Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Thursday 12 October 2023

Isles of Scilly, 2023 Pt.1 - 24th and 25th September, 2023

This begins my account of another family holiday on the wonderful Isles of Scilly. Lindsay and I  were accompanied by our daughter Melanie,  granddaughter Georgie,  and Georgie's friend Kerris.

To put things in context, we were both extremely nervous at the prospect of starting out on this journey to the Isles of Scilly. On Friday, 1st September on the way home from having a meeting with Lindsay's surgeon, while travelling at about 40 mph (65 kph) the rear wheels of our car suddenly locked solid and we skidded all over the road before coming to a halt. It was, to say the least, extremely frightening. Fortunately, there were no other cars around at the time. After about two hours the rescue truck arrived and took the car to the nearest Skoda dealership. It was even more unsettling that this could happen less than 200 miles (320 km) after the car had a full service and MoT test at the dealership.

It was the Tuesday before they found time to investigate, and found that the rear offside brake  calliper was broken, and so they replaced that, plus the brake disc and brake pads for an eye- watering price. They then took it out for a test drive and the same thing happened on the test drive as had happened to us. Having retrieved the car and supplied the test driver with clean pants, they got it back on the ramp and found a hole in the 4WD differential casing and came to the conclusion that the diff. was well and truly lunched. With a price now quoted for the repair being close to £6,500 we had a long hard think about whether to go forward with the repair or ditch the car. We decided on the former option. A day later, we were told that there was not a replacement diff. anywhere and it could be weeks or months before they managed to get the part. Arrangements were made for them to supply us with a car for our trip to the Isles of Scilly. We were comforted by the thought that we'd not have to take the long drive to the tip of Cornwall in a car that we'd not had time to regain confidence in.

I was not, therefore, overjoyed to get a call on Thursday 21st September to say that they'd got the part and fixed it, so that we could collect it on the Friday, two days before our departure, giving us no time to have a good run  and gain confidence. If it happened again when we were travelling at 70 mph on a busy motorway we would stand little chance of surviving!

Sunday, 24th September          Ashby de la Zouch to Hayle  :  Hayle, Copperhouse Pool

We managed what for us was a fairly early start, departing from home at 09.15. The first half of the 300 mile journey was in constant drizzle but it dried up later. I drove very gingerly at first but, after about 150 miles I started to gain confidence. We had a few comfort stops en route and arrived at the Premier Inn, Hayle, at 15.15. 

Having unpacked the car, I went off for a walk beside Copperhouse Pool as it is an interesting birding spot. I arrived to find winds of 26mph, gusting to 43 mph, rain threatening, and the tide out so the water was quite a distance from the road. Wind and distance made photography difficult, but there were some interesting birds to see - nothing rare, but with a few a bit different to what I see close to home
 
Close to where I'd parked the car, a Little Egret posed nicely.
 
Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) - Copperhouse Pool, Hayle

Over on the far side of the pool, about 150 metres away, a Cormorant was spreading its wings.
 
Cormorant (Phalacrocorax Carbo) - Copperhouse Pool, Hayle
It was good to see a Black-tailed Godwit probing in the mud for a snack
 
Black-tailed Godwit (Limosa limosa) - Copperhouse Pool, Hayle
Black-headed Gull is a familiar bird localy to home.
 
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) - Copperhouse Pool, Hayle

By far the most numerous bird species present was Canada Goose (I suspect that there were a couple of hundred, or more) - also a familiar sight close to home.
 
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) - Copperhouse Pool, Hayle

I am used to seeing Redshank at this location and was surprised to only spot one on this occasion.
 
Redshank (Tringa totanus) - Copperhouse Pool, Hayle
The north end of Copperhouse Pool is usually good for Curlew in my experience, and so it was this time too.
 
Curlew (Numenius arquata) - Copperhouse Pool

On my way back to the car, the Godwit was in a slightly better position.
 
Black-tailed Godwit (Limosa limosa) - Copperhouse Pool, Hayle

I'd only been there for about half an hour, and my timing was almost perfect as it started raining when I was just a few metres from the car.
 
I drove back in heavy rain and returned to base to find that Melanie and the girls had just arrived. 

