Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Wednesday 19 October 2022

Scilly Sojourns, Sept/Oct, 2022, Pt.1 - 25th to 27th September

Lindsay and I, together with our daughter Melanie, and granddaughter Georgie, had another highly enjoyable stay on the island of St Marys, Isles of Scilly, at the end of September through to the beginning of October. Here is Pt.1 of my account of this stay.

Sunday, 25th September                 Ashby de la Zouch to Hayle, Cornwall

We left home at 10.30, and the journey from to Hayle, in Cornwall, was an uneventful one. It took just under 6 hours, with comfort stops and a picnic lunch en route.

Check-in at the Premier Inn was swift, and our room was comfortable and spacious. A message from Melanie to say that she and Georgie would be arriving at about 18.30 gave me time for a quick visit to the part of the Hayle Estuary known as Copperhouse Pool. Close to the car park was a Herring Gull, and a little further on, at a distance, I saw Wigeon, a Curlew, and a Little Egret.
 
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) - Copperhouse Pool, Hayle
Wigeon (Mareca penelope) - Copperhouse Pool, Hayle
Curlew (Numenius arquata) - Copperhouse Pool, Hayle
Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) - Copperhouse Pool, Hayle
The call of a Curlew alerted me to another of the species that was departing on the far side of the pool.
 
Curlew (Numenius arquata) - Copperhouse Pool, Hayle
I missed getting shots of two Grey Wagtail that were close to the path, but a Rock Pipit was somewhat more obliging, although still difficult to photograph as, with the light and surrounding vegetation, it was hard to find in the viewfinder!
 
Rock Pipit (Anthus petrosus) - Copperhouse Pool, Hayle
Ahead of me, I  was disappointed to see one of a group of four youngsters go over the wall to the water's edge and throw a stone at the large group of Canada Geese that were there. They also put up a wader that I was not able to identify, and which disappeared into the distance. At my age, I  considered it wise not to confront them, however.
 
A Black-headed Gull arrived after the youngsters had left the area.

Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) - Copperhouse Pool, Hayle
Further on, from the road, I did get some very close views of a Curlew that was very confiding.
 

Curlew (Numenius arquata) - Copperhouse Pool, Hayle
On my way back to the car, I was pleased to see that the Canada Geese had returned, so here are a few of them (for David).
 

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) - Copperhouse Pool, Hayle
That night, for the sake of convenience and lack of appetite, Lindsay and I  had our evening meal at the Scottish restaurant  (McDonald's!). 

We turned in early at 21.30 feeling rather tired after a long car journey.
 
Monday, 26th September               Hayle to Land's End to Isles of Scilly
 
We had a gentle start to the day as our flight was not until 12.20. With the airport being only 30 minutes away, and an 11.30 check in time, we had time to kill before leaving our overnight accommodation.  I attempted a walk up the country lane on which the hotel is located but, with no verges and rather a lot of fast traffic, I  soon felt uncomfortable about the safety of this and gave up, only photographing a very vocal Rook that seemed totally unperturbed by my presence.
 
Rook (Corvus frugilegus) - Carwin Rise, Hayle
The weather forecast was for sunny spells, but with strong winds, and we were a little concerned as to whether our flight would be cancelled, but all went ahead as scheduled, and we landed on St Mary's, Isles of Scilly, just 20 minutes later.

Having reached our accommodation and settled ourselves in, Melanie and I went off to the Co-op to buy some immediate provisions for lunch, after which I went for a walk to see what I could find. My walk took me along the sea front of Littleporth and Porthcressa, up the hill to Buzza Tower, along King Edward's Road to Peninnis Head and back down the western side of Peninnis to Porthcressa and Littleporth. 

Before I left, I couldn't resist taking a shot of the Starlings lined up on the railings at the bottom of the property's garden.
 
Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) - from the house, Littleporth
As I left for my walk, I looked out for birds on the beach below the property. I tend to have great difficulty in trying to separate White Wagtail from Pied Wagtail, and I think that these may now have been lumped together anyway. I believe this to be Pied Wagtail as it seems to have extensive grey on the flanks, but please let me know if you disagree.
 
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba) - Littleporth
I saw very little for the first nine tenths of this walk, only photographing some relatively mundane items, just to exercise my shutter finger. One item, though, was a little disturbing - it appeared to be the front of the skull of a Gannet and possibly a victim of Avian Influenza. It looks as if that might be an eyeball hanging out, but I wasn't going to get any closer to investigate.
 
remains of Gannet (Morus bassanus) - Porthcressa
There was disappointingly little seen along King Edward's Road on the way to Peninnis Head, and I only photographed one of the Rabbits in a field that had withered Amaryllis belladonna at the far side. Rabbits are plentiful on St Marys.
 
Rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus) - from King Edward's Road
Nothing was seen on Peninnis Head, where it was very windy. But from the head, I saw a group of five Sandwich Terns and three Mediterranean Gulls.
 
Mediterranean Gull (Ichthyaetus melanocephalus) + Sandwich Tern (Thalasseus sandvicensis) - from Peninnis Head
Mediterranean Gull (Ichthyaetus melanocephalus) - from Peninnis Head
Nearly back at base I found some interest in a good number of Ivy Bees, on Ivy, by the allotments at the eastern end of Porthcressa. This was, until relatively recently, a quite rare bee, being first recorded in UK in 2001, but is now well-established on the Isles of Scilly and is rapidly spreading northward in the southern half of UK.
 
Ivy Bee (Colletes hederae) - by Porthcressa allotments
A little further on I saw a Hummingbird Hawkmoth, but failed to get any photos. 

Arriving at the eastern end of Porthcressa beach, I  noticed a fellow with a camera photographing a Song Thrush. While we chatted, I spotted a bird fly in and land relatively close. It was a Linnet, which is a common bird in these parts, but this one was unbelievably confiding and flew to within a about 3 metres of us! It was intent on feeding on dandelion seed.
 

Linnet (Linaria cannabina) - Porthcressa
I had another pleasant encounter when I reached Littleporth as a Stonechat was present, and I  also took some shots of a wagtail.
 
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba) - Littleporth

Stonechat (Saxicola rubicola) (female) - Littleporth
That evening, Melanie and I went out to the Co-op to collect our click-and-collect order of the main provisions for the week. 

The rest of the evening was spent writing up notes before another early night.
 
Tuesday,  27th September                Higher Moors ; Carreg Dhu Gardens ; Newford Ponds

This was never going to be a brilliant day as the weather forecast was for heavy rain for most of the day and winds of between 30 and 42 miles per hour. 

My first duty for the day was to collect the buggy that we'd hired for the remaining six days of the break, after which I  had a late breakfast. 

In the late morning, a let-up in the rain coincided with a report of two Whimbrel at Porthcressa, which is within easy walking distance of our accommodation. I set off to try and find these, but had no success. If one sees a Phalacrocoracid on the Scillies, it tends to be a Shag, rather than a Cormorant. This one, out in the bay at Porthcressa, seems to have the head markings resembling those of a Shag (although my photo is not clear in this respect), but lacks the steep forehead usually apparent in that species. I am, therefore, a little unsure of its ID, but think Shag. 
 
Shag? (Phalacrocorax aristotelis) - Porthcressa
 I saw little else on this brief excursion. However, when I  was within ten metres of the property and had stopped to talk to a fellow birder, he spotted the two Whimbrel flying across the bay, and settling on the rocks on the Garrison side of the bay. I only managed shots that were not even good enough to count as record shots. The image berlow is hevily cropped. Can you spot them?
 
Whimbrel (Numenius phaeopus) - Littleporth
If you missed them, you should look at that large vaguely heart-shaped rock. There's one just above the 'v' at the top of the rock, and one just below the very bottom of the right-hand 'lobe'.
 
There was another break in the rain after lunch and I took the buggy to Higher Moors. The hides looking over Porthhellick Pool only produced Moorhen, Coot, and Mallard. Only a pair of wagtails (glimpsed in flight and not identified) was seen by the beach.
 
Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) (juvenile) - Porth Hellick Pool
With the area so unproductive, I left and headed to Carreg Dhu Gardens in the hope of finding Firecrest and maybe a flycatcher of some sort, as both Pied and Spotted Flycatcher had been reported on the islands. Carreg Dhu Gardens is a sheltered area of tranquility, containing some wonderful plants and is a haven for migrating birds in inclement weather. It seems, however, that none had found the gardens on this occasion. I did photograph a couple of flowers.
 
Brugmansia sp.  - Carreg Dhu Gardens
Amaryllis belladonna - Garreg Dhu Gardens
I'd only been in the gardens for about ten minutes, and not seen any birds, when I  got a call from Lindsay to ask if I could come back with the buggy as Georgie (who is primarily nocturnal) was up and wanting to go out for an explore. The plan was that they'd then drop me back at where I was and pick me up again later. This all fell apart, however, when I twisted my back getting out of the buggy, and ended up in extreme pain.

Having been medicated, and got myself in a position where I was more comfortable, the girls set off out without me. I did venture into the garden while they were gone, and was pleased to see the much-enlarged group of ducks that, for several years had been known as 'The Porthcressa Three' fly in and land on the water. These are Mallard-based domestic ducks that have become naturalised and spend much of their time on the sea at Porthcressa. Earlier in the year, I was pleased to see that they'd had young, and it seems that these young are staying with them. I only saw six in the goup on this occasion, but there was regularly a group of ten seen later in the week.

