Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Tuesday 16 May 2023

April 'Odds and Sods', Pt.2 - 25th to 29th April, 2023

Pt.2 of my 'mop-up' account of April covers a shorter period than Pt.1 but contains coverage of some events that, for me, were quite exciting. So here we go:-

Tuesday, 25th April                    Sence Valley Forest Park ; Garden

There had, the previous day, been a report of a Whinchat and two Wheatear in the most recently planted area of Sence Valley FP. It was an area of this place that I had not previously visited, so decided that it was time that I took a look.

I parked my car in a spot that was relatively close to the area and set off along the perimeter path. I soon spotted a likely looking bird on the fence, way ahead of me. It was, unfortunately, somewhat into the light, and I was unable to make a positive ID with my binoculars. I continued down the path taking record shots as I approached, and was starting to get within a sensible distance when couple with dogs came from the opposite direction and spooked the bird, which disappeared over the newly planted trees. I can, however, see from my shots that it was a Wheatear that I'd seen. From the white on the belly, it appears to have been a male, but I'm not sure about that!

Wheatear (Oenanthe oenanthe) (male?) - Sence Valley FP

I waited there for quite a while, hoping for the bird to return, and keeping myself occupied by trying to photograph passing gulls.

Black-headed Gull (Larus ridibundus) - Sence Valley FP
The bird did not return, so I set off to go to Horseshoe Lake, briefly calling in at the hide at Stonebridge Pool on the way. Nothing of interest was seen from the hide, but Orange-tip butterflies and and a hoverfly were photographed from the path that lead round to Horseshoe Lake.

While I was trying to photograph a female Orange-tip, a male arrived and the female demonstrated that she was ready! I got better photos of the female on her own, but thought this less-than-sharp image to be more interesting.

Orange-tip (Anthocharis cardamines) (female+male) - Sence Valleyy FP

hoverfly (Eupeodes luniger) (male) - Sence Valley FP
At Horseshoe Lake, the best that I could find to photograph was a Black-headed Gull.

Black-headed Gull (Larus ridibundus) - Sence Valley FP

Also, while there, I spotted a pair of small and very colourful flies that were attracted to the trunk of a small tree - I neglected to note the species of tree. The flies were Gymnocheta viridis which, as adults, feed on pollen and nectar, but prefer to rest on trunks of trees..

fly (Gymnocheta viridis) - Sence Valley FP
It was time to return to my original location to see if my luck would change. On the way, I stopped for a fine male Orange-tip.

Orange-tip (Anthocharis cardamines) (male) - Sence Valleyy FP
As I approached the access to my original location, a couple with two dogs arrived from the area that I was heading for, which didn't give me any confidence that I'd fare better on my return. However, as I reached the corner, I spotted the Whinchat on the fence ahead. I made a cautious approach and noticed a Wheatear just behind the Whinchat. The Whinchat was relatively cooperative and I managed some shots that I'm quite pleased with.


Whinchat (Saxicola rubetra) (male) - Saltersford Valley CP
Whilst the Whinchat was relatively confiding and stayed put as I walked past on the other side of the 'path' (more like a 'ride' in its width), the Wheatear, a definite female, kept moving ahead of me until I got to a point where the path split and I could approach at a greater distance, and manage some shots.

Wheatear (Oenanthe oenanthe) (female?) - Sence Valley FP
Thus ended a very pleasing visit.

That night the moth trap went out, but only resulted in one moth. It was, however, a beautiful Purple Thorn - a species that I have only once before had the pleasure of finding in my trap.

Purple Thorn (Selenia tetralunaria) (male) - from garden on 25th April, 2023
Wednesday, 26th April                    Garden

During breakfast in our conservatory, I noticed a warbler high up in the Viburnum and managed to get a glimpse of reddish legs, identifying it as a Willow Warbler, rather than a Chiffchaff (which has blackish legs). I did manage a record shot of this species which rarely visits our garden.

Willow Warbler (Phylloscopus trochilus) - garden on 26th April, 2023
I was in the garden later this day, and noticed something floating on the surface of our mini-pond. It was a very dead Large Red Damselfly, and the first damselfly I had seen this year.

Large Red Damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula) - garden on 26th April, 2023
I had not been expecting to see this species so early, as it was over two weeks earlier than the first emergence from our mini-pond last year, and this year seemed to have got off to an even colder start. However, on checking the pond, I found evidence (by exuviae or emerged damselflies still present), of at least twelve emergences! 

