Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Sunday 31 January 2010

Cannock Chase for Crossbills on 28th January, 2010

I went to Cannock Chase to try and find some Crossbills. It was bright and sunny when I set off, but had turned dull and grey by the time I got there so, photographically, the day was not good, but this is a brilliant area to visit for birds.

On the way there, this Common Buzzard was on a pole beside the road.

I parked beside the Army Cadet buildings, and walked along the designated cycle track to Abrahams Valley. I found Crossbills after about an hour's walking and seeing virtually no birds at all. They were by cycle track marker post No. 151. They stayed high in the trees, and in the poor light and difficult tree structure only record shots were possible, but I publish a selection here as I would not be surprised if I never got another opportunity to see and photograph these superb birds. Having seen few other birds until this point, this particular spot seemd to attract many, with tits and finches around, plus GS Woodpecker and Tree Creeper.






Common Crossbill



Treecreeper

Great Spotted Woodpecker (female)

From Abrahams Valley, I moved on to the feeding station near Coppice Hill. The light was now pretty grim, and most of my shooting was at ISO 800 and at very slow speeds, so the results were very grainy. However, the birds here were brilliant and I set my hide up beside the car. As well as birds, there were deer, which I believe were Sika Deer, but please let me know if you think otherwise.

Coal Tit


Blue Tit



Yellowhammer (male)

Long-tailed tit


Nuthatch



Fallow Deer (?)

1 comment:

  1. Great set of pictures. Your deer I would say is Fallow.

    ReplyDelete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.