Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Tuesday 12 April 2022

Scilly Sojourn, March 2022 Pt.1 - 6th to 10th March

This return visit to the Isles of Scilly for Lindsay and I, plus our daughter, Melanie, and granddaughter, Georgie, had been eagerly anticipated as a relief from the confinements of a cautious attitude to the Covid pandemic. None of us had the intention to throw caution to the wind, but we did feel the time had come to try and recapture some elements of a 'normal life'.

Sunday, 6th March                Ashby de la Zouch to Hayle, Cornwall

Lindsay and I set off from home in  Ashby de la Zouch at 09.40. The weather was as forecast - cloudy with sunny intervals and a breeze giving a chill factor to the nominal 6°c temperature. Traffic conditions were good for the whole journey and after a few comfort stops and a break for a picnic lunch in a car park we arrived at the Premier Inn, Hayle, at 15h15. Our daughter Melanie, and granddaughter Georgie had a late start, not leaving their Leicester home until 14.00.
 
With time on our hands until the girls arrived, Lindsay and I set off to visit the pool at Hayle, known as Copperhouse Pool. 
 
We attempted to fill the car with diesel just before reaching the pool and had a sense of deja vu when we were told that there was no fuel to be had in the area as everybody had been filling their vehicles because fuel prices were about to increase dramatically. We'd been met with similar news when we arrived at Hayle in September, but it was a supply, rather than demand, problem on that occasion. We resigned ourself to hoping the situation wss resolved by the time of our return.
 
The north side of the pool has a very pleasant walk along it. However, Lindsay, who is troubled by a damaged knee, could only manage a short distance before having to resort to the comfort of a bench with a view, leaving me to continue to the far end and back on my own. This gave me the opportunity to photograph a few birds on the pool although they were mainly rather distant due to the tide being out.
 
view over Copperhouse Pool
On the far side of the pool, a Little Egret was near the bank
 
Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) - Copperhouse Pool, Hayle
Much nearer were a couple of Shelduck and a few Teal. Unfortunately, conditions were such that neither were seen in the best light.
 
Shelduck (Tadorna tadorna) (female) - Copperhouse Pool, Hayle
Teal (Anas crecca) (female) - Copperhouse Pool, Hayle
Teal (Anas crecca) (male) - Copperhouse Pool, Hayle
In the middle of the pool, there was a small group of godwits and Redshanks. I have spent some time trying to positively ID the godwits and have come to the conclusion that they were Bar-tailed Godwits. This is mainly based on being just about able to spot indistinct barring on the tail and curvature on the bill, the extensive supercilium, and their association with Redshank which is, apparently, what Bar-tailed Godwits do. Please let me know if you think that I am mistaken.
 
Bar-tailed Godwit (Limosa lapponica) - Copperhouse Pool, Hayle
Redshank (Tringa totanus) - Copperhouse Pool
After our walk, we called in at the Eastern Empire Chinese restaurant and bought a takeaway of crispy squid, followed by crispy shredded beef in chilli sauce with noodles to eat back in the hotel. While Lindsay was in the restaurant, which was on the south Side of Copperhouse Pool, I waited in their car park which was adjacent to the pool. Little was seen, but I did manage a shot of an Oystercatcher.
 
Oystercatcher (Haematopus ostralegus) - Copperhouse Pool, Hayle
We ate our meal in our hotel room and it was delicious! Melanie and Georgie made good time and arrived at 19.15. 
 
Lindsay and I turned in at 21.00 as we had an early start the next day, with the alarm set for 04.45.
 
Monday, 7th March          Hayle ; Land's End Airport ; St Marys, Isles of Scilly

I woke at 04.43, 2 minutes before the alarm was due to go off, and we started to make preparations for our departure.

We checked out of the hotel at 06.30 and were at Lands End airport in good time for a 07.15 check in. Our Twin Otter G-CEWM, built in 1979, departed on time at 08.15 for the 15 minute, rather bumpy, flight to St Mary's on the Isles of Scilly. Paulger's Transport got us to our accommodation by 09.00 where we were expecting to have to leave our luggage in the car port as check in time was 15.00. We were, therefore, delighted to find a note on the door saying that we had immediate entry.
 
