Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Tuesday 11 April 2023

Some Highlights - 27th March to 3rd April, 2023

I am now starting to get more stable results with the new camera, although there is still a lot to learn, and I am taking whatever opportunities I can to try it out in different circumstances. Here are some of what for me were the highlights from this period, which class as such either because I am pleased with the photographic results or because I managed to catch something which, for me, was special.

Monday, 27th March                    Garden ; Saltersford Valley Country Park ; Thortit Lake

The moth trap went out on the night  of Sunday, 26th March. Technically, therefore, the results found in the trap the morning of 27th are recorded as being on 26th. The moth trap only contained 9 moths of three species - 1 x Clouded Drab, 7 x Hebrew Character, 1 x Oak Beauty. I took some 'formal' photos with the Nikon D7200 + Sigma 150 macro lens and then took the Oak Beauty outside where I used the Nikon set-up and the new Canon set up to photograph the moth on a leaf. The 'macro' shots from the new set -up were superior to those with the dedicated macro lens on the Nikon, and the moth was blowing around in a stiff breeze on a very dull day!

Oak Beauty (Biston strataria) (male) - from garden moth trap on 26th March, 2023

That afternoon I made a visit to Saltersford Valley CP. Very little was seen there. However, keen to practice the close-up aspects of the camera, I took a shot of a leaf! Strange as this might seem, I find the resulting shot aesthetically pleasing.

Leaf - Saltersford Valley CP
Not wanting to come away empty handed, I ended up with yet more shots of a Coot.

Coot (Fulica atra) - Saltersford Valley CP

Having found so little at Saltersford Valley, I decided to drop in at nearby Thortit Lake on my wy home. I found even less here, and had set back towards my car when I spotted a Buzzard through the trees, which departed away from me, but towards an open area. It took me a couple of minutes to get round to the other side of the trees, by which time it was soaring a few hundred metres away. I was, therefore, quite pleased and surprised to manage this shot.

Common Buzzard (Buteo buteo) - from by Thortit Lake
Wednesday, 29th March                    Garden

We don't often get visits from Long-tailed Tit, but when we do it brightens our day as they are such charming creatures.

Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus) - garden on 29th March, 2023
Friday, 31st March                    Garden

Weather-wise, it was a dull, and often raining, day and I busied myself in my study, but did pick up the camera a few times to photograph the birds.

The most exciting visitor was a female Siskin. Siskins used to be quite common late-winter visitors to the garden, but have become rather scarce in recent years.

Siskin (Spinus spinus) (female) - garden on 31st March, 2023
We occasionally get visits by Jackdaw, but these usually arrive in one of our three mature trees and then depart again. On this occasion, one decided that it fancied our peanut offerings.

Jackdaw (Corvus monedula) - garden on 31st March, 2023
Chaffinch is one of our most common garden visitors, and so tends to be, undeservedly, overlooked. It is, nevertheless, a very attractive species in plumage and character.

Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs) (male) - garden on 31st March, 2023
I have already stated my fondness for Long-tailed Tits, and we were getting regular visits from a pair of them, and came to the conclusion that they were probably nexting nerby. However, sadly, their visits now seem to have ceased.

Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus) - garden on 31st March, 2023
Saturday, 1st April                    Garden

We are still getting fairly frequent visits from Stock Dove, maybe on 50% of days. Sometimes it's one bird and sometimes it's a pair, and on a three  occasions this year it's been three. They are extremely nervous birds and depart at speed if they detect our slightest movement inside the house. This one was outside my study window.

Stock Dove (Columba oenas) - garden on 1st April, 2023
Sunday, 2nd April                    Dishley Pool, Loughborough ; Garden

The weather this day was, for a change, quite pleasant, and I was trying to think of somewhere that I could go that was not overrun with families with young children, dog walkers, etc. For many weeks, there had been reports of a female Ring-necked Duck at Dishley Pool in Loughborough, about 15 miles (25 km) from our home. As I do not do much 'twitching' these days, I had resisted the temptation to try and find this bird. However, I became curious as to what this bird found attractive in a place which is hard against a large commercial estate and, as I'd only seen Ring-necked Duck twice in my life, and both of those times it had been males, I decided it was time for a visit.

