Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Tuesday 25 April 2023

Tropical Birdland - on 5th April, 2023

On 4th and 5th April, we found ourselves hosting our son's two daughters, Amelia and Jessica. As a previously scheduled visit to Tropical Birdland in Desford (14 miles / 23 km from our home) had been cancelled at short notice due to one of the girls being ill, and the girls were keen to visit this place, we decided that the Wednesday would be the day to take them, even though the weather was forecast to be dull and showery. This was also to be Lindsay's first outdoor adventure of any significant duration since her knee operation.

We arrived soon after opening time to find the car park already well populated with visitors' vehicles.

It was heartening to see a Red-and-green Macaw high up in a tree beside the car park - clearly a free-flying bird. As the girls were eager to get in to the place, I didn't have time to wait for it to turn round, so only got a very colouful rear view! If my ID is correct, this is a species of forests and woodlands of northern and central South America.

Red-and-green Macaw (Ara chloropterus)

PLEASE NOTE:- I did not make any notes about the birds we saw while at Tropical Birdland, so have done my best to ID their species from my photographs. It is more than likely that I have made a mistake somewhere, and would be grateful for any corrections. I will say a few words about ID tools at the end of this blog post.

Not so heartening to see, before reaching the entrance kiosk, was an enclosure containing a pair of Snowy Owl. Knowing how this primarily Arctic species, in the wild, will cover enormous distances, seeing them confined in this way was a little upsetting.

Snowy Owl (Bubo scandiacus) (male)
Snowy Owl (Bubo scandiacus) (female)
Opposite this enclosure was another enclosure containing a pair of Great Grey Owls - another species of northern snows. However, these were both sleeping in unphotographable positions. These too, I felt decidedly uncomfortable about.

Having paid to get in and bought a tub of nuts for each of us, we entered the main area. The first bird that we encountered was an Orange-winged Amazon. This was clambering up the outside of a cage, and then entered the cage to join a congener. This is a bird from tropical South America and its habitat is forest and semi-open country.

Orange-winged Amazon (Amazona amazonica)
Also 'free-flying' nearby was a Red-shouldered Macaw. This is the smallest of the Macaws, and a native of South America.

Red-shouldered Macaw (Diopsittaca nobilis)

We next found ourselves back into an area with birds in enclosures.

The Orinoco Goose is found in every mainland South American country except Chile, French Guiana, Suriname, and Uruguay and has a 'near threatened' status.

Orinoco Goose (Neochen jubata)
The Chilean Flamingo is a species of southern and western South America and of 'near threatened' status. 

Chilean Flamingo (Phoenicopterus chilensis)
The Scarlet Ibis looked fabulous. I'm not sure what this one was trying to eat. Scarlet Ibis inhabit tropical South America and part of the Caribbean. Their status is one of 'least concern', although numbers are decreasing.

Scarlet Ibis (Eudocimus ruber)
The last species I photographed in this area was Red-breasted Goose. This attractive Eurasion species is currently classed as being of  'vulnerable' status.

Red-breasted Goose (Branta ruficollis)
Before reaching the cafe, shop, and exit, one arrives at a large open area with perches installed. Here, it is possible to get really close to many free-flying birds and even have them perch on one's hand, arm, shoulder, or head. Some of the birds seemed attracted to shiny things - like ear-rings(!) or (strangely) fur. The girls had a wonderful time here - and I was pretty impressed too! I found myself taking close-ups of some of the birds and was intrigued by the textures of the faces of some of them.

The Military Macaw is native to forests of Mexico and South America, and its status is 'vulnerable'.

Military Macaw (Ara militaris)
There were two Mealy Amazon in the area, and these tended to make a bit of a nuisance of themselves with visitors, with the member of staff overseeing the area having to rescue people from their attention from time to time. The species has been split into two - Northern Mealy Amazon (Amazona guatemalae) and Southern Mealy Amazon (Amazona farinosa) - and I am not sure which of these two these birds were.

Mealy Amazon sp. (Amazona sp.)
The Hyacinth Macaw is a splendid bird. It is native to central and eastern South America and its conservation status is 'vulnerable'.

