Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Thursday 13 October 2022

The Second Half of September, 2022

Header image (while this post is current) - A View from Beacon Hill, Leicestershire

This post will cover the second half of September, up until the time of our departure for our stay on the Isles of Scilly. 

Friday, 16th September                   Beacon Hill ; Grace Dieu

Having been alerted to the presence of a Hornets' nest on Beacon Hill by on-line friend @Muttistopheles, I felt the need to go and take a look, as this place is not far from my home.

As I made my way to the location, which had been clearly described to me, it was good to see a Stonechat on a wall which led away from the path that I was on - the one that features on my header image while this post is current.

Stonechat (Saxicola torquata) (male) - Beacon Hill
I soon found the site, but the the viewing point (unless I climbed over a wall - to be avoided at my age!) was into the light, and it seems that the Hornets were not as active as when @Muttistopheles had been there. After half an hour or so, I reckoned that I'd got enough 'in the can' to give me as good as I was going to get. Here are a few shots:-

Hornet (Vespa crabro) - Beacon Hill

As I was not very familiar with this site, I had a wander around. I did not see very much else, but it was a location with plenty of promise. The highlight of my perambulations was the sighting of a Hobby flying over.

Hobby (Falco subbuteo) (male) - Beacon Hill
The previous day, at a meeting of the Blackfordby Wildlife Group, for which I serve on the committee, I was advised of a wildlife location that is close to my home but that I have never visited. This was the grounds of Grace Dieu Priory. It seemed appropriate to call in here on the way home.

The place was fascinating, the trails extensive (and easy to get lost on!), and well worth the visit although I didn't see very much on this rather brief visit. I shall return.

part of Grace Dieu Priory ruins
fly Tachina fera - Grace Dieu
The above Tachnid fly feeds on umbellifers and waterside plants, but its larvae are parasitic - mainly on caterpillars.

Saturday, 17th September              Garden ; Saltersford Valley Country Park

We were still getting a few butterflies in the garden, with Red Admiral being the most common after the combined Whites (Large and Small). I love the added intricacy of the underside of this species over the bold markings of the upperside.

Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta) - garden on 17th September, 2022
That afternoon I visited Saltersford Valley CP in the hope of finding a few dragonflies and, maybe, the odd damselfly.

Passing along the boardwalk, I found a few Common Darter dragonflies - all male.

Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (male) - Saltersford Valley CP
Round by the first 'stockaded' platform I noticed that the leaves on a tree next to the platform had been greatly eaten away, and found the culprits to be a host of small beetles. I do not know much about beetles but think that these are probably Alder Leaf Beetle - a species that is described as 'rare' in this vice-county, but sightings have mainly been close to this location.

possible Alder Leaf Beetle (Agelastica alni?) - Saltersford Valley CP
Round by the second 'stockaded' platform, a Coot was swimming nearby.

Coot (Fulica atra) - Saltersford Valley CP
On the platform itself, a pair of Common Darter were preparing to work on the next generation.

Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (male+female) - Saltersford Valley CP
Further on, by the large lake, a female Common Darter gave somewhat better views of this species.

Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (female) - Saltersford Valley CP
On the far side of this large lake, a Heron was gazing about.

Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea) - Saltersford Valley CP
On a side track, I was attempting to photogrsph hoverflies when a Migrant Hawker dragonfly flew in, and appeared to settle. I managed to find it!

hoverfly (Eristalis tenax) (female) Saltersford Valley CP
Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta) (male) - Saltersford Valley CP
On my way back to my car, a distant Buzzard drew my attention with its distinctive calls.

Common Buzzard (Buteo buteo) - Saltersford Valley CP
As I neared the car park, I stopped to photograph a fly, and another hoverfly. This hoverfly is often referred to as the Batman Hoverfly because of the markings on its thorax.

fly (Haematobosca stimulans) - Saltersford Valley CP
hoverfly (Myathropa florea) (male) - Saltersford Valley CP

Tuesday, 20th September             somewhere in Leicestershire

My previous blog post featured this day but, just for the sake of completion, I'll put another image in of the Kingfisher!

Common Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis) (male)
Wednesday, 21st September            Garden

We'd had a pair of Stock Dove visiting daily through most of the summer, but more recently it had dwindled to one, and then none, so we were delighted when one turned up on this day. Unfortunately, it did not stop for long.

Stock Dove (Columba oenas) - Garden on 21st September, 2022
Friday, 23rd September                 Garden

The Dock Bug, closely related to the shieldbugs, is relatively common, but I do not recall having seen one in our garden before. This one landed on the base of the bird bath. Unfortunately, the bright sun was at totally the wrong angle, so this is a record shot.

Dock Bug (Coreus marginatus) - Garden on 23rd September, 2022
 

This brings me to the end of this account as, two days later, we set off for the Isles of Scilly.

Hopefully, in about a week's time, I'll have processed enough photos to deliver Pt.1 of my account of our visit to the Isles of Scilly. In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature.

Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard


16 comments:

  1. Excellent second half Richard, starting with the brilliant little male Stonechat, doesn't get any better than that for me. Like the fly ID's too, and I've not yet seen a Dock Shieldbug.

    Kind Regards from Lanc's....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you know, Pete, like you, I can't resist a Stonechat. Sadly, didn't have so many this year during our stay on the Scillies.

      I rely heavily on the excellent NatureSpot web site (https://www.naturespot.org.uk/) for many of my insect IDs. Although it is primarily for Leicestershire wildlife, I know that many people further afield use it for ID purposes and general information about species.

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard.

      Delete
  2. You get a good collection of birds and bugs around you. Hornets I can do without. A couple of years back we had a nest under the tiles over our bathroom. There were a lot and knowing how I react to bee stings I did not want t find out about a hornet sting. We got a guy in to gas the nest. In doing so he managed to put a hole through our ceiling, we must have had over 100 hornets in the bathroom all gassed, there was probably a lot more that escaped in the other direction!!

    I love all your photos and IDs, I often refer to your blog when I think I have seen something that I remember seeing on your blog.

    Wishing you both all the very best. Please let me know how Lindsay gets on. Keep well, Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember your original description of your Hornet episode, Diane - an absolute nightmare of a situation. I have only ever encountered them out in the open, and never had any problems with them. This was the first time that I'd ever seen a nest and, although I was fairly close, they seemed to ignore me.

      All seems to be on track for Lindsay's forthcoming op, as explained in my separate message to you.

      Best wishes to you and Nigel - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Good morning, Richard: I was a little surprised that hornets were a sufficient attraction to warrant a special visit. Are they rare? You certainly wouldn't want to disturb them and get stung! The sighting of the Hobby would have a source of great excitement for me. I have never had a decent look at one and I remember someone describing its incredible flight proficiency to me, as it chased a bird between and around cars stalled in traffic, finally capturing its quarry. Fall continues balmy and quite pleasant for the most part, although at some point it must end. November after all is not so far away. Best wishes to Lindsay - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, David. Hornets are far from common in these parts, and it is not every year that I see one. I had never seen an active Hornet's nest before, and was interested to do so. In my experience, unless you actively upset them, they take little interest in humans. I was quite cautious on this occasion, taking care to move slowly. One time, a few years ago, I found three (it may have been more - I don't fully remember) of them in the moth trap that I'd put out in the garden. I was able to persuade each one to crawl onto something akin to a lollipop stick and transfer it onto a wall.

      I don't often see a Hobby but, if I do, it is usually hunting dragonflies and consuming them on the wing.

      We're getting the cool damp part of autumn now, and the leaves have just started turning colour this week.

      Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Hello Richard :=)

    A delightful post, with many insects that I see here, but did not know their IDs, for example the Tachinid fly, and the Batman fly are numerous in the fields. Great sighting of the Hobby, a bird I would love to see, and also the Stone Chat, which I no longer see in the north, although I have posted many that I saw in the south, they are sweet little birds and I miss them. I think I saw a Dock bug on my balcony only a few days ago, so many thanks for all the IDs.
    My best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be very disappointing for you to have lost your sightings of Stonechat with your move to the north, Sonjia. It's almost a good enough reason to move back down to the south again!

      I'm delighted to know that my ID of insects here has helped you with the ID of some of the insects that you see there! Be careful, however, as these creatures do have a habit of looking similar to other species ;-}

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Hello Richard
    Hornets are remarkably large animals, I once observed them getting tree sap from an oak tree, you can only see the size when you stand opposite them, the dragonflies are again photographed top
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Frank.

      I have never knowingly witnessed Hornets getting tree sap, but one year I did get regular visits to the garden by a Hornet that was chewing wood off a bird feeder outside my window and taking it away to build a nest. I have no idea where the nest was, but I did see a few hornets that year so suspect that it was not very far away.

      Best wishes - - - Richard.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic photos of the Common Darter, Kingfisher, Hornet and Coot. But I love them Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob, for those very kind words. I enjoyed visiting places that were local, but new to me. My very best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. A veritable bird and bug bonanza!

    I really enjoy your superb portraits of the insects. It gives me hope I may be able to someday emulate your success. Just as I was enjoying the main dish of dragons, hoverflies, herons and a hobby, you slipped in a sweet morsel for dessert - an encore of that incredible Kingfisher! Thank you!

    You not only found a smorgasbord of diverse subjects, but it also sounds as if you now have two new locations for future exploration.

    All is good on the American front. We are learning to schedule outings which are nearby our medical appointments! Two outings for the price of one trip. Life continues to be good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider your own insect portraits to be every bit as good as mine - if not better, Wally, and, unlike you, I have the privilege of being able to do my insect photography in a relaxed environment without having to keep my eyes open for Alligators while doing so!

      Yes, those two locations look promising - I just have to get myself out to them.

      Only three medical appointments between us so far this week with only one (another eye scan and injection for me) being a long-winded one.

      Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.