Large Red Damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula) - garden on 26th April, 2023

Large Red Damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula) (exuvia of above damselfly) - garden on 26th April, 2023

Friday, 28th April                    Garden

Corvids are not unusual in our garden, with Magpie being an almost daily visitor during the winter, However, Jackdaw is a much less frequent visitor, and Rook is rarely seen, so to have all three visit the same day, although not at the same time, was extremely unusual.

Jackdaw (Corvus monedula) - garden on 28th April, 2023
Rook (Corvus frugilegus) - garden on 28th April, 2023

Magpie (Pica pica) - garden on 28th April, 2023

Saturday, 29th April                    Garden

I rarely photograph House Sparrow, and am starting to wonder why. They used to be by far the most numerous visitor to the garden, with counts of 20 or more being common, but now it is an unusual day when I count more than two. I fear that the day is coming when they are no more! The male House Sparrow is a handsome bird, and I now feel the need to be more attentive to this species.

House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) (male) - garden on 29th April 2023
A female Orange-tip posed nicely for the camera.

Orange-tip (Anthocharis cardamines) (female) - garden on 29th April, 2023
A Pond Skater has found a home in our pond. I am not sure of its specific identity. This photo looks as if it is grainy, but I think that it is pollen from the Rowan that is floating on the surface!

Pond Skater (Geridae sp.) - garden on 29th April, 2023
Our local Robin has been making a nuisance of himself. He's been waiting until the damselflies have emerged from the pond and are almost ready to fly, and then snaffling them up. It seems that he is taking them to his young in a nearby nest. So far, I have witnessed evidence of 65 Large Red Damselflies emerging from our garden mini-pond and I would be surprised if more than ten of them actually escaped being predated. This one's for Gini.

Robin (Erithacus rubecula) - garden on 29th April, 2023
I have spent some time recording the emergence of the Large Red Damselflies, and have been surprised at how many of the nymphs are emerging without any of their caudal lamellae present. I would estimate that half of them have emerged this way.

Here is a larva in such a condition.

Large Red Damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula) (nymph) - garden on 29th April, 2023
In the image below you can see the exuvia, to which the emerged damselfly is still clinging, has caudal lamellae in situ on the end of the abdomen sheath.

Large Red Damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula) (teneral adult+exuvia) - garden on 26th April, 2023
And here is one that escaped the clutches of the Robin, with a little help from me! Its maiden flight took it to a low-growing Hebe.

Large Red Damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula) - garden on 26th April, 2023
 

Thus ends Pt.2 of my April O&S account. My next blog post will probably be in about a week's time and, at this stage of the game, I have no idea as to what the content will be! In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature.

 
Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard


20 comments:

  1. Lovely collection Richard. That male Whinchat is a cracker and the Orange Tip makes me always feel good just to see. Some lovely Large Red Damselfly shots too. Take care.

    Marc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc. That was, by far, my best ever encounter with a Whinchat. We're stil a bit short of dragons in these parts, but I'm keeping my eyes open for them. Best wishes - - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. You 've been a busy boy Richard. Nice variety of pictures. Take care, Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mike. Most of my 'being busy' is with the processing of the photos I take. It is quite time-consuming as I am tending to take a lot of shots to get in practice with the new camera.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Hello Richard
    Wheatear and whinchat photos have become top portraits and look very good with the background. again a first class compilation
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those encouraging words, Frank. There's still plenty of room for improvement in my photography! My best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Great shots of both the Whinchat and the Wheatear, Richard. I have seen Whinchat on several occasions, but often in flight and rarely perched for any length of time for a really good look. As you well know, you have to take what you can get. There are many dragonflies around here too, but getting them perched is a challenge. I saw a fellow the other day with a net, and I suppose that if you are bent on ID above all else that's the route to take. Perhaps he was part of a survey team, I'm not sure, and the captures may have had some higher purpose. I'm happy to take my chances, knowing that I miss many, but there is joy in seeing them flying free. Soon mosquitos will be flying free too and they don't bring the same joy! A pair of chickadees have been showing a little interest in the nest box in the backyard so fingers crossed for joy on that front. Best wishes to you and Lindsay, who I hope is gaining increased mobility and confidence every day. She'll soon be buying a jogging outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The idea of using a net to catch dragonflies doesn't appeal at all, David. I much prefer to use field-craft to approach and photograph them at rest or watch their behaviour so that I can photograph them in flight.