Hyacinth Macaw (Anodorhynchus hyacinthinus)
I was surprised to see what appear to be scarlet bristles on the side of the face of a Scarlet Macaw. It is native to humid evergreen forests in Central and South America and its conservation status is of 'least concern'.

Scarlet Macaw (Ara macao)
We now move to the Australian continent and the Red-tailed Black Cockatoo, which is more common in the drier areas of Australia. Our granddaughter, Amelia, was most taken with this species, and spent quite some time taking this one for a walk, chatting to it as she did so. She named it 'Summer' and I think that she'd have taken it home given half the chance!
 
Red-tailed Black Cockatoo (Calyptorhynchus banksii)

We move over to New Guinea for the next species - Black-capped Lory. The conservation status of this small parrot is 'least concern'. In the area we were in, it seemed to stay on perches out of reach of the many humans around it.

Black-capped Lory (Lorius lory)
Back to the Americas again for the next two species.

The Black-headed Parrot (or Black-headed Caique in aviculture circles) inhabits the canopy, clearings, and edges of humid lowland tropical forests of northern South America and the status of this small parrot is one of 'least concern'.

Black-headed Parrot (Pionites melanocephalus)
The White-bellied Parrot (or Caique) is the only other species of this genus, and are found in an area mainly to the south-east of the Black-headed Parrot habitat. They also inhabit humid tropical forests.

White-bellied Parrot (Pionites leucogaster)
The girls had had a splendid time, but the rain was becoming more persistent and it was time to leave. We did, of course, exit through the gift shop, and the girls managed to find some inexpensive souvenirs.

Jessica and Amelia - Tropical Birdland
On the way out, I noticed that one of the Great Grey Owls had woken from its slumbers. The light was awful by now, however, and as the new lens on my new camera is not shower-proof, I did not spend any time trying to get a better shot than this one.
 
Great Grey Owl (Strix nebulosa)

ID Tools

As mentioned above, I did not take any notes about the birds during our visit, although there were infomative notes on the enclosures of those birds that were so confined. 

Relatively recently, I have been using the 'Obsidentify' app. on my phone for ID of many items in nature that I am not familiar with. This has, in general, been surprisingly good. However, when I came to use this app on the birds from this visit it failed miserably - unbelievably, the best it could come up with for that image of the Mealy Amazon, above, was that there was a 25% chance that it was a Common Sandpiper!!!!!! Possibly it was expecting to be ID'ing subjects from northern Europe, or even more local than that.

In a comment on the blog of my good friend, David Gascoigne, I noticed that someone was recommending the use of Google to identify where the shot of a monument was located. I tried this on some fairly obscure monuments and was amazed at how quickly it accurately identified these locations. I then tried it on some wildlife subjects and was extremely impressed.

If you use Google at all, but are not familiar with this facility, this is how it works:-

1. Go to the Google search page

2. Click on the image of a camera ('search by image') to the right of the window where you'd usually enter your search text.

3. It then comes up with options for loading an image.

4. Once you load an image I find that it is usually only a few seconds before you get your ID answer together with images and links to other instances of the item that you've searched on.

All the birds in my photos taken at Tropical Birdland were identified in this way, with the exception of the Red-tailed Black Cockatoo which I'd asked the attendant about because of Amelia's attraction to this bird. However, when I used Google, it confirmed this ID.


That brings me to the end of this blog post. I expect my next one, in about a week's time, to be back on track with UK wildlife. In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature.

 Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard

 

18 comments:

  1. Any day spent with grandchildren is a treasure. Looks like you had a splendid visit despite the weather.

    How amazing to see the diversity of our avian friends around the planet! And it remains a special treat for us to see even the "ordinary" local species.

    Thanks for sharing a great day! We hope Lindsay fared well and that you provided ample recovery procedures when you returned home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day, Wally, and I was very pleased by how well Lindsay coped with things, although she did have to leave us to it and go and sit down a couple of times. On our homecoming, little in the way of recovery support was required or accepted, which I found very encouraging.

