Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Wednesday 4 May 2022

April Local Visits - 2022

To give my reader(s?) a break from repetition of my garden birds (and other wildlife), I am offering an account of a few local places I visited during April. All my outings, for various reasons, were at the back end of the month, and partly inspired by wanting to check if any damselflies or dragonflies had emerged - if they had, I didn't see them!

Thursday, 21st April              Saltersford Valley Country Park

A morning hospital visit in Burton on Trent had me wanting to get out and stretch my legs in the afternoon, so I headed for Saltersford Valley CP. 

Soon after entering the site, I found my first Speckled Wood butterfly of the year.

Speckled Wood (Pararge aegeria) - Saltersford Valley CP

I saw several more of this species during the visit, and it was good to see them doing well.

Saltersford Valley CP is centred on flashes caused by the subsidence of disused coal mines. One of the two lakes is fed by what, at first glance, appears to be a spring. However, it seems that it might be water being pushed up from flooded mines with some sort of polution, as the water emitted is stained a rusty orange colour and this permeates the major portion of the lake. It does not, however, appear to be detrimental to wildlife, as birds and insects seem to thrive here. My next image shows the colour of the water.

Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus) - Saltersford Valley CP
Also on the lake were a pair of Coot with two young in tow, but I did not get any sensible photos.

The only other thing of interest photographed was a hoverfly species that I do not recall seeing before. You can tell it's a male because the eyes meet in the middle - in the female, they are well separated. 

hoverfly (Myathreopa florea) (male) - Saltersford Valley CP
Saturday, 23rd April                       Saltersford Valley Country Park ; Pastures Lane

I returned to Saltersford Valley CP on this day, but this time, rather than park in the Saltersford Valley CP car park, I parked in the Oakthorpe Colliery car park and took a public footpath to Saltersford Valley CP. This time there was rather more to see.

At the start of the boardwalk was this flower, which I believe to be Cuckooflower.

Cuckooflower (Cardamine pratensis) - Saltersford Valley CP
Along the boardwalk, I found a Canada Goose closely watching me as it lay on a nest incubating eggs.

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) - Saltersford Valley CP
Towards the far end of the site, my eye was taken by what I at first thought was a wasp species, but now believe to  be Nomada lathburiana - a cuckoo bee.

cuckoo bee (Nomada lathburiana) - Saltersford Valley CP
I saw a few more butterfly species, which was encouraging.

Peacock (Aglais io) - Saltersford Valley CP
Green-veined White (Pieris napi) (male) - Saltersford Valley CP

Speckled Wood (Pararge aegeria) - Saltersford Valley CP
I was pleased to see that the Coots still had their two young, one of which is shown in the second image below.


Coot (Fulica atra) - Saltersford Valley CP
I took a different return route to my car, passing along Pastures Lane, which is a roughly-surfaced road to Pastures Farm. At one point, a reasonably sized lake is about 150 metres to the north west of the lane. The head of a breeding-plumaged male Cormorant was just visible over the brow of the interevening pasture. I do like Cormorants in this statae of plumage!

Cormorant (Phalacrocorax carbo) (male - breeding plumage) from Pastures Lane
Further along the lane, I photographed a Small Tortoiseshell butterfly. By its tattiness, I guess this is one that overwintered somewhere.

Small Tortoiseshell (Aglais urticae) - Pastures Lane
Monday, 25th April                 Heather Lake

Heather Lake is another of my favourite dragonfly spots, but is rarely interesting for birds, although I did once have the pleasure of encountering a Spotted Flycatcher here.

An Orange-tip butterfly, with the orange tips just detectable through the wings showing it to be a male, sat patiently while I photographed it.

Orange-tip (Anthocharis cardamines) (male) - Heather Lake
At one point, where there is a narrow path between hedge and water, there were some noises on the path ahead of me. I waited and eventually was approached by a lady with push-chair and child, who informed me that there was a Moorhen nest with eggs in the water just beside the path. I continued gingerly and spotted the nest which appeared to have at least six eggs in it. The Moorhen was way out in the lake, presumably having been frightened off the nest by woman and noisy child.

Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) (nest + eggs) - Heather Lake
Further round the lake, a furry creature ran across the path just a metre or so in front of me and plopped into the lake. My immediate thought was Water Vole, but when I looked at the only shot I managed to grab, I came to the conclusion that it was a juvenile Brown Rat! Please tell me if I am wrong.

