Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Thursday 5 October 2023

Local Observations - 14th to 23rd September, 2023

Header image (while this post is current) - Snipe - Kelham Bridge on 15th September, 2023 

This post, mostly prepared before our departure to the Isles of Scilly, takes my account of my local obesrvations up to the day we departed. It will be a relatively short one when compared to my previous two posts.

Thursday, 14th September          Garden

The male Sparrowhawk was making increasingly frequent visits to the garden. The overall effect was that the number of birds visiting the garden was dropping significantly - through their avoidance of the predator, rather than actual predation. Here was one of its visits on this day

Sparrowhawk (Accipiter nisus) (male) - our garden

Friday, 15th September          Kelham Bridge Nature Reserve  :  Garden

An on-line friend had seen and photographed a Grass Snake at Kelham Bridge NR. I am rather fond of snakes so decided that this day, which was quite bright and sunny after some very wet weather,  would be a good time to visit and see if I had any luck.

I arrived at the parking area and nearly gave up there and then as there were already eight cars parked there. I usually find somewhere between zero and two cars when I get there. I decided to risk it anyway, thinking the cars might belong to dog-walkers or to members of a work-party.

Just through the gate,  I stopped to photograph a Common Darter.

Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (female) - Kelham Bridge NR
Half way along the path to the first hide, I met a camera-porting fellow who advised me that the second hide was rammed full with people hoping to photograph Kingfisher and Grass Snake, but that they were seeing nothing and were unlikely to because of all the noise and vibration coming from the hide. He advised me to go to the first hide where there was some action, albeit at a distance, and that there was only a lady photographer there. This proved to be sound advice.

I arrived at the hide to find it just as he'd said, and parked myself on the left-hand side, where I had a good view of the right-hand edge of the pool in front of the hide.

A Moorhen was dabbling in front of the hide.

Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) - Kelham Bridge NR
 A Snipe was showing well in the same area.

Common Snipe (Gallinago gallinago) - Kelham Bridge NR
Two Green Sandpipers were in front of the hide too. They were soon joined by another Snipe. I have often wondered how the 'green' aspect of the name originated, but can find no reference to this.

Green Sandpiper (Tringa ochropus) - Kelham Bridge NR
A Snipe had a preening session which resulted in a wonderful spray of water. I tried to video this after taking these stills, but the action was not repeated.

Common Snipe (Gallinago gallinago) - Kelham Bridge NR
A Heron came into view from behind the island.

Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea) - Kelham Bridge NR
I now realise that I have a fascination with Snipe, as I cannot resist photographing them, so here is another shot.

Common Snipe (Gallinago gallinago) - Kelham Bridge NR

I also got some better shots of Green Sandpiper, although they remained a little too distant for good results.

Green Sandpiper (Tringa ochropus) - Kelham Bridge NR

I'd been in the hide for about an hour and the person that had been in the hide when I arrived had departed about half an hour previously and gone to try her luck in the second hide. I thought that it was time that I did likewise, hoping to see some dragonflies on the trail between the two hides. In the event, I only found a few more Common Darters. 

The second hide was absolutely full, with people standing and waiting for a turn at the windows. There was a lot of conversation going on too. It seems that there was nothing on view except a couple of Mute Swans. I didn't bother trying to enter but exchanged a few pleasantries with people I knew there before departing after a couple of minutes.

Back at the first hide, I found it deserted and settled in for another session. Little happened, but I did get some more shots of Snipe, with two of them in the frame and then a record shot with four of them in frame.


Common Snipe (Gallinago gallinago) - Kelham Bridge NR

I took some shots of two Moorhen.

Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) - Kelham Bridge NR
For some reason, I decided to take some video. I was glad that I did as I find this clip quite amusing, as it seems to show a male attempting to mate with a female and then trying to look nonchalant having been rejected.

After a while, a group from the second hide arrived. Shortly after their arrival, Paul Burton (a thoroughly good guy that I have known for years) alerted us to a Water Rail starting to show at the end of the island. I just managed to raise my camera as it flew, and was lucky enough to get a shot.

Water Rail (Rallus aquaticus) - Kelham Bridge NR
With the second hide now starting to fill, It was time for me to go.

A relaxed late-afternoon meal in our conservatory gave me the opportunity to photograph a Dunnock which was causing us some concern as it looked a little puffed up. It was also not very alert to human presence. It was not seen again after a few days later.