After a chat, for convenience, our evening meals were obtained from 'the Scottish restaurant' with the two youngsters having takeaways and us older folks eating in. 

That night we turned in early at 20.30
 
Monday, 25th September          Copperhouse Pool, Hayle  : Hayle to St. Marys, Isles of Scilly 

The day got off to an unfortunate start, and seemed to be a bit jinxed thereafter. I'd set the alarm to wake Lindsay and I up at 07.00. The alarm went off in the morning and we both started sorting ourselves out when I suddenly noticed that my watch was reading 05.34. Somehow I'd also managed to set an alarm for 05.30!

There was an upside to this mistake as it meant that I had time to return to Copperhouse Pool before we needed to depart for the airport.

In contrast to the previous day, it was a sunny day with just a gentle breeze and I  hadn't reckoned with the early morning sunlight being all but horizontal and straight ahead of me as I looked over the pool. Also, the water level was even lower than it was the evening before. I did manage a few photos, however. I'll leave off the shots of species photographed the previous evening.

I thought that I'd found the Black-tailed Godwit again, but it was only when examining my photos that I realised that I'd been looking at a Bar-tailed Godwit. This is a species that I rarely see.


Bar-tailed Godwit (Limosa lapponica) - Copperhouse Pool. Hayle

A Greenshank was near the bridge.

Greenshank (Tringa nebularia) - Copperhouse Pool, Hayle

Grey Heron is, of course, common almost everywhere.

Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea) - Copperhouse Pool, Hayle
We arrived at Lands End Airport in good time and had already checked in when I noticed that Lindsay was not carrying her binoculars. She'd left them in the car, so I had to hot-foot it back to the car park to collect them. Due to this minor kerfuffle it completely slipped my mind that I had to cancel the rooms that I'd booked at the hotel for that night as a contingency in case our flight was cancelled - flights to the Scillies are a bit vulnerable to weather conditions. By the time I realised this omission we'd already been charged for the rooms.

The flight was uneventful and we were on the Isles of Scilly by 12.30, and soon transported to the self-catering property we had rented on Littleporth, St Marys. Having collected our shopping for the week and had a light late lunch. I set off on what I'd intended to be a short walk along the sea-front that is at the bottom of the garden of the property that we were staying in.
 
I was delighted to see a Wren in the garden of the property.

Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes) - property garden, Littleporth
On Porthcressa beach I found something that I was not sure of the identity of, but was informed that it was the 'holdfast' of Furbelows - a kelp seaweed.
 
Furbelows (Saccorhiza polyschides) (holdfast) - Porthcressa
There was far more seaweed on the beach than I have ever seen before, presumably as the result of recent storms. This Herring Gull was probing some of it for a tasty treat.
 
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) - Porthcressa
In recent visits to the Scillies, I have seen far fewer Song Thrushes than I had previously been used to. These used to be quite confiding. I have even had them take food from the hand. I wonder if the seeming increase in domestic cats has been the cause. I was pleased to see a Song Thrush this day, gracing the back of a memorial bench on the sea-front.
 
Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos) - Porthcressa

Deciding to go a bit further, I headed up the hill to Buzza Tower, dipping into the small disused quarry near the lower end of the path. Here I found the caterpillar of a White Ermine moth.

White Ermine (Spilosoma lubricipeda) (larva) - quarry below Buzza Tower

Further up the hill, I stopped to photograph a lowly Large White butterfly.

Large White (Pieris brassicae) (male) - path to Buzza Tower


Reaching the hospital, where I had intended to turn back, a message came through that there was a Wryneck on Peninnis Head. I was already halfway there so cleared it with Lindsay that I'd be back late and set off along the lane.

There was not anybody around when I arrived and I was not too sure as to where the bird had been seen. I looked around in the area where I thought it had been and, apart from a momentary double-take when a bird popped up onto the wall, which turned out to be nothing but a Dunnock, I saw little.
 
Dunnock (Prunella modularis) - Peninnis Head
I started looking along the start of the path that runs along the west side of Peninnis. I'd  not gone far before I saw a fellow waving his arms to me a few hundred metres down the path. I hurried to him and he confirmed that he'd had a Wryneck working it's way along the wall in a northerly direction. We continued to search together and at one point he had it spotted, but I misunderstood his directions and was looking in the wrong place, whereupon it flew before I spotted it.  I did get some distant shots of a Whinchat.
 
