Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Monday 14 November 2022

Out At Last! - on 4th November, 2022

Having not been out with my camera since returning from the Isles of Scilly on 3rd October, I resolved to put things right. The weather forecast this day was for sunny periods in the afternoon. I had some chores to perform in the morning, but just to check that the camera was still working, I took a shot of a Goldfinch outside my study window - it was a poor shot, but not a total failure.

Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis) - garden on 4th November, 2022

After an early lunch, I set off for Kelham Bridge - a local reserve, managed by the Leicestershire and Rutland Wildlife Trust. I arrived to find numerous cars on site, making it obvious that the Wildlife Trust were busy here, although it was not immediately obvious where. The situation became rather more apparent, however, as I got nearer to the first hide. There was a sizeable team of volunteers strimming and clearing the land round the first pool - no point in lingering there!

As I neared the first hide, I was surprised to see a Common Darter dragonfly briefly alight on a branch beside me and disappear before I could raise my camera. I was not expecting to see dragonflies this late in the year.

At the hide, I found three other people present. They informed me that they'd been seeing almost nothing for a couple of hours or more and, indeed, they gave up and departed around half an hour after my arrival. By this time, I had just seen a Moorhen and attempted to photograph a very distant Little Grebe, the results from which I will not bother you with here!

After about another half hour I was joined by a gentleman, and soon after his arrival I was photographing a rather pale Moorhen and thinking its colours, if it was lurking in the growth at the edge of the pool and only partly visible, might easily be mistaken for a Water Rail.

Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) - Kelham Bridge NR

The Moorhen had dipped back into the growth at the side of the pool and a few minutes later I noticed movement about half a metre nearer than where it had entered, and briefly saw what I was relatively convinced WAS a Water Rail. There was, however, that small nagging element of doubt. 

After what seemed like an eternity, but was probably only about quarter of an hour, the Water Rail popped its head out enough for a few shots before dipping back in again.



Water Rail (Rallus aquaticus) - Kelham Bridge NR
Sadly, although I'd alerted my companion to its showing, he was at the wrong angle to see it. He moved into a more favourable position and we waited for quite some time before it shot out of the undergrowth, in flight, and disappeared into the vegetation on the far side of the pool. I'm relatively sure that I have not seen a Water Rail in flight before - but then I would probably not be sure I'd seen one if it shot past me at that speed!

We waited, hoping it would return, but it didn't, and my companion left after a while, commending me on my patience. In reality, patience didn't really come into it - I was just enjoying being out in the countryside, even if not much was happening.

I did take a few other shots and, with the exception of the Mallards which stayed at the far end of the pool and I didn't bother with, these next shots represent the only other species that I saw to photograph from this hide.

Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) - Kelham Bridge NR
Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) - Kelham Bridge NR
Wanting to get home before dark in order to put out the moth trap, I headed homeward at around 15.00. As I approached the first hide, it was apparent that the work round that pool had finished so I popped into the hide to have a look. There was little to be seen, but three Pheasant (one male and two females) were appearing as I arrived.


Common Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) (female) - Kelham Bridge NR
It had been a highly enjoyable trip out, even if few birds were seen, and the Water Rail (a species that I rarely see) had been a real bonus.

That night, the moth trap only presented two moths. Both were Light Brown Apple Moths - the most common by far micro-moth from our garden.

 

I have been out once, since that day, but this was not a successful excursion, so I have no idea as I write this as to what and when my next blog post will be.

In the meantime, take good care of yourselves and Nature. Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard
 

18 comments:

  1. Lovely selection of photos Richard, in particular the Water Rail shots which have come out well. Take care.

    Marc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, it's always a treat to see a Water Rail, Marc, and a bonus if I can get any sort of shot of one!

      Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Really enjoyed the Water Rail sequence- always a delight to see them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased to know you enjoyed those shots - I certainly enjoyed taking them!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. If you spent an entire month without a sortie with the camera, Richard, I would go and have your mental state examined! That's like a nun without a rosary! When you did venture forth, however, the results were terrific. The Water Rail takes top prize. Any birder knows how difficult rails are to even see, let alone photograph. Well done. Best wishes to you and Lindsay - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recently, many factors seem to be conspiring to prevent me spending time out with my camera and binoculars, David. Hopefully there are better days ahead. Water Rail days are few and far between, but there are other joys awaiting me out there, I'm sure!

      Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Four weeks is a long spell off the road Richard, and although the birds were few, I reckon you returned home feeling refreshed.

    Regards to yourself and Lindsay....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My most recent outing produced nothing better than Coot and Moorhen, Pete - I'd have done better if I'd spent the time in my conservatory! I'm hoping things will change soon.

      Best wishes to you and KT - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Great findings. There's really nothing for us to see here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. I hope you find something to keep you busy soon!

      Delete
  6. Any time spent outdoors is infinitely preferable to that spent inside!

    Very often the outing itself becomes more important than our goal of achieving a photograph. When the two can be combined, such as you have done here, the resulting feeling is that of total satisfaction.

    And what lovely photographs you provided for us all to enjoy!

    You performed what a friend of mine calls "Zen Birding". Pondering about the plumage of the Moorhen resembling that of a Water Rail and - lo and behold - a Water Rail appears! If only it could be that simple all the time!

    Gini and hope you and Lindsay are well as we head toward the end of another week. All around here is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement, Wally. I'm sure that you are stearing me in the right direction.

      "Zen Birding" is an interesting concept. Many a time I have said to Lindsay, or Lindsay has said to me, "we haven't seen an 'XYZ' in the garden for a few months" and within minutes an XYZ has turned up. It only ever happens by chance, however - a pre-meditated "what can we conjure up today" doesn't work!

      All is looking positive here, thank you, and I hope the same is true for both of you there. Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Hello Richard :=)

    Lovely captures of all the birds, but the fortuitus sighting of the Water rail was the highlight of your outing. I believe in serendipity and seeing the Water Rail was serendipitous. What beautiful photos you took and seeing as you had been indoors for so long, I can imagine the euphoria you experienced at seeing a bird which normally is well hidden.
    All the best
    Warm regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your much-appreciated kind words, Sonjia. I had another stroke of luck on Friday as I found another Water Rail in a different location - more sightings in one month than I usually get in a few years!

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Hello Richard, glad you were able to go out again. Nothing better than ejoying nature and its creatures. The WaterRail is indeed the catch of that day. It must be a sign to go out more.
    Warm regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in total agreement with you, Roos, on the matter of getting out to enjoy nature. As I mentioned to Sonjia, above, I saw another Water Rail on Friday in a different location - which I reckon proves your suggestion that it was a sign to get out more!

      My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hi Richard
    I love the Water Rail, it is another find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sighting of a Water Rail certainly gets the heart beating, Bob! My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.