Arriving in the area, I found a large, and absolutely empty, car park and I then set off to the pool, confident in my direction, having studied the area on Google Earth. On reaching the south-west corner of the pool, there were a few Tufted Duck visible and a distant lone duck that I was not sure about, initially, as I am not familiar with the appearance of a female Ring-necked Duck having only seen an image in a book. I took numerous photos of this duck and, on reviewing them, came to the realisation that it was just a female Tufted Duck with a rather peaked crown and which seemed to have a white ring near the tip of the bill. This was confirmed when it came much closer.

Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) (female) - Dishley Pool
I started making my way along the north-western edge of the pool, stopping to photograph a Moorhen.

Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) - Dishley Pool
About half way along this side of the pool, I found a fellow with a 'scope, and asked if he'd seen the Ring-necked Duck and he pointed out that it was in its usual area, right in the north-east corner of the pool, and showed me it in his 'scope. I got some very poor record shots at a great distance while we chatted for about twenty minutes, and then took my leave of him in order to take a stroll round the perimeter of the pool. Having passed the north-east corner and started down the south-east side of the pool, I found a spot where I could get a significantly closer view of the Ring-necked Duck, and in reasonable light too. I spent some time photographing the duck until it drifted further away and the light started failing. Here are a few of the shots that I obtained - probably the last time that I ever see this species!

Ring-necked Duck (Aythya collaris) - Dishley Pool
I got home just in time to witness a Sparrowhawk visiting the garden and also a Comma butterfly landing on the trunk of our elder. I was impressed that I could get such a clear shot of the butterfly through the glass of our conservatory at a range of about 10 metres.

Sparrowhawk (Accipiter nisus) (female) - garden on 2nd April, 2023
Comma (Polygonia c-album) - garden on 2nd April, 2023

Monday, 3rd April                    Garden

The Long-tailed Tits were still visiting at this time - I make no excuses.

Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus) - garden on 3rd April, 2023
A couple of days earlier, I'd seen reports of Bee-flies seen in the south of England. These harbingers of Spring are creatures which I find fascinating, so I was more than a little pleased when I found a couple in our garden on this fine sunny day. That long proboscis is amazing!

Dark-edged Bee-fly (Bombylius major) (male) - garden on 3rd April, 2023
 

I'll end this post here. My next post will probably feature a visit to Rutland Water. In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature. Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. It's the birds that are awsome!

      Delete
  2. Cracking Ring necked Duck shots Richard. If only our Stodmarsh bird would show like this rather than 150m away. Take care.

    Marc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc. I reckon I was lucky that this one came to about 50 metres away, and didn't just float around doing nothing.

      Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Hello Richard,
    I immediately noticed the eye of the bird in the picture with the jackdaw, my first glance went straight to the eye, very nice, the sparrowhawk is the boss in your garden... nice series.
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those white eyes of the Jackdaw always look quite disturbing to me, Frank.

      The Sparrowhawk hasn't been around for a while now, as far as I'm aware, and the birds seem to be enjoying a more peaceful existence.

      Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Results looking good with your new gear Richard. Particularly impressed with the images of the smart female RND.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty pleased with the new set-up, Pete. Your use of video in your own blog has got me thinking that I should possibly try video with this set-up sometime soon, as it looks as if it is much easier than the Nikon was to shoot video. Watch this space!

      Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Work with new camera is continuing apace I see, Richard, with a little help from Nikon too, and the results are spectacular. The Oak Beauty is very aptly named; it is indeed a beauty. And a Long-tailed Tit is hard to beat for the ooh and ah factor! Ring-necked Duck is very common here at this time of the year. Once in a long while, however, a stray Tufted Duck shows up and engenders the same kind of excitement as the Ring-neck did in your part of the world. Eastern Comma was in our backyard yesterday, and Mourning Cloaks are common. We have seen a few dragonflies, but none cooperative enough to permit ID. Spring truly has arrived - on both sides of the water! All the best to you and Lindsay - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When publishing these shots of the Ring-necked Duck, David, I was conscious of the fact that, whilst a rarity here in UK, they are extremely common on your side of the pond. I was not aware, however, of the reversal of situations on either side of the Atlantic when Tufted Duck are added to the mix.