Whichat (Saxicola rubetra) (female) - Peninnis

We continued to look for the Wryneck for some time before giving up. I decided to continue northward and back to base, while my companion returned to Peninnis Head.  About five minutes later, a message came though on the WhatsApp group saying that Wryneck had been spotted at the place that I'd originally looked at, only about 10 minutes after I'd left that location.

As I continued my walk, another message came through, this time from my previous companion, with a wonderful photo of the Wryneck at the location. I only found some butterflies to photograph.

Small Copper (Lycaena phlaeas) - Peninnis

Peacock (Aglais io) - Peninnis
As I neared base,  I found Lindsay and Melanie sitting on a seafront wall. I joined them and, just to rub it in, another message came through that  there were now two Wryneck at the same location. 

I took a few more photos at Littleporth. A Wren was in the usual corner at the western end of the beach.

Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes) - Littleporth

An Ostercatcher in drab, and rather cryptic, 1st- summer plumage was on the beach and flew as I watched from the sea-wall footpath.


Oystercatcher (Haematopus ostralegus) - Littleporth
The youngsters turned in at around 19.30. Lindsay and I called it a day at 21.30 after what seemed like a long day. 


I will terminate Pt.1 of my account here. Pt.2 will probably follow in about a week's time, when I have had time to process the many photos that I took. I suspect that it might be rather longer than this post.

In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and nature. Thank you for dropping by - - - - Richard
 
 

18 comments:

  1. Another adventure on the Scilly Isles. You are becoming such a regular I am sure that you will be awarded honorary Scillian citizenship soon (I am sure there must be such a thing!) I can only imagine your sense of relief as you gained more confidence in the car as you travelled south, although the cost of the repairs still staggers me. What a bummer that you had to pay for the unused night in the hotel. It is so easy to forget something like that. As for your early wake-up call I am usually up around 05h:00 anyway so it would have been perfectly normal for me. I was intrigued by Furbelows so I checked the book on Seaweeds I reviewed for PUP a few months ago, and was delighted to find two pages devoted to it. The following you may find interesting: the English phrase 'frills and furbelows' is used to indicate unimportant things. New to me. How about you? Best wishes to you and Lindsay- David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are Scilly visitors that are far more dedicated to stays on the Isles of Scilly than I am, and a long way ahead of me in the queue for citizenship, be it honorary or actual, David. Lindsay and I would love to live there - specifically in or near Hugh Town, St Marys.

      I'm impressed by your early rising in the morning, David. With the alarm set for 06.45 as standard, It's usually sometime after 07.30 that I get out of bed.

      I'm not sure if I've heard the term 'frills and furbelows' before although it does not sound alien, so I suspect that I have. I don't know that I'd have attached that meaning to the expression, however.

      My best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Another fine selection of photo's Richard. Take care. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mike - you take good care too - of yourself and those foxes!

      Delete
  3. Hello Richard :=)
    What a horrendous experience you had in the car. It gave me chills reading about it, and you had a few more hiccups to deal with as well mainly financial, but happily the rest of your holiday went well, and you photographed some lovely birds and butterflies.
    All the best
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're now feeling a lot more comfortable about the car, Sonjia, although I suspect that the incident will always be in the back of my mind when driving it.

      We had a very enjoyable time on the Isles of Scilly. It is a place that we have visited every year (except the 'Covid year') for a while now, but this was not one of our better visits, mainly due to the weather and a factor that will become apparent to you if you read the final part of my account of the visit. I'll keep you guessing!

      Best wishes - stay safe and look after that wrist - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Hello Again,:=)
    Thank you for your comment Richard. You know I have changed my attitude towards the Geranium Bronze a little since I saw an instar hanging from a thread, and felt almost maternal towards it. I took a photo and moments later went to see it again, but it had disappeared, probably eaten by a hungry bird. This is the way of nature but I was truly disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't find many caterpillars in our garden, Sonjia, and when I do they don't stay for long. This is probably all my fault as I feed the birds and I am sure that they take most of the caterpillars. The worst culprits are the Blue Tits, closely followed by Wren, Dunnock and Robin.

