Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Wednesday 27 April 2022

Garden Observations in March, 2022

March was an interesting month in the garden, with several winter visitors still around and a few spring arrivals showing up too. However, the weather was not too good for much of the time and photographic opportunities were a little thin on the ground.

Here are some of the highlights during the month.

Tuesday, 1st March

Although I recorded male Brambling and Blackcap, plus a Pied Wagtail on this day, the only photographs I managed were of a Wren in very poor light. We are sure that Wren visits regularly, but is not often seen! Lindsay reckons he lives behind the garage.

Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes) - garden
Friday, 4th March

We were visited by two male Brambling on this day, and male and female Blackcap, but the photos were not up to much and I took better later in the month. Reed Bunting was a very welcome visitor, rarely seen in our garden in recent years. It's a poor photo, but included 'for the record'.

Reed Bunting (Emberiza schoeniclus) (male) - garden
Sunday, 6th March

In the morning, before departing for Cornwall on our way to the Isles of Scilly, we were visited by a female Siskin. I did take a few photos which did not come to much, but I did a little better when one visited later in the month, so I'll show a photo later in this post.

Some of the morning was spent organising feeders so that the birds had enough food to last them for the nine days that we were away - not an easy task as I am usually having to top up feeders two or three times a day when we are at home!

Tuesday, 15th March

All worries that we might have lost the garden birds while we were away were allayed by visits from two male Blackcap and four(!) Brambling (1 male, 3 female). I only managed a photo of one of the female Bramblings, and that was not much better than a record shot.

Brambling (Fringilla montifringilla) (female) - garden
Friday, 18th March

As well as two male and a female Brambling, we had three Siskin (1 male, 2 female) visit us this day.

Siskin (Carduelis spinus) (male) - garden
Sunday, 20th March

We had a pair of Brambling and a male Blackcap, and also a surprising five Siskin (3 male, 2 female) visit us this day - possibly a garden record.

Siskin (Carduelis spinus) (female) - garden
I also managed a distant shot of a Long-tailed Tit, on our back fence. It seemed to be shouting at something.
 
Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus) - garden
Monday, 21st March

The day's tally included 3 Blackcap, 4 Brambling, and 4 Siskin. Here are a few of them.

Blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla) (female) - garden
Blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla) (male) - garden

Brambling (Fringilla montifringilla) (male) - garden

Wednesday, 23rd March

This was, without a shadow of doubt, the most remarkable day of the month in the garden. As well as two Brambling and three Siskin, we had FIVE BLACKCAP!!! Until this year, I believe I had only ever seen single Blackcaps anywhere. Seeing three in our garden earlier in the month was special, to say ther least. To have five (2 male, 3 female) all at one time was bog mindeling!

Here are a few photos from that day.

Siskin (Carduelis spinus) (female) - garden
Brambling (Fringilla montifringilla) (male) - garden
Brambling (Fringilla montifringilla) (female) - garden
Blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla) (male) - garden
Saturday, 26th March

Wren put in one of its rare appearances this day. It seemed to be trying to make itself look bigger!

Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes) - garden
Sunday, 27th March

The week ended with the welcome appearance of a Lesser Redpoll. Until a few years back, Lesser Redpoll was a regular visitor to the garden in March, often two or three at a time. In recent years, however, sightings in the garden have been rare. 

Lesser Redpoll (Acanthis cabaret) - garden

Tuesday, 29th March

We frequently get visits from Bullfinch, but usually only one or two. This day was a bit special in that we had two pairs with us at one point during the day. Unfortunately, I was not able to capture the event on camera, and only ended up with some poor shots of one of the males. Here's the best of a bad bunch.

Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula) (male) - garden
A pair of Stock Dove have been regular visitors for many months now, and it's a while since I posted an image of one, so here's one.

Stock Dove (Columba oenas) - garden
 

This brings me to the end of my report on garden highlights for March. I suspect that my next blog post might bring matters a little more up-to-date with a summary of my April observations. In the meantime, take good care of yourselves and nature. Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard

20 comments:

  1. Hi Richard! You have incredibly cool birds in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The temperatures here are plummeting, Anne, so they will be even cooler!

