Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Thursday 13 July 2023

Anglian Adventures, Day 3 - 16th June, 2023

Herewith my account of the third day of my break in Norfolk. If you missed the previous two days, you can find them here:-  https://peglerbirding.blogspot.com/2023/06/anglian-adventures-day-1-14th-june-2023.html, and here:- https://peglerbirding.blogspot.com/2023/07/anglian-adventures-day-2-15th-june-2023.html

Friday, 16th June                    Strumpshaw Fen

It had been my intention to have an early start this day, and make a pre-breakfast visit to Strumpshaw Fen to see if I could find a Barn Owl to photograph. I was then going to come back to my room for breakfast and follow it up with a gentle day somewhere.

I'd set the alarm on my phone to wake me at 05.00, so was horrified to wake in the morning and find that it was already 08.15. I never sleep through an alarm, but what I'd done was select the time OK, but neglected to press 'save', so it hadn't activated.

I had my usual breakfast of cereal and dried fruit before leaving for Strumpshaw Fen, arriving at about 09.30. Having paid the entrance fee, I set off towards the Meadow Trail to see if I could have any better luck with Norfolk Hawkers in flight.

There was a bit of activity in the channel that runs beside the trail and I photographed a Four-spotted Chaser that was nicely posed.

Four-spotted Chaser (Sympetrum quadrimaculatum) (male) - Strumpshaw Fen
A fellow with a camera pointed out something that he was not sure of the identity of - it was a dragonfly exuvia. I subsequently found out that it was that of a Norfolk Hawker.

Norfolk Hawker (Aeshna isoceles) (exuvia) - Strumpshaw Fen
I suddenly noticed a Barn Owl in the far distance. It was between 400 and 500 metres away, and I took some record shots before rushing, via the trail alongside the River Yare, to my favourite spot for watching them, beyond the Pump House. 

Barn Owl (Tito alba) - Strumpshaw Fen

On the way, I stopped briefly to try and photograph a pair of birds that seemed to be having a squabble. I only got some poor shots of just one of them and I think it is just a common Meadow Pipit - please let me know if you think I'm wrong.

Meadow Pipit ? (Anthus pratensis) - Strumpshaw Fen
I had not had any further sightings of the Barn Owl after leaving my original position, and spent an hour and a half at what should have been an ideal spot, patiently waiting for one to appear again. Even the dragonflies were playing hard to get at this point, but I did find one obliging Norfolk Hawker before I decided to give it up as a bad job.

Norfolk Hawker (Aeshna isoceles) (male) - Strumpshaw Fen
It was time to head back to the Visitor Centre via the Woodland Walk to see if I could find some butterflies. I had been hoping to find White Admiral and Silver-washed Fritillary, but it seems that it was too early in the season for these. The best that I could find was another Brimstone!

Brimstone (Gonepteryx rhamni) (male) - Strumpshaw Fen

From the Visitor Centre, I crossed over the railway line to the car park and spent a little time resting my legs and enjoying another picnic lunch. I then set off down Tinker's Lane, seeing nothing of interest as I went, and crossed the railway line again at the far end to head back into the reserve. Just inside the reserve were a few orchids, of which species I do not know.

Orchid sp. - Strumpshaw Fen

Further on, I was pleased to find a few damselflies, including a Variable Damselfly in an area that I'd seen my first ever, a few years ago.

Variable Damselfly (Coenagrion pulchellum) (female) - Strumpshaw Fen

Azure Damselfly (Coenagrion puella)(female) - Strumpshaw Fen

Halfway along Lackford Run, I stopped to try and photgraph a distant Marsh Harrier. A month ago, I would not have stood a chance, but I'm now getting a little more used to the camera, although I still have a fair way to go!

Marsh Harrier (Circus aeruginosus) (male) - Strumpshaw Fen

Beside the River Yare, I took photos of a colourful hoverfly and another Brimstone, before reaching Tower Hide. I can't ID the hoverfly beyond genus.

hoverfly (Parhelophilus sp.) - Strumpshaw Fen
Brimstone (Gonepteryx rhamni) (male) - Strumpshaw Fen

I found Tower Hide to be almost full of people but did manage to find a space. Once again, there seemed to be little happening in front of the hide but, way over to the left, there was some Marsh Harrier action. Again, this was a little too distant for pleasing photography.


Marsh Harrier (Circus aeruginosus) (female) - Strumpshaw Fen

The harriers disappeared and I continued my travels alongside the Yare. 

Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) - Strumpshaw Fen

Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta) - Strumpshaw Fen
At one point, I found a person taking photos at a gap in the landward belt of trees. He pointed out that a grebe was out on the water with a chick riding on its back. 

Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus) (adult with chick) - Strumpshaw Fen
The chick eventually hopped of the adult's back and I was interested to note that it had regained its buoyancy.

Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus) (adult with chick) - Strumpshaw Fen
The two of us left the area and were chatting as we went. Turning left down the trail that leads to the Visitor Centre, I almost immediately said "stop!" to my companion. On the trail, way ahead of us, was a Brown Hare, and it was heading our way.

Brown Hare (Lepus europaeus) - Strumpshaw Fen
We stood stock-still, taking photos, as it came forward, stopped a while came forward again, stopped again, and then came forward until it can't have been much more than four metres from us.

