Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Monday 7 August 2023

New Forest, 2023:- Pt.3 - 10th July

After my short previous blog post, I am following it up with another long one, which covers just one day of our family stay in the New Forest. If you missed the previous installments s of my account of our stay, you can find Part 1 here:-  https://peglerbirding.blogspot.com/2023/07/new-forest-2023-pt1-7th-8th-july.html, and Part 2 here:- https://peglerbirding.blogspot.com/2023/08/new-forest-2023-pt2-9th-july.html 

Monday, 10th July          Hatchet Moor : Crockford Stream : Normandy Lagoon : Japonica Cottage

The day started breezy, later turning windy, with sunny intervals throughout the day.
 
I had put out my portable moth trap on the Sunday night, so the first job of this day was to empty it. This proved to be hazardous, as it had  turned rather breezy and possibly 30% of the catch escaped before identification or were discarded as not being interesting enough to spend my time on as I had other things to do! The retained ones were potted for later photography prior to release.

After breakfast, I headed out to the small pond adjacent to Hatchet Moor car park.

The first thing I  spotted, moments after getting out of my, car was a Dark Green Fritillary. I didn't manage to identify it at the time but when I mentioned it to someone, he assured me that it would have been a Silver-washed Fritillary. I only managed to fire off two frames before it departed, but I can tell from those two shots that it was a Dark Green Fritillary. I don't know if this is unusual for the area, but I suspect not.
 
Dark Green Fritillary (Speyeria aglaja) (female) - Hatchet Moor
A wander round the pond, trying to keep out of the stiff breeze, produced a few dragonflies and butterflies, all hunkering down trying to keep out of the breeze.
 
Common Blue Damselfly (Enallagma cyathigerum) (male) - Hatchet Moor
This Gatekeeper was a male, as can be seen by the dark 'sex brand' on the forewings.


Gatekeeper (Pyronia tithonus) (male) - Hatchet Moor
You may have noticed, in those last three images, the spikey leaves of what I believe was Gorse. Those spikes are quite sharp and I was wearing thin trousers ('pants' to those on the other side of the Atlantic). The moor round the south side of the pond was densely covered by these bushes, with narrow trails between them, and in many places it was not possible to pass without squeezing between bushes. This was rather uncomfortable!
 
In this next image, the front skipper is a female (no sex brand). I suspect the one behind is a male with amorous intentions.

Large Skipper (Ochlodes sylvanus) (female + male(?)) - Hatchet Moor

This male Black-tailed Skimmer was resting on the ground, but it didn't stop him from grabbing a passing female to mate with!

Black-tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) (male) - Hatchet Moor

Black-tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) (male+female in cop) - Hatchet Moor

In a more open area at the edge of the gorse, I found Silver-studded Blue. These were all extremely worn.

Silver-studded Blue (Plebejus argus) (female) - Hatchet Moor

Silver-studded Blue (Plebejus argus) (male) - Hatchet Moor

I am not sure of the sex of this skipper as I didn't see it with open wings. I am also a bit puzzled by the underside. I had noted it as a Large Skipper, but I would have expected bolder markings on the underside, as in the two shown earlier in this post. By the 'pointed' rear to the abdomen, I'm guessing it was a female.

Large Skipper? (Ochlodes sylvanus ?) (female ?) - Hatchet Moor

In a previous blog post, I have mentioned that the female Keeled Skimmer looks as if it has been made of the purest gold. I should have qualified this by saying that this is when they are relatively freshly emerged. They then get more and more like old gold as they mature. This one is still relatively fresh.

Keeled Skimmer (Orthetrum coerulescens) (female) - Hatchet Moor
As I headed back to our car, I stopped to photograph some Canada Geese with young.
 
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) - Hatchet Moor
After this, I drove a short way down the road to Crockford Clump, and walked over to Crockford Stream. Here I was re-acquainted with all the key five dragonfly and damselfly species from my Saturday visit. However, I did not manage photos of Small Red Damselfly, but I did have the added bonus of an Emperor.
 
Beautiful Demoiselle (Calopteryx virgo) (male) - Crockford Stream

Beautiful Demoiselle (Calopteryx virgo) (female) - Crockford Stream

The wing-flicking action by a male can be seen in this video clip, as can photo-bombing by a Small Red Damselfly!
Unfortunately, the 'Mercury' mark on the second abdomen segment of this Southern Damselfly does not show clearly, but that is what it is.
 
Southern Damselfly (Coenagrion mercuriale) (male) - Crockford Stream

Although my prime objective was dragons and damsels, I did find a couple of other items to photograph.
 
The Pellucid Hoverfly is one of the largest flies in Britain.
 
Pellucid Hoverfly (Volucella pellucens) (female) - Crockford Stream

Linnet (Linaria cannabina) (immature) - Crockford Stream

The expected Keeled Skimmers were seen.
 
Keeled Skimmer (Orthetrum coerulescens) (male) - Crockford Stream

An ovipositing Emperor appeared and I noted that this too had a blue abdomen - something that I commented on in my previous blog post.
 
