Pages

Notes on Use of This Blog


1. I have a policy that I always reply to comments on my blog, even if it's just to say thank you.

2. Please don't submit comments that include your own web address. For obvious reasons, they will not be published.

3. I'm now on Twitter - @RichardPegler1

Sunday 18 October 2009

River Trent on 13th July 2009

We set off on our boat for a two-day trip to Gunthorpe and back, down the River Trent through Nottingham. Soon after leaving base, near to Attenborough Nature Reserve, we found a lone gull on the bank. At first, I took it for a Lesser Black-backed Gull. However, we were looking straight into the sun, and I see from my pics that the back of this gull (in the sunshine) looks quite a pale grey. The legs were bright yellow, and so I think that this was probably a Yellow-legged Gull.
.
Having passed through Nottingham, the weather deteriorated badly, and soon we were getting very wet under black skies. Fortunately the rain stopped before we found the banks with the Sand Martins, although we were still under solid dark cloud. It was no better when a (large-looking) egret lazily flapped by us, going up stream. I realized that, with palish bill and dark feet, this must have been a Great White Egret.
.
I'm pleased to say that the evening cleared up nicely, so we enjoyed a pleasant night - and an even better morning (see below).
.

(possible) Yellow-legged Gull
.





Sand Martin
.


Great White Egret
.
Coot (juvenile & adult)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Note: Blogger seems to be making it difficult for some (many?) people to leave comments on blogs, and also making it difficult for the recipient of comments to detect that a comment has been left. If you have any difficulties leaving a comment on the blog, please feel free to email me on richard@peglermail.co.uk. However, if you are solely trying to promote your own blog or business by leaving a link in your comment, it will be blocked. If anyone wants to find you as a result of a comment that you have left, they can do so by looking at your profile.

Please, Blogger, get this mess sorted out.