Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Tuesday 18 April 2023

A Visit to Rutland Water - on 4th April, 2023

It had been a while since I last visited Rutland Water, largely because of Lindsay's post-surgery knee problems - I didn't feel comfortable leaving her alone for any great length of time. Things in that direction are beginning to get back to normal, however, and I at last felt that a longer spell out was in order. 

The weather forecast for this particular day was quite favourable and so, having packed a picnic lunch, I set off rather late in the morning for Rutland Water, taking my usual cross-country scenic route.  This route is not as happy a one as it used to be as, at one time, I had nine Little Owl nest sites along it and it was not that unusual to spot ten different owls during the two-way journey. Sadly, on this occasion, I noted that only two of those sites still looked as if they might be able to support a Little Owl, and one of those was very dubious. The main issue was one of natural tree decay, but tree removal or drastic reduction (2 cases), and building decay (2 cases) were also evident. 

At Cold Newton, a pheasant sauntered across the field beside me.

Common Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) (male) - Cold Newton
As I approached Newbold I noted a Red Kite but by the time I stopped the car and got my window down it was a bit more distant.


Red Kite (Milvus milvus) - near Newbold

I stopped for my picnic by what was my Little Owl Site No.34, and was disappointed to see further decay to the nest tree and is, therefore, the one that I labelled as 'dubious' above.

It must have been a few years since I last saw a hare, so I was delighted this day to see one streak across the field beside me.

Brown Hare (Lepus europaeus) - Newbold
While having my lunch, a message had come through about a Bearded Tit being seen from one of the hides. Arriving at Rutland Water, as I left the car park, I noticed a thrush in the paddock beside the car park. At first, I assumed that it was a Song Thrush, but it turned out to be a Mistle Thrush.
 
Mistle Thrush (Turdus viscivorus) - Rutland Water, Egleton

I made my way directly to Shoveler hide, from which the Bearded Tit had been spotted just two hours earlier. I arrived to find seven people in the hide, none of whom were aware that this bird had been seen there earlier. Shortly after my arrival another message came through to say that the bird had been heard fying away about half an hour after it had first been spotted.
 
I settled in for a while to watch what was in front of the hide, where the water level was higher than I'd ever seen it before.
 
A Coot came drifting by. I am not sure if that is a long black tongue that it is showing, or something that it is trying to swallow. I didn't notice it at the time that I took the shot.

Coot (Fulica atra) - Rutland Water, from Shoveler Hide

A drake Pochard kept its distance.

Pochard (Aythya ferina) (male) - Rutland Water, from Shoveler Hide

A pair of Gadwall were a little more cooperative than the Pochard.

Gadwall (Mareca strepera) (male) - Rutland Water, from Shoveler Hide

Gadwall (Mareca strepera) (female) - Rutland Water, from Shoveler Hide

A Cormorant posed rather nicely on one of the small platforms.

Cormorant (Phalacrocorax carbo) - Rutland Water, from Shoveler Hide
There were many Shelduck out on the water, but only one came close, and another flew by.


Shelduck (Tadorna tadorna) (male) - Rutland Water, from Shoveler Hide
Appropriately, a drake Shoveler presented itself for a photo.

Shoveler (Spatula clypeata) (male) - Rutland Water, from Shoveler Hide
It is always a delight to see when a Cormorant (or Shag) spreads its wings, and I was pleased to catch this one.
 
Cormorant (Phalacrocorax carbo) - Rutland Water, from Shoveler Hide

A Greylag Goose presented itself too.
 
Greylag Goose (Anser anser)  - Rutland Water, from Shoveler Hide
Shortly after taking that last shot, I took a stroll down to Buzzard Hide where little was visible, except at a great distance, and then moved on to Crake Hide, where I was disappointed to see the water level was so high that the usual scrape area was completely under water. I didn't stay long, as nothing was happening and so returned to Shoveler Hide.
 
Once back at Shoveler Hide I caught a second Cormorant with spread wings.