Emperor (Anax imperator) (female, ovipositing) - Crockford Stream

A newly emerged Common Darter took me by surprised as I was not expecting to see this species here and, at first sight, took to be a female Keeled Skimmer. 

Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) (female) - Crockford Stream
The stars of the show were, of course, the fabulous Golden-ringed Dragonflies, of which there were at least two. In the first image below, the dragonfly seems to be dining on a wasp species.
 
Golden-ringed Dragonfly (Cordulegaster boltonii) (male) - Crockford Stream
Just after mid-day, I departed for Normandy, just south west of Lymington. Having found a place to park, I had my picnic lunch in the car before heading to have a look at Normandy Lagoon. This location had been recommended to me by someone I had chatted with at Keyhaven. My main target here was Little Tern. I spotted a very distant one as I arrived, and noted a number of other species of bird on an island that was rather beyond the distance that my lens could cope with.
 
I took a shot of an Avocet that was not too far away, and a Black-headed Gull that flew past.
 
Avocet (Recurvirostra avosetta) - Normandy Lagoon

Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) - Normandy Lagoon

My eyesight is not so good these days, but I spent some time chatting with a very knowledgable lady who was, very kindly, pointing out the Little Terns and warning of their approach so that I could attempt flight shots.  I spent ages trying, but these are small birds that fly quickly and I just could not find them in the viewfinder and get focus before they disappeared. I eventually gave up.
 
This lady also alerted me to a Little Tern youngster on the island which was being visited by both parents bringing in food for it on a quite frequent basis. I tried for some shots of this, and fared somewhat better, although a longer lens would have helped.


Little Tern (Sternula albifrons) (adult + young) - Normandy Lagoon
A Common  Tern, also with a youngster, was a little closer on the island before flying off.
 
Common Tern (Sterna hirundo) (adult + young) - Normandy Lagoon
Common Tern (Sterna hirundo) - Normandy Lagoon
The helpful lady had departed and, after a while, I decided that I was not going to get any decent shots of Little Tern, so wandered off, heading westward along the sea wall, to see what else I  might find.
 
On the way to the sea wall, I photographed a couple of non-avian itms. One Hogweed plant held a number of Common Red Soldier Beetles, most of which were doing what this species is famous for.
 
Common Red Soldier Beetle (Rhagonycha fulva) (male+female in cop) - by Normandy Lagoon

Small Skipper (Thymelicus sylvestris) (female) - near Normandy Lagoon

Arriving on top of the sea wall, I saw a Little Egret that was busy feeding. As it seemed oblivious to people on the sea wall path, I was able to get quite close. It was having some success, as can be seen in the next two shots.
 
Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) - near Normandy Lagoon

I tend to think of Egrets as being rather elegant birds, but that is not always the case!
 
Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) - near Normandy Lagoon

I continued along the sea wall for a little while, until I reached the yacht club's lagoon. The way forward seemed a little uninviting and, knowing that I had moths to deal with back at base, I started heading back to my car. 
 
I stopped to photograph some Canada Geese that were passing, mainly to get flight shot practice.
 
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) - near Normandy Lagoon
Suddenly, just a few metres from where I was about to leave the sea wall, a Little Tern was in front of me fishing. I didn't manage any splash shots, but I did get some flight shots that aren't too bad. As Little Tern is classed as 'scarce or local', I don't get many opportunities to photograph them. At the risk of overloading you with this delightful little bird, here's some of what I managed.



Little Tern (Sternula albifrons) - Normandy Lagoon

For me, this was a fabulous end to my time out.

Back at base, I set up to photograph the 19 potted moths from the trap. I managed to lose 7 more of these before sorting their identity or photographing them. Of the twelve left, five were a new species for me. Here are four of the five.

Single-dotted Wave (Idaea dimidiata) - from Japonica moth trap on 23-07-09

Nut-tree Tussock (Colocasia coryli) - from Japonica moth trap on 23-07-09

Brown-tail (Euproctis chrysorrhoea) (male)- from Japonica moth trap on 23-07-09
Slender Brindle (Apamea scolopacina) - from Japonica moth trap on 23-07-09

The Buff Ermine is a rather common, but attractive, moth. This one was somewhat darker and less spotted than usual.

Buff Ermine (Spilosoma lutea) (male) - from Japonica moth trap on 23-07-09

 
This brings me to the end of this post. I believe my next post, in about a week, will be Pt.4 of my account of this holiday and, although a little shorter than this one, cover the following two days. The final Pt.5 following at a later date.

In the meantime, please take good care of yourselves and Nature.

Thank you for dropping by - - - Richard
 

20 comments:

  1. Wow. Some lovely photography there Richard. Not sure where to start but love them all. Excellent compositions. The last Little Tern flight shot is up there as are the many damselfly shots. Keep them coming. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those kind words, Marc. I must admit to being more than a little pleased with that last Little Tern shot, especially as I had failed so miserably not long before that!