Brown Hare (Lepus europaeus) - Strumpshaw Fen

Remarkably, it stopped there long enough for me to set my camera to take some video - note the sound of a Blackcap in the background. 

You might find it interesting to see that video in slow-motion.

My companion and I then continued to the Meadow Trail and spent some time there photographing dragonflies and damselflies. I also managed to collect that exuvia which features in the second image in this blog post, and it is now in my small collection of exuviae.
 
A large part of Meadow Trail was closed off, due to the presence of longhorn cattle, including a bull.

Longhorn cattle - Strumpshaw Fen
Common Blue Damselfly (Enallagma cyathigerum) (male) - Strumpshaw Fen
Four-spotted Chaser (Sympetrum quadrimaculatum) (male) - Strumpshaw Fen
Norfolk Hawker (Aeshna isoceles) (male) - Strumpshaw Fen
Scarce Chaser (Libellula fulva) (male) - Strumpshaw Fen

Black-tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) (female) - Strumpshaw Fen

It seemed to have reached ovipositing time, as several species were observed in this activity at around 17.00.

Azure Damselfly (Coenagrion puella)(male+female ovipositing) - Strumpshaw Fen
Norfolk Hawker (Aeshna isoceles) (female ovipositing) - Strumpshaw Fen
Hairy Dragonfly (Brachytron pratense) (female ovipositing) - Strumpshaw Fen

I'll supplement that last image with a bit of video:-
 
I had been on site for getting on for eight hours and was getting to the end of my stamina. My walking distance was not far short of the previous day's record. It was time to leave Strumpshaw Fen, head a short way down the road to 'The Scottish Restaurant' for some speedy refreshment, and then return to the Travelodge. 
 
When planning this trip, it had been my intention to spend the following day at somewhere fairly local and then head home after hiving some lunch. However, a couple of days before my departure from home, I received a message to say thay I'd got a place on a visit to a dragonfly hot-spot in Northamptonshire on 17th. As this is a place that is not open to the public, I was keen to go. It did, however, mean I had to make a relatively early start in order to travel the 125 miles (201 km) and arrive at 10.00. This meant that I, once again, turned in relatively early.

Although I felt that, for some reason that I cannot fathom, there were far fewer dragonflies and damselflies around on this day, it had been another highly enjoyable time.

If all goes according to plan, I'll be publishing my next post in about a week's time. In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature.

Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard

 

20 comments:

  1. As always a super set of photos despite forgetting the alarm!!. I wish we had some water nearby that I could find some dragonflies and damsels but there sadly is nothing that close. Love the Longhorn cattle, wow they do have long horns. Glad that you saw a Barn Owl even if at a distance, I have not seen one for a couple of years and I have never got a photo of one then.

    The hare is adorable and I love the two videos. Thanks for sharing these with us.

    I hope that all is well. Very best wishes to you both, take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Diane. We are quite lucky in that we have a few ponds and lakes close to home, but I do have to travel quite a long way to see some of the more unusual species.

      Sorry for this very late reply - We have been away in The New Forest for a week, and I'm trying to catch up with all manner of things!

      Best wishes to you and Nigel - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Hello Richard
    a post exactly to my liking lots of dragonfly pictures, I like that a lot, I also know the situation with the rabbit too well, they come straight at you, so it's fun to take pictures, the model comes to you..
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frank, it was a very enjoyable visit, with the main focus being dragonflies and birds.

      I am sorry for the late reply - we have been away for a week in The New Forest.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Una gran selección de fotografías, todas me gustan. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teresa - best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos of the insects, birds and hare. I like your header. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caroline. Sorry for the late reply - I have been away. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Some great sightings, Richard, and equally imposing images. I am away in Ottawa visiting my daughter right now, so my comment is brief. Best wishes to you and Lindsay - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David. I hope that you are having a great time in Ottawa. We just got back from a week in The New Forest with our daughter and granddaughter on Friday afternoon, and yesterday was spent sorting things out at home - hence this late, and brief reply.

      Best wishes to you all - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Excellent Richard, Love the brown hare.. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mike. That Hare was a most enjoyable and memorable incident! Best wishes - take good care - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Brilliant shooting Richard, the Four-spotted Chaser and Brown Hare was splendid.items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. The Brown Hare was the highlight of the day for me!

      My best wishes to you and the family - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. You certainly had an overall outstanding trip! What a fascinating area for exploration. I see why you looked forward to this adventure.

    After reviewing your post for the third time, it struck me that the photographs of the insects were all absolutely stunning! All of the images are great, even the distant Barn Owl (record shots can be great!), but the dragons, damsels, etc. were really special.

    Now we're looking forward to the results from Northamptonshire.

    Gini and send all our best to you and Lindsay.

    Your motto for the day: "Press save to set alarm."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that I haven't raised your expectations too high for Day 4's report, Wally. Photographically it wasn't that good, but it was, nevertheless, a highly enjoyable experience.

      Best wishes to you and Gini. Your ongoing support is very much appreciated - thank you - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Wow, you really saw many things! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Guillermo, it was an excellent visit!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.