Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Tuesday 9 May 2023

April 'Odds and Sods', Pt.1 - 7th to 24th April, 2023

I have already published blog posts featuring some April excursions. This post will fill in the gaps with some garden observations and local short visits.

(Good) Friday, 7th April                    Garden

The appearance of a Long-tailed Tit will always lift the spirits, and this day we had two! Here's a photo of one of them.

Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus) - garden on 7th April, 2023
Hoverflies were appearing. This one favoured the Ipheon uniflorum - a plant that I once decided seemed attractive so acquired some from a nursery and put in a flower bed, not realising how invasive they are! The same can be said for Bluebells and Muscari! I suspect that this is Syrphus vitripennis - a female.

hoverfly (Syrphus vitripennis?) (female) - garden on 7th April, 2023

This Comma also showed up and I suspect, due to its tattered appearance, that it might have been a speciment that had overwintered as an adult.

Comma (Polygonia c-album) - garden on 7th April, 2023
That night, the moth trap went out, but only resulted in three somewhat uninteresting moths of two species.

Thursday, 20th April                    Kelham Bridge Nature Reserve ; Sence Valley Forest Park

The reserve at Kelham Bridge had, I'm sorry to say, been rather unproductive so far this year, but I am not about to give up on this place. It was rather quiet during this visit, with a trio of Canada Geese on the grass to the left of the first hide.

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) - Kellham Bridge NR

Since my last visit to this place, the Sand Martins, the smallest of European Hirundines, had returned to the artificial nesting wall, way off to the left of the hide. This next image, taken with the lens at its full 400mm and already a little cropped, shows the wall. 

Sand Martin (Riparia riparia) - Kelham Bridge NR
I spent some time trying to capture the action, and the best that I could come up with was these next two, highly cropped, images.

Sand Martin (Riparia riparia) - Kelham Bridge NR
It then dawned on me that I should try using the camera's video capability.  The video I took was a bit shakey in the wind so I have applied Microsoft's stabilisation facility, this shrinks the overall size of the video. However, I feel that it better captures the atmosphere.
 
As I left the hide, a Wren was singing its heart out beside the path. It always amazes me that such a small bird can have such a loud voice, but you can see the effort it puts into its output in this next image.
 
Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes) - Kelham Bridge NR

I went to the second hide, but nothing much was visible, and the only thing that presented itself anywhere near enough for a photo was a Little Grebe.
 
Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) - Kelham Bridge NR

I decided to abandon ship and see if I could have any more luck at nearby Sence Valley. The short answer was 'no'.  It was pleasing to find Cowslip in flower beside Goss Water.

Cowslip (Primula veris) - Sence Valley FP
While looking for birds to photograph, I spotted what I at first took to be a day-flying moth go past. Fortunately it landed on the bridge over the Sence, where it flows between Horseshoe Lake and Goss Water. It was an Alderfly but, although the most common species is Sialis lutaria, it cannot be readily separated from the very similar Sialis fuliginosa.
 
Alderfly (Sialis sp.) - Sence Valley FP
Seeing little, and reckoning that it was about time I headed home anyway, I returned to my car. However, I found myself distracted by the butterflies at the roadside within ten metres of my car. I can't remember the last time that I saw six species of butterfly in such a small area. Seen were Orange-tip, Brimstone, Green-veined White, Holly Blue, Speckled Wood, and Comma.
 
Holly Blue (Celastrina argiolus) (male) - by River Sence

Green-veined White (Pieris napi) (female) - by River Sence

Saturday, 22nd April                    Ashby de la Zouch Cemetery

On the county WhatsApp group, there was a report of a Ring Ouzel seen at the cemetery in my home town. I was not even aware that this place existed! It was soon located with the aid of Google Earth and I set off to investigate.

I found another birder there checking the place out. After a relatively thorough check, no such bird was found. We agreed that the place looked to be a highly unlikely environment for a Ring Ouzel to stop in, and both of us wondered if an inexperienced observer had mistaken a female Blackbird (which often exhibit a pale chest crescent) for this species.

While there, I did use my camera on a couple of very common birds sitting on headstones.

Woodpigeon (Columba palumbus) - Ashby de la Zouch Cemetery

Jackdaw (Corvus monedula) - Ashby de la Zouch Cemetery

Sunday, 23rd April                    Garden

Lindsay has a frog phobia, which is why we can't have a conventional pond in our garden. The pond that we do have is a mini-pond, contained in a wooden structure with 18 inch (0.46 m) high vertical side-walls - too high for any frog that I've met! However, we do have a very small part of what used to be my Koi pond that has been retained as a bird drinking and bathing station, and is affectionately known to us as 'the duck pond'.