      I do love the New forest - it has so much going for it.

      Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  2. Hi Richard! Very interesting nature observations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a great day, Richard, lots to see and your camera was kept busy. The gold on that female Keeled Skimmer is amazing. It reminds me of the days when insect brooches were commonly worn. Naturally, I am glad that the Canada Geese are doing well and a healthy youngster is always a welcome sight. The Golden-ringed Dragonfly is large and impressive, with fabulous colouration. Not hard to see why that species is a favourite. The Little Tern is hard to beat though; such an endearing little bird. Finally, I would be remiss in my observations if I did not acknowledge that you still hold the unchallenged title as the Dr. Kinsey of the wonderful world of nature, with your picture of soldier beetles doing what soldier beetles do so well. Your reputation remains intact! Best wishes to you and Lindsay - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless there was a howling gale and continual rain, it would be hard to have a bad day in the New Forest, David. Even driving down country lanes has its delights, and there is so much there that I have not found yet.

      So now I have a reputation to live up to? That could be a bit of a challenge, but I shall try not to disappoint.

      Best wishes to you and Miriam - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. In due course we will all be looking forward to your illustrated book. The text should be really interesting!

      Delete
    3. Not sure that I can rise to the challenge of interesting text, David. My background is too steeped in the writing of boring technical reports!

      Delete
  4. One would think that after partaking of such a huge buffet of sweet delights that I couldn't possibly want any more.

    One would be mistaken.

    I can't wait for more!

    In the interim, I'll keep reviewing these images over and over. Simply fabulous, Richard! So much to savor. The variety, the details, the technically stunning photographs. Incredible.

    Count me in with the crowd. Although I think all of the images are terrific, your Little Tern is special. And the Golden-ringed Dragonfly - well - that would have made the whole trip worth while for me!

    All is good over here. We're hot. It is summer. Gini is recovering nicely from her surgical escapades. Some fall (!) migrants are already arriving with their suitcases under wing looking for the worms we promise early birds.

    Gini and I hope you and Lindsay are well and having as much fun as British law permits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted that Gini is recovering from her surgery, Wally. I know how challenging this can be for all concerned!

      Sadly, Lindsay is not doing so well and, as of today, she is back on crutches again after having abandoned them about three months ago. We're now hoping that our National Health system can get itself sorted out so that she does not have to wait too long for a replacement hip and other knee.

      As I mentioned in my comment on your own recent blog post, we have had a few days of fine weather this week. As a consequence, I have managed three local excursions in that short space of time - this is for the first time (other than vacations) since 19th June! This means that I will, hopefully, have some material to share via this site when I've finished my account of our New Forest visit.

      Best wishes to you and Gini - - - Richard

      Delete
  5. Hello Richard,
    You did a great job on the last shots in flight, flight shots are anything but easy, everyone has their problems with that, the dragonflies, you'll know, are of course my highlights again, after that come the butterflies, beautiful details and colors, the (new ) Camera shows its full potential...
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frank. I still have a lot to learn with the new camera, but feel that I am getting better, bit by bit. Flight shots, especially of small subjects like dragonflies, are still a major challenge, however.

      Best wishes - - - Richard

      Delete
  6. Another great post with susch interesting photos. The one that really took my eye was the dragon fly apparently eating a wasp. I need to attract some dragonflies to our garden!!

    Love the Tern in flight shots and I find the moths interesting. I really ought to try a moth trap as i seldom see any here. A happy egret with a very tiny fish, I guess it needs to catch quite a lot of those to fill that tummy!! As for fritillaries I find them quite difficult to ID but there is a good website with French IDs.
    Take care both of you, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be interested to know what species of wasp the dragonfly was eating, Diane, but although I took several shots of this event, none of them show the wasp in enough detail for me to hazard a guess at its ID.

      Moth traps can be very interesting, but are also quite time-consuming when it comes to sorting out what is in the catch. The Obsidentify app seems to be very good at identifying moths.

      In some respects, we are fortunate in not having too many options to consider when trying to identify fritllaries. I think that you probably have rather more in the way of species where you are.

      My very best wishes to you and Nigel - - - - Richard

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the Obsidentify app tip but I will have to do some research as I do not seem able to download it!!! D

      Delete
    3. That's strange, Diane. It's available for all Europe and on Apple and Android devices. Could it be a strorage issue on your phone?

      Delete
  7. Hello Richard, stunning post with so much caterpllars, butterflies and moths. Than the Little Stern is most wonderful. Never saw one. Such an elegant bird. Enjoyed this post of yours very much.
    Warm regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Roos. I think something must have got lost in the translation as there are no caterpillars in this blog post. The Little Tern is a most delightful bird, and I wish I had more opportunities to observe them.

      Thank you for your visit and kind words. My very best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete
  8. Fantastic Richard for Butterflies, Dragonflies and fabulous Birds, too much to comment on. Clear and photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much-appreciated, Bob - sorry for the overload!. Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

      Delete

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.