Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Tuesday 1 August 2023

New Forest, 2023:- Pt.2 - 9th July

In contrast to my last, rather long, blog post (which you can find here if you missed it;- https://peglerbirding.blogspot.com/2023/07/new-forest-2023-pt1-7th-8th-july.html), this one is very much shorter and covers just one day of our holiday. I did consider adding in a further day, but this would have have made this post even longer than the previous one. This short one will, therefore, give you time to take breath before the next onslaught! 

Sunday, 9th July          Eyeworth Pond : Cadnam Common

With the alarm not set, Lindsay and I awoke rather late in the morning and were not up and about until just before nine!

So far, during this holiday, I'd only been out alone, and the girls had been out together. As our granddaughter, Georgie, is semi-nocturnal, making plans for us all is rather difficult as she is rarely available before mid-day. This day, I suggested to Lindsay that we both went out for a scenic drive in the morning, and this we did, returning to base at 12.15. 

We were soon turned round with all four of us, in two cars, heading to Keyworth Pond to feed the ducks. Melanie and Georgie had an en-route diversion and, while Lindsay and I waited for them to arrive, I went to the dam area to direct them to where we were parked, and photographed a Red-eyed Damselfly while I waited.

Red-eyed Damselfly (Erythromma najas) (male) - Eyeworth Pond
I had brought some bird seed with us, and the ducks eagerly snaffled this up. Sadly, the Mandarins that I'd seen here in previous years were not in evidence. I'd put some seed on a gate and gate post, and this was soon found.
 
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) (female + male) - Eyeworth Pond

Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) (female) - Eyeworth Pond
The girls didn't stay very long, and Lindsay switched car from ours to our daughter's while I  went off dragon hunting round the pond. I had little success, missing a shot of a Kingfisher that flashed by, but did take a few other photos before departing for Cadnam Common.
 
There were two areas where water lilies were growing - one group were white and the other a deep pink. My lens wouldn't allow me to take photos of those groups, so here are a couple of individual flowers. The insects seemed to like the white ones.
 
Pink Water Lily - Eyeworth Pond

White Water Lily - Eyeworth Pond

Small Copper (Lycaena phlaeas) - Eyeworth Pond

Azure Damselfly (Coenagrion puella) (male) - Eyeworth Pond

Blue-tailed Damselfly (Ischnura elegans) (male) - Eyeworth Pond
The visit to Cadnam Common was a little more successful, with some photo opportunities with an ovipositing Emperor dragonfly, and a charming interlude with a pony and its foal. The Four-spotted Chasers were aggressive with the Emperor and with their own species, and not at all photographically obliging.
 
On arrival, a male Emperor was flying around, looking as if it wanted to settle. I was surprised when it did settle - low down, behind some reeds. It was not the most photogenic of locations.

Emperor (Anax imperator) (male) - Cadnam Common
This Four-spotted Chaser, a rather worn specimen, was even less obliging.
 
Four-spotted Chaser (Libellula quadrimaculata) (male) - Cadnam Common
It seems that I only manage to photograph female Emperors when they are ovipositing or, occasionally, mating. Such was the case on this day. This female was exceptionally blue on its abdomen - they usually range from lime-green  to 'bluish'.

Emperor (Anax imperator) (female, ovipositing) - Cadnam Common
Here's a video clip of the action.
It was while I was photographing the ovipositing Emperor that the pony showed up with its foal, walking right by me (almost close enough to touch) and stopping at the water's edge. The female adult stopped to drink, but the foal didn't seem that keen on water.

New Forest Pony (mare + foal) - Cadnam Common

And a video clip of that event too.
After a while, the ponies wandered off, but soon stopped so that the foal could have the drink it really wanted.
New Forest Pony (mare + foal) - Cadnam Common
Having had its thirst quenched, there then followed the most enchanting episode of the visit here. The foal ran off and hid behind a bush, maybe a hundred metres away. It then jumped out as the mare approached its position. It was obviously a game that it enjoyed, as it promptly did the same thing again!

While this was going on, the male Emperor was back in action, and then settled once more in an equally unphotogenic position.

Emperor (Anax imperator) (male) - Cadnam Common
It was now time to head back to base. However, the Forest Glade Ice Cream shop in Lyndhurst makes it's own ice cream which is some of the best that I have ever tasted. The girls had been having daily visits there, and I had been missing out on this. This day I sorted it out and had a delicious salted caramel ice cream on my way back.

After a latish evening meal, I  relaxed and wrote up my notes while the girls went out to try and find 'wild' donkeys with young.

It hadn't been the most productive of days but was, nevertheless, highly enjoyable.
 
 
As mentioned above, my next blog post, which will probably just cover the following day, is likely to be a rather long one.
 
In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature.
 
Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard


20 comments:

  1. Gracias por tus reportajes. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, Richard: As far as I know, I have never seen a pink waterlily, my experience being limited to white and yellow, both spectacular, but I imagine pink would be equally so. Great little videos. The foal obviously prefers warm milk to cold water and doesn't even have to wander down to the pond to get it. I was curious about the blue abdomen of the female Blue Emperor, so I checked my reference for European dragonflies (Europe's Dragonflies. Princeton University Press, Dave Smallshire and Andy Swash) and here is what it says, "Female abdomen often blue, as male....." Having no experience of this species you would know better than I, but perhaps it is not as uncommon as it might seem. Best wishes to you and Lindsay - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello David. Thank you for your comment about the female Emperor. I do not have the book that you refer to, but I do have the Princeton WILDGuides 'Britain's Dragonflies' by the same authors and the wording is a little different in that:- "The abdomen is mainly dull green, sometimes blue". I have seen reference somewhere to the tendency to blue being related to warmer temperatures. This may explain the small difference in wording - southern Europe = warmer temperatures. I had previously understood that the blue tended to be a more greenish-blue in UK. However, I have just gone back over my own photographic records and see that I do have a couple of shots (amongst many) of a female with a blue (rather than greenish-blue) abdomen, although this is more of a 'washed out' appearance.

      Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
  3. Lovely post Richard. Like the ovipositing Emperor shots and video. The header is pretty great too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc - as your dragonfly photography sets the standard that I would love to achieve, your kind comments are much-appreciated.

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  4. Hi Richard, Fabulous photos as always but for me the mare and foal are very special including the video. I so miss my horse riding days, but at my age now, I think I am safer on terra firma rather than on the back of a horse. I love your insect shots and wish I had your skills despite the very kind comment on my blog earlier today. I rely totally on the skills of my camera and my lens with out making too many changes to anything.

    Have a good week and very best wishes to you both. Cheers, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only ridden a horse once, Diane, and found it to be most uncomfortable. I guess that it was not saddled to suit me and it was quite a strain in the groin area. However, I do find horses to be particularly attractive animals. I suspect that you're right to be cautious about getting back in the saddle - we don't mend quite so easily at our age!

      My best wishes to you and Nigel - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Hello Richard....Sorry I didn't get to comment on your New Forest Part 1, but 14 other followers seemed to make up for my remiss. Another enjoyable read about your adventures in the forest, and good to see you are making some videos. Also good to think things seem to have at least 'leveled out' with yourself and Lindsey.

    Kind Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No apologies necessary Pete - I'm delighted to see you back here.

      I'm getting quite enthusiastic about the video capabilities of the Canon camera. It was such a fiddly procedure with the old Nikon set-up. At the moment I'm just shooting video in 'default' mode but will look into the options when I feel more comfortable with the stills set-up.

      Yes, thank you, things now seem to be settling down with Lindsay's situation.

      Best wishes to you and KT - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Hello Richard, great videos of the Emperor and the horse with the little one. Love the header photo. And great to read about your outing with the family.
    Take care, warm regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roos. I have just been over to see your own recent blog post and I now realise that I have a lot to learn if I am going to get to your high standards!

      My very best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  7. Even after sleeping in, you managed to capture some stunning photographs!

    I especially love the Chaser and Emperor images. Oh, and those damselflies. And the Copper.

    Okay, I love them all! Now you have me anticipating the next batch. Take your time. I'll wait right here.

    Well, I may go out for ice cream, but I'll be right back.

    Gini and I send our best to you and Lindsay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you manage to get that ice cream Wally? It's a rare day, even in the depth of winter, that Lindsay and I don't have an ice cream or an ice lolly (I suspect you call those something else over there?). We've even been known to sit out in falling snow on the island of Lindisfarne eating ice cream, but it was Alnwick Rum ice cream, which is very special!

      Best wishes to you and Gini - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Hello Richard,
    the small videos are great, seeing the dragonfly laying eggs is new to me, I've never seen it like this, I've probably never really paid attention to it... it's a very nice post, very varied and very nice Colors..
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing dragonflies laying eggs is not something that I see often, Frank, and I spend a lot of time looking for dragonflies! I'm pleased to know you like the short video clips. I feel that they help to understand what is going on when there is some action.

      My best wishes - - - - Richard

      Delete
  9. Hi Richard, Interesting but the important bit is did you enjoy yourselves. I am looking forward to a trip down that way shortly, getting away from my foxes for a couple of days. Take care.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all had a great time, thank you, Mike.The news that you are getting away for couple of days is wonderful. I hope that you get fine weather and plenty of photo opportunities. Have you found someone to feed your garden visitors while you are away, or are you just going to leave a bumper stash of food out for them in the hope that it lasts?

      Berst wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  10. Beautiful blogs Richard, the Red-eyed Damselfly is a new one, perfect. The horse and foal are they stole the heart away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. That foal was an absolute delight, and I saw many of them during our stay.

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.