Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Saturday 19 August 2023

New Forest, 2023:- Pt.5 - 13th & 14th July

Herewith, Pt.5 (the final part) of my account of our family holiday in The New Forest. If you missed any of the earlier installments, you can find them by clicking 'Older Posts' at the bottom of this post.

Thursday, 13th July          Normandy Lagoon : Hatchet Moor : Pig Bush 

This was our last day at the property, with us having to vacate the premises by 10.00 the following day. The local weather forecast for the day was for it to be cloudy and breezy, with occasional heavy showers. However, that for the south coast, which was only about 10 miles (16 km) away, was for sunny periods and a relatively low chance of rain. A return to the coast was, therefore, indicated. 

I left base at 09.45 and about half way to my destination ran into torrential rain, requiring the windscreen wipers to be on their high speed setting. It was sunny, but rather windy when I arrived at the point to park to gain access to Normandy Lagoon. I arrived at the lagoon to find someone with tractor and trailer collecting a few victims of avian influenza. I get the impression, however,  that this horrific and very worrying disease is having a much greater impact on birds the further north one goes.
 
I spent the first part of my visit trying for flight shots as I need practice in that aspect of photography. Although quite distant, I was quite pleased to get the shot with both Common Tern and Little Tern, which were having a bit of an altercation.
 
Oystercatcher (Haematopus ostralegus) - Normandy Lagoon

Common Tern (Sterna hirundo) and Little Tern (Sternula albifrons) - Normandy Lagoon

Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) - Normandy Lagoon
Common Tern (Sterna hirundo) - Normandy Lagoon

An Avocet was at one end of the island with a youngster.
 
Avocet (Recurvirostra avosetta) (adult + juvenile) - Normandy Lagoon

You may have noticed the gull in that last shot. Its identity puzzled me for a while but, having seen it closer and side-on, I came to the conclusion that it was a young Black-headed Gull.
 
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) (immature) - Normandy Lagoon
Here are a few of the other birds that I photographed on the lagoon.
 
Common Tern (Sterna hirundo) - Normandy Lagoon

Oystercatcher (Haematopus ostralegus) - Normandy Lagoon

Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) - Normandy Lagoon

With the sea wall behind the path I was on, it was relatively sheltered from the southerly wind. This brought out some butterflies.

Small Skipper (Thymelicus sylvestris) (female) - Normandy Lagoon

Common Blue (Polyommatus icarus) (male) - Normandy Lagoon


I'd told Lindsay  that  I would be back between 12.00 and 12.30 to take her out for lunch, so my time here was limited. I started heading back to the car, but took a couple of shots of an overhead  immature Black-headed Gull (maybe the same one as seen earlier?).



Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) (immature) - Normandy Lagoon
I left at about 11.30, giving me just enough time for a lightning-quick visit to the pond at Hatchet Moor. Considering the visit lasted about 15 minutes, it was quite productive.
 
A young Robin looked as if it was establishing a territory

Robin (Erithacus rubecula) (juvenile) - Hatchet Moor

At this location, I have found, particularly in breezy weather, that the gorsey area to the south of the small pond can be very productive for perched dragonflies - especially Keeled Skimmers. It is definitely worth enduring the spikes of the gorse while exploring this area!

Keeled Skimmer (Orthetrum coerulescens) (male) - Hatchet Moor

In past blog posts, I have spoken of the metallic gold appearance of fresh female Keeled Skimmers. This next one is a rather mature one and more like old gold, whereas the one following that is even more mature and looks decidedly tarnished.


Keeled Skimmer (Orthetrum coerulescens) (female) - Hatchet Moor
In a previous post, I mentioned that I'd missed seeing a Sundew until I'd viewed my photos. It happened again! In the first image of the female Keeled Skimmer above, you may notice something bottom right which I did not notice at the time of shooting - I guess that I was wholly pre-occupied with the dragonfly. That image was quite highly cropped from the original. This gave me the ability to extract a Sundew image from that area of the image.
 
Round-leaved Sundew (Drosera rotundifolia) - Hatchet Moor

I also found a Common Darter. This image serves as a reminder as to how uncomfortable waling through the gorse can be!

Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (female) - Hatchet Moor
Lindsay had requested a visit to Lepe, on the shore of the Solent with views over to the Isle of Wight, with lunch at the cafe there. Melanie and Georgie asked to join us and we were, of course, delighted to have them along. 

On the way back, we stopped at the intriguingly name Pig Bush car park as it had been recommended to me by a fellow I'd been chatting to at Normandy that morning. This brief visit was an interesting one as we saw two very large beetles, one of which was a Lesser Stag Beetle - a species that I'd first seen only four weeks previously in Norfolk. The other was one that was as bright green as an emerald.
 
Lesser Stag Beetle ( Dorcus parallelipipedus) (female) - Pig Bush

Rose Chafer (Cetonia aurata) - Pig Bush

The real treat however was getting a Stonechat fix. I'd been hearing Stonechats quite frequently during the week but, frustratingly, they'd not been showing themselves. This time, I enjoyed several sightings and got some photos, including some of what I  believe is a juvenile.
 
Stonechat (Saxicola rubicola) (juvenile) - Pig Bush

Stonechat (Saxicola rubicola) (male) - Pig Bush
 Thus, the wildlife and photography aspects of the holiday came to a delightful end.

The rest of the afternoon and evening were spent sorting out for the following days departure, with a break to go and fetch a Chinese takeaway for our evening meal.

Friday, 14th July          Lyndhurst to Ashby de la Zouch

The forecast was for a wet day all day. Melanie and Georgie departed at around 09.40 and Lindsay and I got away on the dot of 10.00. It rained heavily for the whole of the journey home, and the traffic was horrific. We like to take a cross-country route rather than use motorways. What should have been a journey of less than four hours duration, including a brief stop for a picnic lunch, took six and a half hours. Melanie likes to use motorways and her journey (she doesn't stop for lunch) should have been about three hours long, but it took her about six and a half hours too!

We all had enjoyed a wonderful break in the New Forest and look forward to returning at some time - maybe next year.

 

This break brought home to me a couple of factors that I'd not really given much thought to before. The first was, not entirely unexpectedly, that I no longer have the stamina for long walks without stopping for the occasional rest. The second is that my powers of observation are rather diminished, largely due to my deteriorating eyesight (cataracts, and both wet and dry macular degeneration), but also partly due to my reduced stability which means that I have to concentrate on where I'm puting my feet. Unless I'm standing still, I don't spend as much time as I should do looking upward. The main realisation was that the first factor contributes to the second! As I get tired, I lose concentration and find myself daydreaming as I walk along, and forgetting the job in hand! I have a lot to be thankful for, however, and I think that I'm doing OK for my age. While I am able to get out and take walks in nature with my camera I shall remain happy.

 

I believe that my next blog post will cover more local observations and be a catch-up, as I have not touched on this subject since reporting on a visit in late May!
 
In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature.
 
Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard

 

14 comments:

  1. Hello Richard
    I look forward to my vacation all year round and then...bang it's over again.. it's probably like that everywhere. Your vacation with the family is over now, but the memories and beautiful pictures remain with you, so that the joy for the next year should be all the greater, stay healthy
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It being 18 years since I retired, Frank, I am lucky in that I am free to go on vacation whenever I like, with the main limitation being cost, followed by weather, followed by travel arrangements. I find that I am constantly looking forward to the next vacation. We have another vacation with the family on the horizon - I just hope that we can get there!

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Beautiful holiday in the New Forest, and what loads of birds and wild things Richard, love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great place for a holiday, Bob, with plenty to see. However, this note from you has just reminded me that I have never visited the Forest of Dean. I think that I should put that right before it's too late!

