Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Monday 19 April 2010

Incoming Warblers - on 19th April, 2010

Today I went off to Claymills, near Burton upon Trent, for another of Dave Scattergood's excellent birdwalks which he does on behalf of East Staffordshire Council. I miss-judged the time and arrived three quarters of an hour early, so took a short walk along the canal bank. I soon found several Willow Tit (probably up to six, but I had four in view at one time) Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff were also around. This was to turn out to be a bumper day for warblers!


Willow Tit


Willow Warbler

At 10.00 Dave arrived to lead the group, and after a small diversion to try and see the Willow Tits (which had gone!), Dave took us off on a circular walk for about two and a half hours. Dave found us (amongst other things) Blackcap, Sand Martin, Gadwall, Oystercatcher, Lapwing, Whitethroat and Lesser Whitethroat (these last two were a 'first of the year' for many - and the Lesser was a 'lifer' for me - hence me publishing poor 'record' shots) plus Comma buttefly. It was, not, however, a day for good photography, with many of the birds being distant or elusive! I seem to have several shots of birds departing!

Mistle Thrush


Whitethroat


Lesser Whitethroat

After Claymills, I set off for Willington Gravel Pits - somewhere I've only been a couple of times before. I arrived to find three birders straining to see a Lesser Whitethroat in the hedge. Further on there were a couple of male Blackcaps, but it had clouded over by now, and my photos were pretty grim. There was also a distant Treecreeper ('record' shot below). On arrival at the third platform, the very distant Whimbrel was pointed out to me by one of the local birders (they really are a very friendly, and amusing, bunch of guys here - thank you). Goosander were also seen (also very distantly). A few Orange Tip butterflies and another Comma were around, but not photographed. On the way back to my car, I did manage a few shots of Blackcap and Chiffchaff (the specks in the first Chiffchaff image are mozzies, which were also out in force!).

Treecreeper


Chiffchaff


Blackcap (male)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.