Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Tuesday 25 October 2022

Scilly Sojourns, Sept/Oct, 2022, Pt.2 - 28th & 29th September

Our stay on the Isles of Scilly had got o.ff to a bit of a slow start, as reported in Pt.1 of my account of our stay I am pleased to report that things picked up a bit as time went on, as noted below.

Wednesday, 28th September

I managed a relatively early breakfast,  and set off in the buggy for Carreg Dhu Gardens in the hope of finding a Firecrest. This place is known for its attractiveness to small birds on passage, and also for the exotic plants that grow in its sheltered location. I was seeing little and, once again, found myself resorting to photographing flowers, butterflies, and common birds.

This is one of many rather large flowers on a bush that was the size of a small tree.
 
Princess Flower (Pleroma urvilleanum) - Carreg Dhu Gardens
Specimens of Speckled Wood butterfly are of the subspecies insula and have markings on the wing that are more orange than the pale cream  of the nominate species. They were quite numerous when the sun was out during our stay on this occasion.
 
Speckled Wood (Parage aegeria insula) - Carreg Dhu Gardens
Here are a few of the common birds. The Chaffinches were enjoying the seeds in the pods on a tree  that I did not recognise.
 
Robin (Erithacus rubecula) - Carreg Dhu Gardens
Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs) (female) - Carreg Dhu Gardens
Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos) - Carreg Dhu Gardens
After being here for just under an hour, and seeing very little, a message came in that a Pied Flycatcher was again showing at Newford Ponds, so I  went there. 

I was at Newford Ponds for over an hour before before the Pied Flycatcher showed, but it was constantly mobile and hidden for most of the time that it was present and no photos were obtained. I also failed to get any shots of the two Goldcrest that were zooming around from time to time. 

I had a request to return to base with the buggy, and so was back by mid-day, but immediately sent out again to buy crab for lunch.

As the girls wanted the buggy that afternoon to go to 'Treasure Beach', I  hung around until they were ready to go, so that they could drop me off somewhere on their way. I chose to use this waiting time to check out what might be around on Littleporth beach, at the bottom of the garden, so that I could get back quickly when they were ready. Again I resorted to photographing common birds. The markings on the wings of this thrush lead me to believe that it is a juvenile.

Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos) (juvenile) - Littleporth
Until this year, Littleporth beach has been a quite rewarding place to watch birds, with numerous Rock Pipits, a few Pied Wagtail, frequent Stonechat, the occasional Black Redstart, and plenty of gulls and waders. However, on this visit, the beach was greatly dominated by Starlings and House Sparrows, with a few Greenfinch added in to the mix. Low tides also seemed to be lower than I'd ever witnessed here before. This did not make for easy birding or photography.
 
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) (female) - Littleporth
Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea) - Littleporth
The Scillies is famous for its wealth of sub-tropical plants that grow there. I find this one rather attractive.
 
Cape Rain-daisy (Dimorphotheca pluvialis) - Littleporth
A message had come through about a Wryneck at Deep Point Quarry, and so I got the girls to drop me off near Normandy from which it was but a short walk to Deep Point.  I was not familiar with this location and spent half an hour or so wandering around the Deep Point area trying to find the quarry. In the end I resorted to putting out a question on the WhatsApp group to ask where the quarry was. I soon got a helpful reply to say that Deep Point Quarry was not at Deep Point but was at nearby Porth Wreck.

I spent around an hour and a half here, but failed to locate the Wryneck. I was entertained by the local Stonechats and what I believe to be a Meadow Pipit. However, I'm not any good at Pipit ID so please let me know if I have found something more exotic - it seemed strange that it was perched in this way.
 
Stonechat (Saxicola rubicola) (female) - Porth Wreck
Meadow Pipit (Anthus pratensis) - Porth Wreck
A message then came through about a Wryneck between Giant's Castle and the airport runway turning circle so I set off on foot. I failed here also. As I approached the runway turning circle, the sirens were going to indicate an approaching aircraft and the closure of the path. I stopped to take a photo of the incoming plane, which was G-BUBN - an 8-seater Britten-Norman BN-2 Islander, built in 1992.
 
Britten-Norman BN-2 Islander G-BUBN - landing at St Marys
After the plane had landed, the sirens ceased and the path was opened. I stopped to have a brief chat with someone coming in the opposite direction and was then about to continue when the sirens started again, forcing me to  stay put. This time it was G-BIHO -  a 19-seat De Havilland DHC-6 Twin Otter which entered service in 1981. I have never been nearer to a landing aircraft than I was on this occasion! 
 
