Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Sunday 28 January 2024

The Third Week of January

My last blog post was a bit of a marathon event, so I am trying to keep it down to a shorter length by just covering one week.

Monday, 15th January          Garden  :  Peggs Green

At this time, we were still being visited by the Pied Wagtails, although their visits now seem to have dried up. They tended to arrive as a pair, the female of which had a distinctly black crown. However, we also had a grey-headed female visiting occasionally, as on this day.

Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii) (female) - our garden
The weather brightened up in the afternoon, and I went to have another session with the relatively local Waxwings. I didn't fare much better than on my previous visit to this location. I'd been hoping to get some side-on shots clearly showing the yellow tips to the primaries and the red appendages on the secondaries, but failed on this count. I think that these were probably a group of 1st year birds (maybe females?), which would explain my failure.

This will probably be my last experience with Waxwings this winter, so here are a few more shots than usual!









Bohenian Waxwing (Bombycilla garrulus) - Peggs Green
I was rather pleased by the fanned tail-feathers in that last shot.

Tuesday, 16th January          Garden

The female Siskin has become a regular visitor to the garden, but I guess she'll be gone when the weather improves. On this day she obliged by spending a little time just a few metres from my study window.

Siskin (Spinus spinus) (female) - our garden

Wednesday, 17th January          Garden

It was a good day for bird sightings in the garden but, sadly, I failed to get a shot of the briefly visiting Grey Wagtail.

Here are a few shots of some of our other visitors that day, all taken from my study window.

Stock Dove (Columba oenas) - our garden

Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus) - our garden

Siskin (Spinus spinus) (female) - our garden


The Pied Wagtail I photographed this day was the female with the black crown to her head, usually accompanied by the male.

Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii) (female) - our garden
Thursday, 18th January          Garden

A female Blackcap has recently become a frequent visitor to the garden, but remains rather elusive photographically. This day, I caught her out in the open, but not well posed or in a photogenic location.

Blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla) (female) - our garden

Starlings are now starting to appear in the garden on an almost daily basis, but only in small numbers.

Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) - our garden
Friday, 19th January          Garden

The only bird photographed this day was a Greenfinch on a frosty morning. Greenfinches went through a really hard time a few decades ago, due to trichomonosis, a parasite-induced disease that prevents the birds from feeding properly. Just recently, however, they seem to be bouncing back and we are seeing greater numbers than I recall from any previous years.

Greenfinch (Chloris chloris) (male) - our garden
Saturday, 20th January          Garden

An exciting start to the day was given by our second visit of the winter by a Redwing. Sadly, only a single record shot was obtained, as it departed as soon as I managed to get to my camera.

Redwing (Turdus iliacus) - our garden
We have seen little of the Sparrowhawk of late, but it did put in an appearance this day. It departed without succeeding in taking prey from our garden.

Sparrowhawk (Accipiter nisus) (male) - our garden
Sunday, 21st January          Garden

Nothing was photographed this day, but we did end up with a healthy total of 22 bird species seen visiting the garden during the week.

 

I expect that my next blog post, featuring the remainder of the January observations, to be in about a week's time. In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature. Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard


24 comments:

  1. The photos of the Waxwing (Bombycilla garrulus) are breathtaking! Those taken from below clearly show the very colorful rear plumage: I want the same ones at home!!!!! Thank you for sharing and see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Philfff. If I could send a Waxwing your way, I'd be pleased to do so - but I'd be asking you to return it when you had finished with it! Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Not hard to understand that you want to indulge us with photographs of the waxwings, Richard - exceptional birds that you don't see often. Gorgeous pictures of the Sparrowhawk too. If ever a bird looked in peak condition this is it. And your picture of the Stock Dove reminds me what a really handsome bird it is. All in all a great selection. Best wishes to you and Lindsay - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably spend far too much time being distracted by what is happening in our garden, David, but it has been a major factor in helping me retain some element of sanity over the past few years - although some may question the level of its efficacy!

      Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Pipits, Wagtails and Waxwings - oh, my!

    What a really lovely collection of images to enjoy today. Thank you for not overlooking "common" subjects such as the starling and dove. They are, for me, uncommonly beautiful.

    Your Sparrowhawk seems to be auditioning for a starring role in a raptor documentary. Excellent photographs!

    It's hard to believe January is almost history. Gini and I have been blessed with good health and exciting (to us) explorations. We both hope Lindsay's issues will be resolved sooner than later and you are both in our thoughts as we look forward to a new week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure where the 'Pipits' bit came in Wally. I do not recall ever having a Pipit in the garden!

      Thank you for your kind thoughts. We are hoping that Lindsay's main issues will be resolved inside the next month and then it will just be a case of her waiting for a hip replacement. In the meantime, we are both holding up quite well.

      Best wishes to you and Gini - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. Brain said: "Siskins".
      Fingers said: "Pipits".

      Delete
  4. Some visitors to your garden to cause me some envy, Redpoll, Siskin, Blackcap, and even the Greenfinch which is only a little more often to our garden the rest. You also had some brilliant exposure to the Waxwing.

    All things considered, I hope all is well Richard.

    Kind Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Greenfinch do seem to be doing exceptionally well here, Pete, we are currently getting up to six at a time visiting, with four on most days.

      We're successfully keeping our heads above water here, thank you, and the future looks brighter than it has been recently.

      Best wishes to you and KT - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Delightful photos Richard.

    We have to make the most of this glorious Waxwing winter. I did see a small Waxwing flock in London on Boxing Day, though sadly when I returned there a week or so later to show my partner, they had disappeared 30 minutes before we arrived & didn't return in the two hours we waited.

    I haven't managed any Blackcaps yet, though often get one in the garden during the winter period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Neil. I have twice had the 'disappearing Waxwing' experience this winter, and so totally sympathise with your 'just missed' visit. They are still around in the county, but I don't think I'll get another session with them this winter.

      We still have the female Blackcap visiting, but her visits are getting less frequent and I haven't seen her yet today. I was hoping that she'd bring along a mate.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Beautiful photos Richard. I like very much the sparrowhank in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too like the Sparrowhawk in our garden, Caroline, but not too often! My wife is of a different opinion.

      Best wishes - take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Hello Richard,
    You did a great job of photographing the waxwings between the branches, very beautiful birds, the blackcap is also great and finally the sparrowhawk is always nice to look at.
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement, Frank. The Blackcap was a daily visitor for a couple of weeks or more but, sadly, has not been seen for the past three days.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Great pictures especially of the Waxwings, a bird I have yet to see unfortunately so will have to make do with your pics.
    The Sparrowhawk looks a beauty, lucky you.

    Ian Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit, Ian, and your kind words. I am, of course, aware of you through your regular visits to Pete's blog, and am very envious of the sightings that you both manage in your area. Our own area is very barren of birds in comparison. We do, however, manage to do quite well with garden birds - probably because we put a lot of resources into it!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hi Richard... Awesome images of Waxwings and Sparrowhawk... Well-done... Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your endorsement of my photographic efforts is very much appriciated, Ana, as your own photography sets the standards that I aspire to - thank you!

      My best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Me encantaron todas las fotografías y a todas las aves las veo preciosas. Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Teresa, te llegará un abrazo también. Mis mejores deseos - mantente a salvo - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. Nice waxwing shots. a bird that never seems to be in the range of my camera. Take care.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waxwings are a bit difficult to find unless it happens to be one of the good years for them, Mike, maybe every five or six years. When they do arrive, I usually have to travel to see them, but we did once have them about 60 yards down the road from us - got my best shots ever then!

      Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.