Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Tuesday 2 May 2023

A Return to Middleton Lakes - 18th April, 2023

Having made a very enjoyable first visit to the RSPB Middleton Lakes Reserve on 23rd February, I'd been looking for an opportunity to return, but had been hampered by commitments and weather - there's virtually nowhere to shelter at Middleton Lakes! This dat, however, looked promising with a good chance of sunshine, although the winds were forecast to be rather strong. 

I set off at around 10.30, arriving at around 11.15. I'd been relying on the availability of loos at Middleton Hall, next to the RSPB car park, but found that Middleton Hall was well and truly closed. I spoke to another group of people in the car park to enquire about alternatives, only to find that they were in the same boat as myself. I will say no more, other than that ad-hoc arrangements were made by all.

I set off along the long trail which leads to the lakes and soon had the pleasure of spotting a Holly Blue butterfly.

Holly Blue (Celastrina argiolus) (male) - Middleton Lakes
Some way down the track is an area with what is described as a bird kitchen where this sign is displayed, and there are logs etc. placed where people can put seed for the birds. I stopped here briefly but only photographed a Great Tit.

Great Tit (Parus major) - Middleton Lakes

By Pooh Stick Bridge, a birder coming the other way alerted me to a male Blackcap ahead. I found it almost immediately as it was continually singing loudly. Getting a photograph, however, was another matter entirely. Although it was probably less than ten metres away it was mostly obscured by intervening branches in a darlk place against a biright sky. This is the best that I could manage in the possibly five minutes before it departed.

Blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla) (male) - Middleton Lakes
Where people had put bird seed on the parapet of Fishers Mill Bridge, a Chaffinch was having its lunch. This one had a bad case of scaly legs - a common condition caused by  Fringilla papillomavirus. This condition can lead to lameness and loss of digits or worse.

Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs) (male) - Middleton Lakes

I arrived at Fishers Mill Pool to find an even more disturbing sight - a small island covered with dead and dying birds. As far as I could tell, these were all Black-headed Gull. Avian Flu was taking a terrible toll here. A section of this island is depicted below - it was only visible through the reeds in front.

Carnage at Middleton Lakes

There was, however, the uplifting sound of a booming Bittern.

From the west side of Jubilee Wetlands, a few Canada Geese were in a meadow amongst some white flower, of which I have no idea of their identity.

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) - Middleton Lakes
I had a rather unsuccesful attempt to photograph a passing Cormorant.

Cormorant (Phalacrocorax carbo) - Middleton Lakes

Shortly after this, I got into conversation with a gentleman and his wife. He had bought the same camera body as me at about the same time. I picked up some useful tips from him and immediately applied these to my camera. I was then delighted when I managed to get a difficult shot of a near and low-flying swan, into the light and against a cluttered background. The result was not the best of shots, convinced me that the new setting was an improvement.

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) (immature) - Middleton Lakes
I had been seeing a few Orange Tip butterflies but, because of the strong wind, not managed to find one that settled. My luck changed on a sheltered patch beside the path that runs between Jubilee Wetlands North and North Pool.

Orange-tip (Anthocharis cardamines) (male) - Middleton Lakes

Turning towards The Lookout, a pair Of Great Crested Grebe were in the water to the right of the path.

Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus) - Middleton Lakes
I spent a short while in The Lookout, where there were plenty of birds visible, but mainly common fare and mainly at an unphotographable distance. I did photograph a pair of Gadwall from here, however.

Gadwall (Mareca strepera) (female) - Middleton Lakes
Gadwall (Mareca strepera) (male) - Middleton Lakes

Leaving The Lookout, one of the grebes was in a better position for photography.

Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus) - Middleton Lakes
Heading down the east side of Jubilee Wetlands, adjacent to the River Thame, I found that it was much more sheltered from the wind here and a few butterflies were around. There were numerous Orange-tips - nearly all male.

Orange-tip (Anthocharis cardamines) (male) - Middleton Lakes

There were also a few Speckled Wood around.

Speckled Wood (Pararge aegeria) - Middleton Lakes

I only saw one Peacock butterfly and this was holding a territory, having frequent skirmishes with intruding Orange-tips! 

Peacock (Aglais io) - Middleton Lakes
I then took the east-west path that runs between Jubilee Wetlands and Fishers Mill Pool. At the first blind, I sat and rested a while. Attempts to photograph gulls didn't amount to much. Here are a couple of shots.

Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus - Middleton Lakes
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) - Middleton Lakes

 I tried to get some shots of a rather distant Lapwing, but couldn't do better than this (heavily cropped).

Lapwing (Vanellus vanellus) - Middleton Lakes

For whatever reason, I suddenly felt tempted to try the video facility on the Canon. It is a far more simple process on the Canon, than it was on the Nikon, which is why I never used it on the Nikon. I'm quite pleased with the results which were hand-held in a stiff wind - as you can hear if you have the sound up on your device.

I also took a few shots of a drake Shoveler.

Shoveler (Spatula clypeata) (male) - Middleton Lakes
Sufficiently rested, I headed eastward and stopped for a Coot.
 
Coot (Fulica atra) - Midleton Lakes


The real treat of the day came a little further along the path when a very loud song alerted me to the presence of a Sedge Warbler. I had not seen this species for several years, so was delighted when it briefly flew into the top of a bush close to me.


Sedge Warbler (Acrocephalus schoenobaenus) - Middleton Lakes

Before leaving this path I got a record shot of a female Orange-tip (the one without the orange tips to the wings).