De Havilland DHC-6 Twin Otter G-BIHO - landing at St Marys
As I approached Porth Minick, I managed a few poor shots of a Wren and a Stonechat.
 
Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes) - near Porth Minick
Stonechat (Saxicola rubicola) (female) -near Porth Minick
My walk ended at Old Town, where the girls kindly came to pick me up and take me back to base.

It had been another relatively unproductive day, but any day on the Isles of Scilly is a bonus!

Thursday, 29th September

The day started rather cold and windy, although I didn't record the temperature or wind speed, and continued that way, with sunny spells and a couple of very light and short showers of rain.

After breakfast, I took a stroll along the sea front, stopping to photograph a few birds on Littleporth and Porthcressa beaches.
 
White Wagtail (Motacilla alba) - Littleporth
Rock Pipit (Anthus petrosus) - Littleporth
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) - Porthcressa
Rock Pipit (Anthus petrosus) -Porthcressa
I then continued up the path to Buzza Tower, stopping to look at the entrance grave (an ancient burial site) near the tower. In all my visits to the Scillies, I'd never been to look at this.  It was far from spectacular, however, but the view from here was! That's the entrance grave in the foreground.

View from Buzza Hill and Entrance Grave
I then headed towards Old Town, stopping to move from the pavement what I believe to be the caterpillar of a Ruby Tiger moth. I'm not sure that it was healthy as it seemed somewhat torpid.
 
Ruby Tiger (Phragmatobia fuliginosa) (larva) - near Old Town
I took a diversion into Old Town churchyard to see if I could find stick insects, but failed.

Heading towards Lower Moors, I came across the IoS Wildlife Trust team at the entrance to the reserve, preparing to do some work around the two hides on the reserve. I hurried ahead of them, hoping to see some birds before the disturbance that they would create. I arrived at the ISBG hide to find a good-sized group of mini-rangers in action. This is a marvellous initiative where pre-school children (under fives) are introduced to wildlife and get involved with maintenance work. On this occasion they were tidying the hides, armed with dustpans and brushes. I thanked them, and their supervisors, enthusiastically. I only saw Mallards and a presumed domestic escape before a message to say that the Wryneck was being seen at Porth Wreck again. 

A quick call to the girls at base had them come along with the buggy and transport me to a near access point for the Wryneck location.

I arrived to find a gentleman who had seen the bird earlier, still on site. He explained where the bird had been seen, and how it had disappeared behind a large rock and he'd not seen it again. I stayed for about an hour, before deciding to move on, having not seen the bird. The visit was not totally wasted, however, as it is always a delight to watch Stonechat, and a fly-over bird had me scratching my head for a long while as I originally thought 'Kestrel' then realised that it had been flying without any tendency to hover, was rather pale and sparsely marked under the wings, and had quite a pronounced dark 'moustache'. I, eventually, came back to my original ID.

Stonechat (Saxicola rubicola) (male) - Porth Wreck

Common Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) - from Porth Wreck
I walked over the top to Porth Hellick, and into the Higher Moors reserve. At Seaward Hide I had great views of a Common Snipe.
 


Common Snipe (Gallinago gallinago) - Porth Hellick Pool
Various other items were also seen on the reserve.
 
Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) - Porth Hellick Pool
Speckled Wood (Parage aegeria insula) - Higher Moors NR
Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta) - by Higher Moors NR
The girls kindly came out in the buggy to take me back to base so I  could fix myself a very late lunch while they set out to go to Treasure Beach again. However, they ended up going shopping instead and were back much sooner than expected.

As the Wryneck had been seen yet again at Porth Wreck,  I decided to give it a third try. 
 
A group of 16 Gannets, relatively close to the shore, caught my attention. Here are three of them.
 
Gannet (Morus bassanus) - from Porth Wreck
I'd been there well over an hour and just said to a couple that I'd been chatting with that I would do them the favour of departing as that, based on past experience, would guarantee the bird would appear within minutes of me being gone, when the lady said 'what's that on that rock'. It was very distant and with my poor eyesight and relatively cheap binoculars I said 'it looks like a spug' (sparrow), but I  took some shots anyway and when I zoomed in to my shot (as shown in my 2nd image, below) I saw it was our target!
 

Wryneck (Jynx torquilla) - Porth Wreck
My shots would just about be acceptable as record shots but we found that if we went to the gate at the entrance to the quarry we got a better, but brief, view as it ducked back in when someone moved to a couple of metres in front of me .
 