The Porthcresss Three plus Three - Littleporth
The girls came back about an hour later and told me of all the birders at Newford Ponds who were there looking for Pied Flycatcher. As I  was now only in pain, rather than agony, I set off for Newford Ponds in light rain. I got there to find just two birders present who were about to leave having seen nothing for about an hour. I stayed for around twenty minutes until the rain turned heavy and so set off back to base, having only seen Moorhen,  and very brief glimpses of two Goldcrest and a Chiffchaff.
 
Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) - Newford Ponds
Thus ended an extremely unproductive day, with nearly every birder I  met commenting on the lack of birds that day.
 
Bird-wise, the break had not got off to a very good start, and I was beginning to think I might have seen more if I had stayed in Cornwall! 

I still have photos to process, although we have been home for more than two weeks. However, for me it is a fact of life that, when the weather and light is unfavourable, many more photos are taken in the hope of being able to salvage some that are usable, and these take time to wade through and process, with more frames requiring exposure and colour-balance adjustment.

With luck and a following wind, I hope to be publishing Pt.2 of my account in just under a week's time. In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature.

Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard

12 comments:

  1. "There was magic abroad in the air" is one of the great lines from "A nightingale sang in Berkley Square" and I think this is what it must be like in the Scilly Isles for you and the whole family, Richard, since you return year after year, and have a wonderful time there whatever the weather. It's not as though it's just around the corner, either. It was a wet start this year, but I will look forward to reading more of your adventures on the enchanted isle. Best wishes to you and Lindsay. David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Isles of Scilly are one of our two favourite places on the planet, the other being the Outer Hebrides, David. We would happily move to the Scillies if we could afford to move the whole family there. However, The Outer Hebrides is a bit too remote, and bleak in the winter, for us to contemplate anything other than visits in the more temperate seasons.

      You're probably aware that it is almost certain that a Nightingale has never sung in Berkeley Square - unless it was a caged bird!

      I've just finished processing the last of the photos tonight and Pt.2 is now scheduled for release on Tuesday 25th - unless something comes and bites us on the backside as it seems to be constantly doing these days!

      Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Hello Richard :=)
    First and foremost, I hope you have completely recovered from your back injury. It's no fun to be in pain at any time, but even more so when on holiday. Your explicit account of your holiday from start to finish was so enjoyable to read about, made all the more pleasurable I'm sure, by the company of your daughter and granddaughter. Your photos are of exceptional quality. I also take a lot of photos, just in case some are better than others. I was so grateful for your kind and considerate comment on my recent post Richard. It made a whole lot of difference to my day.
    Your Copper House Pool captures of the Curlew, Canada Goose, and Rock Pipit are superb, and also
    the vocal Rook. The line of Starlings is an amusing sight, and your reference to the Scottish restaurant raised a smile. Lovely Linnet, Stonechat, and Moorhen images, and all your other wildlife images are all
    lovely. Thank you so much for a wonderful post.
    Best Wishes from your friend in Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The back is fine now, thank you Sonjia. Thankfully, it only took a couple of weeks to settle down.

      If you have enjoyed my blog post and I have brought a smile to your face I am very happy. Thank you for the encouragement.

      With my very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a really fabulous trip. I do not think I have ever seen a Curlew or a Linnet so it is interesting for me to see photos of them. I love that Amaryllis, not sure that I have ever seen that particular species. As for the Whimbrel I will have to look that up and yes I can spot them. LOL the starlings, that is so funny seeing them all in a row.

    I hope that all is well.. My very best wishes to you both and keep safe. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Amaryllis are widespread on the islands, Diane. They are grown commercially for cut flowers, but it seems that many have 'escaped into the wild', possibly with a helping hand! The same is true of other exotic flowers too. It makes the Scillies a bit of a floral paradise.

      All is relatively good here - I hope that you are both recovering well from Covid. Take good care - - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. What a gorgeous display you given us, I love the Curlew, beautiful Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. It was good to see that Curlew. I had a close encounter with a Curlew at this place in May too. My very best wishes - - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing your latest episode of Scilly Sojourns, with the vast variety to be seen on the birders paradise islands. Apparently a Pallid Swift seen there yesterday, in the area around Star Castle Hotel.

    Kind Regards Richard, and to the Peglar family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all started happening on the Scillies soon after we left, Pete. As well as the Pallid Swift, there have been other wonderful birds, including the Blackburnian Warbler - a twitch that I'd have avoided because of the huge number of people going to see it.

      Best wishes to you and KT - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.