Orange-tip (Anthocharis cardamines) (female) - Middleton Lakes
Before reaching Fishers Mill Bridge, I was again struck by the volume of sound from the gulls on Fishers Mill Pool although the booming Bittern could be heard above the racket but, sadly, not in this clip.
At Fishers Mill Bridge, I was quite surprised, and amused, to find a drake Mallard on the bridge parapet, after the bird seed that had been placed on it.
 
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) (male) - Middleton Lakes
Nothing of great interest was seen on the long walk back to the car park.

It had been a most enjoyable experience, in spite of the cold wind, and I look forward to returning. I am keen to know what the dragonfly/damselfly situation is here.


My next blog post will, as usual, probably be in about a week's time. In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature.

Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard


18 comments:

  1. Nice day at Middleton Lakes, only tinged with sadness at the sight of the Black-headed Gulls struck down with Avian Flu. Enjoyed seeing the results of your first use of the video facility on you new Canon, I wondered, are they in MP4 format Richard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that Avian Flu is now hitting really hard in this area, Pete, with mainly Black-headed Gulls being the victims - which is no surprise as they're by far the most common gull species in these parts.

      Yes, those videos were in MP4 format, uploaded to Blogger at full size. Did they show up OK on your kit?

      Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. The scene of all those dead gulls is pretty disturbing, Richard. When you see situations like that avian flu is no longer just something talked about on the evening news. Other than that it looks like Middleton Lake was a great spot to visit. No doubt you will be heading back there, ever more proficient with your new equipment. I enjoyed your little videos and I expect that you will be doing more of this. Congratulations on the Sedge Warbler. Am I correct in thinking that this species is a popular target for the Cuckoo? Best wishes to you and Lindsay - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that the Avian Flu situation is accelerating, David, and some nature reserves are closing down to the public in an effort to try and contain the problem. Whilst on the subject of viruses, it seems that a new strain of Covid is now causing concern in UK and there's talk of the reintroduction of some compulsory safety measures..

      Cuckoo is, sadly, now quite rare in the region. There was a time that we heard them from the garden, but it's been many years now. The only place I see them with some regularity, is in Scotland. There, they are mainly parasitic on Meadow Pipit - as I have witnessed on several occasions. However, Reed Warbler (rather than Sedge Warbler) and Dunnock are also said to be targetted by these birds.

      With my best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Hello Richard :=)
    I could really hear the blustery wind on your enjoyable videos, You got some great shots of birds and butterflies, butterflies with their wings fully open, which is not always possible. Strange to see an Orange-tip butterfly without the orange tipped wings..I would not have known what butterfly it was. I have already seen a Damsel-fly this year but didn't manage to get a shot. It is a great shame that the Black-headed Gulls you were dying and some were dead caused by Avian Flu. I was also sorry to see the Chaffinch with such scaly legs and feet. Something I have never come across before.I like your capture of the male Blackcap, and Sedge Warbler.are lovely.
    All the best Richard and thank you for such a pleasurable post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look twice at that female Orange-tip to check that my ID was correct, Sonjia. If you can see the underside of the rear wings, the ID is obvious as they have the same black and yellow (but looks green!) markings as the males.

      Thank you for your kind words - I'm delighted to know you enjoyed this post.

      Stay safe - best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Un reportaje extraordinario, como siempre nos enseñas. Me preocupa la imagen de las Chroicocephalus ridibundus muertas por gripe aviar, de momento en España no ha llegado esta enfermedad salvo en algún caso aislado. Richard gracias por compartir tus maravillosas fotos y la información, un fuerte abrazo desde el norte de España.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Germán. La situación de la gripe aviar está empeorando y es muy angustioso de presenciar. Espero que no cause mayores problemas a sus pájaros en España.

      Cuídate mucho - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. The photographer continues to impress with images such as these! The videos added a nice dimension.

    I continue to be fascinated with the Orange-tip and lament the fact we do not have them here.

    It seems to me you had a really pleasant walk, with the obvious depressing sight of the gulls being an exception. How nice of the Sedge Warbler to show up just for you!

    Gini and I are well and hope you and Lindsay are also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After a reasonable start with the camera, Wally, I seem to be losing my touch. We've had some damselflies emerging from the garden pond and my shots of them are not too great! I guess it's partly due to me being used to the close-up capability of the old set up - that Sigma 50-500 could focus down to about 3 inches from the lens hood! However, the new lens has a minimum focus distance of just over 3 ft at 400 mm and, strangely to my mind, well over 3 ft at 100 mm. It will take some getting used to!

      Lindsay's had a couple of set-backs lately, but we're doing OK here. It's good to know that you are OK there.

      Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Sorry I am slow with blogging at the moment but at least the garden is looking a bit more like it should!!

    A stunning set of photos, , I love them all butterflies and birds. That last shot of the Mallard shows up his colours so well. I would never have recognised the female orange tip, thank you for making me aware of it, I will keep my eyes open,

    Have a good day, very best wishes to you both, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am having difficulty keeping up with Bloggerland, Diane. These days, it seems to take me more time to do less! Your taking the time out to comment on my blog is much appreciated - thank you!

      My very best wishes to you and Nigel - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Brilliant showing Richard, they are wonderful. My favourite was the Lapwing, BEAUTIFUL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. I do love the irridescence in the Lapwings plumage. My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Hello Richard
    bird flu is everywhere, some poultry farmers have had to kill their animals here too. All I can say about your pictures is that the butterflies are beautiful, especially the orange tip, what beautiful colors. The lapwing makes a lively impression.. the boss on the beach.
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bird Flu situation is tragic, Frank, and it seems that it can spread into mammals and maybe even start getting a grip in the human population. I shall keep my fingers crossed!

      The Orange-tip butterflies seem to be having a very good year this year and I am hoping that they will breed in our garden as we have plenty of their food-plant here!

      My best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.