      We don't have a mosquito situation in these parts, and these days we time our visits to Scotland to be before the mosquito season gets fully active.

      I shall keep my fingers crossed for those chickadees in your backyard. We dare not encourage birds to nest in our garden as the chances are that the young would get predated by cats. There are five cats that regularlky visit our garden at night.

      Sadly, Lindsay is going through a bad patch at the moment as her cellulitis has returned and she's in quite a lot of pain. Otherwise things are generally good here.

      My very best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Hello Richard, wow what amazing finds on your outing. Orange tip, super. And than the Wheatear and Whinchat. You are so lucky to catch this on camara. The photos are wonderful and I see that on smaller items you manage the focus verry well as you posted earlier.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Roos. Now that the insects are becoming more abundant, I am trying to get as much practice on close-up photography as I can, so that I am ready when the dragonfly season gets fully active.

      Thank you for your much-appreciated words of encouragement. My very best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Your April "mop-up" certainly provided us with some very clean images to enjoy!

    You must be very pleased to have found Whinchat and Wheatear in relative proximity! I would have been thrilled at such an observation but you took the occasion further by obtaining superb photographs of the event!

    Your account and pictures of the Red Damselfly life cycle is fascinating. I'm sure the Robin thinks so, too. I really like that shot of the male Orange-tip approaching the female. Nicely done!

    It seems your weather is providing somewhat better opportunity for you to be out and about. Hopefully, that will continue.

    We're doing well but these #$!%&!* doctor appointments are interfering with our outings. I may soon have to boycott them altogether. Fortunately, they are all "maintenance" visits and we are both in very good health.

    Gini and I send our very best wishes to you and Lindsay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting the Whinchat shots was one of this year's highlights, Wally. It's a species that I rarely see.

      The weather is still playing ducks and drakes with us (I don't know if that expression travels?) but seems to be slowly moving in the right direction. However, I'm still a bit limited by Lindsay's condition - she's had a few set-backs recently and it looks as if were going to have to cancel a seaside break in Dorset which is booked for the near future. I sympathise with your frustration at medical appointments. Our frustration here is that our health system is now well and truly broken and it can take up to two months to get an appointment unless one is at death's door.

      With my very best wishes to you and Gini - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Hello Richard :=)
    Your Wheatear and Whinchat captures are beautiful and so are the Orange-tip shots. It seems to me that Damselflies don't really have much chance of survival when their are nesting birds around. The Robin is a fine looking bird, and feeds it's chicks however it can, but I know that you have a fondness for damselflies, and their beauty is undeniable, I'm glad you helped one to escape the Robin's attention..:=) It's still extremely hot here, too hot to be outdoors in the afternoons, but even so I prefer heat to cold, so I can't complain.
    A most enjoyable, and informative post.
    My best wishes, and I hope your wife Lindsay feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sincere apologies for this late reply, Sonjia - I got caught up with a whole raft of things, which were mostly pleasurable, I'm pleased to say.

      I am disappointed to hear that you are still experiencing very hot weather. I hope that it cools off for you soon. We are now getting some much-appreciated summer weather, and the butterflies and dragonflies are appearing, which has keep me busy for a few days.

      Thank you so much for your kind wishes. LIndsay is coping with her situation quite well, but it looks as if we are going to have to spend serious money to get her properly sorted out, as our National Health Service is well and truly broken.

      With my very best wishes - take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Great Richard, you have always gets me going. The Birds, dragonflies, insects and more. I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. It's good to be back in a season where there's a bit more variety to point my camera at. Take good care - - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Wow love these photos, I have never knowingly seen a Wheatear or a Whinchat, so beautiful.

    I am very worried about the news re Lindsay as you say the NHS is not good. France is not as quick as it used to be, but if there is a major problem all seems to be well

    Please take care and let me know how you both are. Our very best wishes to you both, from both of us, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wheatear and, especially, Whinchat always excite me when sighted, Diane, so to get both within sight at once was especially pleasing.

      Will respond to your earlier message re Lindsay 'privately' - thank you for your concern.

      Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.