Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Sunday 7 January 2024

December 2023, Pt.2

My best wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year to my readers.

With this post, I bring an account of some of my sightings, both at home and at relatively local locations, for the second half of December.

Friday, 15th December          Garden  :  Bagworth

During breakfast in the conservatory, I took a few photos of Bullfinch and a female Pied Wagtail.

Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula) (male) - our garden
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii) (female) - our garden
With notice that Waxwing had been seen ten miles (16 km) from our home, although it was very dull weather that morning, I decided to go and have a look to see if I could find them. It is not often that we get an irruption year for Waxwings and I wanted to make sure that I did not miss out.

Very specific directions as to where the Waxwings had been seen had been given, and I spent half an hour or so looking without seeing them. I had given up and started to walk back towards my car when I heard a shout from behind me. A lady who was about a hundred metres or so away waved and then turned and started walking away. I was not entirely certain that the wave was intended for me, so was a little concerned about following her and kept my distance in case she was spooked by me. A couple of hundred metres or so further on I saw that she had rejoined a small group with long lenses - they were onto the Waxwings! Having thanked the lady profusely, I set about trying to get some photos.

Initially, I was watching them high in some tall Rowan trees on the west side of the road, and with the poor light, photography was extremely difficult, and the results were not up to much and have been discarded.

After a while, however, some birds flew over the road into some shorter Rowans on the east side of the road, and here I managed some better images, although far from good - I've had to do a fair amount of manipulation on the ones below. I had not seen Waxwings since 2019, and that was in Scotland, so you're going to get rather a lot of images!

Bohemian Waxwing (Bombycilla garrulus) - Bagworth
The birds stayed for just five minutes before departing south and disappearing into the distance. They probably would have returned eventually, but I needed to anwer the call of nature and head home for lunch so departed. It seems that, by mid-day next day, they had gone.

Hopefully, I might get another chance to photograph Waxwings this winter - I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Saturday, 16th December          from the House

This was a bright sunny day with, unfortunately, too much to do at home. Lindsay alerted me to a rather fine sunset, with aspects leading me to believe that they were probably Nacreous clouds -  clouds, that form in very cold conditions over the poles and in the stratosphere, up to 19 miles (31km) high, far above normal clouds. These unusual clouds were being reported in many areas of England at this time.

Sunset - from our house


Tuesday, 19th December          Dadlington

There were reports of nine Cattle Egret at Dadlington. That day, I was committed to take Lindsay to meet up for lunch with a dear friend of hers that she'd not been able to see for well-over a year. As Lindsay is currently unable to drive and barely able to walk, even with a walking frame, my input was necessary. Knowing that they would be in the restaurant for at least two hours, I had time to kill before needing to pick her up again. As I'd last seen Cattle Egret in February, 2018, it was an obvious choice as to how I would spend my time!

I found the place quite easily from the description given, although there were no other birders present. However, someone arrived as I was getting out of my car, and we were instantly looking at the nine Cattle Egrets. Unfortunately they were in the far side of a pasture that had been partitioned off with many fences, so getting a clean shot was virtually impossible. There was, however, one bird that was a little closer and I did manage a few shots that were not behind a wire fence.

Cattle Egret (Bubulcus ibis) - Dadlington
This next shot, of some of the group where most of them were foraging, gives you an idea as to the problems the fencing was giving.

Cattle Egret (Bubulcus ibis) - Dadlington

One of the group seemed a bit restless, and occasionally took to the air, flying round in a wide circle before landing back with the others. The first time it did this, I missed getting a shot, but I did get a few on its subsequent forays.

Cattle Egret (Bubulcus ibis) - Dadlington

At one point, it landed briefly on a fence post.
 
Cattle Egret (Bubulcus ibis) - Dadlington
Three more people arrived and we chatted for a while. I was about to pack up and go to retrieve Lindsay when two of the birds left the pasture and landed in the arable field to the east.
 
Cattle Egret (Bubulcus ibis) - Dadlington

Lindsay had forgotten to take her phone with her, so was unable to ring me to tell me when she was ready. My timing was perfect, however, as they were just finishing as I arrived.

Friday, 22nd December          Garden

The garden trail cams captured an unwanted visitor in the early hours of the morning, in the form of a large Brown Rat. If I have a phobia, it is for rats!

Brown Rat (Rattus norvegicus) - our garden
 
Saturday, 23rd December          Garden
 
We are currently getting three crows visitng our garden on most days. On this day, I took some photos of one of them. I think that their appearance exudes intelligence.
 
Carrion Crow (Corvus corone) - our garden

Late that night, the garden trail cams showed that we'd had a visit from a Fox. It was a very welcome visitor, and it had been a long while since we last saw one in the garden.
 

Fox (Vulpes vulpes) - our garden
 
Monday, 25th December          Garden
 
It was Christmas day and, when I looked at the output from the garden trail cams, I found that we'd been visited by a Hedgehog in the very early hours of the morning. I did, check, but I couldn't spot its sack of presents.
 

Hedgehog (Erinaceus europaeus) - our garden
 
Sunday, 31st December          Garden

New Year's Eve, and a Blackcap just managed to squeeze in a visit before the end of the year. Once again, it was a female - we haven't seen a male since early February.

Blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla) (female) - our garden

That brings me to the end of December and the end of 2023. For various reasons, my blog output might be a bit limited in the next couple of months or so. However, I expect my next post to feature a bird that I have only had the pleasure of encountering three times in my life - in South Shields at a great distance in 2009 (no photos), on the Isles of Scilly at a closer distance in 2014, and recently locally, and at quite close quarters, in 2024.

I hope to return soon. In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature, and have a wonderful 2024 - - - Richard
 
 

36 comments:

  1. Nice to see you had the Waxwings visit, and a nice image of an adult female included in your set of piks. Fox on the trail cams, with Hedgehog which shouldn't really be out and about in January, and the Brown Rat which I'm sure you didn't want to see in the garden in January or any other month.

    Kind Regards Richard...Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pete. Your comment got me looking at my Waxwing pics again, and wondering which was the female. I've now consulted the Collins guide and am still not sure, but think it might be the upright one in the larger image? I'd appreciate your input, please.

      I think that Hedgehog got fooled by the warmer weather, but it might also be a case of its hibernation site suffering from the extremely wet weather we've had. It has been coming nightly since then and was feeding and drinking well while it was here. However, we had sub-zero conditions last night and it didn't show, so maybe it has gone back into hibernation. The real worrying situation with Hedgehogs is when they're out in the daytime - and this one wasn't, to the best of my knowledge.

      My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. Fourth Waxing down Richard, the only image showing any wing wax. You consulted the same guide book that I have, and the V-marks on the primary tips of the female are thinner than those of the male which are more prominent.

      Regards....Pete.

      Delete
    3. Ah. Thank you for that, Pete.

      Delete
  2. It is quite amazing, Richard, that I am seeing blogs from The Netherlands about Waxwings and Cattle Egrets! There must be some kind of generalized movement. It’s not so many years ago that Little Egret was a rarity; now it is common. Great Egret seems to be appearing with ever greater frequency and now Cattle Egrets. Perhaps this is the vanguard of the next colonization. I don’t think I had realized that Lindsay is quite as incapacitated as she is and my deepest sympathy goes out to her, but also to you. It is not easy for either of you to deal with I am sure. Very best wishes from Miriam and me - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are correct with your observation about the Cattle Egrets, David. I have been saying similar about Cattle Egrets following in the steps of first Little Egrets, and then Great Egrets, for a couple of years or more. One of the guys at that Dadlington location was saying how he remembered, many years ago, travelling all the way down to Somerset to see a Little Egret. Now, it would be very unusual to spend time at, for example, Rutland Water without seeing a Great Egret.

      LIndsay's not doing too well at the moment, but we hope to be moving towards a remedy soon. Will send you a private message with more details.

      Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Hi Richard,
    This is the first time that I visit your blog. Great Post!! David told me that we both had a post with Waxwings and Cattle egrets! So I got curious. I enjoyed looking at your beautiful photos!
    Greetings,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria. Thank you for your visit. I would love to visit your blog and see your Waxwings and Cattle Egrets but, for some strange reason, my antivirus (Norton) stops me from visiting, saying that yours is a known dangerous website! I am sure that this is not correct, so you might want to contact Norton to raise the matter with them. Sorry about that - if you manage to resolve the matter, please let me know.

      My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Best wishes for 2024. I love your Blog.
    Best regards
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a right little busy bee Richard. Lovely post while I am fighting to get animals to visit me. Not getting anything during this cold, wet spell.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mike, I'm very busy at present but not much of it is with my camera! We have now had a couple of dry days, but with sub-zero temparatures. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hello Richard,
    The bullfinches are a nice splash of color in the gray season. You did a great job of photographing the waxwings through the branches.. and the visit from the fox is also nice to see, I also had a visit from the fox in my garden... now three chickens are missing ....enjoy your meal
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings, Frank. It has been a very grey season until recently, but now we are getting some brighter, but rather cold, weather - I hope it lasts!

      I was very sorry to hear of the loss of your chickens to the Fox. Fortunately, we do not have anything in the garden that the fox is likely to want for its dinner.

      My best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Hello Richard :=)
    Lovely series of Waxwing photos, not easy to obtain in poor lighting, but number 5, 6, and 7 are really lovely. Your Crow captures are brilliant,... another challenge as I often find that totally black birds are difficult to photograph. I'm pleased you saw the Cattle Egrets,and even managed to capture one in flight. Your night time visitors are a welcome addition to your post, except for the rat. Thank you for your delightful wildlife
    photography.
    My best wishes to both you and Lindsay.
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sonjia. Your kind words are very encouraging, and I am delighted that you have enjoyed my photographic efforts.

      Totally black birds can be difficult to photograph, but I find that sunshine is fairly essential as there is usually some sheen on the feathers which reveals the detail.

      My very best wishes - take good care and stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Waxwings are such sleek-looking birds. Your groups' cousins, Cedar Waxwings, migrate through our area but we see very few during their southward movement. In late February, we'll see large groups feeding on emerging fruit for 2-3 weeks. Fun times!

