Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Thursday 19 October 2023

Isles of Scilly, 2023 Pt.2 - 26th September, 2023

I had, originally, intended to have this second instalment of my account cover another two days of our recent holiday on the Isles of Scilly. I then realised that just this one day would result in a blog post that was more than long enough - sorry folks! 

If you missed Pt.1, you can find it by going to the bottom of this post and then clicking on 'Older Post'.

Tuesday, 26th September

In spite of having had a poor night's sleep, I was up relatively early for us - 07.00. I then had a relaxed breakfast, after which, my first job of the day was to go and pick up the buggy that we'd hired for six days from the excellent Scilly Carts, taking Melanie along with me.
 
As there were five of us, I'd booked the hire of a six-seater cart. We trotted off to Scilly Carts, arriving soon after opening time and, after filling in the necessary forms, were headed back to base. I'd been concerned that the abrupt transition from level road and pavement to a steeply sloped drive might be a problem due to the long wheelbase of the low-slung six-seater. On arrival, we carefully tried puting the cart on the drive and found that we only had about 2 cm clearance with just me in the cart. With five of us in, I suspect that it would have grounded. A quick call to Scilly Carts and we were headed back to exchange the cart for a four-seater. This did, of course, mean that our options for travel were slightly limited. This is the cart that we ended up with.

The forecast for the day was for warm, but rather breezy, weather with sunny spells - and this is what it turned out to be.
 
Having missed out on seeing a Wryneck the previous afternoon, I was  determined to have another try. I set off, on foot, along Porthcressa seafront, dipping into Becky's Scilly Cakes  to choose my cake that the girls would pick up later.

I then headed towards the path that runs on the west side of Peninnis to Peninnis Head. As I passed the allotments, I stopped by a large patch of ivy to photograph some of the many Ivy Bees that were enjoying it. Ivy Bees have become very common on the Isles of Scilly.
 
Ivy Bee (Colletes hedera) - Porthcressa Allotments

A couple of Red Admirals were also in attendance.
 
Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta) - Porthcressa Allotments

I continued along the Peninnis West Path, seeing a few Small Copper butterflies as I went.
 
Small Copper (Lycaena phlaeas) - Peninnis West Path

Before reaching the head, I saw a couple of pipits on a drystone wall. My ID skills are sadly lacking when it comes to pipits, but I reckon the most likely candidate is Meadow Pipit, which is very common in this area.
 
probable Meadow Pipit (Anthus pratensis) - Peninnis

I spent half an hour on Peninnis head at the spot where the Wrynecks had been seen the previous day. No Wryneck was seen, but I did get some shots of a Wheatear - a species that never fails to excite me.
 
Wheatear (Oenanthe oenanthe) (female) - Peninnis
There had been a stiff westerly breeze along the west side of Peninnis and on the head, so I set off down the east side towards Old Town. As I neared the point where the path levels off and passes through the drystone wall, I put up a bird that I'd not noticed, which flew and dropped down into the ground vegetation. It then flew out again and landed on the drystone wall at a distance. My usual modus operandi is to take the photos first and then check for ID.  Through my binoculars, I was not sure of its identity, but when I zoomed in on my photos I found I'd photographed a Wryneck! These are very heavily cropped images.
 
Wryneck (Jynx torquilla) - Peninnis East Path
As I approached Old Town Church I spotted a Speckled Wood butterfly that looked a bit unusual. The Speckled Woods on the Isles of Scilly are a different sub-species to those found on the mainland. The main distinguishing feature is that where the mainland sub-species tircis have pale cream markings, the sub-species insula on the Scillies have markings that are more orange. This particular specimen had much smaller markings than usual. 
 
Speckled Wood (Pararge aegeria insula) - near Old Town
I continued through Old Town Churchyard, seeing nothing of interest, and walked down the road to Old Town and turned off to Lower Moors.

At the ISBG hide at Lower Moors, there were two Snipe. Again, just distant shots were obtained. I didn't get any shots of the Migrant Hawkers that were sticking to the far side of the pool.
 
Snipe (Gallinago gallinago) - Lower Moors

On the approach to the hide, on the railings as I left, were two Common Darter dragonflies. Here's one of them.

Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (male) - Lower Moors
Just along from the ISBG hide I also photographed a Speckled Wood  butterfly.  This was, in appearance, much as I would expect this species to be. I think that you will agree that it looks rather different to the one shown earlier.

Speckled Wood (Pararge aegeria insula) - near Old Town
I carried on to Rosehill Garden, hoping to find more dragonflies, but only found another Common Darter.

Continuing to Porthloo,  I found a few birds on the beach, including some Pied Wagtails, but only photographed a Rock Pipit. 
 
Rock Pipit (Anthus petrosus) - Porthloo
 It was now time to get back to base and fix myself a very late lunch. 

That afternoon, Melanie drove me out to the entrance to Higher Moors where I had frustratingly distant views of a juvenile Pectoral Sandpiper that blended in so well with the background that I couldn't find it in my viewfinder. I took a few shots with the camera pointing in roughly the right direction and found that I'd actually managed to include the bird in just one of the shots. Here is a very heavily cropped image, from which you can problably understand the difficulty I had.
 
Pectoral Sandpiper (Calidris melanotos) - Porthellick Pool
After about half an hour I lost the bird and gave up as I'd tentatively arranged to meet the girls at Porth Minick beach where they were going to collect sea-glass.

I took the path that goes over Salakee Down, seeing little as I did so. My timing was such that, as I approached the airport runway turning circle,  the sirens started and I had to wait for a plane to taxi up to the circle and turn before taking off.
 
Continuing on my way on the south side  of Salakee Down, the only bird photographed was a Meadow Pipit.

Meadow Pipit (Anthus pratensis) -Salakee Down
From the path to Porth Minick, there are views over to Peninnis. I rather liked this view of the nearer rocky coast.

View from Salakee Down
As Porth Minick came into view, I couldn't see the girls there. I was only a few hundred metres from the beach when I got a message to say that they'd turned back because there was little beach showing as the tide was well-in (a spring tide), and were heading for base. I went onto what was left of the beach and found  two Turnstone there. I sat on a rock and waited patiently and soon one of them came close and allowed some relatively intimate photos.
 
Turnstone (Arenaria interpres) - Porth Minick

A Rock Pipit was similarly obliging.
 
Rock Pipit (Anthus petrosus) - Porth Minick

Whilst on the beach, a Coastguard helicopter passed overhead. I tend to be curious about such aircraft, and looked up details of this one from its registration. I was sorry to learn that it had been involved in a fatal accident on 4th March, 2022. When landing at Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, the downdraught had blown over an 87 year old woman on a nearby footpath, who sustained a serious head injury. It also injured another woman in her 80s who was exiting her car in a nearby car park, when the downdraught caused the car door to slam on her, breaking her pelvis.
 
Coastguard Sikorsky S-92A - G-MCGY - over Porth Minick
The approach to Old Town from Porth Minick is lined with Amaryllis Belladonna, as are so many places on the islands. I couldn't resist a photo of a flower that, to me, epitomises the flora of the Isles of Scilly. 
 
Amaryllis belladonna - Old Town
A Glossy Ibis had been reported at Lower Moors, but was nowhere to be seen when I got there. I didn't stay long, but took the coastal path past Old Town church to Carn Lêh, where some climbers were busy.
 
Climber on Carn Lêh
On a rock in Carn Lêh Cove there were two Shags and a Herring Gull.
 
Shag (Phalacrocorax aristotelis) + Herring Gull (Larus argentatus)  - Carn Lêh Cove

I then followed the path up onto Peninnis in the hope of a better sighting of Wryneck, but it didn't happen. It was good to see both male and female Stonechat as I was beginning to be concerned that I was not seeing this species on Peninnis - a usually reliable area for this species.

Stonechat (Saxicola rubicola) (female) - Peninnis

Stonechat (Saxicola rubicola) (male) - Peninnis
I also took some shots of Dunnock and Meadow Pipit.
 
Dunnock (Prunella modularis) - Peninnis

Meadow Pipit (Anthus pratensis) - Peninnis

I walked down King Edward's Road and by Peninnis Farm thought, momentarily, that I'd found a Stock Dove, until it ran towards me, flashing its leg bands! It was a racing pigeon looking to be fed. As I write this, on 18th October, this bird was spotted on 17th October in Porth Mellon. It seems it was supposed to be flying from North Wales to Belfast but got lost on the way, and has decided that it likes the Isles of Scilly - and who can blame it!