Dunnock (Prunella modularis) - our garden
Magpies are daily visitors as I write this, and have been observed seeing off the male Sparrowhawk!

Magpie (Pica pica) - our garden
Wednesday, 20th September          Garden
 
The male Sparrowhawk was continuing to be a threat to our avian visitors.

Sparrowhawk (Accipiter nisus) (male) - our garden

Thursday, 21st September          Garden

Jackdaws are usually quite timid visitors to our garden, departing at high speed as soon as they detect movement from the house. I was, therefore, extremely surprised when a Jackdaw landed on the outside windowsill of my study and peared at me from less than a metre away. It stayed there for some time, walking along the windowsill and looking in.
 
Jackdaw (Corvus monedula) - our garden

Saturday, 23rd September          Garden
 
Lindsay can always ID a Robin, even if it is only showing in silhouette or facing away from us. She says it's the legs that give it away. In the second image, below, taken from my study window, I can see what she means!
 
Robin (Erithacus rubecula) - our garden

 

All things being equal, my next blog post, probably in about a week's time, will feature the first part of my account of our recent adventures on the Isles of Scilly.

In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature. Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard
 
 

20 comments:

  1. Hello Richard, great post with lots of different birds. The Sparrowhawk in your garden is a fierce looking bird. No wonder the little birds stay out of sight. Your adventures at the hide are so recognizable. When something special is to be seen than the hides fill up in no time. The same thing happens when I go birding. Patience is than in order. The Snipes, Water Rail and Green Sandpiper interesting birds and great photos. And the Robins are back Autumn is on its way when we see more and more of them. To bad you did not get to see the Grass Snake.
    Take care,
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We came home from the Isles of Scilly to find the feeders empty and most of the regular bird vistors no longer with us, Roos. We are still seeing the Sparrowhawk and I think that its presence, coupled to the lack of seed in the feeders, has caused the birds to find a fast-food service elsewhere.

      I was disappointed at not seeing the Grass Snake as I am rather fond of snakes, but very rarely see one.

      It might be a while before I gat out into nature again as I have a lot of photos to process from our holiday.

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Hello Richard,

    Another splendid post with many garden bird photos in spite of the Sparrowhawk's visits.One can't help thinking what a beautiful creature it is. I'm really surprised that the Magpie was brave enough to chase the Sparrowhawk away. .Lovely sharp shots of the adorable Robin. I also know what Lindsay means, and it also does a few bobs up and down with it's tail usually upright which I find most endearing. I enjoyed seeing your action images of the water birds splashing playfully, and the short video.:=)
    Until next time
    All the best to you both
    Sonjia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sonjia. In the balance, I feel rather privileged that the Sparrowhawk is visiting us. It is, as you note, a magnificent creature. The Magpie was chasing off the male Sparrowhawk. I wonder if it would be so bold with a female Sparrowhawk as the female is much larger than the male and takes much bigger prey.

      A Robin will always brighten up a garden and bring joy, but there is a side to their character that is not so pleasant. The males are very territorial and will fight to the death with a male that intrudes on its territory, as I have seen for myself.

      My very best wishes - take good care of that wrist - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. More interesting local observations Richard, and I'm thinking some behavioral traits by the seemingly rejected male Moorhen as he dipped his bill in the water and continued to follow her after the dismount!

    Looking forward to seeing your Scilly findings and images Richard....Kind Regards Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Moorhen clip was, for me, food for thought and amusement, Pete.

      We had very mixed weather on the Isles of Scilly with strong winds for much of the time and although there were some 'good birds' around, I didn't get to see many of them clearly, or photograph them. I have yet to process most of my photos but, so far, the results have been a little disappointing.

      My best wishes to you and KT - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Wow, Richard, that first Sparrowhawk photo is astonishing. I loved it. Congratulations for the observations. I love Robins, they're a winter bird in my city, although they breed in the forests nearby.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be quick if I want to take a photo of a Sparrowhawk in our garden, Guillermo, as they do not stop for long and if my wife sees one she bangs on the window to send it away as she does not want it to take our birds.

      Robins do breed in the woods and forests in UK, but they are also very much birds of domestic gardens all year round.

