Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Saturday 4 September 2021

Elephants in The Garden - Summer, 2021

Some years we are lucky enough to find an Elephant Hawk-moth larva in our garden. This is usually when they are wandering around looking for a suitable place to pupate, so it is the rather spectacular full-grown caterpillar that we see. Since I have been moth-trapping we also get the adult moths most years - we missed in 2019.

Sunday, 25th July

Although I am responsible for virtually all the gardening on our property - a duty that I have not done too well with over the past couple of years but that I am now starting to get on top of - Lindsay has a small raised bed in which she grows herbs. This year almost a half of this raised bed was bare, apart from a few Rosebay Willowherb plants which had invaded and not been weeded out. Lindsay had started to attend to this when she came to me to tell me that she'd found a large caterpillar. I went to check.

Sure enough, there in her herb bed was a large green Elephant Hawk-moth caterpillar - identifiable by its 'eye-spots'. By its size it appeared that it was a late instar, but this species usually changes its colour from green to brown in its 4th instar, so I was unsure.

Elephant Hawk-moth (Deilephila elpenor) (larva) - garden on 25th July, 2021
I then found another, smaller, individual partly hidden nearby. This one was clearly an earlier instar and, although it had 'eye-spots' it lacked other markings. I'm going to refer to the previous one as No.1 and this one as No.2.

Elephant Hawk-moth No.2 (Deilephila elpenor) (larva) - garden on 25th July, 2021
This caused me to look even harder, and I found a third caterpillar. This one was quite tiny compared to the others and if it hadn't had the 'tail horn' I might have doubted its species. This was, of course, No.3.

Elephant Hawk-moth No.3 (Deilephila elpenor) (larva) - garden on 25th July, 2021
Tuesday, 27th July

Two days later, No.1's markings were getting more pronounced and I realised that this was probably one of the few individuals that didn't turn brown in their 4th instar.

Elephant Hawk-moth No.1 (Deilephila elpenor) (larva) - garden on 27th July, 2021
Thursday, 29th July

The two larger caterpillars had started disappearing for much of the time and only coming out to feed. As the raised bed is 2 ft (60 cm) off the ground, we came to the conclusion that, for the rest of the time, they were sheltering under the dense foliage of the sage bush in the raised bed.

No.1 was still growing and still green. He had now been maned 'Peter' - after  Peter Green, who was one of my favourite guitarists.

Elephant Hawk-moth No.1 (Deilephila elpenor) (larva) - garden on 29th July, 2021
Saturday, 31st July

This was a remarkable day, not just because No.2 had shed a skin and turned brown, and No.3 had also shed a skin and gained 'eye-spots' (but was still green), but because we found two more Elephant Hawk-moth larvae. One (No.4) was a tiny early instar, but the other (yes, No.5!) was a late instar individual in brown livery. No.4 was in a position that was difficult to photograph, but I did get a shot of No.5.

Elephant Hawk-moth No.2 (Deilephila elpenor) (larva) - garden on 29th July, 2021

Elephant Hawk-moth No.3 (Deilephila elpenor) (larva) - garden on 29th July, 2021

Elephant Hawk-moth No.5 (Deilephila elpenor) (larva) - garden on 29th July, 2021
Later that day, I saw a Blackbird struggling with what was apparently a large brown hawk-moth caterpillar. I tried to intervene and the Blackbird managed to fly away with it. Only one brown late instar Elephant Hawk-moth caterpillar was seen after that so I do not know if we lost No.2 or No.5. Also, at about that time, No.4 disappeared, never to be seen again.

Monday, 1st August

No.3 had stopped feeding for a while and was resting head-down on a stem. My suspicions were confirmed when I found it later having just shed its skin. If you look back at the image of No.3 from the previous day, you can see that it hadn't moved! I believe that it was now in its 3rd instar.

Elephant Hawk-moth No.3 (Deilephila elpenor) (larva) - garden on 1st August, 2021
This was also the last day that I photographed No.1, but the next day it had gone - hopefully somewhere to safely pupate. This species usually pupates in leaf litter on, or just under, the ground.
 
Elephant Hawk-moth No.1 (Deilephila elpenor) (larva) - garden on 1st August, 2021
Tuesday 9th August

By now No.2/5 had also disappeared, leaving us with just No.3. No.3 had been head-down on a stem for a while, so I took another photo. This was taken at 10.48:-

Elephant Hawk-moth No.3 (Deilephila elpenor) (larva) - garden on 9th August, 2021 @ 10.48
And this was taken at 16.04. It was now in its 4th instar - note the shed skin and the change of colour and markings.
 
Elephant Hawk-moth No.3 (Deilephila elpenor) (larva) - garden on 9th August, 2021 @ 16.04
Wednesday, 10th August

Next day I went out to see what the situation was with No.3. At 14.30 it had just descended the stem a little and was very dark in colour.