On this day, I found one of the largest Common Frogs that I've ever seen, sitting on a ledge overlooking the duck pond.

Common Frog (Rana temporaria) - garden on 23rd April, 2023

Having taken my photos, I left it in peace, and it was gone the next time that I looked.

Monday, 24th April                    Garden

Nothing very special was witnessed in the garden during the day, although I did take a few photos, some of which are shown below. However, an interesting event that night was uncovered the following day.

Grey Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) - garden on 24th April, 2023

Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis) - garden on 24th April, 2023

Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula) (female) - garden on 24th April, 2023

Robin (Erithacus rubecula) - garden on 24th April, 2023
I deploy three trailcams in the garden each night, and have been witnessing at least three Hedgehogs visiting our garden. Occasionally we will see two meeting up. Usually this ends with a showdown, resulting in the weakest of the two retreating rapidly or just curling into a ball and waiting until the aggressor has departed. Sometimes, however, we witness more amorous activity. This entails the male circling round the female for a while, until she accepts his advances. On this occasion, the camera caught this behaviour and, although no mating was captured, the remarkable thing was the duration of the event. If you look at the time displayed at the bottom of the video, you will see that it starts at 22.19, and ends at 23.24 - 65 minutes in total! Don't worry - I've only included a few clips and the video is only about a minute and a half in duration.


Thus ends Pt.1 of my April O&S account. Pt.2 will probably be in about a week's time. In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature.
 
Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard

 

26 comments:

  1. Good morning, Richard: These artificial structures for Sand Martins appear to be very successful, and I have seen reports of their installation throughout Europe, always with good results. Why we have not adopted this practice here is a bit of a mystery because the species is not doing well overall. I am also curious about the genus Sialis used for an Alderfly. Eastern Bluebird is Sialia sialis. The etymology of Sialis seems a little obscure, and the best I can come up with is that it refers to "an unknown species of bird!" I will have to a little more digging! I can see that your video skills are progressing well and I will look forward to more snippets like this. Miriam will be happy to see the hedgehogs thriving and even working on the next generation! Best wishes to you and Lindsay - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sand Martin wall featured here seems to be a very basic one, David, but the more sophisiticated ones have chambers behind, accessible to humans to enable monitoring and maintenance. As far as I'm aware, take-up by the birds is extremely good.

      Please let me know if you come up with any more information on the 'Sialis' etymology.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. You seem to be getting the hang of the camera. Some excellent clear results. Take care.

    Marc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm getting there with the camera, Marc, and I have to say that I'm delighted that I made the switch. Spent a couple of hours today, playing with, and setting up, custom settings. I hope that I've not screwed up the whole shebang!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Lots of interest to enjoy and images to view in your Odds and Sods. If I may I'd like to make a comment on the Syrphus vitripennis which is difficult to separate from s. ribesii, but I'm sure you've already checked that out Richard.

    Kind Regards from the north....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did look long and hard at that Syrphus, Pete. This was a female (with eyes well separated) and the confusion species for females is, I believe, S. torvus, not S. ribesii. Having blown up my photos, the 2nd basal cell of the wing looks as clear as glass, but my photo might not be good enough to detect microtrichia so this is why I have only noted it as a 'probable' S. vitripennis.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Hello Richard
    the Canada goose was standing perfectly in front of the hiding place, I also know the wind noise during the swallow video, I've seen what can be done there.. I was offered an extra microphone with a windscreen, it cost several hundred euros, since that day I can't find the wind noise more so disturbing.. the video of the hedgehogs is also great, the cat thought about what the two were doing there,
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings Frank

      I do not expect to be using the video aspect of the camera enough to justify the purchase of an external microphone. I used to have a very good one with a wind cover when, many years ago, I had a semi-professional video camera. However, I stopped using that camera and forgot to take the batteries out of the microphone - which resulted in the microphone being wrecked!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. You successfully met our trifecta goal of the 3B's: Birds, Blooms, Bugs! And you even tossed in a bonus of hedgehogs, a frog and squirrel! We could hardly ask for more.

    It's good to know the artificial wall for the Sand Martins has been successful. Humans get it right once in a while.

    I really enjoyed all of these excellent photographs. Gini wanted me to pass along her thanks for including the Robin. Seeing an image of one always evokes very fond memories of our time living in Germany as it was the first "official" European bird we ever listed.

