Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Sunday 13 August 2023

New Forest, 2023:- Pt.4 - 11th & 12th July

Herewith, Pt.4 of my account of our family holiday in The New Forest. If you missed any of the earlier installments, you can find them by clicking 'Older Posts' at the bottom of this post.

In spite of a dire weather forecast before we had set off from home at the end of the previous week, we had got off relatively lightly as far as adverse weather was concerned, although the winds had been less than ideal. However, things went downhill a little at about this time, although the weather was still workable with.

Tuesday, 11th July          Cadman's Pool : Cadnam Common

The day was forecast to be dull and windy, with the occasional light shower of rain, and that is just what it turned out to be. The night before, we had agreed that this would be a family day and, as Georgie (our granddaughter) would be unlikely to surface much before mid-day, we all had a bit of a much-needed lie-in, and it was getting on for 09.00 before I was showered and ready for breakfast. 

I spent some time sorting out the aftermath of Sunday night's moth trapping, but much of the remaing morning was spent chatting. When Georgie did join us, it was decided that the girls would take Georgie crabbing. This was definitely 'not my thing', so I  fixed up a picnic and departed to try and find a location that had been recommended to me - Cadman's Pool. I guess this place might have been more attractive if it was not so windy and dull, and there had been less people around, but the only photos I took were of New Forest Ponies that had come to the pool for a drink.
 
New Forest Ponies - Cadman's Pool
From there, I  moved on to Cadnam Moor. Yes, it can be confusing having a Cadman and a Cadnam relatively close to each other! My visit was just to check if, by some slim chance, there were any dragonflies around the small pool - there weren't, but I did find ponies and donkeys feeding and drinking at the pool. One of the donkeys was, unusually, white, and it did look to be rather old.
 

Donkey - Cadnam Common

New Forest Pony - Cadnam Common
It then started to rain, so I headed back to the car and went into Lyndhurst to do some shopping and have an ice cream.

I got back to base to find the girls had just beaten me back. They had not managed to go crabbing as, on arrival, they had found the place rather busy. A major part of Georgie's autism is that she has difficulty with people, especially children, and she just couldn't manage to get out of the car.
 
After a quick coffee, the girls wanted to go into Lyndhurst to visit 'Down To The Wood' - a shop selling a huge variety of attractive wooden ornaments, trinkets, games, etc. Of course, the main objective was for Georgie to have a huge tub of sorbet from the ice cream shop, resulting in me having my second ice cream of the afternoon.

The day ended with a relaxing evening back at base.
 
Wednesday, 12th July          Keyhaven : Janesmoor Pond : Stoney Cross : Cadnam Common
 
The forecast for the day was for fairly high winds, with sunny spells in the morning and some heavy rain showers in the afternoon. It made sense, therefore, for me to do the bulk of my outdoor activities in the morning. I am rarely able to manage an early departure, mainly for technical reasons, but I did get out at about 08.45 and arrived in the Keyhaven area at 09.30. 

The car parking area was full when I arrived, but as I turned the car round someone departed. At the gate, two persons who were obviously birders were chatting. As I approached the gate, one of them said "it's gone". It turns out that, unbeknown to me, the twitchers had been out in force as there had been a Curlew Sandpiper on the reserve. This would have been a 'lifer' for me.

I spent three hours on a circular walk, seeing a few birds, all at a distance, and a few butterflies. Frustratingly, I had my fourth sighting of the week of a Marbled White butterfly here, and still came away without a shot.

The walk southward from the car park to the sea wall, as usual, yielded mainly insects to photograph.
 
Common Blue Damselfly (Enallagma cyathigerum) (male) - Keyhaven Marshes

Gatekeeper (Pyronia tithonus) (male) - Keyhaven Marshes
Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta) - Keyhaven Marshes
From the path to the sea wall there are occasional views through to the marshes on the west side of the path. A distant Grey Heron seemed to have a punk hairdo, and the sight of an even more distant Little Ringed Plover had me quite excited as it is 16 years since I last saw and photographed one.
 
Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea) - Keyhaven Marshes

Little Ringed Plover (Charadrius dubius) - Keyhaven Marshes

On reaching the sea wall, I headed westward on the lower path beside Fishtail Lagoon. Here, the juvenile Shelduck were mainly sleeping on an island, while an adult was out on the water.

Shelduck (Tadorna tadorna) (juvenile) - Keyhaven Marshes

Shelduck (Tadorna tadorna) (female) - Keyhaven Marshes

There were a couple of Redshank in the water at the edge of the nearside of the island.

Redshank (Tringa totanus) - Keyhaven Marshes
A Lapwing was obligingly rather closer than most things.
 
Lapwing (Vanellus vanellus) - Keyhaven Marshes

Most of my time, however, was focussed on photographing those irresistable Avocets. I thought this youngster was particularly charming.

Avocet (Recurvirostra avosetta) (juvenile) - Keyhaven Marshes
The adults were quite active. I have included a video clip to show the feeding action, and the sound may give you an indication of the wind factor. I was quite surprised as to how quick that sweeping action was.

Avocet (Recurvirostra avosetta) - Keyhaven Marshes



Avocet (Recurvirostra avosetta) - Keyhaven Marshes

I then continued towards Keyhaven Lagoon. I had been seeing a few birds at a distance that had me a little puzzled. They were behaving like wagtails, and were grey and white, but had short tails. As I approached Keyhaven Lagoon, three of these were on the path ahead of me. One flew up onto the fence beside the path and I was able to get a shot before it flew off. From my photo, I reckon it was an immature Pied or White Wagtail. Any help with nailing the ID would be much appreciated. Note:- Pete Woodruff has kindly advised me that he believes this to be a Pied Wagtail, and as Pete is a life-long birder I am more than happy to accept this - thank you, Pete.

Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii) (immature) - Keyhaven Marshes
Keyhaven Lagoon didn't yield anything of great interest, and the only thing I photographed was a Common Blue butterfly.
 

Common Blue (Polyommatus icarus) (male) - Keyhaven Marshes

The path then continues round and ends up at the place where the Solent cuts inland to Keyhaven. There I found Little Egret and Oystercatcher.
 
Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) - Keyhaven

Oystercatcher (Haematopus ostralegus) - Keyhaven

I then headed back eastwards, along the ancient highway that is now a cycle way and constitutes the northern edge of the reserve. In the past, I have seen dragonflies along here, including Golden-ringed, but I had no such luck this time. Part way along this track, I took a northward path through a wooded section that passed close to a good-sized pond. However, the bushes between the path and the water were much more dense than when I previously visited and I could not get a view of the water. I did find a damselfly though.
 
Blue-tailed Damselfly (Ischnura elegans) (male) - by Keyhaven Marshes

Having turned around and gone back to the ancient highway, I continued towards the car park. This stretch was quite rich with butterflies.
 
Comma (Polygonia c-album) - by Keyhaven Marshes

Peacock (Aglais io) - by Keyhaven Marshes

Large White (Pieris brassicae) - by Keyhaven Marshes

Holly Blue (Celastrina argiolus) - by Keyhaven Marshes

Small Skipper (Thymelicus sylvestris) (female) - by Keyhaven Marshes

I couldn't resist a shot of one of nature's architectural perfections.
 
Teasel (Dipsacus fullonum) - by Keyhaven Marshes
Shortly before reaching my car, there was a section of track with an open aspect to the north. While looking around, I photographed a couple of distant birds in flight. To my surprise, only when looking at my photos on the computer, I found that one of them was a Sand Martin.
 
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) - by Keyhaven Marshes

Sand Martin (Riparia riparia) - by Keyhaven Marshes
I had my picnic lunch at the car, then contacted the girls to arrange to meet up. We settled on meeting at Stoney Cross, and I arrived there and got a message to say that they were just down the road at Janesmoor Pond. They'd stopped there because Georgie had seen Donkeys and wanted to photograph them.