Brown Rat (Rattus norvegicus) (juvenile) - Heather Lake
Having passed once round the lake and seen little, I decided to cover totally new ground for me by continuing on the footpath beyond the lake, including taking a side branch too. Little of great interest was seen, although it was good to explore, but I did get a shot of a Small Totroiseshell in better condition.

Small Tortoiseshell (Aglais urticae) -beyond Heather Lake
I came back to the lake, keeping clear of the side which had the Moorhen nest, and found a Moorhen close to me, which beat a hasty retreat.

Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) - Heather Lake
Before reaching my car, I spotted a patch of Cowslips a couple of which had bright orange-red flowers, rather than the creamy yellow that is normal for this species. You can just see the colour of the yellow ones in the top right corner.

Cowslip
Cowslip - near Heather Lake
Thursday, 28th April              Hicks Lodge

On this day, I parked at Oakthorpe Colliery car park and walked into Hicks Lodge. Beside the path in, there was a Greylag Goose quite close but on the other side of a hedge. I managed to poke my lens between the branches and get a few shots.

Greylag Goose (Anser anser) - Hicks Lodge
Further on, a Greylag flew overhead.

Greylag Goose (Anser anser) - Hicks Lodge
There were Cowslips in flower here too, so I took some shots of ones in the usual colour!

Cowslip (Primula veris) - Hicks Lodge
As I started down the west side of the main lake, a Moorhen trundled across the grass in front of me.

Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) - Hicks Lodge
I noticed a small wader fly up from the edge of the lake and head off into the far distance, so I proceeded with stealthy caution. I then briefly spotted a Common Sandpiper of which I only managed to get a shot of its backside before it disappeared. I did, however, manage a shot of the Pied Wagtail that was with it.

Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii) (male) - Hicks Lodge
I carried on past the end of the lake, and then turned left to gain a path that heads to a smaller lake which lies to the north west of the main lake.

The lake only seemed to hold a Coot and a Little Grebe. I spent nearly half an hour hiding behind a bush, hoping the Little Grebe would come closer, but it didn't.

Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) - Hicks Lodge
Coot (Fulica atra) -Hicks Lodge
Back at the main lake, I managed to focus on a Reed Bunting that was lurking in the back of a bush.
 
Reed Bunting (Emberiza schoeniclus) (female) - Hicks Lodge
I first saw and photographed a Bar-headed Goose at Hicks Lodge in 2018. I have seen and photographed (presumably) the same bird every year since then except in 2021. I have no doubt that this bird is an escape from somewhere, although it is not ringed. I do, nevertheless, find it an attractive bird, and was delighted to see it on this day.


Bar-headed Goose (Anser indicus) - Hicks Lodge
After a session photographing the goose, I was delighted to manage a shot of a fly-past Common Sandpiper.
 
Common Sandpiper (Actitis hypoleucos) - Hicks Lodge
As I started heading back to my car, a group of Canada Geese flew over.
 
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) - Hicks Lodge
Back at the car at Oakthorpe Colliery, while I sorted myself out, a female Common Pheasant hove into view. I couldn't help but think that this poor creature was here because someone bred it so that it could be shot at by some cretin with a gun! Such a beautiful bird!
 
Common Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) (female) - Oakthorpe Colliery
Friday, 29th April                  Saltersford Valley CP
 
A Quick visit to Saltersford Valley CP was not very productive, although I did have the good fortune to bump into an old friend, Mick Smith - it was great to have a chat. I did take some shots of a relatively common hoverfly. This one was a female - eyes well-separated.
 
hoverfly (Eristalis pertinax) (female) - Saltersford Valley CP
My greatest excitement was at finding a pair of mating Dark-edged Bee-fly. I am rather fond of this species, but have never seen them mating before. At first, I thought it was a rather long insect flying around. Fortunately they settled and I managed a few photos.
 
Dark-edged Bee-fly (Bombylius major) (male+female) - Saltersford Valley CP
Again, I found a Reed Bunting in a bush, but this one was a bit more visible.
 
Reed Bunting (Emberiza schoeniclus) (male) -Saltersford Valley CP
Saturday, 30th April               Heather Lake
 
I had time for a brief late-morning return to Heather Lake on this day.  Sadly, I found the remains of the Moorhen nest abandoned, with no eggs visible. I suspect that someone had allowed their dog to enter the water here (a common practice at this location).

I only photographed a Moorhen and, on my way back to the car, a distant Wren.

Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) - Heather Lake
Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes) - Heather Lake
That brings me to  the end of the month of April. May has got off to a slightly slower start, but my next blog post will almost certainly cover my April garden observations, and will appear in about a week's time from the date of this blog post. In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature.
 
Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard
 
 

18 comments:

  1. Another enjoyable peruse through your April Local Visits Richard. As the occasional diversion from birds, I'm slowly developing an interest in Bees, Hoverflies and such. For example, I have seen and photographed the Eristalis pertinax, but I don't think I would have known the Dark-edged Bee-fly. I was intrigued by the variation of the Cowslip, and liked your image of the in-flight Common Sandpiper.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted to know you enjoyed it, Pete. I'm still very weak on bee ID, although I have got a couple of field guides on them - I just don't seem to find the time to get my head around the subject. I do find myself more interested in hoverflies, and the WildGuides 'Britain's Hoverflies' is excellent. My favourite resource for other insects, however, is the Naturespot website. It is primarily about Leicestershire wildlife, but much of what is there relates to the rest of UK. If you're not aware of the site, you can find it here :- https://www.naturespot.org.uk.

      Thank you again - my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. That Bar-headed Goose is spectacular. I too have seen them as escapes from wildfowl collections and would love to see them in their natural habitat. Seems to me you had many highlights in April, Richard, and I agree with Pete above that the shot of the Common Sandpiper in flight is very agreeable. I also was struck by the Moorhen's nest with eggs. I am always especially satisfied if I find active nests. Speaking of which, we now have an Eastern Bluebird at SpruceHaven incubating a clutch of five eggs. Best wishes to you and Lindsay. David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am I correct in thinking, David, that Bar-headed Geese in their natural habitats migrate across the Himalayas and are the highest flying birds? Or am I confusing them with another species?

      Sadly, not only has that Moorhen nest been abandonned, with no sign of any young, but the Canada Goose nest nest that features earlier in this post has also been abandonned - again with no sign of young, or the adults for that matter!

      Delighted to hear of the Eastern Bluebird on eggs at Sprucehaven.

      Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. Hi Richard: You are correct about the Bar-headed Geese flying over the Himalayas. It boggles the mind, doesn't it?

      Delete
  3. Awesome sightings and photos! It's still cold here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. I'm pleased to say it is getting warmer here. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Hello Richard, what a great variety of birds, butterflies and insects. What caught my attention this time was the mating of the Dark-edged Bee-flies. These cratures are normaly so fast you hardly are able to take a photo of them. Seeing them mating is unique and a opportunaty to take a photo of them.
    Warm regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Roos, that the Dark-edged Bee-fly can be quite difficult to photograph.They do hover sometimes for a split second, but you need good light in order to get the high shutter speed to freeze the wing movement as their wings move so fast. I was lucky that this pair decided to settle on the leaf in order to take their pleasure! My wish is to find the rarer Dotted Bee-fly.

      My very best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. There I was, innocently sipping the last of the morning coffee, and - BAM! Springtime exploded all over my computer monitor!

    Birds, bees, butterflies, blooms, chicks, eggs - my goodness!

    Not only are we happy to see you have been able to get out and about, we are overjoyed you have shared your April explorations with us!

    The Bee-flies image is really spectacular. I really like the composition showing the Wren in its typical habitat. Close-ups are great, but seeing where the birds live is becoming more and more appealing to me.

    Gini and I hope you and Lindsay have a peaceful weekend and we look forward to May's adventures. (Yours as well as ours!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wally, for your appreciation. I too am starting to lean in the direction of showing creatures with their environment. For me though, it is not an easy choice as I find that most of the wildlife that I photograph is so fascinating that I want to see their every detail. Maybe I need to change my photography to a 'zoom in - zoom out' style to get the best of both worlds.

      We have our daughter and granddaughter coming for tea tomorrow, which will be a weekend highlight. We're hoping for a bit more sun and warmth soon as I've yet to find my first dragon of the year, but trying almost daily!

      Best wishes to you both - make the most of your pre-humid times - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Beautiful series Richard, Bar-headed Goose, Bee-flies, varied butterflies, and the Common Sandpiper. Everyone are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. I was very pleased to get that sandpiper shot as they fly very quickly and directly. This was the only frame of three that was, just about, in focus!

      Stay safe - - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Hello Richard
    Knowing all the names of the bees is superpowers, when I'm standing at my insect hotel and watching the hustle and bustle, I don't know a name.. hahaha but it's a fascination to watch how the bees work..
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank. I can see that your fabulous insect hotel is giving you a bit of a headache! Bees can be very hard to identify - but you created the problem !! ;-}. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Excellent selection Richard, Thats about one years work were I live. Take care.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words of approval, Mike - very much appreciated. Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.