      My very best wishes to you and Gini - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Hello Richard, a great outing with you grandchildren and great Lindsay was able to come as well. The birds are beautiful but indeed sad to see them in captivaty. The solution with reconazing the birds with Google is amazing. The photos are beautiful.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was worrying to see some of the birds in cages, Roos, but I did wonder if some of them had been 'rescued' from people that had kept them as pets and then found they they could not cope, or maybe they had died, leaving the bird without a carer.

      My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. I reckon Amelia and Jessica thoroughly enjoyed the day at Tropical Birdland, and your new gear was put to the test on colours. Good to hear Lindsey enjoyed her first outdoor adventure too.

    Regards to all....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did seem to really enjoy the visit, Pete, and I would not be surprised if we got asked to take them back there sometime! Lindsay did really well that day.

      My very best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Good morning, Richard: I have decidedly mixed feeling about facilities like this. It would certainly cause me a great deal of angst to see Snowy and Great Grey Owl confined in this way. On the other hand, if the birds instil in at least some of the people who visit, your grandchildren being the case in point here, a love of nature and a commitment to it, then it has been on balance very positive. One clearly sees the joy on Jessica and Amelia's faces as they have this intimate contact with exotic birds, and it's hard to be a total curmudgeon and deny that there is value in that. Perhaps they will be motivated to learn more about the birds they saw, with help from Grandpa no doubt, and that may be enough to trigger a lifelong love affair with nature. It's great that Lindsay was able to accompany you. How did she do? Best wishes to you both, and to Jessica and Amelia too. If they were here I would take them to the Mill Race Trail to hand feed chickadees and nuthatches. I'd love to see their faces then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully share your views on the caging of these birds, David. However, as I mentioned to Roos, above, I suspect some of them were rescued from persons who had them as 'pets' and, for whatever reason, were no longer able to care for them. They did also have a rather well set-up hatching/nursery facility there and it may be that they had a breeding programme for endangered species going on.

      I will do my best with the grandchildren, David. Not much chance of me ever bringing them to Canada but if I did, I'd take you up on that Mill Race Trail suggestion.

      My very best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Hello Richard
    the granddaughters had fun with the birds, the parrots are eye-catchers with their magnificent colours. Regarding the snowy owl in the enclosure, I might be able to explain why that is. I myself was visiting a bird park and also said that the enclosures are much too small, the ranger nearby probably heard what I said and explained; If the birds start from their branch and have a longer aviary, they may speed too fast and crash into the fence on the other side. I can understand it with falcons and sparrowhawks... animal in captivity is a sensitive subject keyword circus or zoo.... I use Google Lens... great invention, take a picture of the unknown and Goggle lens shows you immediately what you are in front of the camera.
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very valid point about the size of the cages, Frank. I just think that it is unfortunate that these birds, some of which literally fly thousands of kilometers in the wild, end up in a small cage. I am sure that all their food and health needs are well looked-after, but the environment is so unnatural to them.

      My best wishes from England, where it is again quite cool and raining.. Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Love the blip but like you I hate wild animals or birds being in an enclosed space unless they have a problem and are being cared for. I use Google from time to time but quite often I find it tells me that there is nothing like my photo!! Have you tried the Merlin app for birds on your phone? It is great for calls as well as photos.. I have discovered several bird calls in the garden that I was nor aware of before which is really interesting.

    Sorry I am not posting regularly at present the garden is very demanding despite a lot of rain.

    Have a good day and best wishes to you and all the family. Cheers Diane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will always be quesions to anwer about caged creatures, Diane, but, as David points out above, if it nurtures a fascination and love of the wild in the younger generations, that has to be a benefit.

      No, I have not tried the Merlin app, and might well do so now that you have mentioned it. I'm utterly hopeless at bird calls.

      I fully understand your being distracted by the garden. I am similarly being distracted here. The weeds are growing fast, but the soil is too wet to do any selective weeding without a great deal of effort. I'm currently trying to do a couple of hours gardening a day - much more and I start to feel the consequences!

      My very best wishes to you and Nigel - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. A lovely day you had Richard, beautiful tropical birds. There was a close up of all birds. Was they two girls relation to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob - yes, they were our granddaughters (our son's two girls). My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Hi Richard!!! Beautiful and exotic birds... I love the colors of the parrots.. Happy week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana, they are really fabulous birds aren't they! My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.