Racing Pigeon - Peninnis Farm
Almost back at base, I went onto Littleporth beach to photograph a pair of Turnstone. 
 
Turnstone (Arenaria interpres) - Littleporth
It had been a record breaking day for me with my fitness tracker recording 24,087 steps (11.92 miles / 17.58 km). I am rather happy with this achievement as much of it was up-hill and down-dale and over uneven or rough terrain.

That night we were requested to batten down the hatches as winds of up to 55 mph (89 kph) were forecast for the following day, accompanied by heavy rain.
 
My bird ID skills are far from well honed and are, I believe, weakening (age and deteriorating eyesight) . If you disagree with any of my IDs, please let me know - I will be most grateful!


I suspect that my next blog post in, as usual, about a week's time will just cover the next two days of our stay on the Isles of Scilly. In the meantime, please take care of yourselves and Nature.

Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard


24 comments:

  1. Of course the Stonechats are my favourites in this report from the Scillies, but the Wryneck takes the biscuit when to comes to dress. I always think they look to be wearing something knitted with wool. I can find no need for ID corrections Richard, though perhaps if I could have seen the leg colour on the 'probable' Meadow Pipit would have had me more certain not Rock.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that I have said this before, Pete, but I can never see a Stonechat without thinking of you!

      I had not thought of that aspect of a Wryneck's plumage, but I can fully see what you mean. I was extremely pleased to see this one, but would have appreciated a closer view for a longer time.

      I note your comment about the probable Meadow Pipit - thank you. I too wondered about Rock Pipit, but also was concious that other pipit species, including Richard's Pipit, are often seen on the Scillies at that time of year.

      Thank you and best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Hi ! very impressed by the Wryneck (Jynx torquilla) ! Its plumage looks like snake skin, which is something new for me. Very beautiful pictures ! Thanks see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete, above, sugests that the Wryneck plumage looks as if it is knitted with wool. Your snake skin suggestion is an interesting one.

      Thank you for your visit - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Hi Richard,

    Another set of fabulous photos. The Wryneck is beautiful, gorgeous markings. The Snipe is also an attractive bird. Wow, that Sandpiper is certainly well camouflaged!! The male Stonechat is beautiful, I occasionally see them around here but never in the garden. We do have a single Dunnock that appears in the garden occasionally, but it is very secretive and it is rare that I can get a photo.

    Wow 17.5 kms is very impressive well done.

    I hope that all is well health wise. My very best wishes to you both. Take care and keep safe, cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Diane!

      The Wryneck is a fabulous bird and, although it was not the rarest bird that was about when we were on the Isles of Scilly, it was my main target for the visit. My only wish is that I'd had better views.

      Lindsay is bearing up quite well while waiting for a hip and other knee replacement, and I must be doing reasonably well if I can still walk those sort of distances, although I'm waiting for the results of a hip x-ray that I had on Thursday - probable osteoarthritis, but not serious.

      My very best wishes to you and Nigel - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Good to have memories evoked again of Scilly!

    Will concur with Meadow Pipits for the earlier photos.

    Lovely to see the Ivy Bee which according to the IOS review first colonised St. Mary's in 2016.

    Would have loved to have seen the American Painted Lady seen a few days back & yesterday one & probably two Green Darners (the American equivalent of our Emperor). seen there yesterday.

    Must make an effort to return next year.

    Lovely set of photos as we've come to expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too would love to have seen the American Painted Lady - I haven't even managed V. cardui this year! If I was a younger and wealthy man, I would probably have had an attempt to twitch the Green Darner(s)!

      Thank you for your continuing encouragement - best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. I am quite sure, Richard, that your primary reason for visiting the Isles of Scilly is to zoom around the island on a golf cart! Having said that, you walked an impressive distance too! I don’t think I have gone that far in quite a while. Extra ice cream would be a fitting reward. The sighting of the Wryneck is very special. I just told Miriam that she has a wry neck, but I don’t think she was sufficiently impressed by the compliment. I’m just glad I didn’t say “wrinkly wry neck!” I have seen this species in South Africa and in Ethiopia, but never in Europe. All in all, I would say that the Isles of Scilly are a bit of a Shanghai-la for you and I expect you will be back there again. Very best wishes to you both - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have much time in that golf cart at all, David. I think I was only in it three times in the week. The girls needed it for most of the time.

