Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Thursday 9 September 2021

Catchup - July, 2021

Herewith my catchup session for July, with observations not covered in my previous posts. 

Friday, 2nd July          Garden

Although some distance from the nearest woodland, we do occasionally see Speckled Wood butterfly in our garden. This was one of those occasions!

Speckled Wood (Pararge aegeria) - garden on 2nd July, 2021
 Wednesday, 6th July          Garden

I has been an exceptionally good year for visits to the garden by three corvid species - Magpie, Jackdaw, and Carrion Crow. We think that this is probably due to a lady in one of the new council bungalows behind our garden regularly putting out large scraps (mainly bread) for the birds - we refer to her as Crowella!

Carrion Crow (Corvus corone) - garden on 6th July, 2021
Saturday, 17th July          Garden

Having returned from a week in the New Forest late afternoon the previous day, I was keen to check on what might have been happening in the garden.

I was pleased to see a fly species that I don't believe I have seen before. It stood out because of the bright green eyes, metallic green thorax, and white tips to the clear wings. I believe this to be Poecilobothrus nobilitatus. The white wing tips identify this as a male.

Poecilobothrus nobilitatus (male) - garden on 17th July, 2021
The best feature of the day, however, was a juvenile Great Spotted Woodpecker that arrived just after 9.30 a.m. and was with us for most of the day until nearly 7 p.m! This bird spent a very active day in the garden - clearly practising its moves, including chiselling at wood. This gave me many photo opportunities, albeit at a distance, so I shall indulge myself with some reminders of this visit.

 

Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major) (juvenile) - garden on 17th July, 2021
Sunday, 18th July          Garden

Woody was with us again this day, although not for so long as on the previous day.

The Carrion Crows had obviously bred successfully as we had a visit to the Rowan tree by four of them. The following image shows three of the four - the fourth was just out of the picture to the bottom right but had its back to the camera so has been 'cropped out'.

Carrion Crow (Corvus corone) - garden on 18th July, 2021

The moth trap went out that night. It resulted in 65 moths of 34 species, including 10 species that were new for the garden. Here are a few of the most interesting (to me, anyway!) ones. I'd seen my first ever The Herald in Hampshire earlier in the month and had been keen to find one in the garden.

The Herald (Scoliopteryx libatrix) - from garden on 18th July, 2021
Scalloped Oak (Crocallis elinguaria) - from garden on 18th July, 2021
Small Ranunculus (Hecatera dysodea) - from garden on 18th July, 2021
Coronet (Craniophora ligustri) - from garden on 18th July, 2021
Early Thorn (Selenia dentaria) (male) - from garden on 18th July, 2021
Campion (Sideridis rivularis) - from garden on 18th July, 2021
The biggest prize, however, was finding a Buff Arches in the trap. This is a moth that I have always wanted to see in the flesh - not because of its rarity (it is relatively common!), but because of its wonderful appearance. To my mind, it looks as if it has a hole in its back!

Buff Arches (Habrosyne pyritoides) - from Garden on 18th July, 2021

Tuesday, 20th July          Garden

The juvenile Great Spotted Woodpecker was still visiting us, but not so frequently and not for so long now. This would turn out to be the last photo that I took of this individual, although I can but hope that it will return sometime in its adult plumage.

Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major) (juvenile) - garden on 17th July, 2021
Wednesday 21st July          my Little Owl Site No.34

Lindsay requested that we visit one of her favourite picnic spots for a lunch on her birthday. This just happens to be my favourite picnic spot also! It was a real pleasure to have additional company during lunch.

Little Owl (Athene noctua) - my LO Site No.34
Friday, 23rd July          Garden

We don't see many Small Skippers in our garden, so I was pleased to be able to get some shots of one. The lack of black 'brand' on the forewing identifies this as a female.

Small Skipper (Thymelicus sylvestris) (female)  - garden on 23rd July, 2021
That brings me to the end of my July Catchup. The apparent lack of activity for the last week in July is due to my being busy with Vapourer moths and Elephant Hawk-moth larvae.

I suspect that my next blog post will be an August Catchup which will, hopefully, bring me nearly up to date!

Until the next time, take good care of yourself and Nature. We need Nature, and Nature needs to recover from all the abuse it has suffered at the hand of humankind.

