Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Wednesday 19 July 2023

Anglian Adventures, Day 4 - 17th June, 2023

This blog post will cover the last day of my four-day adventure which was, primarily, to find and photograph dragonflies and other wildlife. If you missed my accounts of the previous three days you cand find them here;- https://peglerbirding.blogspot.com/2023/06/anglian-adventures-day-1-14th-june-2023.html      here;- https://peglerbirding.blogspot.com/2023/07/anglian-adventures-day-2-15th-june-2023.html and here:- https://peglerbirding.blogspot.com/2023/07/anglian-adventures-day-3-16th-june-2023.html

Yardley Chase, in Northamptonshire, is a fascinating place which I had the privilege of visiting way back in June, 2018. Yardley Chase covers nearly 900 acres (360 hectares) and is an SSSI. It has an interesting history, which largely centres around its use by the military who still own it today, resulting in much of it being left in pristine condition.

Originally it was mainly a Norman Hunting Chase with woodland and unimproved grassland, although much of the ancient woodland has been replanted or modified, creating a range of woodland types including plantations of oak, mixed broad-leaves such as ash, and conifers. 

Yardley Chase contains some large concrete huts on two sites. The huts are about 12 metres long, and about 6-8m wide, and were used during World War II to store bombs. They continued in use after the war as a bulk explosives depot, until the 1970s when the Ministry of Defence shut them down.

The eastern munitions site, is larger than its western neighbour, and the bomb storage buildings are mostly surrounded by water-filled moats. The storage buildings at the western site are surrounded by earth banks.  

The site is currently used as a cadet training ground for the Army, Navy, Air Force and Territorial Army, and is closed to the public. However, there are occasional group visits arranged, and my visit in 2018 was arranged by The British Dragonfly Society as the place is home to a good population of Downy Emerald dragonflies.

I had arranged my 2023 Norfolk break at the beginning  of the year, and intended to to spend the last morning locally in Norfolk before heading home in the early afternoon. Later in the year, I noticed that The British Dragonfly Society were offering a return visit to Yardley Chase on 17th June. My initial reaction was one of disappointment as I would be away in Norfolk at that time. It was a few weeks later that it dawned on me that coming home from Norfolk via Yardley Chase would not be a major diversion, only adding 35 miles (56 km) to my journey, so I applied for a place on the visit. I was disappointed to be informed that the visit was now full, but that I was in first position on the waiting list. 

The call came through just two days before my departure to Norfolk to say I'd now got a place.

 Saturday, 17th June                    Yardley Chase

After a quick early breakfast, I left the Travelodge in Acle at 07.15 and, after an uneventful journey of 125 miles (201 km), arrived at Yardley Chase at 09.55 - five minutes early. Happily, our group leader, Mark Tyrrell (who is the County Dragonfly Recorder for Northamptonshire) was already on site, as was another participant.

As the last participant arrived (I think that there were ten of us), it started raining - not exactly the best weather for dragonfly hunting, but it was a light drizzle rather than heavy rain and we were only getting a little damp, rather than soaked!

Undaunted, we made our way to the first pond, taking a route that a casual visitor would never find. 

The first find was a Four-spotted Chaser which clearly showed a forewing that had not developed on its emergence. It did not, however, seem greatly incapacitated by this.

Four-spotted Chaser (Libellula quadrimaculata) (male) - Yardley Chase
In spite of the weather, there were still butterflies around as well as day-flying moths. The Brown China-mark is a moth that always seems to land in the grass and hang onto a blade upside-down!

Speckled Wood (Pararge aegeria) - Yardley Chase
Brown China-mark (Elophila nymphaeata) - Yardley Chase

Green Oak Tortrix (Tortrix viridana) - Yardley Chase

 To my mind, this Tachnid fly looks as if it's dressed for combat.

Tachnid fly (Tachina fera) - Yardley Chase
We were seeing the occasional damselfly, but no dragonflies.