      Delete
  2. Good morning, Richard: With this kind of success we will be starting to think that you have invented bird pheromones or some equivalent, luring the birds into the garden. I will resist the temptation to publish your address on the internet, inviting everyone to flock to your backyard to witness these spectacles! If that were to happen you'd probably feel obliged to provide tea and cookies too! The Blackcaps are especially pleasing birds to my eye and I can well imagine the joy it brings to have them so regularly, and in such numbers. Whatever you are doing, keep on doing it! Best wishes to you and Lindsay. David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, David, I'm finding myself thinking about having to scale back our garden bird-feeding activities. We're currently getting through approximately 30 kg of sunflower hearts per month, as well as smaller quantities of peanuts and Black Soldier Fly larvae. As most of UK's sunflower products come from Ukraine, supply is going downhill rapidly and prices are rocketing.

      Delete
    2. A side-effect of the war few probably even think about, Richard. Bird feeding is not an inexpensive pastime! The sabre-rattling from That Russian madman is getting ever more ominous.

      Delete
    3. My (I admit, selfish) fear is that the madman might think that the UK is an obvious country to make an example of.

      Delete
  3. Yet another variety of birds in your garden, with only the Wren and Long-tailed Tits ever to be seen in ours, and the rest being between occasionally and never never will be.

    Kind Regards to yourself and Lindsey....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We might have garden birds that you do not get, Pete, but I'd happily swap a few for some of your local birds!

      Best wishes to you and KT - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Your garden continues to deliver some quality birds and in turn, some quality photos. You won't even need to go out soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc. It's not the need to go out that gives me concern, but the continued ability TO go out. The biggest wildlife loss to me, should I become house-bound, would be the dragon-hunting aspect. Hopefully, I'll be OK for a few years to come!

      Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Hello Richard
    Feeding in the garden attracts some beautiful birds, I like the wren best but all the others are beautifully photographed too
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frank. I probably spend far too much time watching the birds in our garden, instead of getting out into the countryside. I also probably spend too much money feeding the birds. I think I spend more money on bird food than I spend on food for myself!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. What a garden you must have Richard with the variety of birds you get. I get excited if a blackbird or robin pays me a visit. Keep posting them even if its only for my sake. Take care,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will happily continue to post images from my garden, Mike, if it gives you pleasure! Thank you for your encouragement. Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Based upon all of this photographic evidence, perhaps you should take a vacation more often! Maybe they were simply overjoyed at your return?

    All of your photographs (even those "for the record") are wonderful. I would love to see all of these species in person and would be over the moon to actually obtain images of them!

    I empathize with the task of keeping your visitors fed. Availability and cost aren't fully appreciated by those who have not tried to maintain feeding stations.

    Once again, medical appointments are interfering with exploring. I try to console myself with the fact that it makes those days we can get out that much more special.

    Gini and I hope you and Lindsay are having a relaxing weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem with taking vacations, Wally, is that I end up with too many photographs to process, and everything stacks up behind me.

      Aside from the cost of feeding birds, the time spent is not inconsiderable either. I suspect that feeding birds and hedgehogs, on average, probably takes something like an hour daily. It's not just the topping up of food and water, but keeping everything clean and safe for them.

      I'm hoping that the frequency of my medical visits will now diminish significantly. However, I'm still waiting for two 'results' one of which is the analysis of the lump that was removed from my nose a month ago!

      So far, this weekend has been a physically busy one with painting a fence, transplanting a couple of shrubs, and doing a bit of weeding. I'm intending to have a relaxing day tomorrow. I hope that you and Gini are being more successful in your relaxation!

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Absolutely stunning the common garden birds, Richard, you're our man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. I'm not sure I deserve such kind words! Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hello Richard, amazing the amount of different birds you get in your garden. Just fantastic. I would sit the whole day in a hide to watch them and take photos of them. But I understand it takes a lot of effort with feeding them to be able to see them. Thank you for that.
    Warm regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my garden photos of birds are taken through the glass windows of my study or conservatory, Roos. It is only the insects and other wildlife that I wander into the garden to photograph. Sometimes I feel tempted to set up my portable hide in my garden to get closer to the action if a different bird is visiting on a regular basis, but I've not done that for a year or two.

      I hope that all is well with you. Take good care and stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.