Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Monday 4 January 2010

To Attenborough for Bitterns on 4th January, 2010

I went to Attenborough Nature Reserve today, to see if I could see a Bittern. Thanks to people already there, I quickly saw the first (a 'lifer' for me - I've only heard them before!). I did not have to wait long before a second bird came out of the reeds, hopped over the fence, and walked along the ice to close by the first. Eventually it wandered off again and then flew into the distant left. Soon, what was probably a third bird was spotted much closer to us (although we had lost sight of the first bird by then). However, this kept itself hidden in the reeds. Just as I was about to leave, another bird was seen on the very far side of the water. All the distances were much too far for my lens to do anything sensible with, so the pics are strictly 'record' shots, but it was nice to get two Bitterns in one picture - I promise you it is there, but you will almost certainly have to double-click the picture in order to stand a chance of finding it!

The day, for me, was not lost photographically, as the local Ruddy Shelduck was obligingly located.



Ruddy Shelduck (female?)

Bittern (2nd bird hops onto fence)

Bitterns (1st & 2nd birds - 1st bird at end of arrow!)


Bittern (2nd bird)

Bittern (probable 3rd bird)

Bittern (probable 4th bird)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.