      We are now seeing a few butterflies, but I expect it to be another month before I see any damselflies or dragonflies. There are suggestions that this year will be a poor year here for dragons and butterflies because of weather conditions last year. Fingers are crossed.

      My very best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hello Richard :=)
    Your first image of the Oak Beauty is a fabulous shot, and then I scrolled down your post and saw that all of your photos are of the same high calibre, and I am thrilled for you. I inhaled deeply as I always do on seeing a a creature of great beauty then exhaled slowly as I take in the wonderful scene before me.The. photos of the Jackdaw, Chaffinch and Long-tailed Tit are so beautiful that they took my breath away. The Eye of the lovely Stock Dove and gorgeous Sparrow Hawk are so sharply in focus, as is the Comma Butterfly .that no one can be in any doubt that apart from your own obvious photographic skills your Canon is making a very favourable impression. I wonder why the Ring-necked Duck is not called the Ring- billed Duck! I'm pleased for you that you eventually found a place from which you could take photos of this scarce water bird..I have also seen a few Bee-flies in my garden. I too was amazed when I first saw it's long proboscis.Thank you for the pleasure you have given me.
    All the best
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your kind words will have me blushing, Sonjia! Thank you.

      I used to wonder why the Ring-necked Duck was so named, for the same reason that you mention. However, I understand that the male has an 'indistinct purplish-brown neck collar, often hidden'.

      Bee flies are quite common in UK, but I only became aware of them about five or six years ago. I find them to be quite attractive to watch.

      Take good care and stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Hello Richard, good to see you are getting more familiair with your new camera. Some great photos you show here. Love the Long Tail Tits. Hope they are making a nest near by your home so you can enjoy the little ones when they fledge.
    Take care and I hope Lindsay is doing better and better.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roos. Sadly, we have not seen the Long-tailed Tits for a week now, so I think that they have moved on.

      Lindsay's mobility is improving greatly now - thank you for your concern and good wishes.

      Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. You are certainly getting some great shots with the new camera, and I love that photo of the leaf, it is perfect.

    I wish the Long-tailed Tits would visit us, I have only ever seen then here further south. Fabulous shot of the Sparrowhawk though I am sure that you would rather see it anywhere other than your garden!

    Hope you both have a good weekend, take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to the start of the dragonfly season, Diane, to see how I manage with the camera, particularly with flight shots. All is looking promising so far.

      Yesterday I replied to Roos that we'd not seen the Long-tailed Tits for a week, but one showed up during breakfast this morning - it didn't stay long enough for a photo!

      It might seem strange, but I'd be quite disappointed if we didn't get the occasional visit by a Sparrowhawk. I wouldn't want it to be regularly visiting several times a day, as sometimes happens, however!

      We're all good here, and looking forward to a quiet weekend after a busy week.

      With very best wishes to you and Nigel - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Perfect Richard, my favourite is Ring-necked Duck, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob, it has to be my favourite too!

      My best wishes - stay safe - - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. New tools can be a challenge to learn and, eventually, a joy to use. The key ingredient to excellent work is the worker. In this case, we have evidence that an excellent photographer continues to produce quality work which is enhanced by a new tool.

    Wonderful photographs, Richard!

    We apologize that one of our city park's Ring-necked Ducks wandered away and ended up afloat upon Dishley Pool. City employees with large nets have been dispatched to retrieve the errant quacker.

    There has been discussion within the secret society known as the "American Ornithological Union" about changing the moniker for Aythya collaris to "Ring-billed Duck". Being a bit familiar with the organizational machinations of such august bodies we can expect progress on the proposal within the next dozen years or so. In the meantime, great images!

    That Comma-thru-the-glass certainly turned out well! (Note to self: clean window panes looking into rear yard.)

    All is well here and will be even better once we get back on schedule with rambling about in field and forest and swamp. All our best to you and Lindsay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, Wally, your encouragement is much appreciated. I feel that I am starting to get to grips with the new camera, but have been advised to check out Youtube for recommendations for settings for my specific camera model for wildlife photography, and am now going through that process.

      Things are continuing to improve here - earlier this week, Lindsay made her first solo shopping expedition since her op!

      My very best wishes to you and Gini - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.