20 comments:

  1. An impressive catch of 34 species of moths in the garden trap, giving much pleasure and interest to look through, in particular the top prize of the Buff Arches. Must get the trap I mentioned to you some time ago Richard....Watch this space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my best catch ever for number of species, Pete, and it might have been even more if a cloud of moths hadn't escaped as I took the lid off - something that doesn't usually happen, but I got up a bit late and it had got a bit warm at the trap. Beware - moth trapping can be very time consuming, but there's help available with ID through @MothIDUK on Twitter, who usually comes back with an ID in a matter of minutes!

      Delete
  2. Your garden has proven to be an amazing spot, Richard, but I have no doubt that you knew this. The visit of the young woodpecker was no doubt extremely satisfying and thirty-four species of moth in a garden trap is impressive. Even more impressive is the skill to identify them all! Finally, what could me more satisfying to celebrate a special day than to have a Little Owl join you? The Fates were with you that day! All the best to you and Lindsay. David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As mentioned to Pete, above, David, if there's a difficult moth to identify, I've found a Twitter account that provides a wonderful resource on UK moth identification, and responds almost immediately!

      Although I no longer have the stamina to spend hours on end in search of new Little Owl sites, nor the confidence to be out in the back of beyond as darkness falls, I do take delight in checking the old sites - especially when I find a Little Owl, as I did earlier this week! My best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. On a given day my stamina level is still good, Richard, but I certainly can't go full out for days on end any more. If I am away for an extended period, at some point I need to take a day off.

      Delete
    3. I can usually manage 7 or 8 hours out in the field, David, but find that I could do with sitting down after about 3 hours, mainly for relief from the kit I'm carrying. I shall probably walking around 5 to 10km each day on our forthcoming visit to the Scillies. Prospective owling is a different matter, with often rough terrain, lots of stiles to get over, gates to negotiate, and livestock to be wary of.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant the Great Spotted Woodpecker juvenile, absolutely stunning shots. And I must to take Moths, beautiful, but Richard, you give it do plenty, love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bob, it is always a great delight for me to hear from you, and your very kind words are very much appreciated. Thank you so much! Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Hello Richard
    July was very good for you, of course the little owl is my favorite and at the picnic it tastes even better :-))
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. July was not one of my best months, Frank, although I had a very good time in the New Forest in the middle of the month. However, it was better than August - which is coming up on my next blog post, but I think that there will be enough to make it interesting!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Hello Richard, I'm so pleased to be able to visit you today, after a long absence. Blogging was put to one side, for various sad reasons, but now I have returned, with little energy, but eager to see your wonderful nature photos. The captures of the juvenile Woodpecker are all lovely, but I must say that I like the close up of the youngster with the contemplative expression, in the fork of the tree, and the one that is asleep, or appears to be. All happening in your garden. So many moths, all with various patterns on all of their wings which are intricate and so beautiful.To end your post with a Little Owl, after seeing butterflies and other birds, for me was the icing on the cake. I really enjoyed my visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Sonjia. I have missed you on Blogger without knowing the reason why and it took a while to find your blog again as your 'profile' on Blogger is blank - but I have now just managed to find you and learn of your very sad loss earlier this year. Please accept my very belated condolences.

      Thank you so much for visiting my blog once more, and for your very kind words. I'm delighted to hear that your visit gave you some pleasure.

      Best wishes - take great care and stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Beautiful set of pictures Richard. I like the woodpecker half asleep best. Take care.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that the woodpecker is half asleep in that shot Mike. It's sitting on the edge of a bird-bath and has just been having a drink - I suspect it might have just been trying to keep the water out of its eyes! Stay safe, and enjoy your foxes - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Dear Richard, Thank you for your much appreciated kind words. I'm sorry you had such difficulty finding me, but so pleased you did. Thank you for visit. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why clicking on your icon beside your comment on my blog was taking me to a 'blank' profile page for you, Sonjia. It seems to work fine now! Anyway, I should not be missing another post from you as I have added a link to your blog at the side of mine. Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. I thought I had left a comment here but maybe because it took so log to download I gave up! There is talk that we might get fibre but I will believe it when I see it!!!

    Love the woodpecker shots, I hear them regularly in our garden but very seldom do I get to see them. When all the leaves drop it might be easier, but I do not wish winter on us any earlier than needs be!! Love the Little Owl, also another one I hear regularly, but since they have moved their nesting spot I rarely see them.

    Keep well and stay safe, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have checked back, Diane, and no sign of any comment from you on this post before now. I hope that you DO get fibre soon. The frustration of slow internet doesn't bear thinking about!

      Woodpeckers so rarely visit our garden that Lindsay and I both get very excited if one does show up. That excitement is matched if I find a Little Owl on my travels - it's so sad that the population of them has declined so rapidly in recent years.

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.