Elephant Hawk-moth No.3 (Deilephila elpenor) (larva) - garden on 10th August, 2021 @ 14.30

After this, No.3 continued through to full maturity before wandering off. I am hoping that next year I might see these Elephants in their full moth finery. They really are a fabulous moth. Here's one that I photographed earlier in our garden.

Elephant Hawk-moth (Deilephila elpenor) (adult) - garden on 19th June, 2020

Footnote:-

I did consider trying to raise one or two of these in captivity. Keeping them supplied with a suitable food supply was not an issue. However, my concern was how to provide them with a suitable place to pupate in, given that they like to wander and find a place under leaf litter. If anyone has experience in this area, I'd be delighted for any advice you can offer. Maybe then, if I get the opportunity in the future, I'll give it a try.

I hope that you have enjoyed this blog post. I'm fully expecting my next blog post to be a July catch-up which will probably be somewaht shorter than my recent June catch-up.

Until the next time, take good care of yourself, and Nature!  

 

21 comments:

  1. Hi Richard! They are awesome! We haven’t seen big butterfly larvae yet this year. I hope to see them again. One caterpillar, Cossus cossus, the goat moth, appeared in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Goat Moth is a monsterous caterpillar, Anne. I have only seen pictures of them, but would love to see one in its natural habitat. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. A spectacular larva, to become a spectacular moth, and all happening in your garden. I'm verging on becoming angry with jealousy here Richard.

    Take Care. Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Pete! However, you have plenty up there to make me envious too, probably even more, so I don't feel too guilty! Best wishes, stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Fantastic Elephant Hawk-moths are beautiful that you photographed Richard, the way are adult from larva. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. They are spectacular beasts, and it was a privilege to be able to observe them grow. Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. That's an impressive larvae and great to have in the garden. Lovely images too Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really pleased to get one of the green ones, Marc, and fortunate that they were somewhere which they could not escape from easily so I could observe them over a period of time without getting on my hands and knees!

      Delete
  5. Some of these caterpillars have real personality don't they, Richard? This is a fabulous post and I think I know how happy it made you to be able to follow the larvae in this way. The adult moth is a spectacular creature. Best wishes to you and Lindsay. David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have personalities, David, although some people will think us more than a little eccentric for saying so! I find them fascinating to observe and, depending on what I happen upon next year, might expand my efforts in this direction.

      My best wishes to you both. Have a great time over there and take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hello Richard
    It is always fascinating what nature has in store for "magic tricks", very nicely documented, I really liked it
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frank - I'm glad you liked it. I'll try and do a few more blog posts like this over the coming months, but it all depends on whether I have any detailed observations! Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Wonderful and very informative Richard. I can never find that sort of creature. Stay safe.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably helps that my garden has been a bit of a jungle for the past couple of years, Mike. It has been full of wild-flowers and insects. However, I'm now realising that I have to take control of it a bit more. The trick is to try and do this without losing the wildlife! Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Elegant Elephants!

    If Lindsay can't have herbs, these are a pretty good consolation prize. And they grow into a gorgeous moth as a bonus!

    So, upon seeing the title to your blog, I'm listening to "Baby Elephant Walk" from the old movie "Hatari". A perfect accompaniment!

    Gini and are off this weekend to house-sit for our daughter. Two dogs are involved. Wish us luck.

    All the best to you and Lindsay, the "cat" gardener!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to remember "Baby Elephant Walk" from my younger days, Wally - a stumbling instrumental? I shall look it up after I have sent you this reply.

      I wish you both all the best for your house-sitting. Does it involve taking the dogs for walks? Lindsay has a dog phobia, for no real reason, and gets quite upset with people who say "he/she won't hurt you". Many's the time I have had to insert myself between her and a dog!

      Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. Yes, that's the tune I thought it was!

      Delete
  9. What a great post and delightful that you have managed to get so many of the stages. Very interesting.
    We have just returned from a 4 day visit to La Rochelle. Lots of photos, but I need the time to go through them and ID the various birds some of which are not normally local it seems, very hard to work out what they are or where they may be from! I will return to blogging eventually but time is not on my side.
    Keep safe and best wishes to you and the family. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane. I'm looking forward to a blog post from you featuring that stay in La Rochelle - especially if you saw some birds that you are not familiar with. There's some pretty interesting stuff on migration now!.

      Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. Saw masses of birds there but I am having trouble with IDs as many of the birds in Les Oiseaux
      du Marais Poitevin are ringed and not local. I only have European and South African bird books! Also time is not on my side. So many quinces this year and apples to preserve and next will be the two fig trees. I feel like I am living in the kitchen! Cheers Diane

      Delete
    3. Don't be embarassed at not being able to ID the birds, Diane. I'm constantly having to seek help with IDs. I envy your quinces and apples (not a fan of figs) but not the work in preserving them. My own preserving efforts don't beyond making a year's supply of mint sauce each summer! We have little produce in our garden other than herbs and chillies.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.