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Good morning, Richard: It looks like you ended your visit with a bang. Lots of mouth-watering images here, with a suitable level of envy on my part! The picture of the Common Tern and Little Tern in flight together is just precious. I suspect that it's not often an opportunity like this arises and you took full advantage of it. It's good to see the Avocets doing well. They are enigmatic birds with eternal appeal. I am glad that you went through your pictures so that we are all able to appreciate the Sundew. It looks beautiful and voracious all at the same time. I understand fully about these unpredictable long journeys home, and you have my sympathy. To visit my daughter in Ottawa it's about six hours door to door, with a stop to get gas and have a quick bite. Last time we returned there were delays all across Toronto, and it wound up taking eight and a half hours. Not we wanted, I can tell you. Take care of those eyes and start to plan your next adventure! Best wishes to you and Lindsay - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello David

      It's difficult enough to find a Little Tern, so getting one with a Common Tern in the same shot was a bonus I much-appreciated. Having said that, I suspect that you and I probably saw these two species together when we visited the Long Nanny from Beadnell in Northumberland. If you remember, there were lots of jellyfish on the beach as we approached.

      From your past blog posts, I get the impression that Toronto traffic can be a bit of a nightmare.

      I'm pleased to report that the wet macular degeneration is under control with continuing injections into my right eye - I thank my lucky stars that it's only in one eye! The injections are not as bad as they sound. It's the inconvenience of being out of action with badly impaired vision for about 24 hours that's the real bind, especially as Lindsay has not been able to drive me home on several occasions, so I've had to call on someone else to take me there and back - the hospital is about 15km away. The next adventure is coming soon.

      My very best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. I love your in flight shotsi think you have done a great job. Did you ever discover if that Oystercatcher had only one leg, or was the other one tucked up in its feathers?

    The Stonechat is beautiful and I rather fancy the name for that car park, though as I only know of Bush pigs it sounds a bit back to front to me!!

    Since we now live in the heart of the country, and if we have to wait for 2 cars to pass, it seems like a traffic jam !! If we have to go on the highway which is pretty rare it is a huge shock to the system.

    Keep walking while you can. I do not have a problem though I lack time, and when I do walk I am inclined not to look where I am going, too much of interest around me, twice I have landed on my camera, not very good for it !!!!

    Very best wishes to you both, when is Lindsay due to go into hospital again? Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that the Oystercatcher was fully legged, Diane. Many waders seem to rest with one leg tucked up under them.

      I would love to know how Pig Bush got its name. I have been a few times to the New Forest, but had been totally unaware of this place until the last day of our stay. I certainly intend to return there if we get back to the New Forest - as I hope we will.

      I certainly intend to keep walking as much as I can. My target is 7,000 steps per day. I averaged about 11,000 in the New Forest, but dropped back to around 6,000 after we got home. Managed to average 8,267 last week, so quite happy.

      I suspect that falling on your camera is more detrimental to you than it is the camera, Diane - do take care.

      We have no idea, at this stage, when Lindsay will be in hospital again. If we wait for the National Health, it could be a year or more away. We're still looking at thepossibility of her having the op privately. I'm trying to encourage her to do so, but she is reluctant to move forward as she's still not out of the woods after the 'wrong knee part' operation.

      My very best wishes to you both. If I'm not in touch beforehand, have a great day on 28th - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. To catch the terns in flight is not easy, but that you did very well ! Many species and great photos from your holiday. I am retired too but I must say I'm looking forward to "holiday trips" very much still ;)
    Greetings Lasse (sellberg nature photo)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lasse. Thank you for your visit and kind words. I tried to find you on the internet, but Norton Antivirus blocked me saying yours was a dangerous site - maybe you need to talk to Norton about this? Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. A terrific finale to a fantastic vacation!

    "A tale of two terns." That's a rare image, in my opinion. Then, you top it off with the "discovery" of the hidden Sundew! Brilliant.

    I really love the metallic look of the female Keeled Skimmer. Old gold is still gold.

    I totally empathize with your summary of physical limitations. My heart still plans for a four mile hike but my legs, heart and brain say "nope".

    Gini and I wish the best for you and Lindsay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wally

      Just a brief response for the reason that I mentioned in my comment on your lovely blog.

      My very best wishes to you and Gini - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Fantastic post, Richard. The sundew is amazing, I've only seen this species once in NW Spain a few years ago. But the terns photo is impressive!! Congratulations on such fantastic holiday, you really had a good time.
    Best wishes
    Guillermo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Guillermo. Sundew are not uncommon in the right environment in UK. It is just that I forget to look for them!

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.