After a short session there, we went down the Road to the Stoney Cross parking area, and a very heavy rain shower started as we arrived. Melanie (our daughter) and Georgie went out in the rain to photograph some deer. I waited until the rain stopped before I went to photograph them! In the meantime, Melanie and Georgie had set off for Cadnam Common, using the what3words reference that I'd given Melanie.
 
Fallow Deer are known for their wide variation in colour. This group was entirely comprised of males of three or more years of age, as witnessed by the antlers.
 
Fallow Deer (Dama dama) (male) - Stoney Cross

They were very relaxed about the proximity of humans, as can be seen in the following video clips.

We caught up with Melanie and Georgie before they reached Cadnam Common as they had stopped to photograph some donkeys. We pulled up behind them and Lindsay started to get out of the car but was stopped in her tracks by the rapid approach of a donkey coming to greet her. I had opened my window to take some photos but I had a donkey's head in through the window before I managed. It was far too close for my camera to focus on.

Until I was informed a couple of days prior to this, I was unaware that there is now a fine of up to £1,000 for feeding or petting the livestock (deer, ponies, donkeys, pigs) which roam free in the New Forest, and I can now understand why.

After a brief interlude here, we moved on to Cadnam Common,  where we all got out for a walk, although Lindsay didn't make it as far as the pool. Melanie and Georgie headed back to the car, while I spent a short time looking for dragonflies, although the light was not good. I'd not long found one and was photographing a male Broad-bodied Chaser dipping the rear of its abdomen into the water (as shown in the video clip, below), when the heavens opened and I  got soaked before I got back to the car. I am not sure what this dragonfly was doing (perhaps just washing its anal appendages?), and would be grateful for any suggestions.
 
Broad-bodied Chaser (Libellula depressa) (male) - Cadnam Common

Back at the car, the air-conditioning in the car dried me out somewhat, so we were able to shop for gifts, cakes, and ice creams in Lyndhurst before heading back to base for a relaxing rest of afternoon and evening.
 
 
It is planned that my next blog post will cover the final day of our New Forest break, and a brief mention of the journey home the following day.
 
In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature.
 
Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard 


24 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. The New Forest is a wonderful area.

      Delete
  2. Great header Richard and I am amazed they are so casual with people around, but I guess they are used to it.

    As always, I love the horses and I agree that the little white donkey looks like he is a bit aged. Dear little fellow.

    I quite fancy that punk hairstyle on the heron, so funny. The Avocet is a charming bird and I am sure I could sit and watch them for hours, and the video shows just how fast they work the water with their beaks. Thank goodness we now have a decent connection so I can watch these. A year ago, I would never have been able to watch any videos and probably because of the size of the post, I doubt if I would have been able to see it at all. Love the shot of the Avocet with open wings, the markings show so well and they are quite beautiful.

    As for all the other photos, they are all fabulous as always, well done, it seems like despite the weather you took some great photos.

    Very best wishes to you both and the family. Keep well and take care, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite surprised at how confiding those deer were, Diane. These shots were taken from the edge of a busy car park with an ice cream van in attendance. I guess that they were just used to humans.

      I suspect that your internet connection may be faster than ours. We've had problems lately, with the connection frequently dropping out (caused me to lose the whole of a virtually completed draft of a blog post five days ago!). Sometimes we drop to a dowload speed of about 3 megabits/second.

      My best wishes to you both - have a great day on Saturday - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Hello Richard,
    first the heron has to go to the hairdresser ..;-)) just a fun great amount that made a lot of fun looking at it again. The deer are my favorite..
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that the heron probably likes it like that, and is just a bird with attitude ;-}