Cormorant (Phalacrocorax carbo) - Rutland Water, from Shoveler Hide

Somebody in the hide alerted the rest of us to an extremely distant Marsh Harrier flying across in front of us. I raised my camera, more in hope than expectation, and managed to just about get a record shot.

Marsh Harrier (Circus aeruginosus) (female) - Rutland Water, from Shoveler Hide

A gentleman arrived at the hide and, in conversation, mentioned that there were several (he thought maybe twelve) Avocet on Lagoon 4. As it was nearly six years since I last saw an Avocet, I was keen to go and try to find these, so I headed to Plover Hide, which overlooks the north-east corner of Lagoon 4.

I had forgotten how small Avocet are, and didn't find them for a few seconds after opening the hatch in the hide (it was empty when I arrived). I soon had them spotted however. I didn't count them but think that the estimate of twelve wasn't far off the mark. They kept me entertained for the next quarter of an hour or so, although they never came closer than about 50 metres.






Avocet (Recurvirostra avosetta) - Rutland Water, from Plover Hide
I was occasionally distracted from the Avocets by the activities of Black -headed Gulls.


Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) - Rutland Water, from Plover Hide
There was another distraction when I spotted a Brimstone butterfly approaching from the left of the hide. I kept my eye on it for a while, hoping it would come in front of the hide, but it kept its distance and I only got a record shot.
 
Brimstone (Gonepteryx rhamni) (male) - Rutland Water, from Plover Hide

Here's one last shot of an Avocet, with a Great Crested Grebe for size comparison.
 
Avocet (Recurvirostra avosetta) - Rutland Water, from Plover Hide
I was not able to stop late as our daughter and granddaughter were coming for tea, and it is an hour and a half, or more, from Rutland Water to home, so I set off back towards my car.

On the way back, I called in at Osprey Hide and got a departing shot of a drake Teal. I have never before noticed that the 'teal green' on the head can dramatically change colour in some light conditions.

Teal (Anas crecca) (male) - Rutland Water, from Osprey Hide
As I left the hide and walked down the tree-lined track, I noted a small bird flitting about up in the branches to my right. It shot across the track and onto a tree trunk on my left, and I saw it was a Treecreeper. It was on a dark trunk, and I was facing strait into the sun. I'd got totally wrong settings and the only shot that I managed to salvage was this one, which doesn't show the salient features of the species - except for its relatively cryptic plumage!
 
Treecreeper (certhia familiaris) - Rutland Water, from near Osprey Hide

I also called in at Redshank Hide where a pair of Greylag Geese were fairly close by. I have absolutely no idea why it crossed my mind to make goose-like noises, but I was amazed that one of the geese responded and, for a little while, we enjoyed an intimate conversation! Here's a shot of that goose, responding.

Greylag Goose (Anser anser)  - Rutland Water, from Redshank Hide

My journey home resulted in an owl-free day, but I did have another sighting of a Hare at Newbold.

Brown Hare (Lepus europaeus) - Newbold

I needed top stop to answer the call of nature near Burrough on the Hill, and was more than surprised to see yet another Hare - no sightings of Hare for years and then three separate sightings in a day!

Brown Hare (Lepus europaeus) - near Burrough on the Hill

Thus ended my excitement for the this outing.

I had throughly enjoyed being at Rutland Water, but found the journey there and back to be depressing on two counts - the previously mentioned disappearance of the Little Owls, and the fact that I used to take this route every Thursday with my old pal, John Truman, who sadly died a year and a half ago.


I have a suspicion that my next blog post, which I will probably schedule for a week's time, will be rather different to any blog post I have produced before.