    I think Crows are so interesting to observe. Studies have confirmed your thoughts on their intelligence.

    For a moment, I thought you had captured video of one of our local vermin on vacation, the Rattus politicus. Foul creatures, indeed.

    Gini and I continue to empathize with what you and Lindsay are experiencing. We send our hopeful wishes for better days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the majority of winters there are barely any Waxwings visiting England, Wally. But then we get irruption winters where they seem to end up everywhere. This winter has been one of those years, but I've had three attempts to see them and only managed once!

      Rattus politicus is a species that seems to infest most countries on the planet. It is the one species that I'd like to see eradicated.

      We currently have things stabilised to a just about manageable level here. LIndsay has an appointment on Tuesday with a view to a private operation to replace her knee, rather than wait for two or more years for that to happen under our National Health Service.

      Hoping that all is good at your end - - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Siempre es un placer pasar por tu blog. Esos pájaros son preciosos, alguno de ellos no los he visto por aquí. Espero que tu esposa esté mejorando. Abrazos para los dos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Teresa. Mi esposa necesitará un reemplazo de rodilla antes de que mejore. ¡Estamos trabajando en ello!

      Mis mejores deseos: mantente a salvo - - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Hi Richard!!! Very nice pictures of Waxwings and bullfinch... I love these birds... Very funny to see your nocturnal friends taking a walk in your garden... :-))) Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana. Your kind words mean a lot to me! Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. Beautiful photos of beautiful birds. Have a nice weekend !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caroline. I am sorry to hear of your loss of Rose. Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  12. Dear Richard, on my last post, you said you were envious of the birds we get in my area in winter. Ahem, well, none of "my" birds outcompete your waxwings. I once saw one during my time in Hull, but it was fast as a bullet and the light was horrible, so that's the only view I've ever got of these amazing birds.

    Best wishes from cold Spain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This winter has been an exceptionally good one for Waxwings, Guillermo. I wish I was able to get out more to take advantage of their presence. Hopefully I'll get in another session with them before they are gone.

      Best wishes from a sunny, but sub-zero England - - - Richard

      Delete
  13. Hello Richard, some what late but for you and Lindsay all the best for the New Year but most of all good health! Wow you had Waxwings nearby! Great encounter and photos. Hope they will vissit you soon again. The Bullfinch is such a beauty, saw one couple of them a few years ago. Love the photos of the Crows. Clever birds. Cattle eagret in this part of the season is not evident. Hope he wil be able to find something to eat. Lovely to see a fox in your garden. Brown rats is something else.
    Here it is Winter with snow. Next week it will be warmer. I miss the sun.
    Take care and warm regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Roos - I am very sorry for this late reply. Life has been very busy lately. However, things seem to be coming together now, and so we are hoping for a more relaxing time ahead.

      It has been an amazing year for Waxwings in UK. I have managed to have two more short sessions with them and got some slightly better photos as the sun was shining.

      With the hard weather that we too are getting, it has made things more interesting with birds in the garden. We have, at last, had sunshine for much of this week although temperatures have, until today, stayed below freezing, but I have not managed to spend the time to get many photos.

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  14. Hi Richard, sorry I am so far behind but I am hoping that you are both OK.

    Beautiful sunset and I love the waxwing.

    I might get a blog done before we leave next Wednesday but I am running out of hours in the day, If I go quiet (quieter than I am at present), you will know we are on our way and I have no idea what WiFi we may get along the way. Any important news please WhatsApp me I must get some connection at times.

    Take care both of you I will try to keep in touch, very best wishes Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you both have a fabulous time in Africa, Diane, and will look forward to hearing all about it on your return.

      I'll keep you updated via WhatsApp, but currently things are looking more positive for Lindsay, with her now having a mid-February appointment for her 2nd knee replacement. However, I'm now told that my 'urgent scan' will be taking place two days after Lindsay's knee op. Whatever happened to our wonderful NHS?

      Best wishes to you both - bon voyage if we're not in touch beforehand - take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. February is ridiculous for you, this has been going on since the beginning of October. I cannot believe they leave in a state of not knowing and worry for so long. I have managed another quick blog but that could be the last for sometime. Take care, Diane

      Delete
    3. Our NHS is well and truly borken, Diane, but please don't worry - we'll get there in the end!

      I bet you're getting really excited with your departure to Africa approaching fast.

      Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
  15. Espectacular reportaje, me han gustado mucho todas las fotos y vídeos, y en especial las del Bombycilla garrulus, una especie que me fascina y en mi país es una auténtica rareza. Enhorabuena Richard, un fuerte abrazo desde el norte de España.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Germán. Hemos tenido mucha suerte en el Reino Unido con Bombycilla garrulus este invierno. Ojalá pudiera tomarme más tiempo para ir a fotografiarlos, ya que hay un grupo de ellos a menos de 10 km de nuestra casa.

      Mis mejores deseos desde un Reino Unido frío pero soleado - - - Richard

      Delete
  16. Beautiful in the your garden, wonderful. The Waxwings are the my favourites, but, they are the best Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. Watching Waxwings is always exciting! Take good care - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.