To give you some idea of location that we are in love with, the property that we stay at can be seen pretty-much precisely in the centre of the header image while this blog post is current.

We were on a self-catering stay, and our luck continued when I called the Coop at 10.00 to see if we could bring our click and collect order forward from the 14.00 to 16.00 slot, and was told that it was being picked now and would be ready in 10 minutes.

The next task was for me to pick up the buggy that we'd hired for the week from Scilly Carts. We were now all set up for our stay.

Our luck with the weather was, however a little less fortuitous. It was rather windy (28 to 34 mph) with a temperature of 7°c with a wind chill factor taking it down to 2°c.

Feeling rather tired after the long drive and early start, and in consideration of the weather, I had a very gentle day, just taking a stroll along Porthcressa beach front and in the afternoon taking Lindsay for a drive around the island in the buggy. Few birds were photographed.
 
The property we stay at is at the Littleporth end of Porthcressa and backs onto the beach. On the beach at the bottom of the garden, Rock Pipit is pretty-much a given. The amount of  wrack present at this time was something that I'd not witnessed here before. This was very attractive to gulls and shore birds.

Rock Pipit (Anthus petrosus) - Littleporth
Oystercatcher are also regular visitors on Littleporth beach.
 
Oystercatcher (Haematopus ostralegus) - Littleporth
Not quite so reliable are Black Redstart, but it was good to find two present at this time.
 

Black Redstart (Phoenicurus ochruros) - Littleporth
Herring Gulls seemed particularly attracted to the wrack line. However, I chose to take a shot of this one in flight.
 
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) - Littleporth
In the past, I have found the rocks at the extreme western end of Littleporth beach to be a quite reliable place for Wren, and so it was during this stay.
 
Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes) - Littleporth
Some of my readers who have been with me for a while may remember previous mentions of the 'Porthcressa Three'. These are three ducks of Mallard extraction (at some stage) which are relatively domesticated, and spend much of their time on the sea at Porthcressa. They have been around for several years and readily come to tasty offerings from the local youngsters. Last year, they successfully raised a family between the three of them. I was delighted to see that the 'Three' were still there, but seemed to have gained a 'friend' - again of vaguely Mallard extraction, but quite pretty. As I approached them, they ran towards me expectantly - I felt quite guilty as I had nothing to offer!

The Porthcressa Three - Porthcressa!
The Three's new friend - Porthcressa
We spent most of the evening relaxing and I wrote up my notes before we all turned in for the night at 21.30!
 
Tuesday, 8th March          Porthcressa ; Lower Moors ; Newford Ponds ; Hugh Town

We woke to strong winds (37 to 47 mph) and a temperature of 9°c which felt like 4° with wind chill factored in.

An after breakfast visit to the sea front at the bottom of the garden revealed a mass of gulls and other shore birds in a feeding frenzy at the water's edge. As I was getting too much sea spray on my camera, I didn't stay there for long.
 


gulls - Littleporth
Turnstone (Arenaria interpres) - Littleporth
At 09.45, I set off for Lower Moors, choosing this inland site in the hope that it would be more sheltered from the wind. A heavy shower of rain caught me out just before I arrived. There was little to see other than a Greenshank and a few Mallards, with a few Herring Gull coming in from time to time for a fresh water wash - something that I have observed here before in stormy conditions. The Greenshank also fancied a bath - I rather like this next sequence.






Greenshank (Tringa nebularia) - Lower Moors
The gull taking off towards me in this next shot reminds me of images from my childhood days of huge flyingboats tasking to the air.
 
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) - Lower Moors
As the weather seemed to be taking a turn for the worse, I set off back to base, getting soaked in the process.

The girls went out to do some shopping for goodies, and I  made another visit visit to Porthcressa beach at 11.30. The weather had improved, and was brighter, with less wind. The (20 to 30, I  didn't  count them) Turnstones on the beach were very confiding.
 

Turnstone (Arenaria interpres) - Porthcressa
There were also two Pied Wagtail, and they were anything but confiding.
 
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii) - Littleporth
I then returned for lunch at mid day.

After lunch, the girls wanted to go to a beach that they refer to as Treasure Beach to collect sea glass for a craft project. I drove them out there, leaving them with the buggy while I returned to Lower Moors. There was even less of interest there than earlier in the day.
 

Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) (male) - Lower Moors

Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) - Lower Moors
On receiving a message from the girls that they were leaving the beach, I joined them and drove them on a circular tour of the island. At Newford Ponds we found a novel sort off road block - about twenty Mallard derivitives asleep in the middle of the road, and they were none too keen to move!
 
Road block, Isles of Scilly style - Newford Ponds
While trying to shift the ducks, I noticed a nearby Moorhen in the adjacent field. I just love the feet of of Moorhens!
 
Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) - Newford Ponds
Having returned to base and enjoyed a coffee, I set off for Hugh Town Quay, bumping into Ren Hathway, who I didn't recognise at first in his full Post Office uniform, on the way. A couple of Shags were relatively close in to the quay and fishing. These next two images show the diving style of a Shag. It was now pleasantly warm (11°c) and less windy (17 to 23 mph).
 

Shag (Phalacrocorax aristotelis) - Hugh Town Harbour
I then walked round the shore, stepping over the mooring cables, to Town Beach, photographing a couple of Herring Gulls in the bay.

Lack of interesting photographic subjects was getting to be a little frustrating, and I found myself photographing another Herring Gull as I passed along Porthcressas beach before arriving back at base. The images from these last two locations were not worth keeping.

It was dark by the time we finished our evening meal, and we had another relatively early night after a relaxing evening. 
 
Wednesday, 9th March                  Porthcressa ; Lower Moors ; Higher Moors
 
We woke up to strong winds, gusting up to 60 mph, and rain, with both forecast to get worse during the day, making the day a total washout.
 
I braved a walk along Porthcressa sea front at around 10.00 and found my self walking like a drunk with the wind gusts and nearly blown over a couple of times, so cut across to Hugh Town harbour where it was a little less windy. I'd  not taken my camera with me, just binoculars, but saw nothing of interest.
 
Later that morning, I volunteered to do the daily cake run to Becky's Scilly Cakes. This was also a less than pleasant excursion, but totally necessary!
 
I spent some time debating whether to go out birding in the afternoon, thinking that perhaps I could take the buggy to one, or both, of the locations that have hides, and sit in the dry. However, with the wind causing the rain to be horizontal, I'd have been soaked by the time I got there, and the wind would be keeping the birds tucked down.
 
However, I went against my instincts, and took the buggy to Old Town, where I went off into Lower Moors and sat in the ISBG Hide. All I saw was a drake Mallard and, briefly, four Herring Gull,  and it was not worth breaking the camera out of the bag. For my last ten minutes there, there were absolutely no birds visible, so I decided to see if  Higher Moors had more to offer. By the time that I got back to the buggy, I  was well and truly soaked.
 
Arriving at Higher Moors, I set off on the path to Sussex Hide, soon encountering muddy water that was ankle-deep - and I was only wearing walking boots! Undeterred,  I  pressed on, arriving at the hide to find just a Mallard and Moorhen visible through the rain. I didn't stop there for long, and moved on to Seaward Hide, where only Coot and Herring Gull were added to the list and, again, the camera stayed in the bag.
 
I was now cold and wet and it was time to get back to base and have a shower and get into clean dry clothes. 
 
I arrived back to find the best bird of the day awaiting me. Melanie had, in my absence, skilfully crocheted me a bird. I shall treasure it and have named it Blue!
 
'Blue' - by Melanie Pegler
Having spent some time washing the mud from inside my walking shoes, I ended the day without having taken a single photograph! 
 
Thursday, 10th March                   Porthcressa ; Peninnis ; Lower Moors
 
There was a much better day in prospect, with a forecast for sunny intervals, temperatures around 10°c, feels like 6°, and wind speeds of around 25 to 30 mph.

After breakfast, I walked along Littleporth sea front, and was surprised to get a brief view of Grey Wagtail.
 
Grey Wagtail (Motacilla cinerea) (male) - Littleporth
Black Redstart, Greenshank, Pied Wagtail?, and several Rock Pipits were also seen, plus the resident Wren. I suspect that the wagtail might have been a White Wagtail, however.
 
Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes) - Littleporth
Black Redstart (Phoenicurus ochruros) - Littleporth
Pied Wagtail? (Motacilla alba yarrellii) - Littleporth
Greenshank (Tringa nebularia) - Littleporth
Out in the bay, a pair of Shag were resting on a rock.
 
Shag (Phalacrocorax aristotelis) -Porthcressa
The sunshine had brought out the bees. I didn't notice it at the time, but this one, on the flowers of Three-cornered Leek, seems to have a major parasite infestation.
 
Buff-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus terrestris (queen) - Littleporth
I'd  promised Georgie that if she surfaced early enough in the day, I'd take her to a shop that closed at mid day to buy her some earrings that she'd set her heart on. We made it by about 11.30!
 
After this, I set off to make a round trip to Peninnis Head. As I  passed along Porthcressa beach, I found a very small Portuguese Man O'War washed up on the sand.
 
Portuguese Man O'War (Physalia physalis) - Porthcressa
You may find the following, extracted from the Wildlife Trust's web site, to be of interest.
 
The Portuguese Man O'War is not a jellyfish. It is a colonial hydrozoan, made up of small individual animals called zooids - each with their own specific function, e.g. feeding or breeding. They can't live separately and function together as one "animal". The Potuguese Man O'War lives at the surface of the open ocean, held afloat by a gas-filled bladder. This has a crest like structure at the top which acts as a sail. They can't swim and are at the mercy of the winds - which is why they often end up washed ashore after big storms. They are fearsome predators, catching small fish and crustaceans with their long stinging tentacles. It's these tentacles that you need to watch out for too - they can sting long after the animal has died.
 
I then headed up to Buzza Hill and along to Peninnis. Little was seen en route, or on Peninnis Head, but I could not resist taking some shots of the wonderful rock formations on the head, and the usual Stonechat were around although they kept their distance. 
 
Pulpit Rock - Peninnis
Rocks - Peninnis

Stonechat (Saxicola rubicola) (male) - Peninnis
Stonechat (Saxicola rubicola) (female) - Peninnis
I was also pleased to find a Meadow Pipit on the head.
Meadow Pipit (Anthus pratensis) - Peninnis
As I came back along Porthcressa beach, I found another Portuguese Man O' War which was even smaller than the first one.
 
Portuguese Man O'War (Physalia physalis) - Porthcressa
I arrived back at base to find that I'd  been bought a large pork and black pudding sausage roll, and a slice of rich fruit cake, which I had for a rather late lunch. I also found that Lindsay had bought me a beany hat with Puffins and 'Isles of Scilly' embroidered on the front.
 
Later in the afternoon I took the girls off to Old Town so that they could collect sea glass on the beach, and I set off once more to Lower Moors. The wind had increased a little and there was a chill in the air. This time I was lucky and found the Jack Snipe that I'd  been looking for. I would never have spotted it behind the reeds if it wasn't for its continual bobbing motion and I didn't get a clear shot, but it was a delight to watch.
 
Jack Snipe (Lymnocryptes minimus) - Lower Moors
I had a call from the girls to say that they were ready to be picked up, and this, fortunately coincided with the Jack Snipe disappearing.
 
 
 
I'll save the notes on the rest of our stay for a subsequent blog post. In the meantime, take good care of yourself, and Nature. Thank you for dropping by - - - - Richard

FOR SOME REASON, BLOGGER IS REFUSING TO LET ME RESPOND TO COMMENTS. If it is also preventing you leaving comments, please drop me an email - richard@peglermail.co.uk - thank you.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Richard! Awesome nature sightings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. This is a great place to visit. Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Fantástico reportaje, he disfrutado mucho con todas las fotos y en especial con las del Tringa nebularia, son extraordinarias. Enhorabuena Richard, un fuerte abrazo desde el norte de España. Todo lo mejor!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias, Germán! Me complació mucho recibir la secuencia de tomas de Tringa nebularia y estoy encantado de saber que ustedes también las disfrutaron.