In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature. Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard
 

16 comments:

  1. Very sad tale you told at the start of your post about the Little Owl Richard, made all the more poignant with the passing of John Truman, albeit 18 months ago. However, it was a pleasant visit to Rutland Water for you, with pleasing results from your camera, though I note you made no mention of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm now getting fair results (in my opinion, anyway!) from the camera, Pete, so felt no need to mention this. Inspired by your own video clips, I made my first attempt at using the camera for video. I've yet to fully check out the results, but things look promising in that area!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Hello Richard
    it's not nice to hear that the little owl can't be found anymore, the pictures you always showed were a pleasure and a pleasure to look at.. it's also nice to find like-minded people in the hiding places, so it's an exchange of who has seen what always very welcome. The Avocet is the best example
    I'm looking forward to the next post...;-))
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The loss of Little Owl is quite upsetting for me, Frank, as they were, without doubt, my favourite bird species. The loss was not unexpected, however, as this area was one of the last to have such a dramatic decline in numbers. The loss of habitat and invertebrates is largely to blame, but there is some suggestion that a limited gene-pool might be a contributing factor - they were an introduced species.

      My best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Hello Richard, great post. But sad to read about the LO locations that you did not manage to find any LO. Sad also your thoughts about John your friend who past away. The sitings of the Avocet and other birds are wonderful. Love the header!
    All the best,
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roos. I think that I would visit that place more often if it didn't hold those memories. Maybe I should try a different route there?

      My best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Looks like you had a great visit to a location I remember fondly, Richard. I still wear the shirt I bought there and consult the Osprey book I acquired there too. The Avocets were certainly a bonus. Great birds! Poignant and sad though it may be, it's helpful, I think, to remember the good times with John, or Titus as I always think of him. Those experiences cannot be repeated, but the memories are important. A friend of mine died last week and I will go to his "celebration of life" on Saturday. He showed me my first Witch Hazel and I am quite sure that every time I see one I will think of Marco. He was only seventy-two, almost a youngster these days. Cancer got a hold of him and spread through his whole body in record time. I suspect that you are now becoming very familiar with your Canon equipment and using it with increased confidence and familiarity. The results seem to bear that out. With best wishes to you and Lindsay - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rutland Water is one of the best locations in this region, David, and it was my great pleasure to take you and Miriam there. I wish it were a little closer to home. I have started trying to find alternatives that entail a shorter journey.

      I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend - I hope that the good memories keep you afloat on Saturday as I know, first hand, that they can be helpful. I too lost a friend to cancer recently and went to a celebration of his life three weeks ago - I was honoured to be asked to submit some photos and say a few words. About 30 years ago he was very supportive when I set up my travel business and continued to help over the full duration of that business. I met up with him at the back end of last year (he lived about 200 km away) and he never let on that he was ill, although I could see that something was not right.

      My best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Hi Richard! Wonderful nature observations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne.It is a fine place to visit.

      Delete
  6. Seeing your post about a day at Rutland Water makes life seem almost "normal" once again. We're very happy you were able to visit and look forward to more reports, if not from there, about that "new place" closer to home which has yet to be discovered. Searching is sometimes a reward in itself.

    Even a glimpse of a Red Kite would make my day complete! When you sprinkle in all the other goodies, from hares to butterflies to a diverse collection of birds - well, that counts as a good day in my book!

    But wait, there's more! For dessert, you provide a topping of beautiful Avocets! Now that is a photographer's banquet for sure. (Coincidentally, our next post will have a few images of their American cousins.)

    We're excited about getting out more and it looks like the weather may even cooperate.

    The weekend approacheth and Gini and I hope you and Lindsay are able to relax and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was a bit of a 'milestone' day, Wally, and much enjoyed. The Avocets were the main highlight for me. I look forward to being introduced by you to their relatives from the other side of the pond.

      We too are starting to experience a much-needed upturn in the weather. It seems that it's going to be drier for a while, although the temperatures are not looking that encouraging.

      Best wishes to you and Gini - I hope that you are enjoying your weekend - stay safe - - - -Richard

      Delete
  7. Hi Richard, beautiful serie photos of your visit. Have a nice sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caroline. I hope that you have a good week ahead of you. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Fantastic Richard, the Red Kite is one my favourites, but, I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. I too am rather fond of Red Kites - such graceful fliers. Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.