      Delete
  5. Nearly all the emotions I can think of to come out of your Skoda story Richard....Heavens Above!
    Love the head-on shot of the Whinchat. Hope by now you are back to normality.

    My Regards to yourself and Lindsey....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That car situation was a bit of a nightmare, Pete. I think I'm getting over it now, but there will always be a nagging worry lurking there!

      I nearly left off the head-on shot of the Whinchat, but the head plumage is so attractive that I couldn't resist it.

      My best wishes to you and KT - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hello Richard,
    The thing with the car is a big check and then something like that happens when you're about to go on vacation, I always thought that was just me..;-) all I can say about your pictures is; It's always a pleasure to see and read the reports from your vacation, a long reunion with the family, that's vacation..
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad to reflect how dependent we are on having a reliable means of transport, Frank. Fortunately we had another car, but that was an all-electric Smart with a range of only about 130 km and little in the way of luggage capacity, and there are few charging points in this region, so we were glad to get the larger car back.

      It was good to be with family under one roof.

      My best wishes - - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Oh wow the car incident must have been very scary and I am glad that they test drove it before handing it back!! Equally as scary is what it did to your bank balance!!

    Fabulous photos but I love the little wren, they are so cute. I have only ever seen one since we moved to France and that was a quick sighting in our garden.

    I keep planning on a free day to try and do a blog but it never happens. The kitchen and the garden have kept me far busier than I would have liked. So much of almost everything in the garden this year and I hate wasting food, so lots of freezing and bottling. Plus 50 kg of potatoes and lots of butternuts and pumpkins. I am working my way through the quince tree at the moment, it was loaded.

    Very best wishes to you both and all the family. I will hopefully find time to blog very soon, I have been taking photos at least!! Take care, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The incident with the car was more than a little frightening, Diane. It must have been worse for Lindsay as she had no idea what was going on, whereas I at least had the knowledge that I had enough of an element of control that I was able to bring the car back to the right side of the road.

      We are very luck in that we occasionally see Wren in our garden, the last time being just yesterday. Last Thursday we had two together in our garden which was possibly a first.

      With all that produce, I am surprised that you've not set up a roadside table to sell off some of it, leaving someone else with the task of all the preservation work. What are you going to do if next year is also a bumper year and you've still got most of this year's produce in the cupboard?!

      I hope that you do find time for a blog post soon. I'm delighted that you have still been taking photos.

      Take good care, and do try to have a rest. My best wishes to you and Nigel - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Precioso reportaje sobre la fauna de las Isles of Scilly, me ha gustado mucho todas las fotos. Me alegra que estés bien Richard, un fuerte abrazo desde el norte de España.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias por tus amables palabras Germán. Las Isles of Scilly son maravillosas para visitar y ver aves inusuales, especialmente a finales de septiembre y la primera quincena de octubre. Mis mejores deseos desde el Reino Unido, donde esperamos lluvias extremadamente intensas en las próximas 24 horas. Callejero seguro - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. First: Apologies for a late reply. My first attempt to reply last week was unsuccessful. Blogger, WordPress, Google - none play well together.

    Second: Apologies for not posting a reply when I realized the first did not post. Gini encountered a bit of a medical bump. She is fine overall and is almost ready to return to exploring.

    Third: Great post! It is easy to see why you return to the Isles so often. Your photographs are all so enjoyable to review many times. All of this coastal business has us ready to head over to our own salt water venues.

    We're sorry to hear of the myriad issues you encountered and hope the remainder of the trip was much smoother. The important thing is you were able to make a trip most of us would love to achieve.

    Will catch up soon with Part II of your Scilly adventure. In the meantime, Gini and I wish you and Lindsay all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No apologies necessary, Wally, but you've got me concerned about Gini's 'medical bump'. I hope all is OK and equilibrium is returned to soon.

      As you are possibly aware, it is not that easy to find a coastal location in England that is not heavily commercialised for tourism. Fortunately, the Isles of Scilly do not suffer from that type of development, although water-sports seem to be on the rise. We are very much looking forward to returning.

      With my very best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.