      Wryneck was my favourite bird from the visit, although there were a few others that were quite exciting too.

      We've already got a tentative booking for a return to the Isles of Scilly next year - potentially with the five of us again.

      My best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Damn spell-check - Shangri-la not Shanghai-la!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had me wondering for a while if there was a cryptic message in that Shanghai-la, but I came to the right conclusion - the dreaded spell-checker!

      Delete
  7. Hello Richard,
    With the common snipe I thought to myself, wow what a great camouflage, then comes the picture with the pectoral sandpiper, that's what I call perfect camouflage... finding it in the viewfinder.. compliments. I really like the great travel report.
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frank. Fortunately, I found that Pectoral Sandpiper at a later date and in a different location where I was able to get some proper photos!

      Best wishes from a very wet UK - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Hello Richard!!! I didn't know about these islands... I see that they are relatively close to the North of Spain... :-))) Interesting species and beautiful images... A place worth visiting... Happy week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not realised, Ana, that these islands are only about 700km from the North of Spain. There are parts of UK that are further than that from my home in the middle of England. :-}. These islands are very much worth visiting.

      Thank you for your visit - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hello Richard :=)
    Super photos of all the insects and birds. Cute Meadow Pipit and elegant Wheatear images, plus the Turnstone and Stonechat captures which are delightful. I can imagine how thrilled you were when the unidentified bird turned out to be a Wryneck. It's exquisite patterned feathers are beautiful, and also remind me of an expensive designer jumper.
    So sorry to learn that Lindsay is to undergo two more surgeries. I'm also in the queue for a full knee replacement, as soon as there is a place available.
    All the best to you both.
    Sonjia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Wryneck was the absolute highlight of the visit, Sonjia, and my main target for our stay this time. I find it truly remarkable that just various shades of brown can produce such a fabulous plumage.

      We do not know how long Lindsay will have to wait for her knee and hip operations. The waiting list in UK for such procedures is currently running at around two years or more, if one uses our health service. We could shorten the time greatly, but that is very expensive. I hope that you do not have to wait too long for your knee replacement and that all goes well.

      Take good care, and look after that wrist. Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Encantada de ver este gran reportaje. Todas las aves se pueden ver por aquí, el torcecuello no lo he visto todavía, la tarabilla común a veces se acerca al jardín, aunque este año no la he visto ( los gatos de los vecinos siempre están alertas, y siento miedo por los pajaritos ) Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nosotros también tenemos vecinos con gatos, Teresa. Afortunadamente, visitan principalmente de noche, cuando las aves están escondidas de forma segura. Cuando vemos uno en el jardín durante el día, corro hacia el jardín haciendo ruidos como un alma en pena y ¡desaparecen muy rápidamente!

      Espero que encuentres un Torcecuello; son pájaros hermosos.

      Mis mejores deseos - mantente a salvo - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. Trying again to catch up.

    All of the images, along with your narrative, have me looking to book some time soon at a coastal location.

    Congratulations on finding your target bird! The Wryneck is quite unique. I like Pete's knitted wool description. Appropriate for the area, too. That view from Salakee Down is impressive. I'm pretty sure we won't find rocks like those along any of Florida's coastline.

    The young Pectoral Sandpiper seems like a nice find. You already know I love any encounter with Snipe. All of those birds as well as bees, butterflies and dragons - what a trip!

    Hope this attempt to comment is successful.

    Gini and I are well and hope this weekend is being kind to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your persistence in trying to leave a comment, Wally - very much appreciated.

      I hope you manage to have a coastal visit soon, as I will look forward to seeing the results on your blog. I'm sure that you'll find even more to photograph than I did.

      It's good to know that you are both well. We're having a relatively relaxing weekend, prior to a week that looks as if, for me, it is going to be dominated by medical relalted activities. Fingers are crossed!

      My very best wishes to you both - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.