      You were in my mind when I posted the photos of the deer as I thought that you would like them.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Richard this is truly a wonderful and diverse collection of photographs. Thank you for sharing so much with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret, for your much-appreciated visit and your kind words - best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Hi Richard: I am not sure that I understand the meaning of the term "crabbing". Does it mean going out with the intention of capturing crabs for the pot? If so, it wouldn't be my choice of activity either. That white donkey really does look old and a little doddery. Perhaps it's age that has caused it to turn white - just like humans! At least they don't go bald! I love the shot of the Oystercatcher - a very enigmatic bird. We don't have them at around the Great Lakes so I am looking forward to renewing my acquaintance with Black Oystercatchers on a visit to Vancouver Island next month. Wonderful shot of the Avocet with wings outspread too. Looks like you had a great day, fuelled by an excess of ice cream, and your pictures as always are first class. Best wishes to you and Lindsay - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David. 'Crabbing' in this context is, primarily, an amusing pastime for children, and involves tying pieces of bacon to the end of a string and dangling them in the water. The crabs (usually quite small) can't resist the bacon and cling onto it securely as they are hauled out of the water. They are (to the best of my knowledge) then dropped back into the water during, or at the end of (if they've been kept in a bucket), the session.

      I shall keep my fingers crossed for you finding the Black Oystercatchers when you visit Vancouver Island in September, and look forward to reading about it on your blog.

      Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Well you sure can put on a great commentary with equally great images of your continuing New Forest adventures Richard, including an excellent header of the Fallow Deer. Your wagtail is Pied Wagtail for me.

    Kind Regards from the far north to Richard and all....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the wagtail ID, Pete. I am more than happy to go along with that, and will adjust the text accordingly.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Great new forest with many species. Wonderful photos as well.
    Greetings Lasse (sellberg nature photo)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lasse, for your visit and kind words. As you commented as 'Anonymous' I am not able to make a return visit.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Excellent photos of the birds, butterflies, insects and deers. Hav ea nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such an interesting post, Richard. I loved the dragonflies, as usual, but I especially liked the grey donkey. Did you know the last place in W Europe where apparently wild asses lived is my area? Nobody really knows what they were but they were described in texts as late as the 16th century.
    Anyway, I hope you are having a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that interesting fact about wild asses, Guillermo. I was not aware of this.

      It has been one of my better weeks this week, I'm pleased to report, with a worthwhile short excursion out on Wednesday. However, now it is cold and raining!

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Hello Richard, to bad for the weather but as you show it turned out not bad with the observations of birds, butterflies etc. So good to read that mixing family vissits and nature together can be a great succes with all the goodies at the end. Your photos are wonderful as always.
    Warm regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were lucky, Roos, that the weather was not as bad as it was forecast to be on most days. Sadly, it seems to be only me in the family that has a real love of wildlife. The rest of the family just tolerate it - and, thankfully, my interest in wildlife too!

      Best wishes - sray safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  11. This is the way a vacation should be!

    A change of venue from the familiar home environment, time with family and an incredible photo session with the locals!

    Yes, it rained. No, you didn't see some things you would have liked. Based on these incredible images, however, the trip has so far been a brilliant success. In my opinion.

    An outing which includes photographs of Avocets, Oystercatchers, butterflies, dragons and damsels - with deer for dessert - I mean, that's a good day indeed. I've review the post three times now in an effort to announce a "favorite" image. Can't be done. They are all too good.

    We continue to dodge thunderstorms and doctor appointments in our pursuit of visiting Mother Nature. A never-ending battle lately. The good news is we are both feeling great and are even seeing a few early migratory warblers.

    Gini and I truly hope you and Lindsay are well today. Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a rather wonderful vacation, Wally, in a great location too. The wildlife is relatively abundant, and the New Forest has a few endemics in the insect world, although I have not yet spotted one!

      We don't have much in the way of thunderstorms to avoid, but those medical visits, added to child-minding duties in the school holidays are distracting us from some of the other pelasures of life. Lindsay has recently been through a rather rough patch and was back on her crutches for a while, but she has improved greatly during the week. Otherwise, all is good here.

      My very best wishes to you and Gini - - - Richard

      Delete
  12. Otro precioso reportaje, me ha encantado verlo. Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Teresa

      Los mejores deseos - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.