Wryneck (Jynx torquilla) - Porth Wreck
With mission accomplished it was time to visit Higher Moors again to try for a Jack Snipe as two had been recently reported. Both birds were soon located, with the help of a couple already in the hide. However, one was photographically too distant and only ID-able by its bobbing movement, and the near one was hunkered down behind a rise in the terrain, as shown below - it's the one on the left, with Common Snipe on the right.
 
Jack Snipe (Lymnocryptes minimus) + Common Snipe (Gallinago gallinago) - Porth Hellick Pool
While waiting for developments in the Snipe situation, I took a few shots of the group of Greenshank with a Grey Heron near the far side of the pool.
 
Greenshank (Tringa nebularia) + Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea) - Porth Hellick Pool
After a long wait, with just two of us left in the hide, a Common Snipe sidled up alongside the Jack Snipe and set it in motion.
 
Jack Snipe (Lymnocryptes minimus) + Common Snipe (Gallinago gallinago) - Porth Hellick Pool
The Jack Snipe's progress was frustratingly slow to the extent that my companion remarked that it will be dark before it comes into full view (sunset was two hours away!). It did, thankfully, improve on that schedule, although in not the best of locations.
 

Jack Snipe (Lymnocryptes minimus) - Porth Hellick Pool
I am very fond of Snipe, and to get half-decent views of Jack Snipe was really quite excting for me.
 
It was now time to return to base, thus ending my birding day. It was, without a shadow of doubt, the best day for sightings so far in the break, and one of the better days photographically.
 
 
This brings me to the end of Pt.2 of my account of our visit to the Isles of Scilly. I intend for the third (and final) part of my account to be published in about a week's time.
 
In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature. Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard


24 comments:

  1. Always a joy to see Scilly. I had hoped to return this October but opted out with the uncertainty over rail strikes. Deeply regret it as they've been some stunning birds, notably the first English record of Blackburnian Warbler, which I'd only previously seen across the Atlantic.

    I recognised the top flower immediately as I used to grow it & saw it in a conservatory at Fulham Palace yesterday but always knew it as Tibouchina & was unaware of a name change. Always frustrating when scientific names change as they seem to with increasing regularity!

    Some beautiful shots & always good to connect with Jack Snipe & Wryneck. Glad you had such a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that the rail strikes put you off your planned visit to Scilly. I think that, if I'd still been there, I'd have stayed away from the Blackburnian Warbler as I'm not one for crowds, particularly these days.

      I guess that most scientific name changes are prompted by genetics showing errors in original classifications, although 'political correctness' seems to be creeping in too. I find myself doing Google searches for scientific names from time to time and often find conflicting names with no indication of what is the current one.

      It wasn't our best visit to the Isles of Scilly, but it was, as always, highly enjoyable.

      With my thanks and best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Another excellent tour of the Scillies Richard, and me being me, it was good to see the Stonechats featured well again, also good you got close to the Jack Snipe.

    Kind Regards to all from Lanc's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can honestly say that I never see a Stonechat without thinking of you, Pete !

      Best wishes to you and KT - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. A Jack Snipe and a Wryneck would make the whole adventure a grand success for me, Richard. I have had excellent encounters with Wryneck in Ethiopia, but nowhere else, and a Jack Snipe I have never seen. I think that birders in general are pretty stoic people and soldier on whatever the weather. It's the only thing to do really, especially if you are in a place you are pretty sure you will never see again. That's not true for you and your relationship to the Scilly Isles, of course - I suspect you have already made next year's reservations! Best wishes to Lindsay who is no doubt counting down the time to her new knee! David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, David, next year's reservation is already in place, with a request to extend the stay if the property becomes available for one of the weeks either side of the booked week. We have our fingers crossed!

      Lindsay was due to have her new knee on 2nd November. I took her for her pre-op a couple of weeks ago, and they came back last week to say that her heamoglobin level was too low by 5 points and they weren't prepared to operate until this was rectified. It's going to take at least three weeks before she's put on any sort of rectification regimen and so it looks unlikely that she'll get the op this year. We're very disappointed.

      Delete
  4. Hello Richard :=)

    I am so pleased for you that you managed to photograph the Wryneck before leaving Scilly. All the common birds are beautifully captured. I never tire of seeing the Robin and Song Thrush, but the water birds are also good to see. The Snipe, and Jack Snipe are great images, but I enjoyed seeing every one of your sightings, the Stonechat and Rock Pipit especially. My post is so poor in images and birds that I almost didn't post it,
    My next week's post will be better.
    My warm good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do yourself an injustice, Sonjia. Your blog post is interesting and beautiful to behold - and it might even get me started on a new hobby !!!

      Thank you for your very kind words, which are much-appreciated.

