliant!
    I wish you and Lindsay a great new year and an excellent health and many opportunities at birding and photos!
    All the best,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Noushka. I have much appreciated your friendship and encouragement in 2017, and am looking forward to seeing what you get up to in 2018. Take good care, and have a wonderful New Year - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. Thank you Richard, I value your very much too :)
      I am starting this year with a 3 weeks trip to Kenya in a few days, I hope all goes well!
      You too take good care and share my warm hugs with Lindsay!

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Noushka - I hope you have a fabulous time!

      Delete
  4. Absolutely stunning observations! Happy New year Richard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne, and Happy New Year to you and the family too - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Those Buzzard pictures are fantastic. I hope you have a fantastic 2018.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Finn. It was a delightful experience. My very best wishes to you and the family for 2018. I hope your year is even more spectacular than 2017 - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Cracking Buzzard images Richard I too sadly suffer from 'Buzzard bugs when lens pokes out' syndrome so know how lucky you were, I guess fair compensation for having to deal with the crowds.
    Hope you have had a good Christmas and wish you a happy new year too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Doug. Had a pretty good Christmas, and am looking forward to birding in 2018. Sadly, have just been packaging up my Sigma 50-500 lens to send to Sigma for repair. Just found out that the Optical Stabilisation on the old 150-500, which I'm now having to use till the 50-500 comes back, is incompatible with my current Nikon body. I'll just have to hope for some decent light and a quick return of the 50-500!

      I hope that you have a great 2018 - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. I love them all, but, the best of Common Buzzard, superb Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. That Buzzard was a really licky break!

      Happy New Year - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. what a lovely tradition to have a picnic round Christmas time and seeing that Buzard must have made you day Richard. HAPPY NEW YEAR to you. I wish you good health, happiness and peace in 2018

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret. We started those Christmas picnics in memory of my mother who used to come and stay with us each Christmas. She was a nature lover, and a talented nature artist.

      A very happy New Year to you too! Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Happy New Year. Great photographs as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Adrian, and a very happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  10. Wonderful variety of birds and beautiful photos. I especially love your sweet robin and the cool Buzzard.
    Have a happy day and new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen. Thank you for your visit and your kind words. I hope that 2018 is a great year for you - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. All of your bird pictures are gorgeous ... I especially enjoyed your Common Buzzard as I am a hawk and owl and even Vulture fanatic. This is a handsome bird and I am wondering how you determined he was a juvenile? I know here our Red Tail Hawks don't get their adult feathers until their second year, but I don't know what adult feathers are for the Common Buzzard. A very nice series, indeed ... and a Happy New Year to you ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea. Thank you for your kind words.

      I'm no expert, but I decided on 'juvenile' based on three things:- 1) the pale colouration of the chest (most adults of this species are darker with a noticeable pale crescent area); 2) the vestiges of a yellow 'gape' at the base if the bill; 3) its confiding/incautious attitude to my presence - virtually all Common Buzzards that I have encountered fly off as soon as I stop the car, and this one didn't even bat an eyelid each time I noisily started up the engine to move closer. But, as I said, I'm no expert so I could be wrong!

      I hope you have a great 2018 - - - Richard

      Delete
  12. Beautiful! I especially like the chickadee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty. Thank you for your visit. I think that the American name of 'chickadee' is far more expressive of the birds character than the British name of 'tit' which occasionally gives rise to coarse chuckles and comments! The name 'tit' is an abbreviation of the old name of 'titmouse', which, itself is a compound name (it all gets a bit involved an unclear!). Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  13. Such wonderful photos! What a lovely way to spend Christmas. I love that little roe deer, and your raptor photos are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. Our Christmas picnic is something we always look forward to - even if this year it was a little different to what we'd hoped for! Best wishes for this New Year - - - Richard

      Delete
  14. The buzzard is wonderful, I love the blue tit and the coal which I’m sure somebody has already told you looks a lot like the chickadee we have over on this side (and which is my favorite yard bird). Love the way you celebrate Christmas with a picnic and birding (on whichever day it is).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sallie. With all the bright lights, noise, and other festive excesses of Christmas, it's great to get out into the countryside and have a simple meal whilst communing with nature. Best wishes to you - - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.