    If we can escape the clutches of the medical system, we're heading to the swamp in the hope of encountering our 3B's!

    Take good care you two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your approval of the variety of subject matter, Wally. I'm hoping the bug side of things will pick up soon. The only odos that I've seen this year have been at my own garden mini-pond, and that's not for want of looking elsewhere.

      Please tell Gini that I shall bear in mind her pleasure at the sight of a Robin, and try and feature one a little more frequently. I shall earmark one for my next blog post!

      I hope you got to the swamp OK, and look forward to your 3B offerings - as always!

      My best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. A lovely selection of photos, I only discovered the other day how Sand Martins nest so this was interesting. At last I can watch videos well done. I need to set out our Trail camera up again but I think it needs new batteries! In case you are interested My bird blog has some new birds on it.
    Hope all is well, take care both of you, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen 'natural' Sand Martin nests, Diane, and it has always struck me that they look a little hazardous for the birds with a danger of the tunnels collapsing. These artificial ones, of course, do not have that danger.

      If you are getting new batteries for your trail camera, can I suggest that you consider getting rechargeable lithium-ion ones. They are very expensive when compared to others. The problem with Ni-MH rechargeables is that they run at about 1.3 volts, rather than the 1.5 volts that the trail cams are designed for, and the voltage on Ni-MH batteries starts dropping very quickly and the trail cams give up. I was finding on my trail cams (which do, I admit, take a lot of video footage in a night) that I was having to recharge them every couple of days. Li-ion rechargeables run at a constant 1.5 volts - and then stop. However, they are powering the trail cams for about two to four weeks!

      I shall now pop over to your bird blog.

      Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. Thanks Richard I will have a look for lithium-ion.. My main problem is that wherever I put ithe Trail Cam, I cannot avoid our vegetation and the strong winds that we are having means that I get every leaf that moves. Despite trying to cut the branches back I still do not seem to succeed in missing everything, very frustrating. Cheers D.

      Delete
  7. Hello Richard :=)
    Entertaining videos and beautiful photos. I enjoyed both, and the wide variety of creatures. Love the perfectly lovely image of the squirrel sitting on a garden structure surrounded by the red and green foliage, the little Wren and Robin, and the darling frog capture. I like them, but not so much the noise they make. I hear them day and night from the pond some distance away from the house. I do like the sound the Crickets make however, and the hooting of an Owl every night. I'm so glad to know the Sand Martins are doing well, but was sorry to read that the Owl population has diminished. Thank you once again for a most enjoyable post.
    With my best wishes
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My childhood days seemed to be filled with the sound of grasshoppers and crickets, Sonjia, but I rarely hear them now. I suspect that there has never been a grasshopper in our garden, and would be utterly amazed if a cricket had ever been present. As for the hooting of an owl, it is possibly ten years since I heard one from our garden.

      THank you for your kind words. I hope that all is well with you - take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Still keeping busy Richard. Glad you have something to photograph. I've only got my foxes. Take care.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do quite well for wildlife in our garden, Mike, probably because it looks a bit scruffy, although quite colourful. We still have three Hedgehogs visiting, but I would love to have a fox in the garden again.

      Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hello Richard, sorry for my late respons. I am coping with an infection underneath my teeth and are taking antibiotica. Slowly it is getting better but it was very painful. It came out of the blue, surprisingly. But now your post. A wonderful post indeed and your photos are beautiful. I think your new camera dous help a lot. The photo with the Hooverfly is so beautiful. Your garden sure is a haven for wildlife.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Roos, please don't apologise - I too am rather late with my responses, and my excuses are not as significant as yours! I'm so sorry to hear of your dental problems. It sounds absolutely dreadful and nobody feels like doing anything when they have toothache. I hope it continues to improve.

      I have still a lot to learn with the new camera, and I am at an age when learning new things is not so easy! It is definately an improvement on my old equipment however. THe main thing that I'm having problems with at the moment is finding small subjects in the viewfinder. Hopefully, I will get used to it soon.

      My very best wishes to you - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your understanding Richard. After finishing my antibiotica all is as it should be I am glad to say.
      Regards,
      Roos

      Delete
  10. Hi Richard... Very nice pictures and Hedgehogs video... Happy week...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana. I'm pleased to know that you enjoyed them, as you set standards that I would love to achieve.

      My best wishes - I hope that the weather there is not now too hot - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. Absolutely stunning Richard, I love the Sand Martins and the Hedgehogs, love all them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. Sand Martins are always a delight to watch - as are Hedgehogs too! Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.