      (QvQ)
      (......)
      --"---"--

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Cracking images and post Richard. Plenty of quality seen but you saved the best photo till last, a stunning Jack Snipe capture. Nice one and take care.

    Marc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc - I was rather pleased to get the Jack Snipe shots. With my best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hi Richard! Great nature observations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scilly Adventures Part Two is fascinating!

    Jack Snipe AND Wryneck! That is almost greedy. Almost.

    Considering the weather is always a gamble when one plans a trip in advance, you certainly made the most of an "iffy" situation. To my mind, you came away with a bundle of very nice photographs of a slew of diverse subjects.

    Since I'm a Snipe-lover, those are my favorite images. Photographically pleasing to me were the shots of the White Wagtail and Rock Pipit due to the backgrounds. Very nice.

    Gini says to please pass along her understanding of Lindsay's disappointment over the surgery delay. She is working toward her own knee replacement after the first of the year. Our thoughts are with you both.

    All is good around here. Fall migrants continue to filter in and we have a profuse wildflower bloom in progress. Take good care you two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could have got a better shot of the Wryneck, Wally. It was only the second one that I have ever seen!

      Largely through your encouragement, Pt.3 of my account will feature Snipe again - but, sadly, not a Jack Snipe.

      Having returned from the Isles of Scilly on 3rd October, I have realised that I have not been out into the wild with my camera since then - nearly a month later! I shall try and rectify that next week. Fortunately, we're starting to see winter visitors to the garden so life has not been without interest!

      My very best wishes to you and Gini - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photos of birds, butterflies and metal birds. How exciting for you to see the Wryneck after being so patient and waiting. I am not sure I have ever seen a snipe, must look at my photos that I have taken in the bird parks here. I really should keep a list, but I only do that for local birds where ever I have lived. Love the little wren, I have only ever seen one here many years ago when I had an old camera that struggled with anything in the distance!

    I hope to get some different photos next year, we have a two month holiday booked for South Africa and quite a lot of the time will be at the coast.

    I hope that they have some answers for Lindsay and that they can set a new date ASAP.

    Take care and keep well. Have a good weekend, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't keep list either, Diane, other than records of what visits our garden. However, my photographs are indexed by date and by species, so I can quickly find what I have seen at any location on a given date, and where and when I have seen any particular species so, for example, I can tell you that the only other time I have seen a Wryneck was at Weston, on Portland, on 10th September 2014 (just before 4 o'clock in the afternoon!).

      A two-month holiday in South Aftrica - WOW!!!! We have pretty much decided that we'll not leave UK again and the longest we've been away for in the past ten years is twelve days. I'm sure that you'll have a fabulous time.

      Lindsay's going to have to wait until her haemoglobin count is up before they'l even put her back on the waiting list - very frustrating - she's not yet had an analysis as to what she's got to do to achieve that!

      Me very best wishes to you both - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hello Richard :=),
    Thank you for such an encouraging reply, and the cute image of the Little Owl. How clever of you to make it. It's truly a delightful little image and it made me smile. :=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Little Owl was not me being clever, Sonjia. I copied it from somewhere else and made only a minor modification.

      Delete
  10. Wow, you caught the fantastic Jack Snipe, hard to get. The Gannets and over the Common Snipe. Richard, you have so many birds, butterflies, creatures of the nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your enthusiastic response to this post, Bob. You have brightened my day!

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. you had some exceptional lighting that give some of these images supurb clarity and sharpness. Wonderful. A lovely post of some lovely wildlife some which many people take for granted, you display them all here so wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dave - fortunately you are not seeing the hundreds of frames that were discarded! The Scillies, when at their best, give amazing opportunities and the lghting can be excellent as there's virtually no atmospheric polution.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  12. Hello Richard, that is amazing to see what you had in front of your lens. Such an amount of birds wow. I love most of all the Snipes. The Wryneck I do hope one day to encounter. You were so lucky. And to discover this bird requiers a verry good eyesight. So sorry to read in an earlier comment of you that the health of Lindsay is still not that well. I do wish her all the best and hope for a solution soon.
    Warm regards from Belgium, Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very fond of Snipes, Roos, and always get excited when I see one. This was only my second ever sighting of Wryneck, so to see it was very special indeed for me.

      Lindsay is managing to keep her spirits up, thank you, but is, of course, disappointed that her operation, which was booked for 2nd November, is now not likely to happen before next year. Hopefully, we'll get a better idea of timescales sometime in November.

      Best wishes from England where the weather is warmer than it should be at this time of year, but rather damp! Stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.