      Mis mejores deseos - mantente a salvo - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. A great start to your vacation, Richard. It must be a little off-putting, however, when you can't get fuel. Maybe it's prudent to carry a jerry can of diesel in the trunk. Once again I am impressed with just how handsome a Shelduck is, and I am a tad envious of the godwits. Once in a while we see a Hudsonian Godwit here and even more rarely a Marbled Godwit, but you can go for years and never see a one. No doubt you were happy to see the Porthcressa Three there to greet you, although they may have been swearing under their breath when you had no treats for them. The shot of all the gulls is spectacular. Masochist that I am I could spend a couple of happy hours pouring through the flock for the chance of a rarity. I will look forward to the next installment. Best wishes to you and Lindsay. David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A tank full of diesel will usually last us for approximately 900km, David, and we tend to top up when we get to around two thirds full. As our long-distnce journeys are infrequent it's not usually of any concern. It's just that we hit bad luck on two occasions.

      I admit to the fact that I was thinking of you when I posted those shots of the multitudinous gulls, as indeed I was when I took those shots, knowing that you'd be in your element if you had been there!



      My best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Fantastic birds on down old Scilly Isles, I love the Shelduck, Turnstone, Little Egret and the Jack Snipe. And all the others are precious Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. We didn't have the best of weather, and interesting birds were in relatively short supply, but we still had a great time.

      My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. We're very happy you were able to make this trip, Richard. Sometimes, a change in venue helps our mental well-being more than anything else could. Not to mention, in a totally selfish vein, we really look forward to your vacation reports!

    All of your photographs are special individually and when considered in total provide us with a sense of your vacation experience. We almost hear the gulls and smell the salt air.

    I usually don't select a favorite image as, for me, they are all spectacular. Today, I must make an exception and admit to pangs of jealousy at your sighting of the incredibly beautiful and rare "Crocheted Blue" (Ceraunus melaniea). Nicely done!

    Honorable mention goes to the sequence of the bathing Greenshank.

    Our holiday weekend will find us enjoying the company of our daughter and her husband, a table filled with too much food and conversations typical of close-knit families.

    Gini and I wish you and Lindsay all the best. We hope her knee behaves and we look forward to more Scilly enjoyment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Wally. I shall have to be careful that you don't cause me to have to go out and buy a larger hat!

      The real beauty of the Crocheted Blue is that I could bring it home and sit it on the shelf by my desk and keep it as a constant companion.

      I hope that your holiday weekend is going well. Our plans were upset when Melanie phoned on Saturday to say that they were not coming over as she felt very unwell with Covid-like symptoms although she tested negative. Fortunately, she is feeling rather better today.

      With my very best wishes to you and the family - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hello Richard, I can understand that vissiting this bird peredise is one of those things that you do every year. Such a viriaty of birds is amazing!. But I was surprised to see that the Portuguese Man O'War is to be found there as well. A facinating combination of creatures that always interested me. Better not get in contact with the tenticals. Must be verry painful I understand. The photos are most wonderful. The rock formations make your fantasy run wild.
    Great post.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Roos. The Isles of Scilly, have a reputation of being one of the best two places in UK to see birds, the other being the Shetland Isles. The marine life round the Isles of Scilly also very rich and varied too. As well as Portuguese Man O'War, they also get By-the-Wind Sailors, although I have never seen one there. There are wonderful rock formations in many places on the islands, and many of them have been given appropriate names.

      Thank you for your much-appreciated kind words. My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. I am sure that I commented on this blog before as I remember thinking how cute the Crochet 'Blue' bird was and what a fabulous job Melanie had done.

    Just discovered this as I was heading for bed. I hope that all is well and best wishes to you both. Belated Happy Eater. Bonne nuit Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane. I'd not seen any sign of a comment from you before this one - it will remain a mystery!

      Melanie is extremely accomplished at crochet, and so quick too!

      We're doing OK here, thank you, although Lindsay's knee is increasingly giving problems.

      My very best wishes to you and Nigel - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Hello Richard
    Unfortunately we can't influence the weather yet, but I think we outdoor people are quite used to it and so we don't let the wind and water spoil our desire and joy, as you can see it's worth going out even in bad weather
    Beautiful area and great photos
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that I'd want to control the weather, even if I could, Frank, but if I did, I would probably want the nights to be wet and cloudy, and the days to be dry and have a mixture of sunshine and light cloud. My only problem with going out in wet weather is that the camera has to stay at home.

      Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.