Blue-tailed Damselfly (Ischnura elegans) (male) - Yardley Chase

Azure Damselfly (Coenagrion puella) (male) - Yardley Chase

Common Blue Damselfly (Enallagma cyathigerum) (male) - Yardley Chase
One of our group spotted a dragonfly perched just above water level at the edge of the pond that we were investigating. Our leader went over and found that he was able to pick it up without it resisting - it was a female Emperor. It seemed somewhat moribund, although it did 'shiver' its wings from time to time, and was also able to cling to a branch when placed there. It was, however, subsequently found to have a large hole in the underside to its thorax.


Emperor (Anax imperator) (female) - Yardley Chase
There were lots of exuviae being found round the pond. I failed to make a note of the identity of this one and my exuvia ID skills are sadly lacking.

dragonfly exuvia - Yardley Chase
As we were about to leave this pond, one of the group spotted a fine-looking beetle.

Spotted Longhorn (Rutpela maculata) - Yardley Chase
We than moved on to another area and, as we did so, the weather changed for the better. En route to the second location, I was delighted to get some shots of Wood White butterfly. This small butterfly is considered to be a declining rarity in English woodlands.

Wood White (Leptidea sinapis) (male) - Yardley Chase
The County Recorder for butterflies was with us, and drew my attention to a Meadow Brown butterfly that had an aberration on the wings on its right hand side. I'd have taken it to have been scale loss!

Meadow Brown (Maniola jurtina) (male) - Yardley Chase
The second location we visited was more visibly at one of the old bomb storage units. The building was virtually intact and surrounded by a high mound which, in turn was surrounded by water. With the sun now shining, this proved to be a good spot for dragonflies. 

I spent a while exploring the perimeter, and photographing a few items.

Emerald Damselfly (Lestes sponsa) (female) - Yardley Chase
The Four-spotted Chaser, below, seems to be enjoying a large meal!

Four-spotted Chaser (Libellula quadrimaculata) (male) - Yardley Chase


Orchid sp. - Yardley Chase

Large Red Damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula) (male + female) - Yardley Chase

I then had two sessions, broken by a short break to eat my picnic lunch, at a point where a Downy Emerald dragonfly was habitually visiting. Unfortunately, this was also an area where two Four-spotted Chasers held territories, and every time the Downy Emerald arrived, it was seen off instantly by the Chasers. 

Here are the Chasers:-



Four-spotted Chaser (Libellula quadrimaculata) (male) - Yardley Chase
Eventually, I just managed a couple of 'record' frames of a Downy Emerald in flight - I never saw one land!

Downy Emerald (Cordulia aenea) (male) - Yardley Chase
By now, I was getting more than a little worn out after four rather busy days. I did a quick, but relaxed, mop-up of a few more items in the area. I think that the exuviae are problably that of Emperor, but I am uncertain enough that I will not label them as such.

dragonfly exuviae - Yardley Chase
Azure Damselfly (Coenagrion puella) (male+female in cop) - Yardley Chase

Large Skipper (Ochlodes sylvanus) (male) - Yardley Chase

Emerald Damselfly (Lestes sponsa) (immature male) - Yardley Chase
The event was scheduled to finish at 16.00 but, by 14.30, I was flagging and, having about 70 miles (110 km) cross-country to travel home, decided it was time to go. I said my goodbyes and thank yous and departed.

It had been a fascinating visit, and I hope to be able to visit again next year. My thanks, again, to Mark Tyrrell for arranging and leading this visit.

 

I have recently returned from a week's stay with family in the New Forest where I took nearly four thousand frames, so there's work to be done. I'll try and have a blog post prepared for about a weeks time, but no promises!

In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature.

Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard

 

16 comments:

  1. Great success and wonderful pictures, Richard. I suspect that you are mightily pleased with your new (well not quite new any more) camera, and that familiarity with the equipment breeds success. It's great that you were accepted for the tour at Yardley Chase and were able to explore there with like-minded individuals. I would imagine that you were all able to learn from each other. We now have a couple of Black Swallowtail caterpillars in the house and one is about to pupate. After losing all the previous group we had been observing, when we found two more on the parsley we decided to bring them in. I don't know whether you have raised butterflies indoors, but it is fascinating. Best wishes to you and Lindsay - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am well-pleased with the camera, David, although I find that I occasionionally miss the longer reach of my old set up, and I'm not fully used to the far greater minimum focus distance for the semi-macro shots - I keep finding that I'm too close to focus!

      I'm looking forward to seeing how things progress with your Black Swallowtail caterpillars. I have raised butterflies indoors, even quite recently (last year), and in the past I have also raised moths and even stick insects! I have all the kit ready for when I next get the opportunity.

      With my best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Muy buen reportaje. Me encanta fotografiar insectos. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Teresa. A mí también me gusta fotografiar insectos, ya que me da la capacidad de ver más detalles de los que puedo ver a simple vista. Los mejores deseos - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Wow how lucky that there was a cancelation and that you could make the visit.

    Your photos of Damsels and Chasers are superb I feel like they are going to fly out of my screen any moment they are so alive.

    I think your Orchid is a Common Spotted Orchid (Dactylorhiza fuchsii).

    Very best wishes to you both. Take care, cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I do get lucky, Diane! I think that you are probably right about the Orchid ID, but PlantNet 's best ID was Heath Spotted Orchid, with Common Spotted not being offered as an alternative! Losing faith in PlantNet's ID capabilities as, several times lately, I have sought the ID of a flower and PlantNet has come back with 'Not a flower' !

      Best wishes to you and Nigel - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Hello Richard
    the fourth day is exactly to my taste, dragonfly photo I like so much and so many more.. I like the Emerald Maiden in the last picture very much.
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frank. There are some different dragonflies due to appear in my next few blog posts - I hope that you will like them too!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Hi Richard.
    Wow, I love your dragonfly pictures so much, and they teach me about some cool species I could have seen in Britan - too late for that now haha.
    That four-spotted chaser with the deformed forewing... could it fly?
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Guillermo. It's good to know that you like my dragonfly photos. You could come back to UK to find those ones that you missed first time round!

      I didn't see that Four-spotted Chaser fly, but I am confident that it would have been able to fly as I have, in the past, seen this species fly confidently with a missing forewing. Dragonflies can control the movement of each of their wings independently.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hello Richard, wow what great photos of these creatures. I am glad for you you could join the group just in time. It must have been a day not to be forgotten easely.
    Warm regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roos, it was an excellent day with which to end my four-day dragonfly hunt, and is a place I hope to visit again next year.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Good to see the used variable items on yours blog Richard, I love the Dragonflies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. For me, dragonflies are an endless source of wonderment.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. You certainly had a spectacular finish to your four day adventure!

    The diverse subjects you found in just a few hours speaks to the richness of the Yardley Chase habitat. I suspect you may leap at another chance to visit. I totally empathize with your needing to leave a bit early having spent those first three days attempting some sort of tramping marathon! Makes me tired just thinking about it.

    Your photographs are simply outstanding! Love the Downy Emerald flight shot and I'm especially taken with the Emerald Damselfly. I guess I have a thing for green gems?

    All is good here. Hot, humid and busy exploring swamp and forest.

    Gini and I send our very best to you and Lindsay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wally. Yes, Yardley Chase is on my list of places to re-visit next year. This time I'll be more careful about looking out for return visit opportunities.

      I too find something appealing in dragons and damsels having a green colour, especially in their eyes.

      We could do with some of your heat over here. We're getting lots of rain and it's cold enough that we had the central heating on yesterday evening - in July!!!

      While talking of heat, we are concerned about our two granddaughters (our son's two) who are on Rhodes at the moment and were evacuated from their hotel this morning because of the wildfires. We're hoping for an update soon.

      My very best wishes to you and Gini - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.