      My very best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. I know that the Sparrowhawk is a bit of a challenge in your garden, Richard, but it is a spectacular bird and your photographs are superb, especially the first one. It’s enough to convince me that it knows where to come for a portrait! The pictures of the Robin are especially appealing, and as soon as Miriam sees these she will be oohing and ahing. There is a universal appeal about that bird that does not diminish one iota with familiarity. As for the video, what can one say? I think we can all sympathize with the poor fellow, who certainly gave it his best shot (or at least tried to) and a little strutting may even even serve to convince us all, himself included, that the deed was done, the union consummated, the fireworks blazed! An, the vagaries of true love - or was that just plain lust? I think so! Very best wishes to you and Lindsay - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to take my shots of the Sparrowhawk when Lindsay is not around, David, as she bangs on the window to frighten it off if she sees it. Thankfully, we've not fallen out over our differing attitude to the species.

      All joking aside, the question as to whether birds are capable of love is an interesting one. Certainly, as you well know, many species of bird pair up for life and will defend that relationship against intruders. Then there's the undeniable devotion that most birds show to their offspring until they reach a stable level of maturity. I say 'most' because cuckoos came to mind.

      Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hello Richard,
    when the hiding places are overcrowded you can't get any peace and quiet. If you could post pictures of the hiding places, I would be interested to know how they are built. Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Frank. The hides at that particular place are very basic and made from old shipping containers. I do not have any pictures of them and, because of how they are postioned. they are only viewable from the outside at the door end. Holes have been cut in the sides and frames have been fitted so that a wooden shutter can be raised to keep the weather out when the hide is not being used. They are also fitted with simple benches to sit on. I will try and take some pictures next time I go.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photos. Almost the same birds we see here. I like the sparrowhank. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caroline - l like the Sparrowhawk too!

      Best wishes - - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Gracias por tan maravilloso reportaje. Todas las aves me gustan, pero especialmente el petirrojo. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Teresa. Aunque es un ave común, el petirrojo siempre será un ave especial para mí. Mis mejores deseos para la próxima semana - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hi Richard!!! Great variety of birds around you... You are lucky... Happy Sunday and week ahead...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana. Yes, I do feel lucky to have local wildlife to photograph - I just wish I could do the job as well as you do!

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. (Apparently, my first attempt at leaving a comment failed. My WordPress and your Blogger do not seem to care much for each other.)

    When viewing your selection of images, I feel like a diner at a gourmet buffet dinner. Unlike an actual buffet, however, I am not limited by the size of my plate and can joyously select all items offered. Not only that, if I desire, I can go through the line again for additional helpings of exquisite nature photography.

    Just as many of your fans adore the flashy stars of the bird world such as the intently gazing Sparrowhawk and brightly colored Robin, so do I. For me, of equal interest is - all the rest. My imagination allowed me to walk with you as you scanned the sides of the path for a grass snake, appreciated the posing Common Darter, breathed in the fresh air and felt the anticipation of what might be next.

    We share a fascination (obsession?) for Snipe. They are so unique in appearance and behavior. Your photograph of the Snipe shaking off water is quite special. Nice reflex on snapping an escape of the Water Rail!

    Our temperatures are scheduled to drop by more than ten degrees tonight as a front rolls through. We hope to find a few migratory warblers in the morning as they head for southern climes.

    Gini and I hope you have both recovered from the Scilly adventure and that your house issues have been resolved. Take very good care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be surprised if Blogger was the culprit, Wally. I've been having great difficulty leaving comments on othe peoples' blog sites - particularly those hosted by Blogger!

      I seem to remember that we've touched on the mutual delights of Snipe in the past. I usually do quite well with them on the Isles of Scilly, but, sadly, not on this last visit, although recently there has been talk of a Wilson's Snipe there - yet to be confirmed I believe.

      I hope that cold front delivers the goods for you. We're going through a really warm patch at the moment. I went out dragon hunting this afternoon for an hour and a half, and got over-heated!

      We're hoping the rectification of the main house problem will start on Thursday. At this point in time we have no idea as to how serious the problem is. All we know is that, somewhere behind a wall, water is leaking and damaging the flooring in the dining room and downstairs cloakroom.

      Off to have another eye injection tomorrow, which will restrict my activities for a couple of days, otherwise, things seem to be moving along quite well.

      My very best wishes to you and Gini. Thank you for your heart-warming and entertaining words - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.